PDA

View Full Version : for once, no question on depth!

idk
08-27-2006, 12:32 AM
heres a clip from the 1193 olympic training video, which im sure everyone has seen by now. to quote the commentator, "he's not wearing a belt, his knees aren't wrapped and hes wearing a pair of bike shorts. You think he goes deep enough?!?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpA47OUohpM

p-funk
08-27-2006, 01:47 PM
yea, i have that whole DVD. It is at the training hall right before the world Championships in Australia.

In that video Ivan Chakarov also squats 270kg (594lbs) for a deep triple. He only ways 200lbs.

idk
08-27-2006, 02:39 PM
you have that video? where can i get it at?

Marz
08-27-2006, 02:44 PM
ironmind.com

p-funk
08-27-2006, 03:22 PM
yea, that video is called Heavy Metal in Melbourne.....it is from the Ironmind collection. it is probably my favorite because it has so many great ones....Dimas, Kaki, Naim, Weller, Nurlenger, Chakarov...lots of great lifting. it is amazing to see how heavy they go when they are just 2 or 3 days out from the meet. Chakarov is most impressive because he is 3 days out in the video and they have him lifting on back to back days. He does some heavy stuff!

The Bulgarian video is awesome too. It features Vanev primarily and his training is sweet! Plus, it is crazy to see their volume...2-3 sessions a day!

idk
08-27-2006, 10:39 PM
what kinda shoes are those guys wearing? adidas? i kinda wanna get a pair, just to see what all the big deal is.

CaptainKimura
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I've recently reformatted my squatting style to be more olympic, like in that video, as deep as possible with a mid-width stance. It's been humbling.

idk
08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
i guess i never really had to go through that. back in my beach-building days, i didnt do legs much to begin with. when i finally took the olympic and power lifting class, i took squatting seriously, so i've basically been doing that since day 1. i actually came across that video when someone was making fun of somebody's squat form, asking jokingly if the guy was squatting or just doing GMs(he was bending over a lot and barely bending the knees). i agree that it is humbling though, its discouraging sometimes because it can be hard to progress on, and its that much more depressing to "bottom out" on those than on a normal parallel squat. the weight transfer definitely feels better than on a parallel squat. once you learn to sit all the way down, the weight isn't on the knees at all.

CaptainKimura
08-27-2006, 11:40 PM
You are right about the weight transfer thing, it feels so much more natural to me, I don't know how to put it really but, when you do it right you know it, it flows perfectly and when you fuck it up you fuck it up proper, like you said.

idk
08-28-2006, 04:54 AM
yup, the groove is a lot longer on those than with a normal squat. i went down too fast and fell out of it, had to dump the bar over my head. luckily, it was rubber bumpers, so no harm was done.

so is this DVD worth getting? im really into olympic lifts, is it interesting enough where i could probably watch the whole video through without feeling the need to fast forward. is it just training, or is there lifestyle and diet stuff too?

p-funk
08-30-2006, 01:41 AM
I think it is worth getting. It is nothing but lifting. Nothing on lifestyle, nothing on diet. Just about an hour and a half worth of some of the best lifters ever in the game, throwing around heavy weight a few days out from the biggest contest of the year (the world championship). It is pretty amazing shit if you ask me. I have a number of videos from ironmind and I have watched them many times over. I can sit there for hours and watch this stuff. Plus the DVD is graet because you can slow it down and really see how the guys hit their positions (1st pull, scoop, second pull, etc) and see the triple extension and stuff like that.

idk
08-30-2006, 03:12 AM
hmm...sounds good. i think ill pick that up one of these days.