Iron Addicts Forums  

Go Back   Iron Addicts Forums > Iron Addict's > Iron Addict's and Verified Members Q & A

Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
gtorn

gtorn is on a distinguished road
Don't train obliques for small waist?

Some of the oldschool bodybuilders like Steve Reeves argued that anyone who wants the classical narrow waist-wide shoulders V-shape look should avoid training his obliques.

Without getting into arguments over the aesthetics of a 29" in. waist on a 210lb 6'1" guy, I'd just like to know, is it, in fact, true that training obliques takes away from a narrow waist?

-G
gtorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
Gonzomedic

Gonzomedic is on a distinguished road
It all depends on the persons height. If your built like a fire hydrant and want to compete in BB, I would imagine the thinner the waist would show off better.At 6'2" and concentrating more on power then asthetics I need all the help I can get out of my abs.

"Just dummy up, and lift the FUCKING WEIGHT!"-JP
Carpe' diem
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." ~ John Wayne

Rest in peace Wes
Gonzomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
tiramisu

tiramisu is on a distinguished road
This falls under the heading of don't do deadlifts, squats or overhead lifting because they will make you thick.

If you maintain a symmetrical physique then your obliques are simply are part of it.
I've met people who subscribe to the small obliques club. In each case this has also come with no back or legs as part of the package.
tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Jericho

Jericho is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jericho
Having an actual small waist is overrated imho. LOOKING like you have a small waist is all I care about. Just improve your shoulders and lats. Here's an example I like to remember...Layne Norton has claimed a 35" waist when he is near competition form (which is better than 100% of normal people), and XX has claimed that even at his most shredded he only gets down to 34". I can pretty much guarantee you they look better than 99.9% of the population

Obliques, abs, deads, etc.. all might add muscle to your midsection which would technically thicken your waist but then I'll ask:

"Why limit the development of 10 muscles (chest, back, legs, etc...) because of 1 (midsection)?"

"Remember there isnt a magical rep range per se....its what you feel comfortable in doing by and large.....its gaining 50-200lbs in that same rep range progressively over months and months of time thats going to do the magic" - Dante

250/335/415 = 1000

Last edited by Jericho; 03-05-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
slyfox115

slyfox115 is on a distinguished road
Its really a trade off. Exercises like heavy squats and deads will possibly increase your waist size simply because it will add new muscle to the core and posterior chain, but without those exercises, its less likely you will reach the potential you have for muscle. There are always genetic freaks who are exceptions to the rule, but for the majority this is true.

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Ghandi

True Protein Discount Code - 5% off: TRF272
slyfox115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
bruno
Strength Verified

bruno is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty this guy is just talking about doing direct oblique, like side crunchs and side bends and stuff. If he is in fact talking about deadlifts and squats and stuff, then that's a different story, but I took what he asked at face value.

If I am right, then to the orginal question, I think it's fine to skip direct oblique work like side bands or suitcase deadlifts. I think those exercises are fine to do, or fine not to do. I do think direct ab work of some sort is important, and I do it a lot, but direct oblique work is not as important IMO.
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
ThatArmyKid
Strength Verified

ThatArmyKid is on a distinguished road
core work=good
big waste from core work= stable
small waist=can be stable and or chick magnet!
ThatArmyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
gtorn

gtorn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
I'm pretty this guy is just talking about doing direct oblique, like side crunchs and side bends and stuff. If he is in fact talking about deadlifts and squats and stuff, then that's a different story, but I took what he asked at face value.

If I am right, then to the orginal question, I think it's fine to skip direct oblique work like side bands or suitcase deadlifts. I think those exercises are fine to do, or fine not to do. I do think direct ab work of some sort is important, and I do it a lot, but direct oblique work is not as important IMO.
Thanks. You were right on target. Reeves did heavy squats, shoulder presses, etc. but avoided direct work to his traps and obliques. I've just taken this to mean I should avoid shrugs, oblique work and heavy, low-rep ab work. Don't worry, guys, I'd never give up deads
gtorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
JimSG73
Strength Verified / Senior Member

JimSG73 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JimSG73
I'd take a thick muscular waist over a narrow one anyday of the week. Of course I am a bit biased on this because I'm built like a tree trunk anyway. The smallest my waist has ever been was 36" when I was sitting at around 10%BF or so. I usually sit around a 38" waist, but I also do direct heavy ab/oblique work too, along with deads, squats etc.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Linkie

Linkie is on a distinguished road
Damn it, am I the only one with a 27 inch waist?
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obliques, small, train, waist