Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Miscellaneous > General Discussions: What is on your mind?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
crusher777777
Senior Member Strength Verified

crusher777777 is on a distinguished road
Woke up this morning and can't hear out of my right ear...

I went out last night and there was a lot of loud music, and now I wake up this morning and I can't hear very well out of my right ear... It almost feels like there's water in my ear or something. I've also had a cold the past couple of days and I may have slept on my ear, I'm not sure if those are factors. I really hope I haven't permanently lost any hearing. Has anybody else experienced something similar? Could it just be temporary? Also if I put pressure on it it hurts a little, not much though. It kind of feels like it needs to pop, but it's only in my right ear.
crusher777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Doc D
IA Verified

Doc D is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher777777 View Post
Also if I put pressure on it it hurts a little, not much though. It kind of feels like it needs to pop, but it's only in my right ear.
From the symptoms, it's otitis media. Easy to contract if you've had some kind of cold and have suitably configured Eustachian tubes. It might clear up; it might get A LOT worse, until your eardrum pops (you should have a nice fever by then).

If you go to a doc, s/he MIGHT give you an antibiotic prescription, or adopt a wait-and-see approach (if it's viral, it will pass; if it's bacterial, or becomes so, the antibiotics would make sense, but you still might fend it off).

Not much you can really do apart from pamper yourself and drink lots of fluids. Pain meds may help the symptoms, but might also mask negative developments. There's been some research on the potential benefits of Xylitol (in terms of prevention), but too late for that now. There's some controversy regarding whether nasal decongestants can help unblock the Eustachian tubes; I'd try one, if I were you.

The ear could also just be blocked by wax, but the circumstances make this less likely.

NB: even if your ear wants to pop, try to refrain from auto-inflation techniques (holding nose and blowing). You might just blast more infection up into the middle ear.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
crusher777777
Senior Member Strength Verified

crusher777777 is on a distinguished road
Well that's better than permanently losing hearing lol. I'm taking some cold medicine, and I guess I'll start drinking more fluids, hopefully that will help. I have a pretty strong immune system, I only get sick about once every 2 years, so hopefully I can fight it off without too much trouble. I guess I'll wait and see if it gets any better before I go to the doctor. Thanks for the help!
crusher777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Doc D
IA Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher777777 View Post
Well that's better than permanently losing hearing lol.
It can happen, but usually from a severe infection. Depending on the extent of infection, you will probably experience some degree of hearing loss for a while (even as long as a few months) as a result of the gunk in your middle ear. If the gunk fails to clear, grommets could be inserted, but this will probably not be necessary.

Kids suffer from this very frequently on account of the structure of their Eustachian tubes, and the vast majority experience no long-term deterioration of hearing.

But NB: if you start feeling sick and develop a good fever, get to the doc for antibiotics quickly.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Armedcor

Armedcor is on a distinguished road
I've had this happen to me a few times. Usually after a really load heavy metal gig.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
jesus rocks
Banned

Location: Adel has webbed turtle toes...pretty gross if you ask me.
jesus rocks is on a distinguished road
you could have also perforated an ear drum. Wouldn't hurt to check.
jesus rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
Doc D
IA Verified

In response to above:

1. Actual pain to the touch is unlikely from a gig (said as a veteran of hundreds of death/black metal/HC gigs). Always good to wear ear plugs, though. The pain is from pressure from the gunk trapped in the middle ear.

2. Perforation is unlikely because of the 'popping' (which should only occur if the eardrum is still intact). The pain also usually subsides when the perforation occurs as the pressure is released.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
jesus rocks
Banned

Location: Adel has webbed turtle toes...pretty gross if you ask me.
jesus rocks is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...I worked as a hearing conservationist for 6 months, and I've rarely seen the pain subside when the perforation occurs. Maybe you losers across the ocean have funky TMs
jesus rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Doc D
IA Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus rocks View Post
Hmmm...I worked as a hearing conservationist for 6 months, and I've rarely seen the pain subside when the perforation occurs.
Some lessening of pain and, depending on circumstances, some improvement in hearing may follow. No clinical background, but plenty of observation of kids. But I freely admit that I had no improvement in either respect when my eardrum popped. FWIW, this was probably the most unpleasant episode of pain that I have ever experienced - coming at the end of two weeks of constant sickness and high fever (flu > erythema infectiosum from kids - usually a minor disease, but I was already very weak > sinusitis > otitis media). If I'd had the knowledge (or common sense) back then, I'd have gone to the doc once the (bacterial) sinusitis developed, which might have saved me from the last week of suffering, a good half year of compromised hearing, and a subsequently established susceptibility to similar infection. I've done some pretty hideous things to myself over the years, but this - which sounds so trifling - probably takes the biscuit.

Tags
ear, hear, morning, woke