Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Diet/Nutrition > Fat-Loss and Body Recomposition

Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Jas0n

Jas0n is on a distinguished road
Speeding up Ketosis!

G'day there.

Since I know that you're an advocate of the Keto diet IA, I wanted to share this interesting piece of advice in regards to speeding up ketosis.

I'd like to get your feedback here guys, as well as IA, in regards to the validity of this advice:

Quote:
After a normal carb-up, it takes 2-3 days of low-carbs dieting/training to get back in ketosis. This only leaves 2-3 days per week of maximal and comfortable fat loss. (Note that you'll still lose fat during the first 2-3 days in which ketosis isn't yet established.)

Some bodybuilders have been using insulin to get into ketosis faster. Insulin drives blood glucose into the muscles and reduces the mobilization of glycogen for fuel. As a result, your blood sugar goes down and the body switches to a ketogenic state much faster.

So instead of taking 2-3 days to get into ketosis, it takes them a 1/2 day. They use the insulin (low doses, around 3IU, of Humalog, the fastest acting insulin) every 2 hours in the evening while consuming only protein and some fats. This obviously leads to very low blood sugar (which is why it's very dangerous) and by next morning they're already in ketosis.

As I mentioned, don't try this on your own. Using insulin is already dangerous as it is, but it's even more so when you're not ingesting carbs! It could lead to hypoglycemia, diabetic coma, or even death!

A safer (and legal) way to accomplish the same thing is to use Leucine for the same purpose as insulin. Leucine is a ketogenic amino acid. It leads to a large (but within your own natural limits) insulin spike. If you don't consume any carbs 1 hour prior and up to 2 hours after ingesting leucine, your blood glucose will lower significantly, helping you reach ketosis faster.

You can do this on your carb-up day, which would look like this:

Morning (1-2 meals): carbs from fruit to fill liver glycogen first
Between 11 am and 2 pm (2 meals): carbs from starchy sources (rice, yams, potatoes, etc.)
Mid-afternoon meal (around 3-4 pm): last carb meal of the day... high glycemic carbs

And from 4 pm you only have protein and fat along with ingesting 5-10g of leucine every 2 hours (5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm, 11 pm for example). The key is no carbs after 3-4 pm.

This will help you get into ketosis much faster and it will be both easier and more effective to diet down while in a low carb state.
This was taken from an article from T-nation.

What you reckon?
Jas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
slyfox115

slyfox115 is on a distinguished road
I've heard Justin Harris talk about how Leucine responsible for the triggering of protein synthesis but never this before. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts as well.

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Ghandi

True Protein Discount Code - 5% off: TRF272
slyfox115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas0n View Post
G'day there.

Since I know that you're an advocate of the Keto diet IA, I wanted to share this interesting piece of advice in regards to speeding up ketosis.

I'd like to get your feedback here guys, as well as IA, in regards to the validity of this advice:

This was taken from an article from T-nation.

What you reckon?
I have known people that have tried it, and many years ago I did also. Does it work? Yes, is it needed, no. Do you need to be in ketosis to be burning fat as suggested here=NO!. Does it actually take 2-3 days to get back into ketosis after a carb up=it depends on how many carbs were consumed, for how long, and more importantly the individual. After a one day carb up LOTS of people will be in ketosis by the end of the following day anyway. This is NOT something I would recommend. And.......the day that you are doing slin you won't be burning fat anway, so you just lost a day to gain one=bad math.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier is on a distinguished road
I know this is an older thread. One thing that popped into my mind about the T-Nation article is: this could have exactly the opposite effect on someone who is insulin resistant. The last thing people like me need is more unusable insulin flooding into their systems.
Dogsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
It's just a bad idea all around.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketosis, speeding