Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Training Forums > Teen Training Forum

Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Snowblind3

Snowblind3 is on a distinguished road
Gaining 34 lbs of muscle in a month?

I'm sure a lot of you have heard about Timothy Ferris, best seller of 4 hour workweek and the 4 hour body.

He has an unusual way of proving the ordinary and popular wrong..and doing it spectacularly. Well, a snippet of his 4h body book was that he gained 34lbs of muscle in a month..and he pictures to prove it with.

I'd like to know if any mod could pitch in and perhaps explain some of the science behind this, because it is astounding.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...le-in-4-weeks/
Snowblind3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Kabuki
Moderator & Shins Verified

Kabuki is on a distinguished road
I read Tim's book and besides a few interesting tidbits I was unimpressed... But then again I knew a lot of the research he referenced already.

What didn't impress me was how he manipulated things that may make a significant impression on those that lack knowledge. His training recommendations are pretty poor.

Anyway I don't remember all the details of this one but I believe he was around 180ish lbs from training prior to take time off to tango. So it's important to note that he was just returning to previously achieved levels of muscle mass

On several occasions in his book he detailed bodyweight manipulation similiar to what fighters and PLers do losing 20-30lbs. I believe at the end of that experiment he noted some last minute details on how he was able to increase the water glucose intake in his muscles.... And I wouldn't be suprised one bit if he did the some manipulation the other direction prior to first hydro weighing

Now also add in that he was in a completely untrained state and then began training and eating....that in itself is going to increase glucose uptake in muscle and show an increase in muscle. Just like all those people that gain 10lbs when taking creatine... Did they put on 10lbs of muscle that week?

So was this an experiment in how much muscle he could gain in 28 days....or an experiment in how much he could LOOK like he gained in 28 days???

Hell is I "wanted" to I could make it look like I gained 25-30lbs in a couple days and have pictures as well that show a difference.

It's stuff like this that left me disapointed in his book because there was some good stuff.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
exmgtoo
Site owner

exmgtoo is on a distinguished road
im calling bs on this one. 34lbs in 1 month of muscle? aint happening.
exmgtoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Kabuki
Moderator & Shins Verified

Kabuki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmgtoo View Post
im calling bs on this one. 34lbs in 1 month of muscle? aint happening.
read my response. It didn't happen. He did "measure" 34lbs of more muscle at the end of the month...but he preped for the first measure in and was in an untrained state. Trained and at all month and then prepped for the final measure.

I have 220lbs of lean mass right now...If I dropped my BW to 220 how much lean mass would I show 195-200ish lbs of lean mass. Take some pics and I look 'wasted' and 'flat'

Put the water back on then overbloat to 250lbs and the hydro weighing shows me at 230lbs lean mass. take some pics, shaved now, muslce full of glycogen now, and of course make them bigger than the other pics and walla I look better...AND I GAINED 35lbs of muscle in 3 days!

He did it over 28 days (to make it slighly more realistic) but this is exactly what he did. He did the same a similiar sort of thing to demonstate fat loss by eating like crap over a weekend. and also did a 30lb cut to enter some rare version of fighting while overseas (that people hadn't cut for in the past) so that he get a world title champion to add to his credibility.

He has done this on multiple occasions and it becomes clear if you read his book and are familiar with these methods.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck. is on a distinguished road
Everything Chris said is right on. I've seen this type of thing in BB'ing circles many times. As you near contest and begin to prep it is absolutely amazing what you can do to your body by making the slightest changes.

This is sort of off topic, but certainly will help with perspective. When you talk about gaining an actual lb. of muscle. Someone told me several years ago to think of a lb of hamburger meat or a lb of steak. and compare that to anywhere on your body. That is a lot of meat! Gaining even one lb of muscle is no small thing....now, 34?! Nah...
bLacKjAck. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
exmgtoo
Site owner

exmgtoo is on a distinguished road
im agreeing with you chris. =0)

i do this all the time w/my fighters (and w/myself back when i cut 20+lbs in 24 hours to make weight for meets) they are 20-25lbs heavier after they make weight 24 hours later, and they look completely different.
exmgtoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
AF muscle
Strength and Physique Verified

AF muscle is on a distinguished road
Snowblind,

If you believe this guy, then I have a bridge for sale! NO way! Not with all the pharmacy sups in the world, would this guy add 34lbs of lean body mass in only 4 weeks. Untrained or not, especially if he was 180+ before taking time off. This guy is selling an image, not reality. He would be extremely gifted to put on 34lbs of lbm in a year! Assisted or not!
AF muscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaining, lbs, month, muscle