PDA

View Full Version : Texas Savage's Road to a State Wrestler.

Texas Savage
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone- glad to be hear. ive been reading, minimal posting, mostly reading.

Im doing Ia's four day a week 5x5. Started out today. Since i know the routine is proven and credential ill be posting highlights ect.

My diet, im still dialing it in and trying to set it all up. More to come on that.

Currently:
16 years old( as of a month)
5'10
200 lbs give or take.
Bodyfat- too high( 20-25%)
Bench- Im starting fresh, i maxed 275 over the summer- but it was likely a good bounce, and i was out of town for 5 weeks right after that, plus i had to cut 18 lbs for wrestling, and wrestling season. so strength went down.

Same goes for squat, deads and most lifts.

My goals:
Bench: 275
squat: 315
Dead: 340
BF:12%
Weight: 195

Reason for my goals for bench/squat being unbalanced is. i started out like a noob, hated legs, and only did bench. bench went up, squat didnt. Now its unproportional.
All of that by- September- but these likely wont be achieved if i go to a month long wrestling camp in July or june.

Texas Savage
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
First workout today on IA's four day 5x5.

Bench: warmed up. 175x5, 185x5, 185x5, 195x5, up until then i didnt have a spotter( my workout partner has 3 tests tomorrow), so i asked a guy who looked capable of spotting me. I hit 195x5 easy, probably could have done 205-210 but im taking it slow and dont wanna peak.

I dont have anyway to do 3 board bench press so i did incline and dips supersetted( 3 reps of each) 2 sets

^^^ if you know of a better alternative for 3 board bench press let me know^^^

finished out with DB Skullcrushers( new to me- used to EZ Bar) and Lat raises.

I did a 30 minute run on ellipticals to keep bodyfat in line while i set out my diet.

Tomorrow is wrestling practice, then Deads on friday i hope.

musclemilk
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
dont say I wont do it. Say Dammit I will get it done.

Best of luck w\wrestling!!

klarko
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Looking good, all the hard work you do now will payoff next year. Just don't overdo it and get hurt!

Texas Savage
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Havent posted in a few days.

Friday night: had a lockin at church and didnt lift before, and was up unitl 5:00 and woke up at 7:00. and then slept later in the day, So i didnt lift friday or saturday. I had practice thursday and it was good, learned a few new wrestling moves.

Sundays workout:
5x5 chinups- made a lot of progress on chinups in the last 9 months. In september i could do one max. Now i can do about 8 or 9.

did BB Rows 3x5 ended with 165.

Deadlifts:
warmed up
5x5

the last set was the only one that was difficult. The first 4 i was pulling it well and explosively.

NOTE: i havent deadlifted since october or so with the exception of 1-2 times.

I forgot the workout at home, so i didnt have it with me. I thought it was Bent over rows, not curls. Oops. And i wasn't able to do ME Squat- Groin problem atm.

I think ill be able to hit 265x5 next workout. And im looking to hit 300x5 by june
7th.

I leave for wrestling camp in June for 21 days at iowa State. Gonna suck but ill get better. Ill be doing much more conditioning and running in the next month before i leave.

Texas Savage
05-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Had practice today.

Drilled crotch lift, tilts, greco takedowns. And did a lot of live wrestling.

Now studying for Ap tests.

Krol
05-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Good luck on the AP tests. What subjects are they on?

Texas Savage
05-12-2009, 11:15 PM
World History- im a sophomore so i only had one, thankfully- so im devoting time to it. Still so much information.

Did 7 outline charts on sunday, 8 yesterday and 6 today for essays. and then started reading a review book tonight. read 40 out of 180 pages so far.... need to read at least 20-30 more tonight.

Then finish reading throughout the day tomorrow and do some practice multiple choice stuff.

Next year taking 6 aps

Phsyics Ap
English Ap
Us History Ap
Human Geography Ap -- and physcology Ap( one semester courses)
Environmental Science Ap

Precal reg
lunch
Wrestling

kill me now.

kingkong
05-13-2009, 04:27 AM
very strong man!
good luck with the program, and good luck with the wrestling!!

Krol
05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Impressive. You'll be able to have many of your general requirements fulfilled by the time you go to college.

Texas Savage
05-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Impressive. You'll be able to have many of your general requirements fulfilled by the time you go to college.

Yeah im hoping so.

assuming i pass the Aps. ill have

world history- tomorrow

physics
english
us history
human geography
pyschology
environmental science

^^ after junior year^^
and senior year

english
calculus- maybe dont know yet
phsyics 2
gov/eco

and electives wise i dunno yet. But next year will be hell and ill probably end up dropping one of those aps junior year.

it will make finding time to workout ect next year more difficult but ease up college for me. so it'll pay off.

No workout today. My mom let me skip computer science( tech credit) and wrestling to have a few hours to study so i can get to bed earlier hopefully.

Br0kenB
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
APs are a real pain. I had a ton last year, and I'm so thankful they're over. Does your school make you pay for yours?

Texas Savage
05-13-2009, 07:51 PM
APs are a real pain. I had a ton last year, and I'm so thankful they're over. Does your school make you pay for yours?

For the class? no. for the Ap test itself. yes.

Texas Savage
05-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Took the Ap test today

Multiple choice- i think i got 50-60ish out of 70. pretty good.

First essay- i think i got an 8 or 9.

second essay- 5-6 - hard topic.

third essay- 6 probably.

Overall at least a 3. probably a 4 and depending on how my 2nd, 3rd essays are graded potentially a 5.

Wrestling today we did a lot of live takedowns, Greco and Freestyle. My partner hurt his back so i was wrestling with our 145 lb guy- now about 180. He is our best wrestler, only one loss until he got hurt at state. An Animal. He and i were drilling and i learned a few good setups and defenses from him.

Texas Savage
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Ap week is over. Finally got to work out today.

5x5 chinups

deadlifts
185x5
205x5
225x5
245x5
265x5

Curls 3x8

DOA
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
yo man good luck with wrestling ive always wanted to wrestle but my high school doesnt got a team hopefully the university i pick will have one. Check out my journal soemtime http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21262

Texas Savage
05-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Havent been as active on here thanks to school. bleh. almost over.

Worked out yesterday, today. Dont remember full workouts. BTW i wasnt able to do IA's 4 day 5x5 because i dont have 4 days a week right now.

But lets see.

hit 225x4 on bench.

Managed to do 5x3 wide grip pullups( used to only be able to do one)

I workout at a healthclub- lame i know. but its cheap. So they have a yoga center with a bunch of mats. Anyways my friend in wrestling and I after our workout ask if we can practice in there for a little while. We got the go ahead and he taught me some new stuff- really good one on one practice. and he offered to do that i few times a week. Should help a whole lot towards next season.

Texas Savage
06-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Mmmmk. Ive been working out- no worries there, just havent been posting every workout due to time, ect.

Some prs hit.

bench 225x5
pullups-8.
and then ive gotten back into squatting so numbers are rising- will post later.

Meanwhile ive been wrestling a few times with my friend. And then yesterday was our first open mat of the summer and i went and did well. I used to train with this guy a year below me. I would usually beat him, but yesterday i was wrecking him bad. Takedowns were extremely explosive and ive learned to use my hips more and practically front squat the guy and dump him down. And as far as my breakdowns went, our coach always told us to do an arm chop forward, whereas my friend said armchop to the side and use your knee to nail him in the hip. It worked every single time and set up the half, butcher, and easy tilts.

Regardless afterward my friend said i had gotten a lot better and could easily see me doing well on varsity next year.

Open mat again tomorrow, hoping to do just as well.

Texas Savage
07-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Well guys i just got home from Iowa State university. After 3 weeks of training im pretty dang tired. it was a 3 week camp. i had three practices a day two hrs each plus morning runs about every other day.

im exhausted but i have definitely become a better wrestler. three weeks of training under Iowa State's team and coaches. They got third at nationals this year, Cael sanderson, the head coach was an olympian gold medalist hes now going to coach at penn state but it was his camp

We had kevin Jackson and Bobby douglas there throughout the entire camp, two more gold medalists. they had several other coaches who were national champions. and the entire team who are all very good.

Morning runs were pretty nuts. The second to last day, for our last run, led by Jake varner( a national champ), we did 1.7 miles worth of sprints.

Im in incredible shape, a much bettter wrestler, and now that im home, i need to practice everythign ive learned to take full advantage of this.

Texas Savage
07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Okay, well since getting back from camp, i took one day off and have been getting to it.

a few Prs since coming home.

4x8 chinups- coudl only do sets of 5 or so before.
4x8 dips with bodyweight+25 lb weight. ---Stoked about this one.

My back looks a little wider in mirror, not sure if it is or not, but whatever.

Looking forward to packing the weight on for dips and chinups.

rok
07-09-2009, 01:18 PM
good job buddy keep it up. lookin forward to see how you do this season

Texas Savage
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I went to South Padre for a week.

Ive been lifting, but its been more of hitting my compounds while im in town.

Im now back and should be here the rest of summer. I started a WS4SBIII routine today-Westside routine.

Today was Max effort Upper Body.

Regular Bench:

i warmed up pretty well
Barx20
75x10
95x10
135x10
155x8
170x5
185x3
205x3

First real set
225x3- i meant to get 5 and make it my max effort. Oh well, so i did another set.
235x3- not too hard, i probably couldve gotten 240.

Then 2 sets of chinups till failure.

got 14
then 12

then DB Rows supersetted with Rear Delt Flyes
DB rows were VERY Good.

Row weight:
70x12
80x10
85x10

Rear Delt Flyes with 'tens', first time to do them. I think i did them right.

DB Shrugs
4x15 with 55's in each hand.
^^ was alright, my traps are a weakpoint^^

then finished with 4x10 hammer Curls

OVERALL very good workout, i like the layout and cant wait to make some good progression off of it.

Texas Savage
07-25-2009, 02:34 PM
okay so on Wednesday i had My Dynamic Lower body day.

Did some jumps
stepups
RDL's
and hanging leg raises

thurs off
yesterday: Repetition Upper body

4 sets 12
DB Bench(flat)

4 supersets, 8-12 reps
Chin-ups
Supersetted with
Face pulls

4 sets 10 reps
DB Lat Raises

3 supersets
DB Shrugs (10reps)
Supersetted with
Tricep Pushdowns(15reps)

Both were good workouts, the DE Lower was a more enjoyable workout, i liked the jumps. And it felt good to do DB bench.

Max Effort Lower body coming up in an hour or so.

Texas Savage
07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Max Effort Lower Body

I left the sheet at home that laid out the workout for me, so i was going off memory. Pretty acurrate but did do one thing wrong.

I worked up toa max set of 5 at 240 on Deadlift. It wasnt too bad. But definitely tiring.

Instead of lunges, i did leg press by accident

I did RDL's. (still trying to get the form down so im hitting the right muscles)

and Abs- got a good workout

good workout, now for a few days off.

Texas Savage
08-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Havent posted in several days, still working hard though. Some prs.

Bench 245x3, 2 weeks ago was 235x3.

Dl at 255x5, im going up now that im working at it harder.

DB Rows and Shrugs have each gone up about 5 lbs for dumbells.

And i can do about 12 chinups now.