PDA

View Full Version : DL's & Box Squats

F-Mac
10-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Just wanted to get some comments on my form. I've been doing DL's for a while but this was only my second time doing box squats. I'm happy with both lifts, I managed to add 20lbs to both lifts from last week. Comments and criticism is welcome.

DL's - 475 x 3, did 465 first and it went up like nothing

http://media.putfile.com/DL_475x3

Box Squats - 315 x 6, did 305 and again it went up very easy. Did these right after DL's, had a little trouble with the last rep...... :D

http://media.putfile.com/Boxsquat_315x6

i'll be posting some for bench next week....

PS - yes I know the walls of my gym are purple.......no need to comment :D

iron addict
10-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Your deadlift form looks solid. However it started to breakdown a bit because of the touch and goes. When doing low reps you should always come to a complete stop and reset for the next rep. Bringing your grip in a bit will reduce the ROM a bit which is always a good thing:D

Your squat form looks good also. You are mostly using the box to set depth though, which by the way was good:D Try doing the box's by sitting FULLY on the box and releasing all the tension in the quads/hams/glutes/hips, pause for a second, then ascend. Tthis takes the stretch reflex out of the movement and will really help you expolode out of the hole, and help build your dead.

IA

exmgq
10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
spread your stance out another 6" and you can pull sumo. you want your arms to be hanging straight down not out to the sides. look at the difference in your arm postion and mine. either bring your stance in so you can hang your arms straight down or spread your stance ut just a bit and pulll sumo. also if you gonna use straps pull dbl over hand.

XX
10-15-2005, 03:45 PM
good advice guys. Also wearing a teamsniffy shirt as seen above will do wonders for your lifts!

threenorns
10-15-2005, 03:59 PM
<psst! the logo is made up of slow-release AAS - that's why all ts shirt-wearers are so big>

F-Mac
10-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the advice guys (and gals :)) I'm going to try and narrow up my stance a bit and move my grip closer next week.....we'll see how that goes. I'll also make sure I pause on the box as well..........

So how would one go about obtaining one of these team sniffy shirts? Seems like I'm sacrificing my gains by not wearing one. :D

XX
10-15-2005, 06:40 PM
not only will a team sniffy shirt provide sustained realeses of AAS(if you choose that option) it will bestow upon you good fortune as seen here with all the FREE protein the great Sniff lead us to http://www.apexlogik.net/IA/9.JPG

you may wish to contact RCS or Sniffy54 in regards to acquiring a shirt.

and your deadlift as is is very stout, following some of the advice given above should work wonders for ya. what are you weighing in at?

Marz
10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Great form, heavy weights, good work!

WSBB24
10-16-2005, 01:07 AM
I agree with IA dude....pause on the box, and sit on it completely. I noticed a world of difference in my squat when I started doing that.

Your DL is STRONG. Do you try and explode off the floor? It seems like you're just taking your time pulling them up. Whenever i pull I try and EXPLODE off the floor. I'd also tell you to narrow your stance a bit....that wide of a grip would be hell on my shoulders.

STRONG lifts though! Nice work!

F-Mac
10-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys, i'm sure these little tweaks will help for sure. It's been forever since I had anybody comment on my form when lifting, I guess after a while you just get used to doing it a certain way.....

XX, as of this morning I was 216.....been at this weight for a while now :mad:

WSB, when I lift i try to keep the weight under control through the entire range. I don't think I could lift it any faster without compromising form. I've always had my arms at that with, by keeping my shoulders back it reduces the strain on them, made the mistake of letting them roll forward once and paid for it big time. I'm going to try an overall narrower stance and see how that feels.

exmgq
10-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys, i'm sure these little tweaks will help for sure. It's been forever since I had anybody comment on my form when lifting, I guess after a while you just get used to doing it a certain way.....

XX, as of this morning I was 216.....been at this weight for a while now :mad:

WSB, when I lift i try to keep the weight under control through the entire range. I don't think I could lift it any faster without compromising form. I've always had my arms at that with, by keeping my shoulders back it reduces the strain on them, made the mistake of letting them roll forward once and paid for it big time. I'm going to try an overall narrower stance and see how that feels. you want your shouders rolled forward to knock several inches off the stroke. start in a strong position b ut as you near lockout let them roll forward. makes a big difference.

look at my pic again and you can see im already starting to let them relax forward.

F-Mac
10-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Ex, so you've never had any issues with dislocations when pulling heavy weight and letting them roll forward?

I ask because that's what happened with me, I was pulling 495 and let them roll forward, left one went out and in very quickly and I was out of commission for several weeks. Ever since (especially on the heavy lifts) i've made sure to keep them back and I haven't had any problems. However, it could have been partly due to the fact that I had previously dislocated that shoulder..........not sure on that. Maybe the grip width had something to do with it also?? :confused:

exmgq
10-20-2005, 01:41 AM
i just relax them and let them hang down. maybe "rolling forward" was a bad way to put it.

i used to pull them back like you do but its wasted movement in a meet.

F-Mac
10-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Alright, it's been 2 weeks (didn't do DL's last week) so I got a video of my DL's yesterday with the corrections in form that were recommended:

- more narrow stance & grip
- pause at the bottom of the motion, no touch & go

....sorry Ex but I couldn't do the shoulder roll thing.......tried it in my warmups and it just didn't feel right. But since I'm not training to compete I'm just going to stick with my current method.

The weight dropped by 10 lbs from last time with all the corrections (mainly because of the stop & go). But I expected that. I planned to do 455, but it went up fairly easily, so I shot for 465. Felt really strong, if I had stuck to my old form I'm confident I could have pulled 490.

So yeah.......critiques & comments welcome! :)

DL 465x3 paused (http://media.putfile.com/Deadlifts-Oct-28-corrected-form-465x3)

......if I look a little disoriented at the end it's because I forgot where I was for a second.... :D

SoG
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Huge improvement, dude!

Do you put your videos in slow-moe or what?

-Dave

F-Mac
10-31-2005, 05:14 PM
lol :D ............nope, no slow motion that's just how I lift. I can't get that much weight off the floor very quickly........and I just try to lower it under control.

iron addict
11-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Looks very solid. Good even pull, big improvement over the last vids. No need to do the hyperflexion once you are locked out though.

IA

F-Mac
11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks IA. :D