Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Diet/Nutrition > Fat-Loss and Body Recomposition

Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
Tatyana

Tatyana is on a distinguished road
Dave Palumbo Keto Diet

This is one of the quickest growing keto diets on the BBing forums.

A lot of people SWEAR by Dave Palumbo's comp prep, and many think that keto diets are the only way to go for comp prep.

I was just wondering what you lads thought of it

Palumbo Diet:

Supps:
ESSENTIAL POLYUNSATURATES:
-Omega-3 Fish Oil pills 1000mg 3x per day
-Evening Primrose Oil (Omega-6) 1300mg 2x per day
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil is still better for your heart! These are HEART HEALTHY MONOUNSATURATED FATS (along with MACADAMIA NUT OIL). MONO's are NOT essential fats; however, they ARE very heart healthy.

NON ESSENTIAL but HEART HEALTHY
Macadamia Nut oil (Omega-9 monosaturates) 2-3 ablespoons per day
I'm a believer in a good whole food supplement. I've mentioned it before:

Juice Plus+ gives you 12 servings of fruits and veggies in 4 pills (no sugar, no fiber). http://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/H...a?site=dp02724

Good legal Test/anti-aromatase:
6-oxo or Gaspari Novedex XT

Liver Support:
LIV-52 by Himalayan Labs for liver detoxification at its best!

Take all supps with food

Diet: (for 250lb man)
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter (PWO)
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs
(5 meals for Women)

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the day so you dont cheat again.

FOR WEIGHT GAIN:
Follow my same formula. . . High protein (50g per meal), Moderate Fat (25g per meal), and moderate carbs (35-50g per meal). If you're a hard gainer, eat 8-10 meals. If you're an easy gainer (but get fat easily), stick to 6 meals per day.

For the 1000th time, when following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic
I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman -Anais Nin
Tatyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
jesus rocks
Banned

Location: Adel has webbed turtle toes...pretty gross if you ask me.
jesus rocks is on a distinguished road
I think that I dont really want to trust the diet advice of somebody who lacks the wisdom to know that its a very poor idea to put out cookie cutter diets. Other than that I got nothin for ya
jesus rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Tatyana

Tatyana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus rocks
I think that I dont really want to trust the diet advice of somebody who lacks the wisdom to know that its a very poor idea to put out cookie cutter diets. Other than that I got nothin for ya
That has been a complaint of a couple of his trainees, yes.
I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman -Anais Nin
Tatyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
jesus rocks
Banned

I would be upset as well, if I pay for a diet and then you give it to the world for free Id be disgruntled.
Besides that, you just cant put out diets for the masses. How many 180lb guys are going to read that and not see the part where it says
Quote:
for men 250lbs
and eat exactly whats on there.

Also, he should really be careful with his terminology. Where it says moderate carbs, that could jack some people up trying to figure this out...ALOT
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
If keto works for you (you can be THAT disciplined) it works extremely well. MANY years ago I trained my lifters using keto. It was just not worth it as the average lifter just does not have the discipline to go 5-6 days without carbs. Result? Huge binges that were way worse than just doing a VLC diet with carb cutoffs. Also about 25% of the lifters had huge performance issues and their weights plummeted.

That (VLC) is the easiest way to get their while still being efficient with it.

If you can actually do it, its a good way to diet.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.

Last edited by iron addict; 02-07-2008 at 04:29 PM.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Dobermann
Strength Verified

Dobermann is on a distinguished road
Just out of intrest anyone tried the T-Dawg diet? I used it many many years ago when I was a kid and droped fat like I was on crack.It's basically 30-100g of CHO for 6 days a week and then one day of all out eat whatever the hell you want! I was not lifting properly though i.e I was using a 6 day a week flex type I made it up split lol So I cant comment on strength gains or loss using this approach.
An individual with an arm length under 24 inches long has a significant advantage over those with arms 27 inches or longer. An individual with 24-inch arms with a 300-pound maximum bench press completes 7200 inch-pounds of work. An individual with 27-inch arms only has to have a maximum bench press of 266 pounds to create 7200 inch-pounds of work.

R.I.P Wesley Silveira (Gone but never forgotten)
Dobermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
jesus rocks
Banned

^^speaking of being young and stupid. When I first started training I would run like 3 miles a day plus workout seven days a week. Within 3 months you could see almost everystriation except glutes and hams. BUT, I was also 170 and looked like a bobble head doll and was on such low calories I actually had to be hospitalized, hey, who says 1200 calories a day aint good for you.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
IronMan

IronMan is on a distinguished road
I still don't understand how people can lift "heavy" without more carbs. Maybe people aren't really lifting heavy, when they say they are.

B.S. In Applied Exercise
Science
ACSM CPT
Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehabilitation
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
jesus rocks
Banned

HEAVY is relative. Alot of people lift heavy right up until a show.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
I still don't understand how people can lift "heavy" without more carbs. Maybe people aren't really lifting heavy, when they say they are.
Once you are in ketosis you have abundant energy as you covert fat to ketones and ketones are used just (oversimplification but true) just like carbs.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dave, diet, keto, palumbo