Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Diet/Nutrition > Nutrition, Diet, Supplements, and Recipes

Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
skyline1731

skyline1731 is on a distinguished road
Intermittent Fasting Recomp Protocol

Information on Intermittent Fasting from Jamie Hale's book.

"...Intermittent fasting involves a period of fasting followed by a period of feeding. Studies on intermittent fasting and human subjects has shown positive effects on health indicators, including insulin sensitivity. These studies often involve long periods of food deprivation followed by a very large meal; one example being a 24 hour fast followed by eating the daily calorie allotment in one meal. By doing this, the test subjects lost more body fat, and actually gained lean mass, in comparison to a regular meal pattern. Keep in mind that these individuals were not even lifting weights in the first place; this suggests that the one-meal-a-day eating pattern had positive effects on body composition, possibly by impacting hormones or gene expression. However, I feel strongly that such extreme measures are not needed to in order to reap the benefits of intermittent fasting for those wishing to improve their body composition.

The Intermittent Fasting protocol for lean gains and fat loss, aims to take advantage of the powerful fat burning properties of the fast and the nutrient partitioning effects of short term overfeeding, in order to reduce bodyfat and increase lean body mass. Therefore I have devised a system, through trial and error, which involves a short fast in combination with weightlifting and overfeeding, in order to achieve lean muscular gains and fat loss. I have significantly improved my body composition with this seemingly “controversial” way of meal patterning, and several others has had the same success. Those that convert from a typical high meal frequency eating regime to the Intermittent fasting protocol seldom go back to their old habits of obsessively eating every second hour, yet never really feeling satisfied. I will briefly describe some guidelines I use in order to put this diet in a contextual framework.

The Intermittent Fasting protocol consists of two phases; the fasting period and the overfeeding period. The basic idea behind this protocol is to provide nutrients at a time where they will be used for recovery and repair, being the post workout window. In order to receive the benefits of nutrient partitioning, the protocol consists of a fasting period, lasting 16 hours. This means you initiate your first meal 16 hours before eating the last meal on the night before (which is easily done by skipping breakfast and lunch). Thus, ideally all eating is done within an 8 +-1 hour timeframe. Most do well with 3 meals, some may even prefer 2 or 4. To some this may seem daunting, as some will assume that hunger will be an issue, but this is anecdotally not the case; the fast has strong appetite suppressant properties, which is partly explained by increased catecholamine output during the fast. Contrary to popular belief, there is no proteolysis during this period. You do not need to worry that you will be “burning” muscle tissue during the fast.

The fasting aspect of the diet has several positive effects on lipolysis, partly mediated by catecholamines and growth hormone release during the fast. Besides acting as an appetite suppressant, the catecholamines provides a stimulant effect; you will most likely feel like you have more energy and focus than usual (in this state any other stimulants, like caffeine for example, also has a more potent effect in comparison to being consumed on a full stomach)..

After fasting for 16 hours, one breaks the fast with a meal whose macronutrient profile differs depending on if it´s a workout day or a rest day. On workout days, one breaks the fast with a moderate sized pre-workout meal, providing adequate carbohydrates and protein. After the workout, you will consume the largest meal of the day and proceed to eat once your calorie quota for the day is filled (this quota is your maintenance intake + a certain % depending on your goals). Carbohydrates are favourable to consume in this meal. You may split meals how you see fit, but you should keep the eating window to 8 hours, including the pre-workout meal. My day may look like this for example:

4 pm: pre-workout meal

5-6: workout

7-12 pm: post workout meal, and the rest of calorie requirements for this day. This is the overfeeding period of Intermittent Fating. After the last meal, the fast starts again in order to initiate the first meal at 4 pm the next day (these hours will be dependent on your own schedule, and times used here are merely for illustrative purposes). In order to have a steady supply of amino acids in your blood during the fast, I suggest the last meal consists of whole foods and slow digesting protein (meat or cottage cheese for example).

On rest days, the calorie intake will differ from your workout day. Depending on goals, one may tailor the calories to either fat loss, weight gain or improved body composition..."

Intermittent Fasting by Martin Berkhan

An example of how an IF recomp may be structured (random snippets from my IF guide, which is a work in progress):

Fasting period lasts 16 hrs. This means you initiate your first meal 16 hrs before eating the last meal on the night before (which is easily done by skipping breakfast and lunch). Thus, ideally all eating is done within an 8 +-1 hour timeframe. Most do well with 3 meals, but some may even prefer 2 or 4. In order to have a steady supply of amino acids in your blood during the fast, I suggest the last meal consists of whole foods and some slow digesting protein (cottage cheese for example).

non-WO days: only lean protein and veggies (max 100 g carbs). Stay in the 1200-1500 kcal range and include 60-90 min of low intensity cardio. Kcal intake on these days is set to approximately 50% maintenance for most males.

WO-days: have a moderate sized meal of 50-60/50-60 carb/pro (minimum fat) pre-WO (approx 450-550 kcal). PWO-meal is ideally a high carb, moderate protein and low fat refeed. Kcal target for this day should be around maintenance+25% with the absolute majority of kcals eaten PWO. General guidelines for this day is (at least) 1 g protein/bw and 2 g carbs/ bw, and then you may fill out with whatever macronutrient you want to a certain degree. Ideally, emphasis should be put on carbs while fat intake is kept low; these conditions are the most favourable in order to prevent fat storage and optimize glycogen storage.

For the recomp protocol to work effectively, you need to balance the surplus days with the deficit days. This means that an EOD workout routine is ideal for those wishing progressive lean gains accompanied by fat loss. 2-3x week WO routines delivers faster results for people with bodyfat loss as a main priority.

Why would I do Intermittent Fasting along with weightlifting?

I will briefly outline the benefits of IF in this post. All the claims made are scientifically proven through empirical studies on humans.

* Increased insulin sensitivity, possibly resulting in superior nutrient partitioning as compared to traditional meal patterns; especially when combined with weightlifting. There are also several other health benefits, including improved blood lipids (scientifically proven).

* Possible to reduce bodyfat and increase lean mass through a cyclic calorie intake.

* No more obsessive thinking about food and worrying about eating every second hour.

* Very liberal approach to calorie intake in the eating window (8 hrs) and post-workout window; you can eat to your hearts content and still lose bodyfat.

* Increased mental focus, energy and productivity during the fast.

* Increased metabolism during the fast. Ironically, most people think it´s the other way around.

* Appetite suppression during the fast. This is particularily beneficial if your main priority is to lose bodyfat.

That being said, IF is not a universal solution to gaining lean mass and losing bodyfat. Just like there are people that prefer high carbohydrate diets, and loathe low carb diets, some people will prefer a higher meal frequency and more regular meal patterning. However, those that like IF rarely go back to their old habits of meal patterning and meal frequencies.

Simplification of the IF protocol as I see it, 48 hrs (standard EOD WO routine):

Day 1:

hours 00-16 (fasting, fat burning phase)

hours 16-24 (pre-wo meal breaks the fast. A heavy workout sends a growth stimulus. Overfeeding occurs. If macros are controlled, short term fat gain is avoided while providing adequate nutrition for growth to occur post-workout and during sleep).

hours 24-40 (fasting, PW meal still digesting)

hours 40-48 (eating window, high protein intake, deficit during this day sets the stage for lipolysis during hours 48-66, and so it goes on)

Basically, nutrients are provided in adequate amounts during the phase when the body is most likely to use them for selective anabolism of muscle tissue. A controlled refeed, where fat intake is kept low (thus preventing de novo lpiogenesis), prevents de novo lipogenesis and may allow fat burning to resume shortly.

Source: http://leangains.blogspot.com/

www.trueprotein.com
BNC606 for 5% discount.

i ♥ IA!
skyline1731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
skyline1731

Any thoughts on this? I've been doing TCD for a while and decided to try IF... My plan is...

Training Day - 35p/50c/15f @ 115% maintenance calorie
10am – Wake up and fast till 2pm.
2pm – Pre-WO meal
3pm - Workout
4-10pm – Feeding hour
12am – Sleep

Non-training Day - 60p/10c/30f @ 60% maintenance calorie
10am – Wake up + low intensity cardio on empty stomach and fast till 2pm.
2-10pm – Feeding hour
12am – Sleep

www.trueprotein.com
BNC606 for 5% discount.

i ♥ IA!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
dbcb314
Strength Verified

dbcb314 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to dbcb314
dude... I was just about to make a post on fasting... dead serious.

except... I wouldn't have anything to back up anything lol. So...

your thread > my potential thread

only reason I was going ot bring it up is because people who keep fish and want them to grow faster will occasionally fast them (much longer time scale though) and the will have growth spurts.

so it just got me thinking if people ever tried it...

Best Gym Lifts: 555 (wraps)/370/570 (straps)@230+

Meet PRs: 420(sleeves)/315/525= 1260 @181
dbcb314 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
skyline1731

It seems like majority of people who tried Intermittent Fasting had pretty good results from it. I'm gonna be trying it for 6-8 weeks. Just took some 'before' pics... we will see how it goes.

www.trueprotein.com
BNC606 for 5% discount.

i ♥ IA!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
sparT

sparT is on a distinguished road
This information was in the insulin thread I made. Its called anabolic burst diet. 2 weeks of under eating, followed by 2 weeks of over eating. Similar but not exactly the same.

Check it out.

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/n...htgain/abc.asp

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/n...tgain/ABC2.asp
sparT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
_W8_
Banned

_W8_ is on a distinguished road
lol, despite the popular dogmatic thinking, this is called "normal eating". It seems 90% of people have to be forced to eat breakfast(suprisingly, its the breakfast food companies that keep pushing the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" crap )

The simple fact is, when you eat food you engage the parasympathetic nervous system, which in turn shuts off the sympathetic nervous system. The PS system is the "rest and digest" system, while the S system is the "fight or flight". The S system is the one that innervates adipose tissue and stimulates catecholamine release.

That's why I never understood how the body is supposed to burn fat when you're shoving food down your throat every 2 hours....

I've been dicussing this in my journal at BB.com for the last month or so. I initially started researching it after reading about the warrior diet. I wanted to know why I was always able to have ripped abs 3-4 years ago, even though I drank and ate like shit all the time. I would skip breakfast, then eat lunch and dinner.

Ever since I started doing shit "the right way" (i.e eating every 3 hours) I've been fighting off being a fat-ass.

I finally stopped fighting it and went back to eating the way my body naturally wants too. Skipping breakfast and eating just lunch and dinner. I've been leaning out even though I'm eating whatever I want and not counting calories or macros
_W8_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
_W8_
Banned

_W8_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline1731
It seems like majority of people who tried Intermittent Fasting had pretty good results from it. I'm gonna be trying it for 6-8 weeks. Just took some 'before' pics... we will see how it goes.
Another thing that amazed me was taking a trip to Italy last november. Nobody ate breakfast there, just a cup of coffee. Then a moderate lunch and a huge dinner. These people were eating bowls of pasta at 11PM yet there wasn't a single fat person around(shove that up your carb-cutoff ass Dante). And yes, the McDonalds over there was PACKED!

By fasting in the morning and overeating at night you allow your nervous sytem to do its job properly.
_W8_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
skyline1731

thx for the input W8. I also believe that fasting can be very helpful for body recomposition if utilized properly.

www.trueprotein.com
BNC606 for 5% discount.

i ♥ IA!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #9
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by _W8_
Another thing that amazed me was taking a trip to Italy last november. Nobody ate breakfast there, just a cup of coffee. Then a moderate lunch and a huge dinner. These people were eating bowls of pasta at 11PM yet there wasn't a single fat person around(shove that up your carb-cutoff ass Dante). And yes, the McDonalds over there was PACKED!

By fasting in the morning and overeating at night you allow your nervous sytem to do its job properly.
Great, now we have a guy with 16 inch arms telling the rest of the world how to get huge and ripped. Dante forgot more about BB'ing than you will ever know and one single swipe at him again and your ass will be back at BB.com telling all the 13 inch arm guys how to get huge.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
discuslifter
Jacked and Tan

discuslifter is on a distinguished road
I know this has been mentioned before, but can you use BCAAs during the fasting portion?
discuslifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fasting, intermittent, protocol, recomp