PDA

View Full Version : This is how to do a pull-thru

iron addict
03-15-2006, 04:27 PM
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=33909&tid=104

This is a regular pullthrough, low pull-thrus have much more knee flexion.

IA

Marz
06-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Are you supposed to round your back when you do these?

iron addict
06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
You can do it rounded or arched.

IA

RobF
06-13-2006, 01:36 AM
You can do it rounded or arched.

IA
Arched, that would be with a lot less ROM right?! Anyone able to do full ROM with an arched back would be able to look up their own arse...:D

DougoeFre5h
06-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Arched, that would be with a lot less ROM right?! Anyone able to do full ROM with an arched back would be able to look up their own arse...:D
Shit and a lot more than that.

Pull throughs are a ball buster for sure. I recently ran across a really nice attachment just for pullthroughs. Nice handles but it fits through your legs. I still use the ropes though.

Feint
08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I've experimented with a more straight-back butt back version to emphasize the glutes and the pullthrough version done by Dave, with the same ROM..Awesome exercises. This is the exercise that gave me massive stretch marks on my hamstrings.....Unfortunately, I cannot perform the rounded back one more than 2x a week while squatting without overtraining my lower back....Brutal, but fun.

Hoops
08-04-2006, 03:41 PM
really hate these. They're just weird...my grip on the rope just doesn't feel natural. I cheat without wanting to, my balance is off when I do them (maybe need a differnt shoe or something). Much rather do glut hams, hypers, or reverse hypers.

padge
08-14-2006, 01:16 AM
I use a "D" handle and it works pretty good. I like it much better than the rope.

ThatArmyKid
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
i get so many wierd looks like wtf am i doing looks anytime i do this exercise ...

RipStone
01-31-2008, 07:40 AM
i get so many wierd looks like wtf am i doing looks anytime i do this exercise ...
That just means you're doing them right....

:top:

wheykrayz
01-31-2008, 08:32 AM
I always catch hell from guys at the gym when I do these...They say "What the hell are you doing"? I say "pull thru's, I need a spot too...Come stand in front me, with your back facing me"...lol

shamoo
01-31-2008, 09:32 AM
I always catch hell from guys at the gym when I do these...They say "What the hell are you doing"? I say "pull thru's, I need a spot too...Come stand in front me, with your back facing me"...lol

I think I am the only person who has never been questioned in the gym, no matter what I do. The only exception is when I was doing board presses a long time ago, Victor Martinez started talking to me (no joke, lol)

steelsnow
01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
you guys try doing them in a gym in SF!

Confuse
01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Any of you guys have problems with hitting your junk with the handle and or rope? I think my form needs work. My balls shouldn't be sore, should they?

Jimbojones
02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Any of you guys have problems with hitting your junk with the handle and or rope? I think my form needs work. My balls shouldn't be sore, should they?

I just spit water onto my keyboard. This is one of the funniest things I've read all week.

A+

sbigp92
05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
so how would i do these to emphasize the lower back as much as possible??

RAW
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM

also - how would you target the hams the most?

i need a new hamstring exercise and was gonna try these out

RipStone
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM

also - how would you target the hams the most?

i need a new hamstring exercise and was gonna try these out

To both of you guys, play around with your stance in order to emphasize specific posterior chain muscle groups.

If you do pull-throughs stiff-legged with your feet close together, then IME the lower back gets hit harder.

Alternativley, if you use a wider stance with bent knees, the glutes and hamstrings are emphasized, again IME.

B.Money
07-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a question,

I have been doing these now and the only low cable pully has only 150lbs max on it.

I have seen guys hang plates off the plates on the machine, but never really got to see it up close. Do they get another pin, and hang them on the little nub-or do they pull it halfway out...or is there a better way? :D

heavytwenty
10-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Tried these first time today. Feels like its only hitting my lower back. My back felt more tired than ever; like I was pushing new PR on deadlifts or something.

Is that normal? I thought these were gluts/hamstring exercise.

Sand Blaster
10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Were your knees locked or straight?

SB

iron addict
10-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I have a question,

I have been doing these now and the only low cable pully has only 150lbs max on it.

I have seen guys hang plates off the plates on the machine, but never really got to see it up close. Do they get another pin, and hang them on the little nub-or do they pull it halfway out...or is there a better way? :D

That will get you in trouble or kicked out of most gyms. Use a band instead.

IA

iron addict
10-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Tried these first time today. Feels like its only hitting my lower back. My back felt more tired than ever; like I was pushing new PR on deadlifts or something.

Is that normal? I thought these were gluts/hamstring exercise.

That is telling you your low Back is weak. Move up your pull-through weight 100 lbs and your back, glutes and hams will all be bigger. If you insist on only hitting your hams, do glute ham raises instead.

IA

B.Money
10-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks IA,

I wanted to ask, would it be wiser for a beginner trainee to bring up the pull-through first as a priority, over GHR's -- in terms of crossover?

iron addict
10-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Most 400 lb squatters can't do a single ghetto GH the first few times they try, so yes, pull-troughs are a logical progression.

IA

B.Money
10-19-2008, 06:31 PM
That will get you in trouble or kicked out of most gyms. Use a band instead.

IA

Sent in for a #4 band (50-120lbs) today from APT. In theory I hopefully will be able to use the band and the stack together.

I have never used a band before, and saw a vid of a dude struggling with a 10-50lb band and got a little worried I got one a little too heavy...

At the gym I use the 150lb stack--so I could not imagine..hopefully I can add weight on the stack as I progress. :)

Walbird
04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Should my arms be like hooks- just holding onto the weights, like in deadlifts and not do any actual pulling?

ihop1411
07-10-2009, 04:52 PM
is there any way to keep from dragging the cable across your nuts as you do these or is it something you have to get used to?

missleRob
07-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Most 400 lb squatters can't do a single ghetto GH the first few times they try, so yes, pull-troughs are a logical progression.

IA

I have tried thos Glute Ham Raises, and there is NO WAY that I can do those, I am not even close, and then I tried these. These exercises feel like they will certainly help the squat to get better.

If I met whoever invented this exercise, I would shake their hand. On the day three of the Three Day Hardgainers Routine, there is little energy left after doing the deadlifts, but I then do these exercises, the pull-throughs, and it is good! I can feel this and think -- this must help out the squats and the deadlifts!

B.Money
07-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Can anyone do a ghetto GHR without doing a push up on the way up? Seems almost impossible, have never seen it done but always see people doing them no problem on the machines.

yarmish
07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Can anyone do a ghetto GHR without doing a push up on the way up? Seems almost impossible, have never seen it done but always see people doing them no problem on the machines.

after months of doing them i can get a few reps unassisted when i am fairly fresh,took a long time for me

PollyPhenol
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
after months of doing them i can get a few reps unassisted when i am fairly fresh,took a long time for me

It took me a year to be able to do 1 rep completely unassisted after 2 x 5 of squats on the SPBR! Haha!

a-bomb83
12-21-2009, 03:28 AM
just stumbled across this, very helpful. been hearing about these forever and never looked into them. glad i did.

oldiron
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Never did these until IA set me up on them. I love these. They make my lower back feel great.

MEbigUsmall
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Is this where you jam your feet under something and do a superman type movement off the floor. I saw this trainer at my gym do them for many reps, and I think hold them as well. He was a powerlifter/ runner.

NORCAL
04-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Is this where you jam your feet under something and do a superman type movement off the floor. I saw this trainer at my gym do them for many reps, and I think hold them as well. He was a powerlifter/ runner.

He was both a powerlifter AND runner at the same time?

And after reading this a while back pull-throughs and GHR have become a staple of my routine.

msucurt
12-27-2010, 02:39 PM
yep....i do both GHR and pullthroughs in my current routine. Good stuff.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30029

He was both a powerlifter AND runner at the same time?

And after reading this a while back pull-throughs and GHR have become a staple of my routine.