PDA

View Full Version : STFU and lift | Keeping things simple

Smack
07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
It's came to my attention that I'm just a skinny newbie who doesn't have a clue what he's doing who thought he was training "Westside". But you're not training Westside unless you're at Westside, as many people say and I have realised from looking at people's journals who do train at Westside, or have done so before.

I've pissed away 6 months worth of bench strength by being a clueless idiot. When I was on the SPBR I failed to leave my ego at the door and absolutely blasted myself on the accessory work, so much so that I rarely got all the required reps and went to failure pretty much at the end of every last set of all the lifts. This totally screwed my bench progress, and I'm not happy at myself for this.

My squat strength also didn't go up much, and my deadlift strength decreased from no longer doing frequent enough pulls.

Then when it came to the Westside stuff I was too OCD and stupid to be able to correctly address my weak points and do that lifts that I needed to do, in rep ranges that best suit me. I just don't have the training knowledge and experience to be able to go by feel; I need someone who knows what they're doing to tell me what to do and I need to be able to do it and not question it. So that's why I'm now doing Ex's routine.

I still believe in the tried and tested motto of strength = size, so my main concern is putting up bigger and bigger numbers on the main lifts, for lower reps.

Oh, and this will be my last routine change until 2011. I promise. Now time to stop thinking and start lifting.

Smack
07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Tonight's session:

Rack deadlift 1" below knees:

396 x 3

Pretty crappy, was hoping to get two sets of five but it wasn't to be. I'll damned well get that next time, though.

Dorian rows:
176 x 6
176 x 6

Pretty hard. Will still try and up the weight next time.

Rack chins:
bodyweight x 10
bodyweight x 10

Not too hard, will go for sets of 12 next time.

Alternating hammer curls:

2 x 20

president_fad
07-17-2009, 05:29 PM
the hardest part about "lifting as a sport" is sticking with it. Most of the time you have no one but yourself to rely on for support. Keep at it.

Smack
07-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Illegal wide grip bench press:

132 x 6
154 x 5

First set was fairly light since a) I'm not a good bencher and haven't benched in a few weeks and b) I've never benched this wide before. I definitely feel quite a bit weaker using this grip so I'll have to up the weight on this to see how it affects my flat. Never got last rep on last set.

Hammer grip dumbbell bench press:
used the 50's

100 x 10
100 x 9

Paused at the bottom since off the chest strength is my weakness. Will try and get 2 x 12 next time then I'll have to do another exercise as I cannot put any more weight on the dumbbells.

Overhead triceps extensions:

did a set of 10 with each hand but I really don't like these for some reason. I cannot do triceps push downs and skull crushers with the Oly bar didn't feel right today.

Lateral raises:
used a 15 each hand
30 x 10

Light as Ex says so.

Front raises:

15 x 10

Extremely light, probably much lighter than Ex meant so I'll put more weight on the dumbbell next time.

Smack
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Deficit deadlifts, around 3" lower than my usual pull:

303 x 5
303 x 5

These were very hard. My weakness is off the floor, which needed to be addressed. Felt like I was pulling off of Ben Nevis, lol. For the first time since I can remember I felt a little bit of pain in the shins since the bar was hitting them lower than usual. Knees also forward more than usual. Very different bar path as well.

Dorian rows:

182 x 6
182 x 6

Chin ups:

A few ... trying to get better at these since it is important.

Alternating Hammer curls:

2x20

Smack
07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Had a bit of an odd session today.

Wide grip bench press:

Didn't warm up properly or care too much about my warm up set weights or rest times. 132 was feeling unusually heavy and 154 felt very heavy. Did 160 x 3 but just wasn't feeling it.

Hammer grip dumbbell bench press paused at bottom for 1-2s:
used the 45s
90 x 12
90 x 9

Was feeling much more warmed up now and thus set a PR. Last set failed on the 10th rep. Next week I'll get 2x12 for sure. The pause at the bottom is to help my off the chest strength since this is my weakness.

Close grip rack pin press 6" from chest:

132 x 6
132 x 6

Not too demanding. Will go for more weight next time.

Lateral raises:

2 sets of 10 reps.

Smack
07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Had to keep tonight's session short (and sweet) because I've got a lot of stuff that needs doing. Was also busy all of today dismantling and shifting heavy sections of the garden shed round trees and over dikes which was pretty hard (I'm moving house).

Squats:

308 x 5
308 x 5

It's been an age since I last squatted. Not since my 370 x 1 low box squat PR, which was around a month ago, in fact. Goal was to get three plates for two sets of five which I got. Wasn't that hard but could have been easier, if you know what I mean. I attribute that to my lack of squatting for a long time and heavy manual work done earlier.

Smack
08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Short on time again so just did the main lift of today:

Wide grip bench press:

154 x 6
154 x 3
154 x 3

On the middle set I felt something in my chest. Didn't want to risk anything so I racked the weight. I've heard a lot of negative things about a wide grip so I might just can them and do normal grip instead.

Smack
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Reason I haven't updated this for a while is because I haven't had an internet connection and I have been unwell. I probably won't lift again until at least two weeks. I'm due a blood test in a week although I'll probably be better by then.

Good news is that I now train at a proper hardcore gym. We've got strongman equipment, bands, chains, sleds and plenty of plates.

padge
09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
In regards to your first post: That is the reason why I don't understand why Westside routines are so often recommended here. They seem like the ultimate drug rather than cure for the OCD lifter. Plus picking out your weak points without a spotter can be difficult at times and then knowing what lifts to address those weakpoints is another battle altogether. There is too much doubt in such a routine for a beginner lifter who needs to get good at the main lifts. That's just my opinion though, it obviously works great for lots of people.

Hope you feel better soon and get back to attacking those weights.

Smack
09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah thanks for the kind words. I've lost a stone of bodyweight (that's 14lbs for you Americans) and I look a bit smaller on the upper body but doubt I've lost anything on the legs (when I was trying on new jeans the 34" waist ones were too small to fit around my ass and thighs). Probably most of the weight lost was water weight.

I lose it quickly but then again I also gain it back quickly as well.

ehopkins932
10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Strong decifit deads in here man. And the close grip benching on 6in pins...how tall are you. 6 inches above my chest is above where I unrack it lol.

Smack
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm 6'4". I also have a huge wingspan, which is why I suck at pressing. Thankfully, though, it helps counteract my long legs so deadlifting isn't an issue. My actual lockout on the deadlift is quite low compared to most.