Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Diet/Nutrition > General Supplements Forum

Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
TheBrent
Teen Forum Moderator

TheBrent is on a distinguished road
Serrapeptase

Serrapeptase is an enzyme originally derived from the silkworm that digests non-living tissue, including blood clots, cysts, scar tissue, arterial plaque and reduces inflammation.

Serrapeptase offers a viable alternative to salicylates (such as aspirin), ibuprofen, and NSAIDS as well as steroids?a boon for those suffering with rheumatoid arthritis and a wide array of other autoimmune diseases that affect the inflammatory response, including ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, uveitis, allergies.

While antiinflammatory drugs may offer temporary, symptomatic relief from pain, swelling and inflammation, they may also be immunosuppressive and known to hold dangerous side effects. Serrapeptase, on the other hand, eases pain and swelling with no inhibitory effects on prostaglandins and no gastrointestinal side effects. The immunologically active enzyme is completely bound to the alpha 2 macroglobulin in biological fluids.

The physiologic agent is isolated from the microorganism Serratia E15, an enzyme naturally present in the silkworm intestine which allows the emerging moth to dissolve its cocoon. Clinical use of serrapeptase as an antiinflammatory in Europe and Asia spans over twenty five years. Treatment includes chronic sinusitis, elimination of bronchopulmonary secretions (the enzyme breaks down protein fibers, allowing mucous to thin), sprains and torn ligaments, and other traumatic injuries, edema, as well as postoperative inflammation.

Studying postoperative swelling and pain reduction of the upper ankle joint, a test was carried out in 3 randomized groups of 66 patients, each with fresh rupture of the lateral ligament treated surgically between December 1986 and April 1987. The group receiving Serrapeptase saw a 50% decrease in swelling on the third postoperative day. Decreased pain, for the most part, correlated with reduction in swelling. The Serrapeptase group became rapidly pain-free. The two control groups, using traditional elevation of the leg, bed rest, with and without applications of ice, had no reduction in swelling at that time. (Esch PM, Gerngross H, Fabian A, Fortachr Med,107(4):67.8, 71-2 1989 Feb 10)

Another multi-center, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was carried out to investigate the clinical efficacy of Serrapeptase in 174 patients who underwent Caldwell-Luc antrotomy for chronic empyema. Eighty-eight patients received 10 mg Serrapeptase 3 times the day before surgery, once the night of the operation and 3 times daily for 5 days after surgery; the other 86 received a placebo. The degree of swelling in the serrapeptase-treated patients was significantly less than that in the placebo-treated patients at every point of observation after surgery up to the 5th day. Maximal buccal swelling throughout all the postoperative points of observation was also significantly smaller in size in the Serrapeptase group. No side effects were reported. (Tachibana M, Mizukosi 0, Harada Y, Kawamoto K, Nakai Y. Source: Pharmathera-peutica, 3(Cool:526-30 1984).

Additionally, Serrapeptase in a 70 patient, double-blind controlled trial treating breast engorgement saw Serrapeptase improve breast pain and swelling in significant numbers of the treatment group with no adverse reactions. (Kee WH, Tan SL; Lee V, Salmon YM .Singapore Med J, 30(I) :48-54 1989 Feb)

Researchers in Germany have used Serrapeptase to treat atherosclerosis since serrapeptase helps to digest atherosclerotic plaque without harming healthy cells lining the arterial wall. The hardened, narrow arterial wall is considered the cumulative result of microscopic trauma with inflammation occurring in the presence of oxidized lipids?serrapeptase works on both inflammation as well as dissolving the avital plaque. Unlike cholesterol-blocking drugs, serrapeptase clears the avital tissue from the arterial wall without interfering with cholesterol synthesis. In fact, when taking serrapeptase, cholesterol levels may rise as it is dissolved from the arteries to be eliminated from the body (cholesterol in its pure state is an antioxidant and a necessary component of steroidal hormones and the major organ systems in the body).

Medications blocking cholesterol biosynthesis hold the threat of liver, eye, lung and other soft tissue damage. While studies with Serrapeptase in the treatment of coronary artery disease are relatively new; some literature reports Serrapeptase as being superior to, and faster than, chelation.

The late German physician Dr. Hans Nieper used serrapeptase to treat arterial blockage in his coronary patients, reporting that serrapeptase also dissolves blood clots, and causes varicose veins to shrink or diminish.  A US physician prescribing Serrapeptase told of a woman scheduled for hand amputation and a man scheduled for bypass surgery; both recovered without surgery after treatment with serrapeptase.

In addition, Serrapeptase  has been used for fibrocystic breast disease and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Serrapeptase is also used to facilitate the therapeutic effect of antibiotics in the treatment of infection. In urology serrapeptase has been successfully employed to treat cystitis and epididymitis.

References:

1. Kee WH, Tan SL, Lee V, Salmon YM. The treatment of breast engorgement with Serrapeptase (Danzen): a randomized double-blind controlled trial. Singapore Med J. 1989;30(1):48-54.

2. Mizukoshi, D. et al. A double-blind clinical study of serrapeptase in the treatment of chronic sinusitis. Igaku Ayrni 109:50-62.1979.

3. Carratu, L. et al. Physio-chemical and rheological research on mucolytic activity of serrapeptase in chronic broncho-pneumopathies. Curr.Ther. Res. 28(6):937-951. 1980.

4. Braga, P.C. et al. Effects of serrapeptase on muco-ciliary clearance in patients with chronic bronchitis. Curr. Ther. Res. 29(5):738-744,1981.

5. Mazzone A, et al. Evaluation of Serratia peptidase in acute or chronic inflammation of otorhinolaryngology pathology: a multicentre, double-blind, randomized trial versus placebo. J Int Med Res. 1990; 18(5):379-88.

6. Conticello, S. et al. La serrapeptase in ORL Nuova Clin. ORL 31:15-20,1979.

7. Pallotti, S. et al. Valutazu-one della'attivita fibrinolytica della serrapeptase. Farmaci 3:163-173,1982.

8. Kakinumu, A. et al. Regression of fibrinolysis in scalded rats by administration of serrapeptase. Biochem. Pharmacol. 31:2861-2866,1982.

9. Marly, M. Enzymotherapie anti-inflammatoire a l'aide de la serrapeptase: resultats cliniques en traumatologie et en ORL. C RTherapeut. 3:9-19,1985.

10. Odagiri, J. et al. Clinical applications of serrapeptase in sinusitis. Med. Consult. New Remedy 6:201-209, 1979.

11. Yamazaki, J. et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of TSP, a protease produced by a strain of Serratia. Folia Pharmacol. Japon. 6^302-314,1967.

12. Elies, W. et al. Akute und subakute Entzundungen der Nassenbenholen. Z. Allmeinmed. 4:92-95, 1987.

13. Harada, Y. Clinical efficacy of serrapeptase on buccal swelling after radical operation for chronic sinusitis. Igaku Ayumi 123:768-778.1982.

14. Matsudo, A. et at. Effect of serrapeptase (Danzen) on inflammatory edema following operation for thyropid disease. Med. Consult. New Remedy 18:171-175, 1981.

15. Perna, L. Osservazioni cliniche sul trattamento in doppio cieco con Serratio peptidasi, nella rinite perenne nella rinitie cronica riacutizzata con sinusopatia. nella bronchite cronica riacutizzata. Riv. Pat. Clin.Tuberc. Penumol. 56:509-516,1985.

16. Fujitani, T. et al. Effect of anti-inflammatory agent on transfer of antibiotics to the maxillary sinus mucosa in chronic sinusitis. Otorhinolaryngol. Clin. North Am. 66:557-565. 1976.

17. Tago. T. and Mitsui, S. Effects of serrapeptase in dissolution of sputum, especially in patients with bronchial asthma. Jap. Clin. Exp. Med. 49:222-228, 1972.

18. Tomoda, K. and Miyatam K. Some information on the composition of tracheal secretions before and after the administration of serrapeptase. Exper. Ther. 477:9-16, 1972.

19. Kase Y, et al. A new method for evaluating mucolytic expectorant activity and its application to two proteolytic enzymes, serratiopeptidase and seaprose. Arznelrnitteltorachung. 1982; 32:374-378.

20. Marriott, C. Modification of the rheoloaical properties of mucus by drugs. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 144^75-84, 1982.

21. Majima. Y. et al. Effects of orally administered drugs on dynamic viscoelasticity of human nasal mucus. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 141:79-83.1990.

22. Miyata, K. Intestinal absorption of serrapeptase. J ApplBiochem. 1980:2:111-16.

23. Aso T. et al. Breast engorgement and its treatment: Clinical effects of Danzen (serrapeptase) an anti-inflammatory enzyme preparation. The world of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Japanese). 1981:33:371-9.

24. Esch PM, Gemgross H. Fabian A. Reduction of postoperative swelling. Objective measurement of swelling of the upper ankle joint in treatment with serrapeptase-a prospective study (German). FortschrMed. 1989; 107(4):67-8, 71-2.

25. Majima Y, Inagaki M, Hirata K. Takeuchi K, Morishita A, Sakakura Y. The effect of an orally administered proteolytic enzyme on the elasticity and viscosity of nasal mucus. Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 1988;244(6):355-9.

26. Selan L, Berlutti F, Passariello C, Comodi-Ballanti MR, Thaller MC. Proteolytic enzymes: a new treatment strategy for prosthetic infections? Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1993; 37(12):2618-21.

27. Koyama A, Mori J, Tokuda H, Waku M, Anno H, Katayama T, Murakami K, Komatsu H, Hirata M, Arai T, et al. Augmentation by serrapeptase of tissue permeation by cefotiam (Japanese). Jpn JAntibiot. 1986; 39(3):761-71.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
TheBrent
Teen Forum Moderator

I've got a friend who recently blew out his knee as well as some other issues and was suggested this by some of my other managers.

I did a little research and have found some good feedback, really good feedback.

I'm going to give this a run alongside hyaluronic acid as they both are fairly cheap (especially for me ) He's going to be doing the same thing which should be great feedback as he's doing lots of rehab for his injuries.

Please post up any personal experience.

The product I'll be using is SerraTrol by MRM and Hyaluronic acid by NOW (I'm thinking of waiting another few weeks to see if my normal inflammation/pain arises as my pushing movements peak in weight so I can see how great of an NSAID repalcement etc it is. Kind-of dumb, but I want to see how well it really works once pain comes)

Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
B.Money
Strength and Physique Verified/Senior Member

B.Money is on a distinguished road
Wow this is interesting... Very curious to hear feedback on it.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
TheBrent
Teen Forum Moderator

Yeah, I can't wait to see how my friend and I respond. I'll post up.

My other store has a slew of people running it. Got one trainer to try it out who had issues and now he 'requires' all of his clients to use it.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
I used it a while back and it seemed to help a quite a bit.

Wesley

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
keelvin

keelvin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
B.Money
Strength and Physique Verified/Senior Member

B.Money is on a distinguished road
So this is one of those one time use things I take it? I wonder if I should just go out and try it..
Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
I think it should be used for a minimum of three months. I would likely still be taking it if money were no object. But I already spend a stupid amount of monthly cash on supplements.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Shane_

Shane_ is on a distinguished road
Bump, Brent how did it go?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
msucurt

msucurt is on a distinguished road
Curious as well.

Tags
serrapeptase