PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Strength and Conditioning Log

The families cat
07-31-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm 18 years old, play rugby league and going to do IA's SPBR for my Strength training ill be lifting on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday with Rugby training on Monday and Thursday. All weights in Kilos. Not sure on my weights atm cos I've not been gym in a while with rugby training been so strenous and I was on a lads holiday for a week in Malia which destroyed my body with excess drinking and staying out in nightclubs til half 7 in morning haha

Current Lift: Squat 110 x 5
Deadlift last time I did it 165 x 3
Bench its probably dropped to about 80 x 5
Overhead press strict military form: 60 x 11
Push Press: 85kg x 1

Goals: 3 plate squat x 5 (done it for 1 before)
2 plate Bench x 5 (used to do it for 5)
4 plate deadlift x 1 (never done 4 plate deadlift)
2 plate Bent over row (never been good at these)
80kg Military press

Todays Workout:
Squats 1 x 5 110
Kettlebell swings 3 x 10
Bent over row 70kg 4 x 6
Barbell curll 32.5kg 3 x 8 really focused on controlling and squeezing muscles with slow negatives
Calf raises 60kg 3 x 15

OKUMatt
07-31-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess I'm in on this, even though you do play league...

The families cat
07-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess I'm in on this, even though you do play league...

Thanks bro :)

guessin your a union softy? ;)

T.K
07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice looking log. How heavy are you?

league > union

The families cat
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Nice looking log. How heavy are you?

league > union

15st 3lb

I'm trying to lose weight atm cos I got a right beer belly from this year haha

hoping that Strength programme, pre season, and twice a week doing Kettlebell conditioning will help me drop some bodyfat.

TomPudd AKA Wil
07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
What the hell is the difference between a union and a league?

The families cat
07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
What the hell is the difference between a union and a league?

Rugby Union and Rugby League are two different sports.

Rugby League is the working class mans game most popular in the North of england(where I live) and Australia.

Rugby Union is the Public School/Grammar school kids game played predominantly by the middle/upper class.

The main reason they split was the working class guys in the north needed money to be able to play as they worked 6 days a week but the Rugby Union was strictly amateur so they made their own Rugby league and changed the rules.

Rugby League is a simpler game with alot of big hits and big runs. Each side has 6 tackles before they have to handover possession of the ball. In League you have to be alot more conditioned because there are no rucks/mauls/line outs/contested scrums. The ball is always in play and after each tackle the defence must get back 10metres to not be offside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HsAhUrT8Dk

Rugby Union is boring, nuffsaid ;)

OKUMatt
08-01-2011, 12:21 AM
More along the lines of league guys are scared to hit. Scared to ruck, maul, or really contest a scrum. I don't like the concept of getting back that far to regain a defensive charge. Gives the offensive guy too much of a break. Although, to be fair, in the U.S. we don't really play league at all. I don't know of a team in the state to play for. League is more conditioned, I'll admit that, but not nearly as physical. What position do you play? I'm a lock and flanker.

TomPudd AKA Wil
08-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Hmmm, out of the two of you I really only got that League is more running and a continuous game. While Union is makes it a more "fair" game by giving each team the ball?

Sorry if the answer is in the vid, i'm at home and dont have a good connection and I really don't feel like making the vid load.

I'm looking into a team now, excited to play, but I'm not sure if I will get the chance to or not

OKUMatt
08-01-2011, 01:37 AM
League is more continuous, and is the one that gives the ball over after six tackles.

Union is more physical and the team keeps the ball until the other team can come take it.

TomPudd AKA Wil
08-01-2011, 01:45 AM
What happens after you score?

I guess I could do a simple google search on the rules.. But I don't want to :P

OKUMatt
08-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Who ever scored has the ball kicked back to them from the midfield line.

The families cat
08-01-2011, 05:20 AM
League is more continuous, and is the one that gives the ball over after six tackles.

Union is more physical and the team keeps the ball until the other team can come take it.

Union isn't more physical lol League is alot more physical mate. In Union the defence only gets back to the backfoot of the ruck so your like 5 metres away from opposition tops and people tackle low. League your 10 metres away minimum meaning players can run the ball in full speed and smash it in. In league your allowed to tackle properly and shoulder charge aswell. In Union you have to have your arms around the tackler. I've been sent off alot when I've played union for making a big hit which is legal in league but illegal in union lol.

The families cat
08-01-2011, 05:23 AM
What happens after you score?

I guess I could do a simple google search on the rules.. But I don't want to :P

Union is very complicated rules whys.

League due to being professional and therefore had to be better to watch for the public is simpler and more aggressive for better viewing.

regarding the 6 tackles you dont generally use your last tackle and handover the ball, you kick the ball on the 5th tackle.

A set of 6 might look something like this:
Give it to big prop to hit it up
Give it to big 2nd row to hit it up
try and use ball to break defence
Pass it around a bit to break defence
Give it to halfback to kick it

the video I linked you gives you an idea of the physicality of league the videos called legal brutality lol

In union the international matches tackles arent as big as amateur in league lol Thats why when players convert from league to Union they dominate it like Sonny Bill Williams is doing now.

OKUMatt
08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Seemed to me League is just more playing holes than trying to drive through. You have more time to hit speed, but once they get hit they seem to flop over, from what I've seen on tv. They don't really want to ruck. Scrums also seem like a formality. To each his own, though.

The families cat
08-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Seemed to me League is just more playing holes than trying to drive through. You have more time to hit speed, but once they get hit they seem to flop over, from what I've seen on tv. They don't really want to ruck. Scrums also seem like a formality. To each his own, though.

they probably seem to "flop over" cos their getting banged when they run ball in at full speed, its easy to get knocked off balance. Everytime ball is run in in league its like a Tap penalty in union with the 10 metre gap and you'll know how hard you get hit when you run one of those in lol Also there is no rucks, once tackled you play the ball instead of slowing the game down with rucks. the scrum is a bit of a frmality, no one really pushes a) your allowed to feed the ball b) it makes the game faster ratehr than messing around scrumming.

Anyway training last night we did some Ball handling, 4 on 1's and 4 on 2's then sprints fr conditioning which totalled at 1750 metres total sprinting lol, needless to say my legs were jelly. I left when they went onto tackling and defencive work due to not wanting to damage my tattoo.

T.K
08-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Nice looking conditioning work. Where abouts in england are you, I'm somewhere between preston and liverpool.

The families cat
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice looking conditioning work. Where abouts in england are you, I'm somewhere between preston and liverpool.

Doncaster.

(my gyms dumbells are proper old school and you can't see what weight it is so I jus have to count the plates)
Todays Workout:
Flat Bench Press 3 x 5 85kg
Incline dumbell press 3 x 8 with the 30kgs then last set had to drop to 27.5 for 8
Military Press: 40kg 3 x 8 (wow this is llightweight but my tris and delts were fried lol)
Skullcrushers (once again just counting the plates): 25kg 3 x 10
Ab crunch machine 3 x 10

May do some hill sprints later or might be playing a game of footy later for a sunday league team lol

The families cat
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Training tonight did some longer distance running conditioning followed by a load of defencive work and bag hitting drills, then ran moves and ended with a game.

Deadlift day tomorrow hoping to crack out 140 2 x 5

The families cat
08-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Good session:

Deadlift 140kg 2 x 5 first set pronated grip second set alternated group right hand supinated.
Leg press 170 2 x 10
chin ups with 10kg dumbell between feet 4 x 6
Ez bar curls 25kg 3 x 8
calf raises 300lbs 2 x 15

The families cat
08-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Incline bench: 70 3x5
Flat dumbbell bench: 35's 4 x 8
Military press: 40 3x8
Tricep pushdown: 60 (think this machines in pounds lol old school) 3 x 10
Abs one set of 10 weighted crunches

Now i'm off to get bladdered at wetherspoons and got tickets to watch Castleford vs Leeds semi final of challenge cup :D stop hating haters u might see me on tele haha

The families cat
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Squats: 1 x 5 Squats 110
Pullthroughs: 60lbs 3 x 10
Barbell rows: 4 x 6 72.5kg
ez bar curls: 25kg 3 x 9 yes 9 lol
calf raises: 315lbs 3 x 15

Decent session except squats cos legs are tired from massive bike ride and training yesterday.

The families cat
08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Todays workout:
Flat bench: 87.5 3 x 5
Incline dumbell press 4 x 8 27.5's
Militar Press: 42.5 3 x 8
Skullcrushers 25kg 3 x 10
Plank 40 seconds
Side plank both sides 30 seconds

First game tomorrow against Past side. (Past vs Present) hoping for 20 hit ups and 15 tackles on stat sheet minimum.

Widge UK
08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
nice benching mate, what kind of standard rugby are you playing? not my sport but love to watch.

The families cat
08-12-2011, 05:07 PM
nice benching mate, what kind of standard rugby are you playing? not my sport but love to watch.

Thanks bro trying to get back to where i was at christmas reppin 100kg for 6 reps :( feels bad man

good standard Yorkshire 1 open age rugby league.

The families cat
08-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Missin todays workout ill do it tuesday cos i played in a tag rugby tournament and im nackered. plus my knees and ankles killin from game yesterday lol

The families cat
08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Deadlift: 145kg 2 x 5
Leg press: 175 2 x 10
Chin ups 2 sets with 12.5kg weight then my fuckin dip belt broke shithouse!!! then did a set of pullups 12 reps and a set 6 reps
Ez bar curls: 28kg 3 x 8
Calf Raises 330lbs 3 x 15

gonna get me some FAT GRIPZ gonna get dem der popeye arms and a grip better than an 8 year old girl.

The families cat
08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
worked out at home today:

incline bench: 72.5 3 x 5 (easy)
Dips: 4 x 8
Military 45 3 x 8
Skullcrushers: 31kg 1 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 8
2 sets of medicine ball crunches then 30 seconds plank

The families cat
08-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Monday at training we did a mma style strength and conditioning session.

got in pairs and did a circuit of the following excercises with 1 minute on each circuit, 1 minute you went on the other minute your partner did and you had to run.

HUGE tyre flips,
Db Snatch,
Ez curl bar where u could do curls or triceps whatever u fancied,
dragging a weighted tyre (had loads of dumbbells in it) and was attached to like straps which u used to pull it,
Plank on 2 parallel benches,
Standing with your back to a wall and slamming a tyre side to side on the wall behind you jus twisting at the trunk,
Battleropes,
Farmer carries with a big tyre,
Clean and Jerk,
hitting a tyre with a sledgehammer.

so 10 minutes on the stations and 10 minutes running

we then did a load of agility and speed work

then finished with another round of the circuit.

upper back and forearms/grip got a right workout

The families cat
08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Todays workout:

Squats dropped them to 100kg 2 x 5
Pullthroughs 70lbs 3 x 10
Bent over row 75kg 4 x 6 (love rows)
Ez bar curls 30kg 3 x 8
did shrugs instead of calf raises 3 x 15 with 75kg

The families cat
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Flat bench press: 90kg 3 x 5
Incline Db's: 1 set of 7 with 30kg, 3 sets of 8 with 27.5
Had to do dumbell shoulder press cos fat cunts were hogging all the power racks. 20kg dumbells 1 x 8, 2 x 7 (couldnt physically push the last rep, arms jus wouldnt move :/)
Skullcrushers, 30kg x 9, 25 2 x 10
Pallof press 4 x 10 with 05 (thats what it says on the things so presume its 50lbs but its listed 1, 2, 3, etc etc

good workout felt swole, mate was commenting how big and defined i looked doing db shoulder press lol

The families cat
09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
not worked out this week, got a job til next thursday quite strenous work cutting, drilling, grinding, carrying steel all day not had energy for gym. My forearms/grip and back been gettin good workout though lol.

OKUMatt
09-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Weightlifting's great, but sometimes manual labor tops it.

The families cat
09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Made my self do a session yesterday straight after work.

Deadlift 145 2 x 5
Leg press different machine to usual it doesnt go in a straight line but follows a curve, really wierd. : 130 2 x 10
Chin ups 4 x 6 with 10kg DB
Ez bar curls 30 3 x 8

Got a match this afternoon sore as fuaaaark, only playin for local union team though cos not got a game for my team so not bothered, union is piss easy ;)

The families cat
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Mondays Session:
Incline Bench 80kg 3 x 5
Flat dumbell bench 30 4 x 8
Military rpess 2 x 5 with 50 (Breaks my heart pressing lightweight like this for small reps but my shoulders and tris so tired from the other pressing jus cant get it up) and 1 x 5 with 40
Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10 with 8
Plank 30 seconds front, left, right

The families cat
09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Todays session bit of a disaster one of those propa shit sessions, probably from shit day at work.

Squats epic fail: 3 x 105kg (wasnt tiring on legs jus on my shoulders and back and neck probably from work) then a set of 2 and i jus fucked it off

Romanian deadlifts: 2 x 5 with 105kg
Bent over row 80 4 x 6
Curls 30kg 3 x 8

The families cat
09-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Good sesh today before I go to uni tomorrow :D

Closegrip Bench press (forgot 1.25's): 75kg 3 x 5
Incline dumbell press: 30kg db's 4 x 8 ( was easy as fuck compared to other day :S )
Military press: 45kg 3 x 8
Skullcrushers: 3 x 10
set of 10 roman chair sit ups
3 x 10 hyper extensions or 45 degree back raises whatever they called with 10kg plate

grinder
09-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Union is very complicated rules whys.

League due to being professional and therefore had to be better to watch for the public is simpler and more aggressive for better viewing.

regarding the 6 tackles you dont generally use your last tackle and handover the ball, you kick the ball on the 5th tackle.

A set of 6 might look something like this:
Give it to big prop to hit it up
Give it to big 2nd row to hit it up
try and use ball to break defence
Pass it around a bit to break defence
Give it to halfback to kick it

the video I linked you gives you an idea of the physicality of league the videos called legal brutality lol

In union the international matches tackles arent as big as amateur in league lol Thats why when players convert from league to Union they dominate it like Sonny Bill Williams is doing now.

You are only 18 years old and your knowledge of union is very limited to say the least...

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and it would be best not to make absolute statements regarding the above...

When comparing union vs league world wide, league is miniscule in size vs union...

I don't even know what you mean when you say league is a professional sport and union amateur? Union is hugely professional world wide with multi million contracts being handed out...

You are speaking about a very small scope when comparing the schools of your country/region and making a strawman that the rest of the world is in the same situation...

Here in South Africa we see League as an inferior version, where not having proper contesting for the ball in the breakdown is a cop-out in a physical sense...but that is our own opinion...

I suggest you go play some union and you then tell us that it is not as hard as league...:)

Your breakdown of the 6 tackles barely looks intimidating...2 or three hits and then some 'touch' rugby :)

In union as many as 10-15 phases are a regular occurance with each of the phases containing big hits or ball carriers at speed AND in depth (not just 5 meters like you stated) to set up the next phase and then some more big hits at the rucks by huge forwards to secure the ball in which BOTH sides can contest head-on for the ball...

PS: Sonny Bill Williams is not even starting to dominate the sport of Union...He had a few good games with fancy/high risk offloads in games where his team was going forward and had alot of momentum...Graham Henry is not even convinced whether he should be in the starting line-up or not...I would not call that dominating the sport...Union is played with much more pressure on the players and the jury is still out whether SBW will pass the test in the long run...

Just wanted to defend union a bit and don't want to spoil your thread...Just setting some facts straight...

Good luck with your training!

The families cat
09-13-2011, 08:40 AM
You are only 18 years old and your knowledge of union is very limited to say the least...

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and it would be best not to make absolute statements regarding the above...

When comparing union vs league world wide, league is miniscule in size vs union...

I don't even know what you mean when you say league is a professional sport and union amateur? Union is hugely professional world wide with multi million contracts being handed out...

You are speaking about a very small scope when comparing the schools of your country/region and making a strawman that the rest of the world is in the same situation...

Here in South Africa we see League as an inferior version, where not having proper contesting for the ball in the breakdown is a cop-out in a physical sense...but that is our own opinion...

I suggest you go play some union and you then tell us that it is not as hard as league...:)

Your breakdown of the 6 tackles barely looks intimidating...2 or three hits and then some 'touch' rugby :)

In union as many as 10-15 phases are a regular occurance with each of the phases containing big hits or ball carriers at speed AND in depth (not just 5 meters like you stated) to set up the next phase and then some more big hits at the rucks by huge forwards to secure the ball in which BOTH sides can contest head-on for the ball...

PS: Sonny Bill Williams is not even starting to dominate the sport of Union...He had a few good games with fancy/high risk offloads in games where his team was going forward and had alot of momentum...Graham Henry is not even convinced whether he should be in the starting line-up or not...I would not call that dominating the sport...Union is played with much more pressure on the players and the jury is still out whether SBW will pass the test in the long run...

Just wanted to defend union a bit and don't want to spoil your thread...Just setting some facts straight...

Good luck with your training!

I've played rugby union and was actually going to go on a tour to South Africa to play a team called Paarl Gymaniasium or something.

10-15 phases involves about 10 phases of picking and going from the rucks for slow ball. Rugby Union is very tedious.

If you dont know what I mean about league been professional and Union amateur you must know very little about the sport. League was formed in 1895 because working class men who worked 6 days a week in the mines needed to be paid to cover the costs of their expenses to play their beloved rugby which is why the split happened and rugby union remained strictly amateur until the 1990's really when it started becoming more professional.

Now rugby union has changed the rules of the games to be more free flowing and entertaining like rugby league by introducing the new kicking rules but needless to say it is still boring with repetive scrums, lineouts and kicking and not much hard running or tackling.

Anyway we could go on forever about how boring Union is and how much better league is but not in my training log please :P

Went gym uni yesterday its very decent but all new equipment and guy working there started crying when i was deadlifting about it banging the floor and said that I have to lower the weight and place it gently so it doesnt rock the room below which is hard to do with deadlift weight and dangerous for your back :/

Did 140kg deadlift 2 x 5
Leg press 140kg 2 x 10 and immediately following 2nd second stripped 20kg off and did another 12 reps
Pullups with 8kg dumbell 4 x 6
Curls 3 x 8 36kg
Shrugs 3 x 8 with 100kg and immediate following set with 60 for 15 reps

Gonna do some cardio interval training today to run all the beer off, I've been out every night since saturday and out tonight aswell haha

exmgtoo
09-13-2011, 02:12 PM
lots of training going on in here.

i know nothing about rugby cept yall try to kill each other. =0)

The families cat
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
lots of training going on in here.

i know nothing about rugby cept yall try to kill each other. =0)

haha quite true...

Did another 5k interval run yesterday and today:

squat 100kg 3 x5
Pullthroughs the max which is like 25kg kg :/ 2 x 10
bent over row 4 x 6 85kg
Curls 36kg 3 x 8
rear del raise 2 x 10 6kg db's
Calf raises 3 x 15 60kg

New gym take some gettin used too, probably gonnna get fitter all gym im doing and jus eating protein and good stuuf.... except drinking everynight but thats jus for freshers 2 weeks, writing this while drunk eating a pot noodle and bird I jus shagged staring at me sorry haha

The families cat
09-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Did two sessions since then:

Bench 90 3 x 5
Incline dumbbells 32kg 4 x 8
Military press 42.5kg 3 x 8
Skullcrushers 36kg 3 x 10
Abs

Deadlift 142.5kg 2 x 3
Leg press 120kg 2 x 10
Pull ups 6kg db 4 x 6 changing grips
Curls 38.5kg 3 x 8
Shrugs 100kg 2 sets and trapped a nerve in neck :/

The families cat
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
yesterday at training our strength and conditioning coach made us go warm up to activate our muscles then
5 x 10 squat, `10 squat jump, 10 squat, 10 deadlift, 10 jumping deadlift, 10 deadlift, with 1 min rest between sets, legs were like bambi after. lol

then 3 x 10press up, 10 plyo push ups, 10 press ups

then training lol

This morning:
Squats 102.5 1 x 3 and 1 x 5
Pull throughs 27.5 3 x 10
Bent over row 4 x 6 90kg
Curls 36kg 3 x 8

load of flexibility.

The families cat
10-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Sorting out my diet big time, bought a big tub of whey, "alpha men" multi vit and super omega 3 from myprotein.com

hopefully the added vitamins and protein will help recovery etc :D

also got oats for breakfast to have with protein shake and low fat cottage cheese to eat befre bed for casien :D

rugby training again this afernoon... My hammies are getting very jacked from all sprint training haha

The families cat
10-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Wednesday played a 60 minute trial game at like 1.30 then in evening did an arm workout with one of lads:

Straight bar curl 40kg ss/ Dips. 4 x 8

Seated Hammer curls 18kg db's 2 sets and 16's for 2 ss/ overhead DB tricep extension with 26kg db.

Tricep pushdowns 3 sets

Yesterday returned to normality so that my penis would return to regular size and lift some proper weight....

Deadlift: 145 2 x 3
Pull ups: 4 x 6
Leg Press: 2 x 10

Really sorted my diet out, eating of salmon fillets done on foreman grill with mixed vegetables for Tea. Scrambled eggs for breakfast with wholemeal toast, cashews and protein shakes for snacks or can of tuna. Cottage cheese no fat befre bed.

Gonna have cheat day tomorrow though i think and order a pizza for tea...

The families cat
10-18-2011, 08:10 AM
This morning:

Squats 2 x 3 105kg
Pullthroughs 25kg 2 x 10
bent over row 90kg 4 x 6
Zottman curls 14kg 3 x 8

The families cat
10-22-2011, 08:13 AM
This cold/bad chest ive got at is really affecting my strength :(

bench press: 90 x 4, x 3
Incline Db's, 32's 4 x 8
Db shoulders 22kg dbs 1 x 8 (these really hurt my shoulders so stopped doing them, feel bar military is much easier on my joints and safer)
40kg x 8
40kg x 5
Skullcrushers 28kg 3 x 10
Plank 2 x 45 seconds

The families cat
10-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Tuesday: rotator cuff and shoulder prehab + core work + 10 minutes on Bike to get blood flowing in legs and flush lactic acid then shitloads of stretching.

Wednesday: rugby match played fll 80 for 1st team, feel like ive been in a car crash so well earnt rest day today.

Think im gonna start training jus twice a week doing starting strength workout A and B on fridays and sundays with a bit of core work and maybe accessory excercises for rugby. opinions? or keep doing SPBR??? I dont want to be bouncing from routine to routine lol

-SW-
10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
When I was in first year of university I ran Starting Strength but inadvertently only twice a week as on Fridays I either went home or out drinking before I had the time to hit the gym. It worked really well. SS is the fastest strength gains you'll make.

The families cat
10-28-2011, 06:02 PM
decided I'm gonna keep running IA's SPBR had a good surge of energy in gym today :D

did regen yesterday to recover from match on wesdnesday, 20 minutes cycling low intesity and 15 minutes stretching.

Squats: 107.5 3 x 5
Natural glute ham raises: 2 x 10
Bent over row (smashed these today felt really strong on them): 92.5kg 4 x 6
100kg x 3
110kg x 1
Zottmans 12kg dumbeblls 3 x 8

Felt good smashing rows

The families cat
10-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Yesterday did 20 minute HIT run on treadmill effort level 8.

This morning:
Bench: 90 3 x 5
Incline Db press 32's 4 x 8
Shoulder press 45 3 x 8
Skullcrushers: 40.5kg 3 sets. last 3 reps of each set was just negative reps
Defranco Abs circuit 1 set: 20 sprinter sit ups
12 thrusters
12 V ups
10 toe touches

might go do 20 minute light cardio on bike later at gym

The families cat
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
caught a stomach virus on monday, thought it was just diarrhoea at first so went through my day and went rugby training and had the worst stomach ache ever but just presumed it was runners stomach. Went out for halloween, woke up at 5.30 on tuesday with terrible stomach ache and shits, been in bed past two days jus eating dry toast and today had some soup with it. hopefully back to full strength in couple of days for heavy deadlift.

Unofrtunately missed the game today as I wasnt well enough to play. :(

The families cat
11-05-2011, 10:31 AM
first session after week off with virus, dropped weight to 14 st 6 :(

Really focusing on getting my deadlift form good, trying to pull back and use legs more but its really hard could do with some tips.

Rackpulls 150 x 3
Deadlift 150 2 x 1

trying to pull back on rack pulls kept actually losing back and stumblign backwards lol

Leg press 100kg 2 x 10 with really 3-4 seconds negative tempo

2 x 6 pull ups
2 x 6 chin ups
2 x 5 mixed grip pull ups

Some curls, was really weak on these cos of the pain in my left wrist :(

The families cat
11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Went to do my light cardio, rotator cuff ad core work today for match prep for tomorrow.... until i discovered solitair on the bikes.

45 minutes and 17km's later I finally beat it :D

then did rotator cuff work

30 seconds plank
12 sprinter sit ups
12 hip thrusters
10 v ups
10 toe touches

Stretches!

An inflexible muscle is a weak muscle.

Iron Escape
11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
OKUMatt,

It's clear that by your comments that you have not played league. Having played both games for years I can tell you that not only do you need to be much fitter to play league but it is also a more physical tougher game. Unlike union you can shoulder charge in league and rather than taking the ball flat your running from 10 metres into a brick wall.

For your information most international Rugby Union teams defensive coaches are former league players. No offense but Union in US is hardly of the highest standard considering most of your decent athletes play american football.

The families cat
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
replaced incline bench with closegrip. and flat Bench press with paused bench press.

cGBP: 80 3 x 5
Paused DB flat bench: 34's 2 x 8, 32's 2 x 8
Military press: 45 x 6, 40 2 x 8
Tricep pushdowns: 27.5kg 3 x 10

Cardio on bike for 40 minutes

The families cat
11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Squats 4 x 3
Pullthroughs 27.5kg 2 x10
bent over row 95kg 1 x 6
Bent over db row 36's 3 x 6
curls 40kg 3 x 6
shrugs 36's 3 x 10

The families cat
11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Bench press: 92.5 x 5, x 4, x3
Incline DB's 32's 4 x 8
standing shoulder press 45kg 2 x 8, x 6
tricep pushdowns 3 x 10 27.5
decline skullcrushers 26.5 2 x 10
Ab circuit

The families cat
11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Deadlift: 150kg 1 x 3, 1 x 1
lunges: 40kg 2 x 12
Pullups 5-6 sets
1 set of 21's 28kg

took a few pics today:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2yjpr47.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2r3bfrc.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/23s81z8.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/t6a61f.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/29wn6ma.jpg

The families cat
11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
82.5kg CGBP 3 x 5
flat db press 36's 4 x 8 !!! pr and eassaaay, unfortunately highest wait the gyms got so will swap to dips next time
military press 45 3 x 8
overhead rope tricep extensions 3 x 10 20kg
3 x 10 v ups with 6kg medicine ball

The families cat
11-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Bought some Jack3d, let the gains keep rolling, cant wait to try it tomorrow :D

strength and power
11-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Jack3d is decent but most people I know who take it adapt to it pretty quick and have to keep upping the dose to feel the effect. I have had excellent luck with NoBS Dirty as a preworkout. As a warning, the stuff tastes like ass. Get it at WWW.southcarolinabarbell.com

typos by HTC

The families cat
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Jack3d is decent but most people I know who take it adapt to it pretty quick and have to keep upping the dose to feel the effect. I have had excellent luck with NoBS Dirty as a preworkout. As a warning, the stuff tastes like ass. Get it at WWW.southcarolinabarbell.com

typos by HTC

cheers man ill try and find an english supplier.

today: squats 112.5kg x 5, x 4, x4
Pullthroughs: 35kg 2 x 10
Db rows: 36kg 4 x 8
curls: 40kg 3 x 7

dyed my moustache purple too...

The families cat
11-25-2011, 06:24 AM
yesterday: gym was packed so couldnt get on bench for ages and kept doing dips/chins to keep warm but think i inadvertantly wore my triceps out as I jus couldnt lock stuff out after 6 reps.
bench press 95kg x 3, 4, 4.
Incline Db's 34's 2 x 6, 32's x 6
Db shoulders: 24's 3 x 6
db skullcrushers decline: 14's

The families cat
11-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Deadlift: 152.5 2 x 2
Leg press: 120kg 3 x 10
Pull ups 1 x 6, 3 x 6 + 6kg DB
Curls: 40kg 3 x 6-8
Shrugs: 80 3 x 10
Ab circuit 1 set

getting disheartened that I train so hard and eat so well but dont get good results yet all my mates and peers go on gear and get awesome results. (almost instantaneously when they stack D-Bol and Test!!! :@) really pissed off. an acquantiance of mine also offered me Gear not sure whether to do a cycle after christmas of Test-E.

The families cat
11-28-2011, 10:36 AM
watched Bigger faster Stronger the documentary put me off doing steroids again.

todays workout: Closegrip bench press 87.5kg for an easy 3 x 5
Db flat bench: 36's 4 x 8, this is highest dumbbell weight at the gym what excercise should i replace it with? paused db press?? Dips??
Db Shoulder Press 3 x 8 22kg dbs
rope tricep extensions 20kg 3 x 10

good workout felt good considering I got like 5 hours sleep and was on the piss last night haha strange how you can feel shit then have a quality session in gym

The families cat
12-02-2011, 04:47 AM
yesterday something different...

Db Shoulder press seated: 26kg dumbbells 3 x 8, 30kg dumbbells 1 x 8 (pr)
Lateral raises: 10kg dumbbells 3 x 10
Incline bench rear lateral raises: 8kg dumbeels 3 sets
Shrugs: 100kg 3 x 10
rear shrugs on smith machine: 2 sets of 8

even after pump went my shoulders feel bigger :D especiall this morning

The families cat
12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
squats 115kg x 3, x 5
Db romanian deadlifts 30kg dbs 2 x 10
bent over rows 80kg 4 x 6

The families cat
12-04-2011, 11:14 AM
was pretty phsyched today for flat bench so close to 100kg so I made the 5kg jump from 95-100......

Flat bench: 3 x 5 100kg YEEER BUDDY TWO PLATE! :D
dumbbell incline: 36kg's 2 x 8, 34's 2 x 8
dumbbell shoulders 22's 3 x 8
Skullcrushers/curls 28kg 3 x 10/10
Ab circuit x1

boom baby :D

The families cat
12-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Deadlift: 155 x 3, x 2
Leg press: 140 2 x 10
Pull ups 4 x 8
Preacher curls 28kg
Ab circuit + 35 second plank

The families cat
12-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Close grip bench press: 90 x 5, x 4, x 5
Flat dumbell bench: 4 x 8 36's
Shoulder Db's 24's 3 x 8
Overhead rope tricep extensions
Tricep pushdowns
Skullcrshers
Core

The families cat
12-11-2011, 01:44 PM
squats using a 16inch box: 117.kg 2 x 5, 120 x 3
Pulltrhoughs, 2 x 10 ith 40kg
rows machine 50 each side 4 x 6
2 sets of 21's 28kg

The families cat
12-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Bench press 102.5kg 3 x 3 :D first 2 reps got them easy, last rep a grind
Incline bench: 36kg 4 x 8
DB shoulder press: 26's 3 x 8
tricep pushdowns
leg press building up to 200 for 6
core

The families cat
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
epic today

deadlift: 160 x 2, 180 for 1 rep max :D finally 4 plate dead
dynamic squat 80kg 10 x2
pull ups 4 x10
renegade rows

The families cat
12-16-2011, 06:06 PM
r4oSnXM-eWQ

The families cat
12-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Tuesday: Towel bench press: 100kg x 4, x 4 (went for 5 and failed last rep on my own in garage pinned with bar had to roll it off haha
ghetto garage accessory work, dips, kettlebells pushups
then loads of clean and press with 45kg

yesterday bodybuilding style backworkout for fun was hard after days work manual labour/ engineering work my back bis and forearms were already fucked:

Pullups, weighted and unweighted
Bent over rows with 90kg 5-6 sets
T bar rows 65kg bout 6-8 sets
light dumbell pullovers: 10kg dumbell 2 sets
Shrugs 100kg 3 sets of 10
kettlebell towel curls 24kg kettlebell

The families cat
12-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Merry xmas everyone, got fat gripz for xmas so had a xmas day squatathon and tried ouit the fat gripz.

Squats: 120kg 2 x 5
100kg x 5 strip set
got breath back and banged out another rep was gonna do more but hamstring and glute felt like theyd rip....
kettlebell romanian deads: 3 x 10 with 2 24kg kbs
Fatgripz pull ups and dips superset, 4 sets of 10/10

verdict??? fat gripz rock

The families cat
12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
FAT GRIP Incline Bench: 85kg 3 x 5 :D
Dips: 4 x 8
Fat grip military press: 47.5kg 3 x 8
Skullcrushers supersetted with fat grip curls: 3 x 10/8
5 toe to bars and 30 seconds plank

fat gripz are fucking epic

The families cat
12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
yesterday did kettlebell workout with 24kg kettlebell.

Clean and press Ladders with pullups. (1,2,3) x3
Snatch/swing for 12 minutes
plank for 45 seconds with 10kg plate on back

The families cat
12-31-2011, 06:05 AM
yesterday
Deadlift: 160 x 3
Fat grip romanian deadlifts: 60kg 3 x 6, 80 for a few
Leg press: 220kg 4 x 6
Pullup fat gripzs: 5 sets
rope pushdowns: 5 sets of 10
shrugs 3 x 10 100kg

The families cat
01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Bench press: 100kg x 4
105kg x 1
Fat grip bench:
100 x2
100x3
100x3
60x10

Fat bar military press:
40x5
50x5
60x3
50x9
50x5

Dips: 5 sets

Fat grip dumbbell tricep extensions: 5 x10
2 planks with 20kg plate on back. like 50 seconds and 30 seconds
some toe to bars
fat grip curlz with 40kg

The families cat
01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Squats: 125kg x 5, x 3
Single leg curls on plate loaded machine: 40kg 3 x 10Each leg
chest supported rows: 4 x 6
1 set of 15 Krox rows with 45kg dumbbell
3 farmer walks for as far as possible til grip gave out iwth 40kg dumbbells
Fat grip hammer curls 15kg dumbells i think. 3 x 8

The families cat
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Monday: Fat grip incline bench: 87.5kg x 5, x 4, x3
Flat DB bench 36kgs 4 sets
fat grip shoulder press 40kg
tricep pushdowns and facepulls

Moved to a proper gym today one of the best gyms in the cpountry didnt even know it was here, proper warehouse gym :D

Did Deadlift: 165 x 3
leg press: the minimum weight bolted on there was something ridiculius like 220kg lol did 2 sets of like 8
pullups: 4 sets
curls with 17.5kg dumbbells 3 x 8
core set of weighted sit ups and 45 seconds plank

The families cat
01-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Yesterdays workout: Flat bench: 102.5kg x 3 x 2
incline db's. 35's 4 sets
Db shoulders: 22.5's 3 x 10, 25's x 10
tricep pushdowns
sit ups with a broken 20kg plate 2 x 10
plank 30seconds with plate on back and 30 seconds without for total 60 second plank

The families cat
01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
deload week

squats: 85kg 2 x 5
leg curls: 4 sets
gluteham raises
dumbbell rows 3 x 12 40kg
facepulls 3 sets pin 8
curls

The families cat
01-19-2012, 05:09 PM
done some damage to ligaments in my hamstring/knee with gluteham raises and played on wednesday which destroyed it, thankfully cos of good physios i still managed to play most ofgame.

also mashed up my wrist goin for a swigning arm and hitting lads elbow....

No leg training for a couple of week now.

Today:
Incline DB bench. 33kg dbs 4 x 12
lunges: 20kg 2 x 6
supine rows 3 x 10
tricep pushdowns50kg supersetted with hammer curls 15kg dumbbells 3 x 10

2 planks for 1 minute each

The families cat
01-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Friday: Shoulder press: 30kg dumbbells 4 x 8-10
Front raises
Lateral raises
Incline bench rear delt raises
Shrugs on smith machine

The families cat
01-24-2012, 08:42 PM
squat with a cold!: 127.5kg x3 then owner of gym i go jon bridgbe you porbbaly heard of him famous english bodybuilder came over and my me change way I squat to wide with my arms really wide and made me do a drop set with 100 x 6, 80x6

Gluteham raise: 3 sets
db rows 42.5kg dbs 4 x 6-8
ez bar curls
leg curls

The families cat
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
didnt feel great today and when i blew my nose i had blood in it all morning with the snot :/

anyway gym was basically maintenance session:

Bench: 100x5, , 105 x 3, 110 x fail
pullups/chinups: 4 sets
Shoulder press on hammer strength 3 sets
curls ez bar: 3 sets of8
gluteham raise 3 sets of 5-6

The families cat
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
box squat: 140 2 x3 :D finally 3 plate squat!!!
steps ups with 40kg 4 sets
romanian deadlifts 100kg
leg curls 4 sets

The families cat
02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Squat: 130 x 2, 140 x 1
Pullthroughs: 2 x 10
Db rows 4 sets 36kg dumbbells
dumbbell curls 16kg dbs 3x8
Barbell curls 3 x 8
Hammer curls 3 x 8
Concentration curls 3 x 10

The families cat
02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
yesterday: Bench 100 x 5
incline dumbbells 36kgs 4 x 8
shoulder dbs, 24's 3 x 10 or 8
dumbbell skullcrushers 3 x 10 with 12kg dumbbells
V ups with 4kg medicine ball 3 x 10

The families cat
02-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Deadlift day at the uni gym which or some absurd reason has people doing friday prayers in the room below the gym on a friday -.- thus was asked to not "bang" the weights when deadlifting which as u all know is impossible....

anyway...

Deadlift: 170 x 1was surpisingly strong on deadlift to say not deaded in ages.
Leg press: 160 3 x 10
fat grip pull ups x4
fat grip db curls 16kgs 2 x 8 and last set without i did 14 reps.
Loads of core

The families cat
02-21-2012, 07:17 AM
yesterday gym was rammed and could only get on bench so jus did big lift and left. Also split up with my bird so cant eat properly atm.

Bench: 102.5 x2

The families cat
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Saturday: Shoulders/triceps
Military press ramping 4x8 to 50kg x 8
db lateral raises 3 x 10 60 sec rest
upright rows 3 x 10 60 sec rest
Dips 4 x 8
skullcrushers decline 3 x 10
overhead extensions 3 x 10

today: chest and back
Incline bench ramping 4 x 8 to 70kg
flat db bench 4 x 8 36's
db flyes 3x10 60 sec rest 20kg's
Bent over row 4 x 8 to 80kg
pullups 3 sets 60 sec rest
seated rows 3 x 10 80kg 60 sec rest

The families cat
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
today: Flat bench: 80 x 8, 85 x 8, 90 x 6, 90 x 5
Incline Db's: 34's x 10, 32's 2 x 10
flat DB flyes: 18's 3 x 10

The families cat
03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Bent over row: 85kg x 8
Lat pulldowns: 90kg 3 x 10
Low seated rows: 3 x 10, 60kg
Barbell curls 42.5? x 8
hammer curls 14kg, 3 x 10

The families cat
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM
shoulders on wednesday:
Military press up to 52.5 x 8
lateral raises 3 x 10 12kg dbs
upright rows 3 x 10
dips up to 10kg db x 8
db overhead extensions 3 x 10 with 22kg db
tricep pushdowns 3 x 10

today: Legs
Squats: 100 x 8, 110 x 5,
leg press 120kg 3 x 10
leg curls 50kg 3 x 10

hammies feel pulled/ torn off the bone lol

The families cat
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Bench: 60 x 8, 70 x 8, 80 x 8, 90 x 6
Dips 3 x 10 60 sec rest
Cable crossovers 3 x 10 60 sec rest

The families cat
03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Deadlift: 100 x 8
120 x8
140 x 6
Pullups 3 x 10
Seated row 60kg 3 x 10
Barbell curl 4 x8
hammer curls 3 x 10 14kg dbs

The families cat
03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
yesterday:
Military press 55 x 8
side laterals 3 x 10
upright rows 40kg 3 x 10
dips x 8 with 12kg
skullcrushers 3 x10
db tricep extensions 3 x 10

today:
Bench 90 x 5
incline db's 3 x 10 32's
incline flyes 3 x 10 14kg db

The families cat
03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Back and bi:
Bent over row 60,70,80,90 x 8
Pullups 3 x 10 60 sec rest
Seated rows: 3 x 10 80kg 60 sec rest

Curls 4 x 8
Hammer curls 3 x 10 60 second rest 14kg dumbbells

The families cat
03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Military press: 35 x 8, 40 x 8, 47.5 x 8, 57.5 x 8
side laterals 2 x 10 14kg dbs, 1 x 10 12kg dbs
Upright rows 3 x 10 45kg

Dips: BW x 8, 5kg x 8, 10kg x 8, 15kg x 8
skullcrushers 3 x 10
Db overhead extensions 3 x10

The families cat
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Today Legs:
Squats 120 x 1, 130 x 1 injured back then
Lunges 3 x 10
Overhead squats 3 x 5
Romanian Deadlifts 80kg 3 x 10
Sideplank both sides and front 30s on each

The families cat
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Tuesday chest:
bench 90 x 8
incline DB's 3 x 10
Incline DB flyes 3 x 10

upper chest looking shit still though???

Thursday back and bis:
Bent over row 95kg x 8
3 x 10 pullups
3 x 10 seated rows 170lbs

Straight bar curls: 30kg x 8
35 x 8
35 x 8
35x8
hammer curls 3 x 10

The families cat
04-13-2012, 11:30 AM
today shoulders and tris:

Press: 55 x 8
lateral raises 3x10 home dbs
upright rows 3x10 40kg

dips 8xbw, 3x8 home db
skullcrushers 3x10
Ohdb extensions 3 x10

medicie ball crunches x10, twists x 16

The families cat
04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Changed to an upper/lower split now more athletically orientated.

Today: Incline bench press 4 x 8 70kg
Bent over row: 5 x 8 70kg
Flat dumbbell press: 4 x 8 36kg's
Db row 5 x 8 36kg's

Gunshow...Curls and rope pushdowns

1000m row as fast a spossible

Shinjin
04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
You're doing some rowing work on the erg?! Haha nice! How's that going/what do you think of it?

The families cat
04-20-2012, 02:34 PM
You're doing some rowing work on the erg?! Haha nice! How's that going/what do you think of it?

yer on one of them concept 2's? Makes me feel like chundering haha but good finisher to workouts!

Yesterday:
ShoulderPress supersetted with pullups: 50kg 3 x 8
Incline DB Press s/s with Db Row 32's on press, 36's on row. 4 sets of 8-10
2 sets of facepulls
Medicine ball twists

Today:
Deadlift built up to 150 x 3, forgot chalk :/
Front squats 3 x 8 with 70kg
Lunges 50kg 3 x 6e/leg
Leg curls 60kg 3 x 10

Medicine balls twists and leg raises supersetted

The families cat
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Today: Bench Press supersetted with pullups. 4 x 8 85kg
Incline DB Press supersetted with Db rows: 32's 4 x 8, 36's 4 x 8
Core work

The families cat
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Today:
Tag rugby game

Shoulder press s/s with pullups: 52.5kg 4 x 8
DB flat bench s/s Db row: 34's 4 x 8 36's 4 x 8
Medicine ball twists
Side bends
Bicycles
partner Leg raises

6intervall dallas test 30s on/ 30s recovery
10 minute HIT run on treadmill

The families cat
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Today:
Front squats: 75kg 4 x 6
Romanian deadlifts 4 x 6 100kg
Lunges: 52.5 3 x 6each leg
Leg curls 3 x 10

Dallas Test

The families cat
05-06-2012, 04:11 PM
flat bench: 92.5 x 6, 100 x 4
chin ups 2 x15
bent over row 70kg supersetted with rear delt flyes 3 x8
shrugs 80kg 3 x 10
fat grip curls 40kg 3 x8

The families cat
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Max effort lower:
squats 120 x 3
130 x 1

Lunges 3 x 6
Romanian Deadlifts 100 3 x 10

Repetition upper:
Incline Db's 34kg dbs 3 x max
Chin ups/rear delt flyes superset
Db SHoulder press 24's 3 x 10
Shurgs/ tricep pushdowns superset

The families cat
06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
not posted in a while cos ive been training sporadically with interfrence with goin on holiday and goin to a music festival. Pre season starts next week so ill be logging again now.

yesterday max effort workout:

Squat: 145 x 1
Bench: 110 x 2
rows 3 x 5 with 80kg supersetted with dumbbell romanian deadlifts
Rack of dumbbells curls
Skullcrushers and bridged medicine ball throws

today: agility work and core workout

The families cat
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Finally going to start writing my log again after a long Break, I've jus returned to training after been injured with a torn rotator cuff and a rhomboid thats stoped working (still making those work again) and I pulled my groin.

I've seen the light and started training with a 3 day Bodybuilding Split using higher volume and a 3 second down 3 second up tempo, made quality gains past 2 weeks using this method.

Today Legs:

High bar ATG tempo Squats: 80 4x8, 100x6, 80x8 drop set 60 x 10, 90 x 6
Romanian Deadlifts: 60 x8, 80x8, 100x8, 120 x 4, 80 x 8, 80 x8, 60 x 12
Hamstrings pendulums 1 x 8