PDA

View Full Version : ShortMick's Competition Vids 11.05.05

ShortMick
11-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Click the lifts to pull up the video:

SQUAT (http://media.putfile.com/ShortMick-744-Squat)

(744lbs, 83lb PR) You can see that the pins were set too high, so I had to wait for them to clear them under bar, then wait for the bar to 'settle'. This was my fault, I should have had them set it lower as I had moved my stance out a bit and also had a heavier weight than previous meets.

BENCH PRESS (http://media.putfile.com/ShortMick-501-Bench-Press)

(501lbs, 44lb PR) Zero leg drive :( . Still, it was a PR. Small wonder I get such a solid carryover from my floor press...

DEADLIFT (http://media.putfile.com/ShortMick-672-Deadlift)

(672lbs, 11lb PR) It's fortunate I got a very fast 'down' command, as I was about to lose the bar on the left side. A tearing callous might have caused this.

1917 total, 138lb PR. Elite total, qualified for APF Senior Nationals.

WSBB24
11-08-2005, 10:49 AM
AWESOME vids bro! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

That squat set up looked like it must haved sucked. It looked like the bar was going to topple off on your left shoulder there. You still nailed it though.

AWESOME job on the bench bro! You made that 500lbs look EASSSSSY.

Nice job on the DL too man. I know what you mean about tearing callouses.....its good that the ref gave you the quick call though.

Congrats again! Rest and heal up now!

ShortMick
11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks WS!

That thing with the set-up on the squat I think cost me a little 'tightness'. Again, it was my fault, so...lesson learned.

Rest is definitely the order of the day :)

exmgq
11-08-2005, 10:58 AM
nice vids. thanks for posting those mick.

next time you have trouble popping it out of the mono just rerack it and ask them to lower the rack height. you earned that squat sho nuff.

congrats on the total and all the prs.

ShortMick
11-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ex!

next time you have trouble popping it out of the mono just rerack it and ask them to lower the rack height.
That's exactly what I should have done. That's what experience will do for ya, lesson learned. Thanks.

iron addict
11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Had me on the edge of my seat with the squat setup:D

Made the bench and the dead look EASY!

AWESOME JOB!

IA

guyfromkop
11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
very nice, good job

Matt76
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Great job Mick. I can't give advice on dead or squat b/c I suck at both. However, your dead look easy and damn I was worried about that squat but good job pulling through even under those conditions.

Also it looks to me like u need to work some 3,4,5 raw boards to help that lockout(chains and bands are always fun). You had some leg drive but you can never have enough. Keep up the hard work and a 550 bench and a 2000lb total is just around the corner

o yeah what kind of dl suit do u use?? Is it metal if so how do u like it

ShortMick
11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Great job Mick. I can't give advice on dead or squat b/c I suck at both. However, your dead look easy and damn I was worried about that squat but good job pulling through even under those conditions.

Also it looks to me like u need to work some 3,4,5 raw boards to help that lockout(chains and bands are always fun). You had some leg drive but you can never have enough. Keep up the hard work and a 550 bench and a 2000lb total is just around the corner

o yeah what kind of dl suit do u use?? Is it metal if so how do u like it
Thanks Matt!

Thanks for the input, esp on bench. You're right, I'm seemingly *always* in need of more board work. I have been using bands and to a lesser degree chains on lockout work, but I've had to limit my heavy pressing volumes due to ongoing elbow issues. I also don't get to do as much speed work for bench as I would like. I'm going to have to find a way to recover from more volume on that stuff if I want to reach more competitive levels of pressing.

The squat setup is scarier to watch than it was when it happened, and EX is 100% correct in that I should have re-racked it and had the height reset.

For the deadlift, I wasn't wearing a suit. I was wearing briefs under the singlet, however. So far I haven't liked the feel of pulling with a suit. I probably need to learn, though, and stop 'spotting' my competition the 20lbs or so that I could probably get out of one.

Matt76
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah I thought about just getting a pair of Titan briefs to DL in for now.

ShortMick
11-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I've been using Frantz double poly's, and I swear by them.

A few of my teammates have the new Inzer Predator briefs, and particularly the ones that pull sumo (and squat) in canvas suits love them. That's not to say anything negative about the Titan ones, I just don't know a lot about them (however a number of lifters at the gym use a ton of Titan gear and love it).

TST13
11-08-2005, 10:27 PM
You are one power liftin' mofo!! Awesome job Bro!!

maverick_
11-09-2005, 02:21 AM
that is awesome mick. you just killed that pull. congrats man.

ShortMick
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys!

Maverick, the pull was certainly easy enough, but I nearly lost my grip on the left hand. It's finally time for me to start doing some grip training.

strongweapon
11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
anyone know why i wouldnt be able to get those vids to come through---the page loads but the vid wont play-----i use mozilla firefox and have my internet explorer deleted due to massive spyware infection if this info helps--and yes my windows updates are current

exmgq
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
works for me with firefox.

wolverine
11-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Those are some sick clips man! Well done!

RedSwan78
11-10-2005, 05:07 AM
ShortMick,

OUTSTANDING lifts/vids man! Congrats! I have NO IDEA how you where able to get that squat with all of that crap going on with it getting caught up on the monolift and all, but you did, and it was great! That deadlift was pretty insane too, you nailed it! Good job man! :)

ShortMick
11-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks again, everyone!

Redswan, thanks. That's a badass avatar, btw :D

RollinsClone
11-10-2005, 11:09 AM
matt what were you deadlifting in in your first meet vid?

ShortMick
11-10-2005, 11:20 AM
matt what were you deadlifting in in your first meet vid?
You said 'matt', but maybe you meant 'mick'?

If you're asking me, I've always pulled in a singlet with frantz briefs.

RedSwan78
11-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Redswan, thanks. That's a badass avatar, btw :D

Burninaaaaating all the peasants! :D

I thought you'd appreciate it :D