Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Training Forums > Powerlifting Forum

Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
ironmuscle

ironmuscle is on a distinguished road
foot position

Whenever I set up for any lift and position my feet "square" to the bar, it feels very uncomfortable and they always shift during the movement. My left foot always ends up more forward than the right. Anyone else deal with this issue? Is this causing any harm?
ironmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
disciple X
Senior Member Strength Verified

disciple X is on a distinguished road
Probably wouldnt hurt you to go see a chiro...
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
nator

nator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple X View Post
Probably wouldnt hurt you to go see a chiro...

2nd that opinion. If it is uncomfortable the best thing is to stop doing it. When I set up for squat my feet are never perfectly square, come to think of it I doubt the are completely squat on any lift. If it is causing you pain, take the time and get it checked out.
nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
SFGiantsPBA
Strength Verified

SFGiantsPBA is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmuscle View Post
Whenever I set up for any lift and position my feet "square" to the bar, it feels very uncomfortable and they always shift during the movement. My left foot always ends up more forward than the right. Anyone else deal with this issue? Is this causing any harm?
Your starting out in a bad position and your body adjusts to stabilize yourself this happens a lot to me right now walking out squats because I spent a lot of time like 2 year in a mono rack.

you need to start out with your feet already in a good position and the will not be perfect bro but also should have a huge difference either like one foot straight the other with toe at a 45 then that is bad.

It most likely feel very uncomfortable because you not is a position best to stabilize yourself making you work even harder to get a lift.

If your not balanced meaning stable to the ground our form starts going to shit and you fight it to get a lift.

Bicep tendon torn off the shoulder and several rotator cuff tears, will fix it someday but until then training isn't the same but I do what I can.
SFGiantsPBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
exmgtoo
Site owner

exmgtoo is on a distinguished road
scoliosis is a possibility. hips rotated or tilted. one leg shorter than the other. muscular imbalance. could be a number of things.
exmgtoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
SFGiantsPBA
Strength Verified

SFGiantsPBA is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmgtoo View Post
scoliosis is a possibility. hips rotated or tilted. one leg shorter than the other. muscular imbalance. could be a number of things.
I get the hip thing and have had to have my leg pulled many times because it shorten and this is pre-lifting years.

Bicep tendon torn off the shoulder and several rotator cuff tears, will fix it someday but until then training isn't the same but I do what I can.
SFGiantsPBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
ironmuscle

ironmuscle is on a distinguished road
Will be seeing a chiropractor soon. It doesn't cause pain, just unbalanced. Foot angles are not the problem just my left foot ends up about 1inch in front of my right. I herniated l5/s1 2yrs ago. I kinda thought I might just be looking crooked at my set up. I'm gonna try and rig up some chalk lines and see what happens.
ironmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
eric89
Strength Verified

eric89
It could be a number of things. I agree with the things exmgtoo suggested. I would not worry so much about the foot position affecting your lift. There are many other mental aspects I would be thinking about when setting up for a big lift.

I would however, would see a chiropractor. I have the same issue with the staggered stance, it is comfortable. However, I am aware that I have issue with my hip sublixating in different directions. The reason you feel weird when squared up to the bar is bc the body has accommodated, for whatever reason it may be. It registers that the squared position is off balance for you. A little chiropractic work might help reduced the muscle imbalances and proper function/ biomechanics of the joints involved.

Tags
foot, position