Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Iron Addict's > IA Verified Members' Training Techniques

Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #111
yarmish

yarmish is on a distinguished road
Thanks mike, that's what I'll do strength is my number 1 goal but being in better condition will only help in the long run. I bet I can't even run a steady mile right now
Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #112
miked96

miked96 is on a distinguished road
Chris just start like I did. I started with a half mile and slowly built up. Treat it like lifting. Start lighter and progressively add distance.
miked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #113
yarmish

yarmish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Chris just start like I did. I started with a half mile and slowly built up. Treat it like lifting. Start lighter and progressively add distance.
Will do..Rome was'nt built in a day,and my squat and pull wouldnt like me jumping in to running quick
Old 04-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #114
musclemilk

musclemilk is on a distinguished road
Wow I didn't know 80s powerlifters ran.
Great info.

Ime - I have been able to get away with any type of cardio as long as it's not long( wrestling, 100meter sprint's, 1mile run, sled drag)

Wesley wrote that even running can be pulled off as long as it's short.

I attribute my sucess to also the timing of the cardio which you stated well( Pwo or day after legs or day after deads)

I guess I am getting older and smarter? Lol!

good info mike
musclemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #115
miked96

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclemilk View Post
Wow I didn't know 80s powerlifters ran.
Great info.

Ime - I have been able to get away with any type of cardio as long as it's not long( wrestling, 100meter sprint's, 1mile run, sled drag)

Wesley wrote that even running can be pulled off as long as it's short.

I attribute my sucess to also the timing of the cardio which you stated well( Pwo or day after legs or day after deads)

I guess I am getting older and smarter? Lol!

good info mike

Thanks. You bring up some good points. With some simple planning you can have the best of both worlds in your training. It doesnt have to be all BW circuits, yoga, and tofu or just squats, deadlifts and heavy breathing to tie your shoes.

Just to be clear. I am not saying they all ran but I have talked to some very strong guys that ran for their jobs or just because they thought it was good for them. I am also not saying everybody needs to do conditioning or run or whatever. Just presenting a way to go about it if you really want to hit both.

Ultimately, what "in shape" is needs to be personally defined and worked towards. The same as you would work for a 315 bench. You wouldnt just go in the gym and screw around and expect to really get anywhere. Same with conditioning.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #116
musclemilk

musclemilk is on a distinguished road
Trust me I was bigger at 1point but in doing So had to drop all cardio and couldn't tie my shoes without getting winded.

Now I am doing cardio and not looking to be that big again.
musclemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #117
miked96

This is for everybody that is doing a 100 different exercises per session or worried to death about not progressing on kickbacks or whatever. Its not needed and alot of times it can be counterproductive. The major compound exercises are the most result producing exercises you can do and you need to put 100 percent of your effort into them. Dont hold back on squats so you can hit a certain weight on leg press or finish the 12 other exercises you have planned. If you are wasted after squats,benches,etc. to a point you cant do anymore then dont feel bad about leaving the gym. You will progress faster for it.

Also, dont worry about not hitting every angle of your muscles so you will grow proportionally. Heres a personal email I got from JM Blakely when I asked what else he did other than pause bench on sunday and two tricep exercises on wednesday. (Google him if you dont know who he is, I attached an old pic)

"The truth is, I didn’t do much other than bench on Sunday and triceps on wed. at the Westside. I would catch an occasional back workout consisting of wide and very narrow pulldowns, as well as some biceps from time to time. Other bodyparts were catch-as-catch-can and although I probably did average hitting every bodypart every two weeks, I never did any CONSISTENT TRAINING on them …but rather a brief but intense workout as time and my body would allow. But whats funny is they grew anyway! I really think people can overtrain, and by that I mean they do too much working out and not enough WORKING!! I would hit it hard but might miss ten or twelve days between getting back to that bodypart and still remained balanced in my physique. That’s another lesson for quality over quantity! I think recovery is the untapped secret of training. If the intensity is high enough, its really the recovery phase of training that is the magic. But only if the loads and efforts are above a certain (very high ) level. Hope this helps, jm"

Take a look at your training and cut away the redundant stuff and simplify. Do less better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg view;_ylt=A0PDoKrk0qNQwgkAOReJzbkF.jpeg (14.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #118
HIThopper
moderator from down under

HIThopper is on a distinguished road
I would like to add if you dont know who JM Blakely is you might need to consider another Hobby!!!

Knitting or square dancing comes to mind.

Nice post Mr D
OK cubbies listen up. there is no magic potion, there is no magic foodstuffs, thereof are no magic lifts, there is no magic equipments, there is only hard work, dedication and a LOVE FOR TRAINING, period. - EXMGQ

My Youtube http://au.youtube.com/user/cjmack23ok
HIThopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #119
strength and power
Super Strength Verified Moderator

strength and power is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIThopper View Post
I would like to add if you dont know who JM Blakely is you might need to consider another Hobby!!!

Knitting or square dancing comes to mind.

Nice post Mr D
Or if you want to gain weight, read his spin on how to do it

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #120
Angra Mainyu

Angra Mainyu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angra Mainyu
I was reading this and just wanted to say. I just picked up some chirstmas ham?, im gonna bake a pizza and then add layers of ham and pineapple then top it off with more cheese and eat it like an actual pie
…we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe
Angra Mainyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep, miked96, things, thoughts, wrote