PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my ATG squat, PowerClean and Bench form

ShortOne
06-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi guys,
I'm 6months into my training experience, and I've always worked out at home, so I don't have anyone to reference provide input.

As a result, I have to rely on other lifters on forums like these..
Here are my vids to a couple of my lifts (http://www.putfile.com/shortone)

In particular, my lifts:
- Squat PR 87.5kgs (192.5lbs) (http://media.putfile.com/Squat-PR-20060610-875kgs)
- Power Clean PR 59.5kgs(130.9lbs) (http://media.putfile.com/Power-Clean-PR-20060610-595kgs)
- Bench (not a PR. still ramping up) (http://media.putfile.com/bench-060610_44-5kgs)

louza
06-11-2006, 03:05 AM
I am by no means an expert but...make sure to sit back first with your squats. You're bending at the knees first which would most likely place undue stress on them. If you sit back first (think about going to take a dump) keeping your shins more vertical, less stress will be placed on your knees and more on your glutes/hips/hams - espcecially at the bottom of the lift.

If you're unsure about sitting back, you could try some box squats onto a low box keeping the "im squatting onto the toilet" form in mind.

matt.

RobF
06-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Jesus they took a long time to download...I would widen the grip on your bench for sure and make it more of a compound lift rather than trying to isolate the chest too much with the flared elbows. Your probably hitting the triceps more than anything else with than narrow flared elbow grip anyway. Also, I hope that was your 1st set as it looked WAY too easy!

ShortOne
06-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I am by no means an expert but...make sure to sit back first with your squats. You're bending at the knees first which would most likely place undue stress on them. If you sit back first (think about going to take a dump) keeping your shins more vertical, less stress will be placed on your knees and more on your glutes/hips/hams - espcecially at the bottom of the lift.

If you're unsure about sitting back, you could try some box squats onto a low box keeping the "im squatting onto the toilet" form in mind.

matt.
I've never tried box squats before, so I'll have to give it a shot.
Not sure if I'll be able to get my legs more vertical without falling over.

*laughing*. Squats will never be the same if I'm thinking about taking a dump.

Thank you for your input.

ShortOne
06-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Jesus they took a long time to download...I would widen the grip on your bench for sure and make it more of a compound lift rather than trying to isolate the chest too much with the flared elbows. Your probably hitting the triceps more than anything else with than narrow flared elbow grip anyway. Also, I hope that was your 1st set as it looked WAY too easy!
Thanks for taking the time RobF.

Had a feeling it was a little too narrow. From what I've been told/read my arms should be vertical to the floor at the bottom most point?

It was too easy as I'm ramping up my weights for bench again after failing my PR a few weeks ago :)

DougoeFre5h
06-11-2006, 10:42 PM
There wasnt anything blatently wrong with your squat. Id suggest putting some more weight on there though, because your form suddenly gets really "automatic" when you got a buick on your back. What Im saying is you were totally focused on form during that set. Now during a 1RM attempt you might find your form to be a little, different.

ShortOne
06-11-2006, 11:28 PM
There wasnt anything blatently wrong with your squat. Id suggest putting some more weight on there though, because your form suddenly gets really "automatic" when you got a buick on your back. What Im saying is you were totally focused on form during that set. Now during a 1RM attempt you might find your form to be a little, different.
I'll take that as a compliment, as all I was thinking though that squat was. "C'mon!! you can do it".
It was a PR for me, but I'm positive I could do more.. I was close to adding another 2.5kgs and going for it again, but didn't want to stuff my progression.
It seemed easy to me on the day.

Thank you for your opinion dougoefre5h. Appreciate it.

idk
06-24-2006, 12:52 AM
with your power cleans, you should try to get used to pushing your elbows as far out as possible when catching the clean. your elbows should be parallel to the floor. with your delts and clavicle, you are making a flat surface for the bar to rest on. think of it this way, a lot of people who do just cleans, without the jerk at the end can hold the bar with just their index and middle finger, just because they are hooking it onto the bar. if they were to move their hands, the bar should still be able to stay on top of your upper chest.
imagine that you are holding the bar as if you are doing front squats. normally, a person crosses their arms across the bar, but still has the bar across their upper chest. it is the same, except you are holding the bar instead.
do this next time you power clean. have someone stand and watch your form, and after you have caught the bar, hold it there. then tell your friend to lift your elbows straight up until they are parallel to the floor. as he or she does this, you should feel the bar come to rest across your front delts and clavicle/upper chest. thats how it should feel.