Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Iron Addict's > Iron Addict's and Verified Members Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
britlifter
Banned

britlifter is on a distinguished road
Serge Nubret, his training and his opinions

The great Serge Nubret has a huge thread on bb.com and he has many fans on there. The guy is extremly sincere and genuine and a real nice guy to be sharing his experiance and knowledge with us. However I am really interested in what IA, SB or any other experiance lifter here makes of his workout routine and also his opinion towards it.

His routine can be found here complete with pdf files

http://www.performlabs.com/index.php...ownload/tm0005

To summarize: Each bodypart 2x per week, very high volume, sets of 12 reps with little rest between sets.

Now, clearly this has worked for Serge no doubt there at all, and many guys over at bb.com are following his routine and becoming fans and reporting good gains.

However this is where I dissagree, its MY understanding and from reading the boards here that we are all different and that what works for one may not work for another. NO routine is perfect and there is no one size fits all.

It would seem Serge would dissagree. I asked these questions on Serges thread and Serge very kindly answered (he does devote alot of time for his fans)

Q: I'd like to ask. Your training style of high volume, lots of sets at 12 reps with little rest between sets, of what percentage of lifters do you feel this type of training works for?

A: If it works for me it can work for every body, as I was every body once in my life and i have been training like that all my life. JUST TRY IT

Q: Ok, regarding your reply, isnt that like saying that there IS one training method that suits ALL? Does that not go againts the fact that we are all different and what works for one may not work for another?

A: We are all made of muscles and blood which is the base for a body builder. Phisic, Chemical are universel, not one for this kind of this part of the world and another one for the rest of the world. So it's the same than body building, of course you have to take care of what you are eating, which kind of MIND you have and if you LOVE really body building, if you do you will find your way with any kind of training program. BUT I KNOW THAT MINE WORKS FOR EVERY BODY IF THE 3 POWERS I SAID PREVIOUSLY ARE IN YOU.

You understand how it can get extremely confusing for the average Joe! You have great trainers like IA with a huge variety of routines geared towards various lifters ,and Serge, a hugely gifted bodybuilder/trainer that seems to promote one type of split for all.

Thoughts?

Last edited by britlifter; 02-15-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Doc D
IA Verified

Doc D is on a distinguished road
I would say that Nubret is a perfect example of what sensible training can make out of poor genetics.

As your username suggests that you are a compatriot of mine, I hope that the tone of this comment will be clear!

[Just to clarify: this is irony (directed not at Britlifter, but Nubret, of course) - quintessentially British sarcasm! The man is a genetic freak whose methods will, I suspect, work for approximately 5 people on the planet, including him and Thierry Pastel. Such training strikes me as 'Flex/M&F nonsense' taken to a whole new level, and will definitely *NOT* work optimally for the vast majority of people (and I say this despite being open to many approaches)!]

Last edited by Doc D; 02-15-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
farmer

farmer is an unknown quantity at this point
No it will not work for everybody. I think Doc's estimate of 5 is a little high actually. This is a perfect example of how easy it is for someone with crazy genetics to grow. And since it comes so easy for them, they have no understanding of how the other 99.999% struggle for every ounce of muscle growth.

And of course the members over at bb.com are reporting good gains. They report good gains for everything they try. If you add up all the muscle they've built over the last year, most of the members are in excess of 275 lbs, lean!!! Now there's some sarcasm for you
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
jesus rocks
Banned

Location: Adel has webbed turtle toes...pretty gross if you ask me.
jesus rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
as I was every body once in my life and i have been training like that all my life
\

Quote:
Phisic, Chemical are universel, not one for this kind of this part of the world and another one for the rest of the world. So it's the same than body building, of course you have to take care of what you are eating, which kind of MIND you have and if you LOVE really body building, if you do you will find your way with any kind of training program
Quote:
IF THE 3 POWERS I SAID PREVIOUSLY ARE IN YOU.
Him no very grammerically good.
BODYBUILDING.COM BAD.!!!! VERY BAD...YOU BRITLIFTER....NO MORE GO BB.COM....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Halfway
physique verified and moderator

Halfway is an unknown quantity at this point
"many guys over at bb.com are following his routine and becoming fans and reporting good gains."

I hear that some may actually be breaking the 175lb barrier

It's not that dissimilar from the 10x10 talked about here - the difference is there's no caveat that you need to be big and strong already to make the most of that type of training.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
dbcb314
Strength Verified

dbcb314 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to dbcb314
JR english isn't his first language

It is just a high volume routine that most beginners and intermediates should stay far far away from. i woudl say some advanced people will do well on it for short bursts (like how some people go a set number of weeks with high volume, set number of weeks with low, ect).

and don't trust those people over there with what they call "gains" it could be they just changed a setting on the digi cam so now their avatar pic looks better lol.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Tominator
IA Verified

Tominator is on a distinguished road
Serge's training is similar to many of the greats of his era: high volume, short to medium rest bodybuilding style routines. Different people have different capacities for volume training (no surprise, elite bodybuilders often have phenomenal capacities). To a certain extent, you can improve your capacity by performing volume training. The best thing he said was "try it". The only way you'll figure out what routines are best for you is trial and error. Even smart and experienced guys like IA can't look at you and say what will or won't work without some experimentation.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
emazur24

emazur24 is on a distinguished road
what about the power of the force?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Diesel46

Diesel46 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Diesel46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc D
I would say that Nubret is a perfect example of what sensible training can make out of poor genetics.

As your username suggests that you are a compatriot of mine, I hope that the tone of this comment will be clear!

[Just to clarify: this is irony (directed not at Britlifter, but Nubret, of course) - quintessentially British sarcasm! The man is a genetic freak whose methods will, I suspect, work for approximately 5 people on the planet, including him and Thierry Pastel. Such training strikes me as 'Flex/M&F nonsense' taken to a whole new level, and will definitely *NOT* work optimally for the vast majority of people (and I say this despite being open to many approaches)!]
lol. Nice one Doc
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
T unit

T unit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emazur24
what about the power of the force?
haha the whole mind thing is a load of shit
Closed Thread

Tags
nubret, opinions, serge, training