PDA

View Full Version : let them hate, as long as they fear

burce
03-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I've contemplated throwing one of these together for a while. I'm just going to use it to keep track of what I'm doing in the gym since I don't like logging it in my new phone. I just turned 19 years old about 2 months ago, am 6'1" 198lbs at around 14-16% bf (I don't like this...) Haven't tested my 1RM in a while, but probably will soon. Heaviest 1RM I've hit for bench/squat/dead are 250/315/350. Heaviest lifts for the last month or so are: squat- 245x20, bench 210x3,x3,x5, deadlift 335x5,x5,x4. Working on M/W/F and will be doing low intensity elliptical 2x a week on off days. Here are my workouts for the last few weeks on the SPBR:

Deadlift 325x3x5 PR
Leg press 3plates+25x2x10
Chins bw+25x4x6
Curls 75x3x8

3/19
Bench 205x4,x3,x3
Incline db bench 70x8,x8,x8,x6
Db shoulder press 55x3x6
Skulls 75x3x8

3/22/10
Squat 245x3x5
GMs 135x3x10
Bb rows 155x4x6PR
Curls 80x5x8

3/24/10
Incline bench 200x5,x6 PR
FUUUUUUUU (everyone got kicked out for some dumb womans training class)

3/26
Deadlift 335x5,x5,x4 PR
Leg press 3p+30 x2x10 PR
Chins +25lbs 4x6
Curls 85x8x7x7

3/29/10
Bench 210x3,x3,x5 PR
Db incline 70x8,x8,x8,x7
Db shoulder press 60x5,x6,x5 PR

I really want to hit a 405 deadlift soon. I'm not sure when I should attempt it so any advice on this is welcome.

Short term goals: 275 bench, 405 deadlift *DONE 4/5/10 - new goal 455x1*, 315 squat like I have before (the squat I mean)
Long term goal: Strength/IA verified

Right now I'm contemplating what to do with my diet. I was 193lbs a couple weeks ago and hit 198lbs tonight. I've never been this heavy so it's strange to me. I know I didn't gain 5lbs of fat in 2 weeks so I'm hoping this was a period of mass gain following my recent gains in strength and that a good amount of it is muscle.

Supps I am currently taking (all true protein minus the multi):
NOW Adam multi
WPC/WPI blend
fish oil 8-12g a day
creatine monohydrate
taurine
beta alanine
BCAAs intra workout and cardio

Goal is to get stronger and not turn into a fatass. All questions/comments/criticism/OT discussions/whatever welcome

burce
03-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Really not looking forward to cardio. I honestly hate doing it.

I miss being in high school since I would have 3.5 months of intense cardio during football pre/regular/post season. I would shed bf and wouldn't have to worry about cutting or cardio for the rest of the year

vamshi
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Just lie to yourself that cardio is too fun.

slyfox115
03-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Cardio can be more strength oriented if you have some area to work with. Get a prowler, a sledhammer, a truck tire, a kettlebell, or a sandbag. Do some higher rep cleans, or do some hill sprints. LI cardio is boring I agree, so kick it up a notch but make sure you take note of how your workouts are doing.

After reading alot of Tate's and Wendler's stuff, I agree in the fact that going in certain training PHASES has worked best for me. If you want to lose some fat, then get your diet in check and work on your conditioning. This doesnt mean puss out on the weights, but know in your mind that conditioning is your goal right now so focus on that. Check out my log, which has basically been a conditioning phase of one of the big three lifts, followed by one accessory exercise, then conditioning. It will be this way until I am satisfied with my conditioning level.

When you are satisfied with how your body composition is, then go into a strength phase.

burce
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Cardio can be more strength oriented if you have some area to work with. Get a prowler, a sledhammer, a truck tire, a kettlebell, or a sandbag. Do some higher rep cleans, or do some hill sprints. LI cardio is boring I agree, so kick it up a notch but make sure you take note of how your workouts are doing.

After reading alot of Tate's and Wendler's stuff, I agree in the fact that going in certain training PHASES has worked best for me. If you want to lose some fat, then get your diet in check and work on your conditioning. This doesnt mean puss out on the weights, but know in your mind that conditioning is your goal right now so focus on that. Check out my log, which has basically been a conditioning phase of one of the big three lifts, followed by one accessory exercise, then conditioning. It will be this way until I am satisfied with my conditioning level.

When you are satisfied with how your body composition is, then go into a strength phase.
Thanks for the advice, Sly. I do have a huge field on campus I could do that type of stuff in, but nowhere to keep a sled/weights until next year when I move into a house right off campus. I definitely want to buy a sled then, so I'm hoping strength and power (I think thats his name?) has some deals going on when I decide to buy one.

Tonight I did 30min of low intensity elliptical at 9-12 resistance, 16 incline or whatever it was called. Burned 380 cals. Sipped 30g BCAAs throughout the 30 min. Actually I think I'd be more inclined to call it medium intensity. I feel like almost 400 cals in 30 min would be considered a lot for low intensity. I was sweating pretty hard :D

Since I am new to cardio, I am unsure what I should be doing in terms of post cardio nutrition....I am leaning towards a recomp, and am not sure how many carbs I should be consuming here and what kind. On workout days, post workout I typically either have oats in a whey protein shake or cereal followed by whey. Any ideas for post low intensity cardio?

I'll do some board searching now

burce
03-30-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm also unsure whether about 400 cals is too much to burn during a recomp. I think I'm going to sign up to RedPoint again to get my recomp diet in check and get some answers about my cardio questions since is the first time I'm going to be consistently doing both cardio/lifting and recomping. I'm going to do this either way, so if you can help me out with answers you won't be causing me to not sign up with RP.

slyfox115
03-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Post LI cardio shouldn't have a "special meal" after, like a lifting session. Sipping on the BCAAs will be enough. You really don't burn enough glycogen to warrant some carbs after. If it was HIIT then I would say its justified.

burce
03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Post LI cardio shouldn't have a "special meal" after, like a lifting session. Sipping on the BCAAs will be enough. You really don't burn enough glycogen to warrant some carbs after. If it was HIIT then I would say its justified.

Thanks again, Sly.

burce
03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
3/31/10

squat - 265x3x3
good mornings - 140x10 155x8
barbell rows - 160x4x6
db curls - 40x2x8

I had to cut out a set of GMs and a set of curls due to time constraints. My legs didn't feel fresh and I'm assuming that's from the cardio yesterday and I'll get used to it.

I have had a problem for the last few years and don't want to spend the money going back to a sports doctor about it. I have muscle imbalances and can feel them when doing squats/deads/GMs/pull thrus etc. My right spinal erector seems to get worked a lot more during these exercises. I think it has to do with glute activation or hip rotation but I really don't know. I refuse to stop squatting and DLing as I had to do that for half a year due to injuries a couple years ago. Any comments on this problem?

Signed up for Redpoint to get my diet in check, and am recomping now. I hate how I look and am looking forward to changing that. I am going to lean mass when I get to a desired composition

vamshi
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
3/31/10

squat - 265x3x3
good mornings - 140x10 155x8
barbell rows - 160x4x6
db curls - 40x2x8

I had to cut out a set of GMs and a set of curls due to time constraints. My legs didn't feel fresh and I'm assuming that's from the cardio yesterday and I'll get used to it.

I have had a problem for the last few years and don't want to spend the money going back to a sports doctor about it. I have muscle imbalances and can feel them when doing squats/deads/GMs/pull thrus etc. My right spinal erector seems to get worked a lot more during these exercises. I think it has to do with glute activation or hip rotation but I really don't know. I refuse to stop squatting and DLing as I had to do that for half a year due to injuries a couple years ago. Any comments on this problem?

Signed up for Redpoint to get my diet in check, and am recomping now. I hate how I look and am looking forward to changing that. I am going to lean mass when I get to a desired composition

good work on those squats despite slight cardio fatigue.

burce
03-31-2010, 11:57 PM
good work on those squats despite slight cardio fatigue.

Thanks bud. My legs are pretty big but my squat really isn't anything great :( Injuries and this muscle issue have plagued me over the years

burce
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I was really busy with studying and exams today, so I didn't do any cardio. I also had some intense carb cravings watching my friend eat mashed potatoes and chick fil a fries

I'll probably do cardio sunday to make up for today but I'm not sure yet

burce
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
About to go lift, feeling a little tired. I really need to fix my sleep cycle, I constantly go to bed around 2-4am and either have to wake up early or sleep until 1-2pm it's awful. I woke up about an hour ago and have only gotten a liter of water down. I'm interested to see how my lifts are today after being on a recomp for a few days and not being properly hydrated at the moment. Will update when I return

burce
04-02-2010, 03:04 PM
4/2

incline bench - 205x3x5 PR
flat db bench - 75x8,x8,x6,x6
db shoulder press - 60x6,x5,x5
tricep pushdowns - 150x8,145x7 140x7

good workout in terms of the incline bench, but everything else kinda sucked. I used to flat db bench 80's and now I am struggling with 75's even when I barbell bench quite a bit more.

Looking forward to repping 225 soon on flat barbell. I'm also contemplating going for a 405 dead on monday. Any opinions? Last dead session was 335x3x5

burce
04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Had a ny strip and london broil with green beans + butter for lunch. Damn I love going to the 1# school in the country for campus food :cool:

burce
04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm really starting to dislike drinking. It always ends up with me fighting with my girlfriend and waking up feeling like shit. No real benefit of it besides a night of fun, but I can do that without alcohol. I'm going to try to cut it down to once a week at most

burce
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I just realized today that my arms have grown .5" in the last couple of weeks. I'm assuming this is one of the places that gained mass when my weight went up. Nice :cool:

I know this sounds like a total beginner thing to say, but I am going to be doing 5 sets of curls and tricep work instead of 3. So 5x8 instead of 3x8. I have found the higher volume stimulates growth in my arms.

burce
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Thinking about going for a 4 plate deadlift tonight.....

burce
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Got that 4 plate deadlift I wanted.

4/5

5min elliptical
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
415x fail

bw: 197lbs

Used a alt grip and my left hand started slipping so at lockout the bar was kind of uneven, but it was a lockout none the less. Maybe that's why I'm not satisfied, because it wasn't perfect ha
Strangely not satisfied.

burce
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm having trouble getting in enough cals on the recomp diet. I live on campus and buying all of this chicken and meat from the dining halls is adding up to a lot of money per day. I need to go to costco or something and get some chicken.

burce
04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
My day has been very hectic and I am extremely busy all night and won't be able to do cardio. I would really like to do it since I was in this same position last thursday, but I really don't have the time.

burce
04-08-2010, 07:36 PM
didn't lift yesterday due to an exam and time constraints again

4/8

bench - 215x3,x3,x4 PR
incline db bench - 70x4x8
shoulder press - 60x3x6PR
skulls - 80x3x8

Solid workout. That last rep of bench on the third set was intense. The dude spotting me was pretty huge and I could hear him yelling at me to get it through my loud music haha he was pumped I got it. Nice guy, he'd be a great liting partner if my lifts were 100lbs more....

Can't wait to get to repping 225! I'm so close!

burce
04-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Went to james madison university this weekend for their springfest/block party. was absolutely INSANE.

saturday was "block party" and there were 8000 kids in this one stretch of apartments and it was crazy. riot police came, shot tear gas, pepper spray, pepper balls from paintball guns....had riot shields, insense helmets and face sheilds, etc. Hundreds and hundreds of beer bottles were thrown everywhere and at police, dumpsters were set on fire...

luckilyi was safe and didn't get in trouble or tear gassed. everyone could see the riot police coming down the road as they pushed the crowds back, so if you threw shit at them and didn't get out in time and got arrested it was your own damn fault for being a dumbass.

burce
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
4/12

squat 265x3x3
GMs 150x3x10 PR
kroc rows 100x2x15
db curls 40x8

wanted to try kroc rows, but didnt really know how to work up to them so I grabbed a 100lb dumbbell and did 15 each side. felt too easy so I just did another set for each arm. I'll try 115's next time. but WOW those are intense! i loved it/hated it at the same time haha

burce
04-12-2010, 07:47 PM
You lurkers should post here haha, I'm lonely

While I was doing GMs, these two big guys were staring at me with a "wtf" look on their faces. I figure they have no idea what GMs are and thought I was trying to squat :D

DOA
04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
What does your stance look like for squats? because your legs are alot bigger than you squat would make me think they are lol

burce
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
What does your stance look like for squats? because your legs are alot bigger than you squat would make me think they are lol

Man I know, it sucks. I have huge legs but shit for strength. I usually have a stance slightly wider than shoulder width, but today I had it a bit wider. I hate how my squat is my worst lift but my quads/hammies are my best muscles

LudiWithKnives
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
wow your upper body weights are awesome but squats compared to them for your bw is low but your legs are huge too LOL weird shit

DOA
04-12-2010, 08:07 PM
What type of diet are you doing as I see you don't like your current bodyfat levels?

burce
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
What type of diet are you doing as I see you don't like your current bodyfat levels?

This week is the third week of my recomp. Sat/sun are my carb refeed days.

burce
04-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Man my arms and back already feel so sore from today's workout. Can't wait for tomorrow morning haha

burce
04-13-2010, 02:37 AM
off topic but heres a short vid of part of the riot I saw go down this past weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wexfpL9yuII

burce
04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
WOW my arms, back and rear delts are screaming today from those kroc rows

burce
04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I even need to do cardio if I am eating below maintenance. This may be an idiotic thought...I really know nothing about cardio or fat loss as I've never cut before or done a recomp

burce
04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I am still really sore from those kroc rows, so I'm not sure what I'm doing to do today about my incline bench workout. I may do cardio and lift tomorrow and friday

burce
04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
first not so great workout

4/15

incline bench - 210x5,x5,x3(then two more reps with the spotter barelyyy helping)
flat db bench - 75x8,x7,x5 (wtf?)
db shoulder press - 60x6,x6,x5
tricep pushdowns - 145x8,x7, 140x8

Not sure if it was the extra day off, lack of sleep a night ago, soreness from the kroc rows on monday(still!!!) or what. Maybe I should deload....I'm really trying to get 225x3 or 225x5 on flat bench before may 12 when I go back home so I hope a deload doesn't set me back

burce
04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm going to lift normally this upcoming week and judge whether I should deload depending on how my workouts go. I am unsure about this recomp. It's real tough on thursday/friday, which is annoying but nothing I can't fight through. I'm just not sure if I am progressing how I want. Since a change in appearance takes longer on a recomp, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or just spinning my wheels since counting calories at school is difficult and I'm not exact every day.

If I decide to stop the recomp I'm definitely going to eat as clean as possible and will have a carb cutoff every day.

It's a tough call though, because I want to lose some of my bodyfat, but know I don't have a ton of muscle mass so I'd just be too skinny if I did.

Hmm....maybe I'll post a picture and see what yall think

DOA
04-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I am doing a 1/2 day TCD just o make life a little easier for me. Plus I do not need to get super lean for anything so why should i stress out. I am also eating more and letting cardio create the deficit, because.... I like food lol

burce
04-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I am doing a 1/2 day TCD just o make life a little easier for me. Plus I do not need to get super lean for anything so why should i stress out. I am also eating more and letting cardio create the deficit, because.... I like food lol

Yeah that's definitely another option. I feel like I'd be able to do a full TCD when home for the summer, but at school it's just much too difficult....and expensive.

DOA
04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
http://ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17538

This is the ranking of the fat loss diets

http://ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2717

This shows the other options if a full TCD is inconvenient for you.

burce
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks for the info X

4/19

deadlift - 355x3x3PR
leg press - 3 plates + 35lbs x2x10PR
chins - bw+25lbs x4x6
db curls - 40x8 35x8

not terrible. took a vid of my second deadlift set and my back wasn't as rounded as I thought it was. my last set it definitely rounded though.

starting a half day tcd once I read up on it more

burce
04-21-2010, 07:01 PM
4/21

flat bench - 220x3x3 PR
incline db bench - 70x8,x8,x8,x10
db shoulder press - 60x6,x6,x5
tricep pushdowns - 145x8,x8, 140x8

decent workout. there was this trainer there today, probably a junior or senior, who was HOT AS FUCK. I hate fucking around in the gym and not focusing, but I could not stop looking over at this girl....her abnormally short shorts didnt help my cause...funny thing is i've seen this girl a couple times around campus and she's held eye contact/smiled. if I was single I would love to try to escalate it. oh well, i'm happy with my girlfriend

burce
04-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Definitely going back to a full TCD. After a couple days of carbing up again I realized I really want to lose some fat. And if I'm getting stronger while doing it I figure I'm doing it right.

Next year I'm getting a sled most likely, since I'll have a house and a place to keep it. Pretty excited about that, I love sled dragging

DOA
04-21-2010, 07:15 PM
you don't like the 1/2 day TCD?

burce
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
you don't like the 1/2 day TCD?

I feel I would see faster fat loss on a full TCD, but I may be wrong since I am pretty inexperienced in dieting this way in general. The full TCD will get easy soon since I'll be home for the summer

burce
04-23-2010, 02:55 PM
4/23

squat - 255x1, 225x4,x5, 155x8
GMs - 155x2x8
kroc rows - 85x15, 105x15 PR

I really don't know what to do about my squat. I really hate how weak I am at the lift. Today I decided to change my stance to much wider so I incorporate my hips/glutes more, but I lost a lot of strength in this position. I dropped the weight to get the form down and to make sure I was keeping my knees out.

This is the only lift that I am not making good progress in. My dead and bench have shot up as well as my row, but my squat is awful and is going nowhere and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? The only things I am thinking is to go to 8+ reps since I haven't done over 5 rep sets for a long period of time in a loooong time. The lower reps obviously arent working....

Bad workout overall, I had a terrible nutritional day yesterday so I'm sure that contributed to it.

burce
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
My motivation to lift is really high but my motivation to stick to a diet for more than 2 weeks is pretty low. I need to start being more dedicated, because I really want to get leaner but am lacking the motivation. I never have this problem with lifting and getting stronger/bigger, just doing cardio/eating right

burce
04-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Holy shit gyros are absolutely amazing!!!

vamshi
04-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Just look at Saraigh's pic from when he lost fat with IA. That pic is enough to keep me motivated for anything.

burce
04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
4/26

incline bench - 210x5,x5,x4 PR (then one more with a tiny amount of help from the spotter)
db bench - 75x8,x7,x5 again....wtf
db shoulder press - 60x6,x7,x6
tricep pushdowns - 145x12,x12,x8

meh, going to deload next week. i'll end on a good note and hit 225x3x3 on the flat bench

burce
04-28-2010, 08:33 PM
4/28

deadlift - 360x3x3 PR
lat pulldowns - 180x4x6 PR
db curls - 40x8, 35x2x8

skipped leg press due to time constraints and some skinny kids doing calf raises on the machine. definitely felt my back round moderately on the last rep of each set of deads

burce
04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
TERRIBLE workout

4/30

flat bench - 225x2 (help on third rep),x1 (help on second rep)
incline db bench - 75x3x8,x5
db shoulder press - 60x5

didn't get to my goal of 225x3x3 on flat bench. felt weak. possibly was psyched out by having two plates on for the first time since I maxed at 250. on the last rep of incline db bench I was pushing really hard and strained something in my neck, and it hurts like shit whenever I turn my head. then I did db shoulder and barely got 5, my neck hurt and I got pissed and said fuck this I'm leaving

bad attitude I know. I probably wouldn't have left if I didn't hurt my neck.

deloading next week.

AOIJSDAOSIJDAOISDJ

DOA
04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
We are just stronger some days than other don't let it get to you :)

burce
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
We are just stronger some days than other don't let it get to you :)

Yeah, I just wanted to end on a good note before a deload. Oh well, I'll come back stronger hopefully.

mr blink
04-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Solid benching man.

Stop by my log from time to time?

burce
05-03-2010, 06:33 PM
5/3

I did cardio on the elliptical for 20min, burned 300cals and sweated about 10 liters of water out :D

I was at a pretty good incline and resistance, and I went pretty hard non stop the entire time. I'd call it high intensity because it WAS intense as shit and really tough, but I didn't do any intervals. I feel awesome right now, and really motivated to start studying for finals haha. I guess it's just the endorphins ha

I'm deloading this week so I'm going to do cardio M/W/F and lift T/Th

Solid benching man.

Stop by my log from time to time?

Thanks man, I'll stop by every once in a while

mr blink
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Finals week is terrible indeed.

burce
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM
deloading is boring as shit....

5/4

incline bench - 155x3x3
flat db bench - 45x4x8
db shoulder press - 35x3x6
tricep pushdowns - 90x3x8

SO DAMN BORING AND EASY!!!

burce
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Another reason why a deload was a good idea this week: stress from finals.

At least my body will be recovering

burce
05-05-2010, 06:42 PM
5/5

30min medium-high intensity elliptical, incline at 8, resistance at 10. burned 400cals, heart rate got up to 196 and was definitely above 170 for the last 20-25min.

is this heart rate too high? I feel like 196 is a really high number and I'm not sure what that means...I haven't done cardio since my senior year football season (august-december 08), so does it just mean I'm really out of shape?

I had thought I burned 400 cals on monday, but now that I look it was 300. Oh well

Solid session

burce
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
5/6

squat 185x2x3
chins - 3x6

staying with the wide stance for the squats. felt much better this time, especially since I stretched a lot after cardio last night. Skipped GMs since I didn't cut the weight as much as I should have for squats and only dropped one set. I realized after my first set of chins I was supposed to do rows but said fuck it and kept going.

burce
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Awesome cheat meal at buffalo wild wings. 6 spicy garlic 6 honey bbq 6 asian zing all boneless plus fries. Gotta love 50 cent boneless night haha

mr blink
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
How wide is your stance on squats? Is it powerlifter style or slightly wider than shoulder width?

DOA
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
What state are you in? Me and my parents came down to pensylvania last summer and me and my dad tried a buffalo wild wings and I loved it. We have many good wing places in Canada, we have a place just simply called wild wing and it's got some wacky flavors.

burce
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
How wide is your stance on squats? Is it powerlifter style or slightly wider than shoulder width?
I'm not really sure but I'd call it more than "slightly" wider than shoulder width. It's probably power lifter width maybe a tad closer.

What state are you in? Me and my parents came down to pensylvania last summer and me and my dad tried a buffalo wild wings and I loved it. We have many good wing places in Canada, we have a place just simply called wild wing and it's got some wacky flavors.

I go to school in virginia, which is where I am now until the 11th. I think CT has them too which is where my family lives but I'm not sure.

mr blink
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm not really sure but I'd call it more than "slightly" wider than shoulder width. It's probably power lifter width maybe a tad closer.

Ok. Im trying to fix my stance from the Rippetoe style as i get back pain everytime from it. And, the sticky on fixing squat is pretty convincing.

burce
05-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Ok. Im trying to fix my stance from the Rippetoe style as i get back pain everytime from it. And, the sticky on fixing squat is pretty convincing.

Theres a pdf by Wendler called cleaning up the squat. if that's what you're referring to, it's a great read.

mr blink
05-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Theres a pdf by Wendler called cleaning up the squat. if that's what you're referring to, it's a great read.

Thats the one im talking about.

burce
05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I also stopped using creatine for the week.

Thats the one im talking about.

Nice. Yeah my weights went way down with the wide stance but I think it'll be better in the long run.

burce
05-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Just weighed myself at 194lbs. I have some expensive scale my gf bought me, and I know it's not a good way to measure bodyfat but at least it gives me an idea of any loss/gain since it's been consistent (and I think the actual numbers are decently accurate to be honest).

I was at 16% a couple weeks ago and it just said I was at 15.1%

I know I'm eating below maintenance (too expensive and difficult to eat at or above at school especially recomping), and I'm burning 300-400cals per elliptical session.

I hope I can come back next week and keep gaining strength despite these facts.

burce
05-07-2010, 01:11 AM
couple pics from a week or two ago. I still have decent vascularity even at me bf (15-16?). Yes I know I have zero chest. Sorry for the sideways pic :D

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3630/20100426185341.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3302/progressj.jpg

Thoughts? comments?

burce
05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm STARVING but I must do cardio!!!

burce
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
5/7

20min elliptical burned 300cals

30g BCAAs sipped throughout the workout

burce
05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm getting tired of this whey and these flavors (which are almost done with).

Next order will be MPI again since it's awesome. Chocolate coconut and chocolate banana most likely. Anyone have experience with MPI in either flavors? They're good in whey so I figure they will be in MPI too

burce
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm sitting here studying for biology which is terrible, yet I am in a great mood (despite the studying and three exams on mon-tues). Thanks coffee and good music :D

I'm itching to lift heavy things again...

burce
05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
WOW just took a shower alternating between hot and ice cold water and it was AWESOME. so refreshing, I am very awake right now! Check this out:

Benefits of Cold Water Showers

While doctors may no longer instruct their patients to take a cold bath and call them in the morning, a shot of cold water can still impart real health benefits:

Improves circulation. Good blood circulation is vital for overall cardiovascular health. Healthy blood circulation also speeds up recovery time from strenuous exercises and work. Alternating between hot and cold water while you shower is an easy way to improve your circulation. Cold water causes your blood to move to your organs to keep them warm. Warm water reverses the effect by causing the blood to move towards the surface of the skin. Cold shower proponents argue that stimulating the circulatory system in this way keeps them healthier and younger looking than their hot water-loving counterparts.

Relieves depression. Lots of great men from history suffered bouts of depression. Henry David Thoreau is one such man. But perhaps Thoreau’s baths in chilly Walden Pond helped keep his black dog at bay. Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine indicates that short cold showers may stimulate the brain’s “blue spot”- the brain’s primary source of noradrenaline — a chemical that could help mitigate depression. I guess a bout of the blues isn’t so bad after all.

Keeps skin and hair healthy. Hot water dries out skin and hair. If you want to avoid an irritating itch and ashy elbows, turn down the temperature of your showers. Also, cold water can make your manly mane look shinier and your skin look healthier by closing up your cuticles and pores.

Strengthens immunity. According to a study done in 1993 by the Thrombosis Research Institute in England, individuals who took daily cold showers saw an increase in the number of virus fighting white blood cells compared to individuals who took hot showers. Researchers believe that the increased metabolic rate, which results from the body’s attempt to warm itself up, activates the immune system and releases more white blood cells in response.

Increases testosterone. During the 19th century, many doctors and ministers recommended that young men take baths in cold water to reduce the sin of “self-pollution,” i.e. whacking off. Cold water was thought to extinguish a man’s flaming carnal desires. There was even a ghastly device invented on this principle.

How wrong they were! The same study by the Thrombosis Research Institute cited above showed that cold water showers actually increase testosterone production in men. Increased testosterone levels not only boost a man’s libido, but also his overall strength and energy level. If you’re looking to increase your testosterone, instead of juicing up like Mark McGwire, hop into a cold shower.

Increases fertility. Trying to become a dad? Cold showers are good for your little swimmers. Your testes aren’t meant to get too hot; that’s why they hang outside your body. Sperm counts decrease when the temperature of a man’s testes increases. Experiments done in the 1950s showed that hot baths were an effective contraceptive. Men who took a 30 minute hot bath every other day for 3 weeks were infertile for the next six months. More recently, the University of California at San Francisco did a study with men who were exposed to 30 minutes of “wet heat” (hot baths and such) a week. When the men cut this exposure out, their sperm count went up by 491%, and their sperm’s motility improved as well. While switching from a hot to cold shower may not have as dramatic an effect, if you’re trying to create some progeny, it surely won’t hurt.

Increases energy and well-being. Every time I end a shower with cold water, I leave feeling invigorated and energized. Your heart starts pumping, and the rush of blood through your body helps shake off the lethargy of the previous night’s sleep. For me, the spike in energy lasts several hours. It’s almost like drinking a can of Diet Mountain Dew, minus the aspartame. And while it hasn’t been studied, many people swear that cold showers are a surefire stress reducer. I’m a believer.
Getting Started with Cold Water Showers

If you’ve spent most of your life taking hot showers, suddenly turning the dial in the other direction can be a big shock to the system. I took a break from the James Bond Showers for a few months. When I decided to get started again with them, my heart almost jumped out of my chest, and I nearly passed out from hyperventilating when the cold water hit my body. Too much, too soon.

My suggestion (based on personal experience) is to gradually decrease the temp of the water so your body can adjust.

Which reminds me, some people with certain conditions should avoid cold showers because of the shock to the body’s system. If you have the following conditions, you’ll have to harness your inner 007 another way:

* Heart disease. If my normal, healthy heart felt like it was about to explode, imagine how a diseased heart will feel.
* High blood pressure. The contraction in your blood vessels caused by cold water could cause a stroke. Apparently.
* Overheated or feverish. Your blood vessels need to dilate in order to release heat. Cold water causes them to constrict.

Okay. If you’re healthy enough for a James Bond Shower, here’s how it’s done.

1. Start off with the hot water.

2. Wash your hair with some Pinaud Elixir shampoo, just like 007.

3. When you’re ready to rinse, just turn it down to cold. Bond would spend a few minutes under the cold water, meditating about a lost love or on how awesome his job is.

4. As you walk out the shower, kill the hitman that’s been hiding in the closet using nothing but a towel and a Scotch tumbler.

5. Say a pithy one liner; proceed to put on tux.

You’ll start seeing the benefits right after the first shower, and it only gets better as you continue. While cold water showers won’t give you the charm or skills of 007, you’ll feel like a new man.

burce
05-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Just got back to CT from school, which is awesome. Got a 98 on my chemistry final, and a 92 on biology, giving me A's in the classes. Still awaiting calc grades, but could end up with a 3.95 GPA for the semester, which I am pumped about, especially with a difficult major.

Didn't have time to sacrifice for lifting or cardio today or yesterday due to finals and 11 hours of driving, but will continue lifting tomorrow as well as continue creatine supplementation.

burce
05-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Bad fallout for me in terms of lifting haha I didn't expect to take another week off/deload again but it just happened. My diet has also been terrible. I am going to have a rough time getting back into the swing of things....

Unfortunately I cut my finger today pretty badly and got four sutures put in by my girlfriends neighbor (surgeon :D)

I was going to go back to lifting hard tomorrow at my new gym but I'm being told that's not the greatest idea since I just got stitched up :(

burce
05-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Bought bulk chicken breast, veggies, etc and will be cooking a lot this weekend to get food ready for the upcoming week.

I realize inconsistency is my killer. I always have great progress then take a week or two off because of laziness or stress or being really busy and it fucks me. No more.

Gonna do big things, trust me.

burce
05-28-2010, 05:58 PM
didn't record my workouts this week because they're awful coming back from a month off

at least the ball is rolling again

burce
06-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Landscaping has finally died down, so I'm back in business.

I'm pumped my new gym has an olympic mat, can't wait to do deads on wednesday.

I probably won't log my workouts this week as they are shitty and I'm just adjusting my weights to work back up to what I was at before (I lost a ton of strength over the last month)

Back on the recomp, which is gonna be easy considering I can actually cook at home now. New favorite bulking food: bison. Pretty expensive though.

Lets do this

DOA
06-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Sup dude how you've been? Glad to have you back.

burce
06-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Sup dude how you've been? Glad to have you back.

I've been pretty good man just working a lot. I'm disappointed in myself for slacking the last month but I'm feelin good again and am getting back into the rhythm.

What about you? Nice progress man your lifts are really goin up

burce
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I am depressed at how weak I have become over the last month

burce
06-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Got Principles of Fat Loss today

Hell. Yes.

burce
06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Principles of Fat Loss is an AMAZING book. Definitely recommend it. So much valuable information, and some of it can be applied to massing with the correct tweaks.

I started doing box squats again, on a box where I am going about an inch or two below parallel

vamshi
08-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Yo man, i hope you are still around.

burce
11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm back lifting again, and am going to start logging my workouts again soon so keep an eye out.

Just got 5lbs of nutrex muscle infusion underground protein and four samples of other nutrex underground products for $8

Oh yeah :cool:

PumaKrieg
11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Just got back to CT from school, which is awesome. Got a 98 on my chemistry final, and a 92 on biology, giving me A's in the classes. Still awaiting calc grades, but could end up with a 3.95 GPA for the semester, which I am pumped about, especially with a difficult major.

Didn't have time to sacrifice for lifting or cardio today or yesterday due to finals and 11 hours of driving, but will continue lifting tomorrow as well as continue creatine supplementation.

major?

burce
11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
major?

biochem

ochem and physics are destroying me this semester, but microbio isnt too bad

vamshi
11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Same bro.

OChem is hard as hell. Probably going to retake it next semester.

lucidity0101
11-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Word of advice... read the Orgo textbook and cherish it as the most important text you've ever read. If you're somewhat interested in Chemistry or Biochemistry it is the gateway to understanding major principles. I got an A in Orgo 1, jerked around in Orgo 2, got an A-. Now I'm in BioCHM. My biggest regret in my academic life is fucking up Orgo 2 (despite the actual GPA hit; the class was easy, I learned nothing). Don't retake, just pull the fuck through. This is like lifting dude, and you need to pull through and challenge yourself.

burce
11-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Word of advice... read the Orgo textbook and cherish it as the most important text you've ever read. If you're somewhat interested in Chemistry or Biochemistry it is the gateway to understanding major principles. I got an A in Orgo 1, jerked around in Orgo 2, got an A-. Now I'm in BioCHM. My biggest regret in my academic life is fucking up Orgo 2 (despite the actual GPA hit; the class was easy, I learned nothing). Don't retake, just pull the fuck through. This is like lifting dude, and you need to pull through and challenge yourself.
How is biochem lecture compared with ochem lecture? I've heard it's a lot harder. That sucks because my ochem class is pretty tough...I'm studying for an ochem exam I have tomorrow morning and I just finished my pre and post lab for my 3 hour ochem lab tomorrow afternoon.

Last things before thanksgiving break

lucidity0101
11-20-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm a hell of a lot better at Bio and I'm usually the top in my classes, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think it's easier, but I'm more of a textbook learner and I don't depend on lectures. Biochm is really memorization with some organic logic, it isn't too bad at all. Just really study the textbook hard, no matter what you do. I don't know how many hours you put in at the library/wherever you study, but I usually put in a good 20-30 hours a week for 16 credits (as in no breaks, just studying), and for BioCHM I'm putting in atleast 10 hours a week, mainly making notes/prepping for lecture. I can memorize structures for whatever test in about 2-3 hours total. I'd consider myself above average in terms of ability to learn, so your mileage may vary (I've found that academics are a hell of a lot like lifting in these respects. Some people can get to the elite numbers faster than others, some people just are strong students without much effort.)

I really can't offer any words of advice other than study nonstop and study hard. That's what any successful science major does, unless they're gifted and give half a shit and walk around doing research most of the day. You should be studying at least 32 hours a week on a 16 credit load, rule of thumb, unless you feel comfortable with less. I suggest honestly giving a HUGE shit about organic chemistry and trying as hard to get the highest grade possible. It really helps with a lot of stuff, plus if you start to like it (as most people who 'conquer organic' do, oddly enough) and start doing research in it, I'm sure an MS/PhD in it will be good for getting a nice job some day. Where do you go?

I seriously can't stress it enough, and I hope I don't come off as condescending, but study hard man, and don't get defeatist about this stuff. You'll get it if you put your mind to it.

burce
11-21-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm a hell of a lot better at Bio and I'm usually the top in my classes, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think it's easier, but I'm more of a textbook learner and I don't depend on lectures. Biochm is really memorization with some organic logic, it isn't too bad at all. Just really study the textbook hard, no matter what you do. I don't know how many hours you put in at the library/wherever you study, but I usually put in a good 20-30 hours a week for 16 credits (as in no breaks, just studying), and for BioCHM I'm putting in atleast 10 hours a week, mainly making notes/prepping for lecture. I can memorize structures for whatever test in about 2-3 hours total. I'd consider myself above average in terms of ability to learn, so your mileage may vary (I've found that academics are a hell of a lot like lifting in these respects. Some people can get to the elite numbers faster than others, some people just are strong students without much effort.)

I really can't offer any words of advice other than study nonstop and study hard. That's what any successful science major does, unless they're gifted and give half a shit and walk around doing research most of the day. You should be studying at least 32 hours a week on a 16 credit load, rule of thumb, unless you feel comfortable with less. I suggest honestly giving a HUGE shit about organic chemistry and trying as hard to get the highest grade possible. It really helps with a lot of stuff, plus if you start to like it (as most people who 'conquer organic' do, oddly enough) and start doing research in it, I'm sure an MS/PhD in it will be good for getting a nice job some day. Where do you go?

I seriously can't stress it enough, and I hope I don't come off as condescending, but study hard man, and don't get defeatist about this stuff. You'll get it if you put your mind to it.
I'm the same way in terms of biology, I'm always in the top of my bio classes (got a 5 on the AP bio exam in hs and only studied the day before)

I go to virginia tech. I really don't put in enough effort and thats why ochem and phys together are killing me right now. I might end up withdrawing from ochem and retaking it next semester

Thanks a lot for the advice