PDA

View Full Version : Speed Squats

ShortMick
01-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Video of Dynamic Squats 1/27/06 (http://media.putfile.com/ShortMicks-DE-Squats-12706)

I also linked to this in my training log. Box is slightly below parallel, the bar is a buffalo bar.

First four sets was with 265lbs plus greens and purples. Added 50lbs to last four sets. You can see my nervous system had to 'readapt' after adding the weight. My 5th set slows down, and the 6th one speeds up.

I've got to focus on dynamic work as I feel my speed is sub-par compared to what national level lifters should demonstrate.

Open to all feedback.

threenorns
01-28-2006, 10:34 AM
my opinion? totally looks like that was too easy for you, lol.

ShortMick
01-28-2006, 11:12 AM
my opinion? totally looks like that was too easy for you, lol.

Thanks. I'll have to put up some video of one of my training partners (our strongest lifter who will, barring catastrophy, qualify for the WPO this June) doing his speed work. When he ascends from the box, it almost looks like the film skips or speeds up. You have to see it to appreciate his rate of force generation.

Sand Blaster
01-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Looks good Mick....your form looks tight.

SB

ShortMick
01-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Looks good Mick....your form looks tight.

SB

Thanks SB! I'm getting to where most things in terms of form are automatic, so I'm only thinking about one or maybe two things during the lift. Right now it's driving the head up hard right off of the box.

It's a never-ending process.

Joe
01-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Video of Dynamic Squats 1/27/06 (http://media.putfile.com/ShortMicks-DE-Squats-12706)

I also linked to this in my training log. Box is slightly below parallel, the bar is a buffalo bar.

First four sets was with 265lbs plus greens and purples. Added 50lbs to last four sets. You can see my nervous system had to 'readapt' after adding the weight. My 5th set slows down, and the 6th one speeds up.

I've got to focus on dynamic work as I feel my speed is sub-par compared to what national level lifters should demonstrate.

Open to all feedback.

VERY NICE mick... what are most of your variations you use for DE squa

ShortMick
01-28-2006, 01:08 PM
VERY NICE mick... what are most of your variations you use for DE squa

For dynamic work, we rotate bars (ssb, power bar, and buffalo bar), and the load (weight and type of accommodating resistance). We always squat to right at or just below parallel, always the same stance (whatever that lifter's competition stance is), and always sets of 2.

Joe
01-28-2006, 01:51 PM
For dynamic work, we rotate bars (ssb, power bar, and buffalo bar), and the load (weight and type of accommodating resistance). We always squat to right at or just below parallel, always the same stance (whatever that lifter's competition stance is), and always sets of 2.

the only gym our bar has is the reg bar and the ssb :(, so can only rotate them two and different sized boxes.

ShortMick
01-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I'd leave the box height alone. No worries if you don't have a buffalo bar. There's no reason why you couldn't use the power bar (straight bar) every week, truthfully.

Joe
01-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd leave the box height alone. No worries if you don't have a buffalo bar. There's no reason why you couldn't use the power bar (straight bar) every week, truthfully.

90% of time Im using the 10 inch box, but I read it is beneficial to use the 16inch box

ShortMick
01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
90% of time Im using the 10 inch box, but I read it is beneficial to use the 16inch box

I like to have high box squats in the ME rotation, but not as a speed movement. Part of the purpose of DE days is form rehearsal, so I want the depth to be pretty much right on parallel.

Joe
01-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I like to have high box squats in the ME rotation, but not as a speed movement. Part of the purpose of DE days is form rehearsal, so I want the depth to be pretty much right on parallel.

Great point

ShortMick
01-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I was asked by someone what I feel, from watching the vids, I need to improve on my form. It was an excellent question and I wanted to post my response:

Two things could be better:

1) Most importantly, I could sit back harder, esp right at the beginning of the descent. I still see my knees coming forward at the top on some sets.

2) Second to that, my elbows could be 'down' more (underneath the bar). This keeps my torso as upright as possible. I squat in poly for now, so I can get away with some forward lean, but should I switch to canvas, I may not have any leeway for that. Leaning forward in a canvas is a good way to end up sitting in the head-judges lap.

The thing to remember on the squat is that anything you 'do' biomechanically on the way down has to be 'undone' on the way up. Therefore, I really only want to make the minimum amount of movement with my body to get down to parallel and maintain optimal leverages.

SoG
01-29-2006, 12:58 PM
You're so weak!!! ;)

Is it easier to squat back with a suit on?

Keep it up!

-Dave

ShortMick
01-29-2006, 01:45 PM
You're so weak!!! ;)

Is it easier to squat back with a suit on?

Keep it up!

-Dave

:D

No, it's harder in a suit because it's trying to keep your hips in line.