Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Diet/Nutrition > Nutrition, Diet, Supplements, and Recipes

Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
ssavan01

ssavan01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ssavan01
Can peanut butter and jelly be a good muscle building meal?

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches have been a part of my diet for a while. As long as I can have one I really dont get many sweet cravings. Now my PB and J is probably completely different than what most have. Heres how I make mine:

2 pieces whole grain Ezekial bread toasted
2 Tablespoons Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter
1 Tablespoon Low sugar strawberry jam

It breaks down to:

Calories: 395

Carbs: 42

Fat: 17

Protein: 16

I typically have that with 1.5 cups of 1% milk in the evenings. My question is, should I avoid meals like this while in a mass gaining phase? I really am trying to eat as clean as possible and for the most part my meals are meat and salad. Should I stay away from eating these? Thanks
ssavan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Angra Mainyu

Angra Mainyu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Angra Mainyu
clean, evenings, bread, and milk are usually never seen in the same sentence. Are you struggling to gain weight?
…we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe
Angra Mainyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg is on a distinguished road
My first 1.5 years of lifting I was eating 6 peanut butter and honey sandwiches a day, a gallon of whole milk each day, protein shakes and I cant remember what all else. My metabolism was raging then and I did grow well off that diet and didn't gain any noticeable fat. Took me from 145lb to 183lb in 8 months. For someone with a slow metabolism probably not the best idea. All that peanut butter and milk made for some real tear jerkers on the toilet, felt like you were passing a brick!

Now though I haven't ate a peanut butter sandwich in probably almost 5 years.
Nate Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
ssavan01

I wouldnt say Im struggling to gain weight. I more or less use peanut & jelly sandwiches as my daily dose of indulgence. I justify eating them because 1) I hit my overall macros fine with them 2) I use ezekial bread, natural PB, and low sugar jam. All of those ingredients are usually considered quite common in a mass gaining diet, but together it seems like its destined to put on fat.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
The protein in PB is NOT a complete protein.......

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
ironshaolin

ironshaolin is on a distinguished road
you say you're in a mass gaining phase? If you're really trying to gain mass, I would just eat food and not worry about it. A peanut butter and jelly with milk is a much better option than not eating. Anyone else agree?
ironshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
iron addict
Voice of Reason

iron addict has disabled reputation
Well.....kind of. having complete proteins would be better. Eating a cube of butter would be better than not eating anything at all also, but not very optimal. If he is a young kid that needs calories more than anything PB and jelly can be fine if he is super skinny with a raging fast metabolism. If that is not the case there are better choices.

IA

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us, universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein
__________________________________________________ _____

If you are NOT a paying client, a friend, or a staff member, do NOT PM or email me asking for advice. Please post your questions on the forums. I simply do not have time to answer everyone's questions.
iron addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
ssavan01

Thanks for the advice. I'll start cutting down. I typical have one per day. Usually I add a protein shake or some milk with it to get the protein requirements up but its more or less my daily fat intake that is never quite where it needs to be. Always about 10-20g to high...which would account for about one PB & J..lol

Tags
building, butter, good, jelly, meal, muscle, peanut