PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form Check

SoG
06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Here's a recent video of my 295x3 deadlift. Let me know what you think about my form.

http://media.putfile.com/Daed-295x3-6-9-06

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

Galileo
06-09-2006, 10:45 PM
It seems like your hips are coming up too soon, you're almost stiff-legging it. Try to drive more with your legs. That aside though it was a good lift!!

fufu
06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Seems like you are pulling mostly with your back. Form wise it looked pretty good but I would get those glutes down lower and try to activate your hips more in the lift.

SoG
06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Here's the issue: I have really long legs and whenever I "sit back" in the deadlift, my center of balance is thrown off extensively--basically I'm going to fall down if I don't readjust my hips up.

I could widen my stance and go sumo to successfully get my hips lower, which I may do in the future. That's the only way I can maintain my balance while dropping my hips low.

Any comments or suggestions on how to practice better form, if possible, is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

iron addict
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
You could use more leg drive, but you are correct that longer legged pullers tend to start with the hips higher and use more back. Doing some box deads, or lightened band pulls can be helpful for working on more leg drive. But for your body type the first two pulls were fairly balanced. The last one was getting funky:D

IA

fufu
06-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Here's the issue: I have really long legs and whenever I "sit back" in the deadlift, my center of balance is thrown off extensively--basically I'm going to fall down if I don't readjust my hips up.

I could widen my stance and go sumo to successfully get my hips lower, which I may do in the future. That's the only way I can maintain my balance while dropping my hips low.

Any comments or suggestions on how to practice better form, if possible, is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

I have recently switched to a sumo stance for deadlifts. I also have very long legs. I found the sumo stance to be quite comfortable, plus I was able to pull more weight with it. You may want to give it a shot, depending on your hip flexibility. Flexability can always be worked on though.

Joe
06-15-2006, 10:34 PM
looked ok to me

SoG
06-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys--I'll implement some of the suggestions in the near future.

Best,
Dave

ljefe15
10-03-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm gonna bump this thread up, hope you don't mind soG.

I kinda lift like soG. I'm also fairly tall, 6", and can deadlift around 405 for 2-3 reps. However, its been bothering me that i'm a 'back' lifter instead of a 'hip' one. My hips go higher than soG does in his video above and its causing some concern with all the slipped discs, strained backs around these days.

What i'd like to know is how i can work on using more lower body drive? Whenever i try, the weight just can't go up. When i lift my hips higher however, the lift would be easy.. much easier. Is there anything i can do to correct this? Lower the weight and practice correct form again? HIP high lifting also seems much easier than HIP low, but is injury the only reason why one shouldn't be doing it?

Thanks for any help!

wildman1717
10-03-2006, 10:32 PM
That is why I pull sumo, my conventional lift looked something like SoG's. I have a hard time driving with my legs too. My body type is a little different, I have a long body and short arms and legs.

ljefe15
10-04-2006, 07:21 AM
That is why I pull sumo, my conventional lift looked something like SoG's. I have a hard time driving with my legs too. My body type is a little different, I have a long body and short arms and legs.

Wildman, thanks for the reply. But is there no way you'd try and re-learn deadlifting the normal way? Hip first?

Is there such a big difference pulling sumo compared to conventional? If there ain't, i'm gonna give it a go.

RollinsClone
10-04-2006, 02:32 PM
try going hips first on your warmups, You'll notice you can much easier thatn with a work set. Really it comes down to lowering the weight and concentrating on the form while doing the lift. If you can't deadlift 135 without raising your hips first, then you need some serious hip work, and/or have some flexibility issues.

ljefe15
10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
try going hips first on your warmups, You'll notice you can much easier thatn with a work set. Really it comes down to lowering the weight and concentrating on the form while doing the lift. If you can't deadlift 135 without raising your hips first, then you need some serious hip work, and/or have some flexibility issues.

So going sumo is not a solution but just a quick stop-gap measure?

RollinsClone
10-05-2006, 02:00 PM
by no means did i say sumo is not a solution, but if you're dead set on pulling conventional this is the way to incorporate more leg drive. I pull sumo and conventional. My best pull is conventional, i switched to sumos for different angle of stimulation and haven't switched back as of yet. Pull both, if you're going for strength stick with the one you can get the most weight with with good form, if its size gains you're after, go with the one that you noticed made you grow more (most find conventional does this more, but everyone has differing opinions). Really in the end just try to keep progressing. Just remeber safety is key or else you wont be doing the lift for very long.

ljefe15
10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
by no means did i say sumo is not a solution, but if you're dead set on pulling conventional this is the way to incorporate more leg drive. I pull sumo and conventional. My best pull is conventional, i switched to sumos for different angle of stimulation and haven't switched back as of yet. Pull both, if you're going for strength stick with the one you can get the most weight with with good form, if its size gains you're after, go with the one that you noticed made you grow more (most find conventional does this more, but everyone has differing opinions). Really in the end just try to keep progressing. Just remeber safety is key or else you wont be doing the lift for very long.

Rollins, appreciate the reply. I'll give sumo a go.