PDA

View Full Version : Patrick's contest log

patrickmclaren
05-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Previously attempted to keep a log here, was very short-lived.

Am competing in my first natural bodybuilding competition on the 3rd of October 2010. So we're about 19 weeks out now.

I'll be doing a recomp most of the way through. The next 7 weeks (19-12) will have an emphasis on gaining mass then start to tighten things up at 12 weeks out, hopefully not coming in too quickly.

Height: 5'6
Weight: 147
BF: 12-13%

Squat: 308 x 5
Deadlift: 308 x 5
Bench: 154 x 8

patrickmclaren
05-11-2010, 07:40 AM
I started lifting August '09, ballooned up from 115 to 171lbs @ ~18%.
Since Feb I've come down to 147 @ 12-13%, which I am very happy with.

Then:
http://i44.tinypic.com/x3hj01.jpg

Now:
http://i40.tinypic.com/x6jwbb.jpg

At the moment diet is as follows:

Workout Days
Calories: 1868
Protein: 202.7g - 43%
Fat: 85.6g - 42%
Carbs: 71.8g - 15% (Primarily PWO)

Non-workout Days
Calories: 1214
Protein: 188.8g - 62%
Fat: 45.5g - 33%
Carbs: 12.5g - 5%

Keep in mind my weight and height when reading the calories.. :)

Awaiting my supplies from TrueProtein so I can get started on really growing.

Armedcor
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Good luck in the comp man. Wheels are looking good.

patrickmclaren
05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks a lot man. Definitely proud of my legs. Going to need to put in a lot of work getting my chest to catch up to everything else though.

Currently doing a deload for a week. Doing an hour's walk every day, planning a light whole body workout of 2/3 sets per bodypart twice before next week, 3 days apart. Getting 8+ hours of sleep. Have been browsing the 'Mind, Meditation, and Spirituality' section, really looking to ease the excess stress that my body has been under.

Texas Savage
05-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Ill second the nice legs, upper body has some work to do.

Sounds like youve got it all planned out, ill check in from time to time. Good luck.

patrickmclaren
05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Ill second the nice legs, upper body has some work to do.

Sounds like youve got it all planned out, ill check in from time to time. Good luck.

Cheers! Thanks for stopping by :)

Package from TrueProtein just arrived. Spent some time cleaning up the jugs, searching for scoops.

http://i44.tinypic.com/20k4nwn.jpg

Soy Protein
Waxy Maize
BCAAs
Betaine HCL
GABA

Had 10g out of 40g of BCAAs for today, don't taste that nice. Gonna buy some shot glasses at the shops later.
Had ~200mg HCL after previous meal.
~500mg GABA. Didn't think it would make me this sleepy!

patrickmclaren
05-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Had my first of two workouts during my deload. Did two sets per bodypart, they'll get 4 sets within the 7 day deload compared to 24 sets within a week.

Bench
2 x 5 120lbs (very weak, even for deload)

Military Press
2 x 8 90lbs

Reverse-grip Pushdown
1 x 8 110lbs
1 x 8 100lbs

Deadlift
2 x 5 265lbs

Barbell Curl
2 x 5 67lbs

Smith Squat
1 x 5 265lbs

Smith machine was annoying me, exactly why I never use it. So finished doing normal squats.

Squat
1 x 5 220lbs

Made all sorts of funny faces whilst sipping on my BCAA's. Wasn't too impressed with my Waxy Maize on the way home either.. Next time it's premium flavours all the way! :wallbash:

Moved onto next phase of diet. Now that I understand what's needed to keep my bf decreasing at a steady rate, I'm able to change my macronutrients around a bit. Increased protein to 1.5g/pound of bodyweight. Increased carbs a tad in PWO.

Calories: 1980 (343 surplus)
Protein: 233.6
Fat: 78.9
Carbs: 83.9

patrickmclaren
05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
So I sort of followed trouble's recommendations for gaba dosing here. Except I had it twice throughout the day at ~500mg and then 1g before bed.

Never more than 1 gram at a time; I use 1/4 tsp, 540mg at a time, in water, with magnesium and taurine.

I use it about 4 times a day, last time just before bed at night. I have used it more often, with no side effects. Its action is calming. Not be used just before a workout.

It boost GH, and its a powerful neurtalizing agent for excitotoxicity and has an unexpected impact on pancreatic insulin excess as well as potent moderator of stress effects on CNS. Outstanding when used post workout for recovery and as a sleep aide. Some will contend that it can be used in doses of 6 grams or more. They are idiots, pay them no mind.

Sorry I missed your post.

I had the best sleep I've ever had. Unbroken throughout the night and woke up refreshed. However, I still had trouble getting to sleep quickly. Lately it's been taking about an hour to get to sleep.

My mind is usually still racing when I get into bed, even after taking about half an hour or more to unwind before bed. Last night, my thoughts were dulled for a little bit but quickly crept back into action. I would then remind myself that I was there to sleep and tried to remove the thoughts from my head, which would work until I started to get closer to falling asleep at which point I would forget what that I was trying to fall asleep and start thinking again..

For tonight I'm planning a "thinking" period before bed, still with the lights on and not immediately prior to trying to sleep. I'll think everything through to the end, or at least the most prominent thoughts. Perhaps even just deciding on when will be a suitable time to resolve conflicting thoughts, and how that will happen. Hopefully this will allow me some easier rest.

patrickmclaren
05-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Did 45min fast paced treadmill walk. Had a ton of cooking to get done so cut it down from an hour walk.

Baked Turkey Breasts and Sweet Potato for the next few days. Diced and boiled tomorrows chicken.

Calories: 1210.3
Protein: 222.2g (1.49g/lb)
Fat: 32.7g
Carbs: 6.8g

Thinking about how to keep the flow of the day going smoothly, without stopping every 5 mins to take some GABA, Fibre, Vitamin C, Fish Oil, BCAA's, Multi V, HCL, Protein, blah blah blah. No point in "living" "healthy" if your methods force them to be mutually exclusive. Buying more shakers tomorrow and shot glasses, will be measuring everything out the night before so during the day there will be minimum break from routine. I'll have to take a photo of this in action, it'll sure to be a laugh at work.

Last full body workout of deload tomorrow. Then starting growing at full pace on the 17th! Who knows actually, should be growing quite a bit right now; Nutrition is spot on, rest should be more than adequate (need to vary this a bit more to be certain) and stretch marks are, once again stretching.

Ah, forgot creatine earlier.. Well better on to measuring that out too :shot:

AF muscle
05-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Good luck on your first show. I assume your entering the teen class and perhaps the novice?

patrickmclaren
05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks! Yes shall be entering the teen and novice class. There's also my weight class, but I've heard from a few people that when doing your first show you shouldn't enter in as many classes as possible?

I'm planning on watching one or two shows before mine in october, hopefully I'll understand the general format of the shows soon enough.

patrickmclaren
05-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Second and last workout for deload week. Felt good, it's given my body a nice recovery from the last 8-10 weeks of dieting down.

Bench
110 * 5
130 * 5
154 * 1

Military Press
90 * 8

Pushdowns
110 * 8
130 * 5

DB Rows
66 * 8

EZ Bar Curls
77 * 5
88 * 5

Leg Press
352 * 5
400 * 5

Don't mind the BCAA's taste anymore, didn't take long. Well, got a lot of things on my mind but gotta cook dinner now and get some study in. I'll do a big write up before bed, it's an easy way to wind down.

patrickmclaren
05-15-2010, 07:50 AM
So basically starting my career on monday. Software engineer at a small firm in the city. Shared office space at 10th level. Haha, some might wonder why I'm excited.

Thinking about getting a Flip MonoHD (http://www.theflip.com/en-au/products/specs.aspx), I have a few other things I'd like to record as well as workouts.

Have been watching Phil Heath The Gift: Unwrapped over the past few days. Not for the workouts, the diet or the drugs but just to see what's on his mind coming into contest. How he judges his performance throughout the ~12 weeks, etc.

Also a few things I've been noticing: When I intake less water it seems to result in better digestion. A few weeks ago I started making sure I didn't drink large amounts of water within half an hour either side of a meal (except breakfast). As soon as I was doing this regularly, my digestion seemed to be a lot more... stable. Combined with fibre, the difference was like night/day.

Also, since taking HCL with large meals this week I have noticed a reduction in bloating. Previously I would have a prominent 'bump' for most of the day. I'm now seeing details in mid section I have not seen for a while.

My stomach health has not been too great for a long time. Multiple trips to asia have resulted in severe Gastro. Had quite a lot of food poisoning back home too. It would be a rare not to be prescribed antibiotics and an excessive regime of antacids within a period longer than a few months. Coupled with what used to be a daily diet of 4+ cans of coke per day, lack of nutritional direction, I'm sure my stomach health was not optimal. Probably still isn't optimal, I'll have to have this checked next time I'm at the doctors.

Edit:

Calories: 1971.5 (356 surplus)
Protein: 231.3g
Fat: 81.9g
Carbs: 77.3g

patrickmclaren
05-17-2010, 07:45 AM
What a crazy day. New job in a new city. First morning commute in a train, no room to breathe, sandwiched against the door. Holy crap. This is all new to me, came from a country-ish town.

Meals were taken at first opportunity, so timing was all mixed up. Increased volume for most exercises today. Focusing the next 6 weeks of my recomp primarily on mass. Adding in some high calorie (+600 - 800) surpluses on certain workouts, trialling this for the next few weeks. If the fat comes on too quickly, I'll ditch the high calories days.

Shoulders & Back

Military Press
3 * 12 @ 88lbs
1 * 12 @ 82

Upright Row
4 * 12 @ 50lbs -- 2/4 rep timing. 2 seconds on the positive, 4 on the negative.

Rear Flyes
4 * 12 @ 12lbs

Assisted Pullups -- Haven't done pullups in a while
4 * 12 @ 35lbs assistance

Bent Over Rows
4 * 12 @ 88lbs

Deadlifts
4 * 12 @ 220lbs

Calories 2286 (671.99 Surplus)
Protein 236g
Fat 81.9g
Carbs: 150g

patrickmclaren
05-18-2010, 07:22 AM
19 weeks out. Had my dates one week early. 7 weeks less of recomp with mass emphasis.

Have really been working against the clock.. Still working out timetable with new job. Only got on the treadmill for 15mins today. Nowhere near enough, was aiming for an hour.

Calories 1210 (-404)
Protein 222g
Fat 32.7g
Carbs 6.8

Still around 12-13% bf. Legs & Triceps tomorrow, should be fun. Also some HIIT in the morning before work. Thinking about starting the warrior diet, would be a hell of a lot easier fitting it around other things.

Does anyone know what the nutritional breakdown of BCAAs is?

patrickmclaren
05-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Alarm didn't go off this morning so missed my time for HIIT before work. Had to do my cardio straight before my workout in the afternoon. Did 6 intervals of 40 seconds at max with 90 seconds low intensity between on the eliptical. Got up to about 21.2km/h (13 mph) haha. Was dead from HIIT, didn't attempt squats.

Triceps & Legs.

Close Grip Bench Press
4 * 12 @ 90lbs

V-Bar Pushdowns
4 * 12 @ 100lbs

DB Extensions (One Arm)
2 * 12 @ 22lbs
2 * 12 @ 16lbs

Leg Curl
4 * 12 @ 85lbs

Standing Calf Raise
4 * 12 @ 270lbs

Calories 1971 (356 Surplus)
Protein 231g
Fat 81g
Carbs 77g

patrickmclaren
05-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Couldn't find time to get onto my log for the past 3 days. But definitely still going full pace. Winter is just about here in Melbourne, first real winter this year since moving from the tropics.

Thursday 20th

1hr Treadmill walk. Also did 15mins in the morning to warm & wake up.

Calories 1224 (-390)
Protein: 221g
Fat: 36.8g
Carbs: ~1.7g

patrickmclaren
05-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Friday 21st May

Chest & Biceps

Decline Bench
4 x 12

Flat Bench
4 x 12 @ 110lbs

Flat Flyes
4 x 12 @ 27.5lbs

EZ-Bar Curls
2 x 12 @ 55lbs
1 x 12 @ 60lbs
1 x 12 @ 66lbs

Reverse Barbell Curl
4 x 12 @ 40lbs

Cable Preacher
2 x 12 @ 50lbs
1 x 12 @ 60lbs
1 x 12 @ 70lbs

patrickmclaren
05-22-2010, 05:27 AM
I'm not recovering well enough at the moment. I noticed far better performance during my deload week. Increased my reps for most exercises this week and weights and progress have just dropped on nearly all exercises. So shall be making a few adjustments to my routine.

Workouts will be every 3 days. Followed by a Recovery day, then a fat-loss oriented day.

Workouts (Same as current)
2 Body Parts
1 Major lift per bodypart
2 Supplementary exercises

Recovery Day
~ 8.5 - 9hrs sleep
30 mins treadmill walk
Slightly lower than maintenance calories

Fat Loss
30 mins treadmill walk
~-400/450 calorie deficit
Evening HIIT