Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Iron Addict's > Iron Addict's and Verified Members Q & A

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
therealdeal21

therealdeal21 is on a distinguished road
Bench Pressing in Power Rack?

Today was the first time I tried to really bench press my work sets in my power rack after buying a bench for it. I was very dissapointed. I couldn't set the safety bars at a place that was sufficient (as in set them at an accurate level but not on a level that is too high to the point where I can't bring the barbell down to my chest, or a point too low so if I fail it would just land on my chest and crush me). I couldn't get that level, so I ended up putting weights up my bench press to bring it up a bit higher. Still when I went down with the bar it hit the safety bars, and it wasn't really the best bench. Anyone not like using the power rack to bench and experience this same thing?

im thinking to just screw it and wait for someone to spot me or just be really careful with my regular bench..
therealdeal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
JohnCaesar

JohnCaesar is on a distinguished road
I almost always bench inside of my power rack, although I am incredibly lucky the safety pins are approximately 1/2 inch below my chest. This also lets me know if I lost the tightness in my arch because it will hit the pins at the bottom. Another benefit is the ability to perform dead stop benches from the bottom.

Which type of rack & bench do you have? Can you throw up a picture or vid? One thing you may want to look into is getting some pieces of 2x6 to raise the height of your bench (weights may not be as stable).
The blood-longing became stronger than ever before. He was a killer, a thing that preyed, living on the things that lived, unaided, alone, by virtue of his own strength and prowess, surviving triumphantly in a hostile environment where only the strong survived.
JohnCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Paul D

Paul D is on a distinguished road
I set the safties fairly low so that I can touch the bar to my chest and if I fail I have to role it towards my neck (counter-intuitive, lol) to get it onto the safties. Works well for me. I don't have a rack, my bench came with a safety option that attached to it and luckily the spacing is about 1". It was a great investment and pretty cheap ($100 extra, on top of the bench).
Paul D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
dbcb314
Strength Verified

dbcb314 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to dbcb314
Gotta have a good rack (with holes really close to each other) or be lucky.

The rack at the gym has spaces that are exactly a 3 board a part. If I am 100% perfect with my form (completely parallel bar, very lightly touch chest) it works, other wise I am hitting the pins.

Best Gym Lifts: 555 (wraps)/370/570 (straps)@230+

Meet PRs: 420(sleeves)/315/525= 1260 @181
dbcb314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
randy leahy

randy leahy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I set the safties fairly low so that I can touch the bar to my chest and if I fail I have to role it towards my neck (counter-intuitive, lol) to get it onto the safties. Works well for me. I don't have a rack, my bench came with a safety option that attached to it and luckily the spacing is about 1". It was a great investment and pretty cheap ($100 extra, on top of the bench).
Exactly what I do in the rack, usually the spacing works out to do this.
randy leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
F-Mac

F-Mac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to F-Mac Send a message via Skype™ to F-Mac
Do you bench with much of an arch?

My rack at home has what I would call "normal" spacing. With where I set the safety pins, whe i i bring the bar down to my chest, i still have 2-3" to the pins, but if I flatten out i can put the bar on the pins and slide out from under it.

That said, i'd say you have the right idea. Since this is your home setup, i would just get a piece or 2 of plywood to jam under the bench to get it to a height that works for you.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
therealdeal21

Thanks guy. I just tried putting some weights underneath a little higher and think I found a good level. I was so fuckin frustrated the other day tho, I felt like I wasted my workout- well atleast my biggest lift in my workout -benching. I managed to bench but I didn't exactyly touch my chest and the bar did hit the safety bars a few times, would you guys say that was a complete waste? I mean I did everything I could do and i'd think I found a good level and then nope, bars too high or too low.. and didnt really find the optimal level till after my workout was over the next day
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
F-Mac

F-Mac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to F-Mac Send a message via Skype™ to F-Mac
If you did something, it's not a waste.

You have it figured out now, don't worry about one messed up workout.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Elusive

Elusive is on a distinguished road
No such thing as a wasted workout. Remember man, it is a privilege to train. One of my best friend's fiancee is handicapped from a diving accident in high school. Prior to that, she was a state champion level swimmer. Always remember to be thankful you are healthy and able to train!
Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
therealdeal21

thanks again guys

Tags
bench, power, pressing, rack