PDA

View Full Version : Smack my bitch up - Smack's training log!

Smack
03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
So now that teen logs have to go here, I thought I'd repost mines as well seeing as I am a teen.

Don't know what's with the recent backlash against teens, but it's obvious that our logs aren't wanted amongst the rest of the folk's logs so our's are being stuffed back here, where I'm sure all of 2 people will read them. Oh well, I'll be sure to follow the rules.

To keep it short I won't include too much crap about my training history, illnesses and lazyness.

So here's my story:

I first got some weights for my garage in Febuary 07, did Rippetoes until like the last day of June, went on holiday, came back and got constantly unjured for like three months (I blame my squat form - ATG close stance doesn't agree with my long unflexible legs; heels must of been coming off the floor) and then for like many many months I was quite ill so lost a lot of weight and strength. Workouts after that were extremely infrequent due to laziness.

Now to October 2008: I went to university and joined their gym. I actually joined in September but the first two weeks were freshers' weeks so I was too drunk to really consider going to the gym. I picked up Starting Strength again until the end of the year and in January I started doing Iron Addict's Simple Power Based Routine.

About me and the journal:

Height: 6'3.5"
Weight: 200lbs
Weights in Kilos!
Max bench: don't know, haven't flat barbell benched in ages.
Max squat: don't know, haven't done regular back squats in a month or so, but I can do 145 x 5 (319lbs) for two sets from a parallel box.
Max deadlift: 155 x 5 for two sets.
Goals: get bigger and stronger!
Suppliments: fish oil and real food! (And whey protein as well.)

Thanks for reading.

Smack
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Legs, back and biceps

Box squats:
150 x5
150 x 5

Same difficulty as last time. My back seems to be the weak point, though, not my legs. On last rep of last set, when I sat down I lost my breath and thus buckled under the weight and did a GM out of the squat. Must remember to keep tight!

Glute ham raises:
bodyweight + 5 x 10
bodyweight + 5 x 10
bodyweight x 10

Last set with the 5 was damned hard so I reverted back to bodyweight in order to get 10 good form ones.

One arm dumbell rows:
used a 27.5
sets same for each arm
27.5 x 8
27.5 x 8
27.5 x 8

Dumbell curls:
used the 17.5's as the 15's were in use
35 x 4

Too heavy... and about time I switched to something new.

Cable bicep curls:
80lbs x 8
80lbs x 8
70lbs x 8

80lbs was quite hard to do so I went down a notch for the last set so there was absolutely no cheating.

Smack
03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Chest, shoulders and triceps

Dips:
bodyweight x 5
bodyweight x 5
bodyweight x 4

Dips don't seem to be progressing that well...

Incline dumbell bench press:
used the 22.5's
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 7

Very difficult.

Standing dumbell military press:
used a 17.5
35 x 6

Too difficult to do without loads of leg drive and crappy form so ...
used a 15
30 x 8
30 x 8

Still very difficult.

Tricep push downs:
130lbs x 10
110lbs x 10
110lbs x 10

130lbs was too hard so I went down a bit.

Vertical hip raises:
used a 10 and bodyweight
10 x 10
10 x 10
10 x 10

Time for an off week. I'll take next week off seeing as I'm home from uni for a week.

Samsuperjew
03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
nice log man, have fun on ur week off

Smack
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks. To be honest my week off will probably be shit, though.

Smack
03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Legs, back and biceps:

Good mornings:
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5

Never done these before. I think that, although the weight was easy, it really showed my weak abs.

Chin ups:
bodyweight x 6
bodyweight x 6
bodyweight x 6
bodyweight x 7

Had I been at the gym instead of my garage I bet I could've got more.

Barbell curls:
30 x 8
30 x 6
30 x 5

Wrist really started to hurt a lot on last few reps of last two sets. So much so that I had to put the weight down.

Seated calf raises:

45 x 15
45 x 15
45 x 15

Easy. Couldn't get any more plates on my lap, though, so had to leave it at 45.

Overall, a crap workout. I'll come back and set some PB's after my week off. :D

AnyOldIron
03-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Most guys' blood pressure skyrockets when reading the shit the average teen posts up about diet, training, getting drunk, chicks, weed or bicep curls so putting your journals in here spares us the unnecessary aggravation of clicking in the main journal forum and finding a teen journal by accident.

Also, by having your journal in here it's more likely you'll get help when you need it. There's not much we can say to guys throwing around 400 x 20 but it's easier to help out teens and beginners, because you just need to stick to simple principles to get bigger, stronger and leaner. Joe doing his own bench cycle or Mick squatting 777 are not going to need 'the basics', they'll need different techniques that not everyone is qualified to comment on. But in here you can get help from a lot more people, because most of us have been there, done that and got the bench shirt.

Now, you've mentioned your weak abs yet none of your last three workouts have any real ab work: hip raises are all well and good but consider the load you can use on them vs say, a decline situp (where you can put plates on your chest) or standing cable abs (where you can use the stack and add a plate to it as well). Always look for exercises you can be progressive with.

Smack
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I did do decline situps at one point but when I got past using a 15 the plates were too big to get decent ROM with. Never heard of standing cable abs, though, I'll have to look it up. The cable machines in my gym cap at 150lbs, although I'm sure I could put a dumbell on top if needed.

Thanks for the ab advice.

neverfinished
03-29-2009, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=Smack;239500]Don't know what's with the recent backlash against teens, but it's obvious that our logs aren't wanted amongst the rest of the folk's logs so our's are being stuffed back here, where I'm sure all of 2 people will read them. Oh well, I'll be sure to follow the rules.QUOTE]

the oldy's cant take the new heat we bring :) they just step off before they get burned :P :pokeowned:

Smack
03-29-2009, 06:49 PM
So I sort of misunderstood the point of some of the lifts on this programme; my fault for not reading enough before attempting the programme. Military presses with barbell will no longer be done 3x5 but 3x8, and strict - not push presses. I liked Rippetoes where lifts were 3x5 and I was getting stronger, but the military presses are really an assistance lift where the main lift that day is a bench press. When I come to maxing on the bench press next week, I'll have to live with the fact that it would've been a few kilos higher had I done the programme correctly and not cared too much about going ultra heavy on the push presses.

Also, no more doing the dumbell presses 4x8 first - main 3x5 lift will always come first. I also won't push myself as hard on the 4x8 lifts seeing as they are assistance stuff and, well, like most teens I wanted to lift as much as possible and as such, went too close to failure far too many times. Yes, I deserve a slap. Yes, I'll leave the ego at the door when I go to the dumbell rack.

Smack
04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
So I hate to be OCD, but I'm going to change my programme. For a while, I've wanted to train like a powerlifter, and maybe even compete sometime in the future. My occasional training partner is a powerlifter and trains in a very similar way to which I'm going to. So here it is, Westside for Skinny Viking Bastards (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=920894).

Monday: Upper Body Max Effort
A. Bench Press Variant 3-5RM
B. Horizontal Row 4 X 5-10
C. Supplemental press 3-4 X 6-10
D. Upper back variant 2-3 X 12-15
E. Weighted Abdominal work 3-4 X 8-15

Wednesday: Lower Body Max Effort
A. Deadlift Variant 3-5RM
B. Squat Variant 3 X 8
C. Weighted Hypers 3 X 8
D. Ghetto GHRs 2 X 8

Friday: Upper Body Repetition Effort
A. Repetition Effort Bench Variant
B. Vertical Pull Variant 4 X 8-12
C. Medial Delt or Trap Variant 3 X 10-15
D. Triceps Supplemental Variant 3-4 X 5-10
E. Curl Variant 3 X 8-10
F. Abdominal circuit training

Monday: Lower Body Max Effort
A. Squat Variant 3-5RM
B. Pull Variant 3 X 8
C. Weighted Hypers 3 X 8
D. Ghetto GHRs 2 X 8

More squatting, which I like and need to help reinforce good form. Seems like a bit more back work and less pressing than the SPBR, which again I like.

So I'll give this a shot for 3-9 months and see how I fare.

CeeJay
04-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I did do decline situps at one point but when I got past using a 15 the plates were too big to get decent ROM with. Never heard of standing cable abs, though, I'll have to look it up. The cable machines in my gym cap at 150lbs, although I'm sure I could put a dumbell on top if needed.

Thanks for the ab advice.

Couldn't you just put a dumbbell on your chest instead of using huge plates?

Smack
04-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Far more awkward for anything above 10kg. I'll just have to put the plate behind my head.

Samsuperjew
04-12-2009, 12:06 PM
if you want to keep it on your chest, just stack up 2 25's with this if you can afford it

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=295&pid=2471

Smack
04-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Shipping will be horrendous and it's already expensive for what I'd use it for anyway, but thanks. I've already got some more ab exercises I can be progressive with.

Smack
04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
First day of Westside training went extremely well.

Bench press:
Worked up to 70 x 3

Bent over barbell rows:
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6

Incline dumbell bench press with hammer grip:
used the 15's
30 x 8
30 x 8
30 x 8

Face pulls with cable machine:
60lbs x 15
60lbs x 15

Kneeling cable abs:
110lbs x 15
110lbs x 15
110lbs x 15

Everything very easy. Happy that I've lost no strength on the bench from not doing it for months. In fact I've probably gained strength because the triple was far easier than when I first did it months ago. Rows easy enough, and I didn't want to go too heavy on the incline dumbell bench press seeing as it's only a supplemental press. First time doing face pulls and kneeling cable abs.

Smack
04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm at home for the weekend so I had to lift in my garage with limited equipment

Repetition upper:

Flat bench max reps:
60 x 11

Happy enough with this considering I never perform well in my garage due to lack of proper warm up and it was quite late at night.

Chin ups:
bodyweight x 9
bodyweight x 9
bodyweight x 6
bodyweight x 6

Not too happy with these. Really ought to be able to do more.

Barbell shrugs:
70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10

First time doing these. Didn't feel too natural with a barbell, and don't plan on doing these when I have access to dumbells for other delt work as opposed to trap work.

Skull crushers:
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

These don't feel good on my right elbow. When I'm at my uni gym/get bands for my garage I'll do pull downs instead as they feel much better on my elbow. Also kept the rest periods very low due to small weight being used.

Barbell curls:

25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

Kept rest times down due to small weight being used. Also these feel crappy on my wrists.

Tried to do decline sit ups with plate behind head, but that seemed to induce the gag reflex when I started to decline. Couldn't do them for some reason so I called it a night as I didn't want to puke all over myself.

Samsuperjew
04-17-2009, 06:49 PM
nice workout man!

and for decline situps... those are hard, i know what you're talking about with the gag reflex

Smack
04-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't think I really explained properly. It wasn't because they were hard. I only used a 10 and I've easily done 15 for 10 reps. It was because, for that time only, something felt very awkward around the neck and I just wanted to puke. I think putting the plate behind my head caused too much pressure around my neck, which gave me the gag reflex. I get the same when I try to do front squats. Once I have a plate each side, the bar seems to do something to my neck area and I want to gag and throw up.

Thanks for the compliments.

Samsuperjew
04-17-2009, 07:05 PM
oh, gotcha

Smack
04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Pretty shitty session tonight ...

ME lower:

Squat:
Again, my weak abs really showed. I got to 150 and after that I did what Chuck V did with his 1110lb squat yesterday. So nothing heavier than that until I get my abs sorted.

It's also been two weeks since I last squatted, and for me regular squatting is the key to getting god at them, so probably once I start squatting again regularly my form will improve. Things I need to focus on are:
Correct bar position; taking in enough air and holding it; pushing against the belt to create intra abdominal pressure; correct head position.

I've read many different things on head position. I'm going to experiment with different angles, from -15 degrees (looking a tad downwards) to +30 degrees and see what suits me best.

Good mornings:
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 8

Last few reps quite hard on last set. Done beltless as well.

Hypers:
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8

First time doing these; did them weightless to get the form correct first.

GHR's:
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 7

Been a while since I done these, and I've lost a bit of strength on them. Should get back up once I do them more often.

Smack
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Me upper:

Flat bench:
Worked up to 75 x 3. Was quite easy thankfully, so I'll give 80 a try next time.

Bent over barbell rows:
65 x 6
65 x 6
65 x 6
65 x 6

Last few reps on last set a bit difficult, that's all.

Incline dumbell bench press:
used the 20's
40 x 8
40 x 8
40 x 8

Simple.

Face pulls:
70lbs x 15
70lbs x 15

Simple.

Standing cable abs:
120lbs x 15
120lbs x 15
120lbs x 15

Like doing these, a good ab exercise I can be progressive on.

Smack
04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Pretty crappy session tonight.

Me lower:

Deadlifts:
Though I'd at least manage to work up to a triple using my old weight for 2x5 but all I got was one rep. My body really doesn't like taking time off lifting it seems.

Squats:
Decided to to beltless Olympic squats. Couldn't even do 100 after the deadlifts ... :(

Hypers:
3x8

Easy enough, even after deadlifts.

Glute ham raises:

2x8

Easier than last time.

Smack
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
RE upper:

Flat barbell bench press:
60 x 13

2 rep improvement over last time.

Chin ups:
bodyweight x 6 - used wide hammer grip
bodyweight x 8 - used normal grip
bodyweight x 5 - used wide hammer grip
bodyweight x 6 - used normal grip

In conclusion, wide hammer grip is harder for me than close normal grip. However, I've done close hammer grip before and they were the easiest grip I've done.

Lateral side raises:
used the 5's
10 x 10
10 x 10
10 x 10

Tricep push downs:
70lbs x 10
100lbs x 10
100lbs x 10

Started off with just 70lbs and absolutely no shoulder or back help to push it down. Then noticed it was far too easy so moved up to 100lbs, which was a lot harder but doable. Next time I'll do all sets with 100lbs, same form.

Bicep curls:
used a 10
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

Easy enough. I'll use a 12.5 next time.

Ab circuit training:

15 Decline situps, a few leg raises then 10 more decline sit ups.

Really don't like leg raises at all. Feel absolutely no ab involvement in them whatsoever. Next time I'll do weighted decline situps and standing cable abs.

Smack
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
ME lower:

Squats:
worked up to 140 x 5 - technically a PB seeing as I had only done this to a parallel box before. Depth was below parallel on all reps. Happy to get some squats done right though.

Stiff legged deadlifts:
Tried to do 100, but couldn't grip it for long enough. Got 1 x 5 before I had to dump it, then like 1 x 2 and gave up. Next time I'll take my chalk.

Hypers:
bodyweight + 5 x 8
bodyweight + 5 x 8
bodyweight + 5 x 8

GHR's:
bodyweight x 4
bodyweight x 4

Couldn't do any more.

Did some stretches as well.

president_fad
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
keep it up!

Smack
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks.

Smack
05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
ME Upper:

Flat bench:
worked up to 80 x 2. Was going to go for another but honesty couldn't have made it so no point in trying. Next time I'll try and get 5 reps so 80kg will be my new 5RM. I think this will be mentally easier to do than add more weight to the bar seeing as I'll have already had that weight on the bar and succesfully benched it.

Bent over barbell row:
67.5 x 6
67.5 x 6
67.5 x 6

Very hard so didn't bother with last set. Think I'll switch to another row next time, either high rep dumbell rows or low cable rows.

Military press:
40 x 6
40 x 6
40 x 4

Absolutely terrible. Used absolutely no leg drive so it was all shoulders and triceps. Experimented with different grips as well. Tried a far wider than usual grip and it didn't workout too good as you can see.

Decline sit-ups:
used a 10 as well as bodyweight for 15, 15 and 15.

Smack
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Oops, having terrible connection here; the result of being with the worst ISP in Britain.

Smack
05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Another crappy session:

RE Upper:

Flat bench:

60 x 12

One less rep than last time. Perhaps could've got another rep or two, but the 11th and 12th were extremely slow. It wasn't to failure, but then I didn't train to absolute failure when I got 13 either.

I'm going to re-evaluate my form and how it feels. I still don't feel quite tight enough at the back; could do with pushing shoulders in more, and also I never seem to consider what on earth my elbows are doing. Elbows tucked next time.

Chins:
bodyweight

Used same grip for all sets this time. Worse than last time, a little bit. I'm quite tall (6'4"ish) and my feet always end up touching the floor. I don't use any leg drive at all any more, but I end up deloading the weight (me) after every rep, so I'm not really doing proper sets of chins, even if the first few 'reps' I do are very explosive. Finding it quite hard to progress with bodyweight stuff (these and dips, for example). If I had a regular training partner, I'd do what Charles Poliquin advises and have someone hold my ankles giving just enough help so I could do proper sets of chins without resting. I'd progress much better doing that and perhaps my pipes might grow a bit as well.

Lateral raises:
used the 7.5's
15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10

Last few reps of last set quite hard. I'll add more reps next time.

Tricep push downs:
100lbs x 10
100lbs x 10
100lbs x 10

Very easy.

Dumbell curls:
used the 12.5's
25 x 8
25 x 7
25 x 6

Crap.

standing cable crunches:
140lbs x 10

Did a few more but stopped as I was feeling a pump in my quads so it wasn't really my abs doing anything.

Smack
05-25-2009, 04:46 PM
ME bench:

CGBP:
worked up to 70 x 3. First time doing these. Tried for a fourth rep but failed half way up - perhaps this suggests weak triceps?

Incline dumbell bench press [30]:
More inclined than the one at my uni gym which was probably at 20-25 so was a bit harder. Used the 22.5's (I am assuming since I do not know the exact weight of my olympic dumbbell handles but they feel like 5kg so they probably are since that's a nice round number)
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 4

These really were quite hard.

Incline skull crushers:
Used an 18.75
18.75 x 10
18.75 x 10
18.75 x 10

Damned hard the last few reps were.

Lateral side raises:
used a 7.5
15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10

First time training in a week. Third session in about a month. Over the summer I'm going to get back into it seeing as exams are finished now and I have no uni till September.

Smack
05-27-2009, 02:38 PM
ME Squat:

Squats:
Was doing my warm ups as usual, got to 130, was going to put my belt on, but decided not to and did five reps of 130 beltless, touch and go off of a parallel box to ensure I got depth (i.e. they weren't traditional paused box squats, as soon as I felt the box I drove up). This is a PB for me, and one that I thought I wasn't capable of since I've always had the idea that my abs are weak as shit. Wasn't that hard either. My previous best beltless squat was 130 x 1 and that was much harder. Happy with that. On Monday I'll use the belt and get a true 5RM hopefully.

Snatch grip deadlifts:
100 x 5

The lift wasn't the hardest part but gripping it was. Grip didn't feel too good that far out. Was hoping to get 10+ reps seeing as it wasn't a heavy weight but wasn't happening. Maybe I should've used straps. Also didn't feel right during the initial phase from the floor. Next time I'll do Romanian deadlifts.

Dorian rows:
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 8

I've stopped cheating on these now and use only back and biceps to lift the weight. That means the weight has gone down slightly but I'm better off in the long run.

Incline hammer curls for the gurls [45 degrees]
used 12.5's I think
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

Easy enough.

Smack
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Was tired and triceps still a bit sore from Monday so nothing too much tonight:

RE Chest/shoulders/triceps

Flat dumbbell hammer grip bench press:
used the 22.5's
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8

Military press:
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5

I'm crap at military presses as you can tell. Was hoping to get 8+ reps with this but wasn't happening so I do more sets instead.

JM press:
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

Smack
06-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Not the best session, certainly not the time I prefer to lift at.

ME Squat:

Haven't deadlifted in ages (last proper deadlifts was when I was still using the SPBR and took place like back in March. Missed them since at one point they were my favourite exercise. Wanted to see where I was this evening so worked up to a 165 1RM. Pretty crappy, I've definitely lost some strength on these since before I was doing 155 for 2 sets of 5. Unlike my last 'ME' lifts which weren't true ME lifts at all since they were 3's and 5's (I'm mainly concentrating on 5's and the occasional triples seeing as I want to gain mass. I'll be shooting for 1RMs when I think I'm about to hit a milestone). Then did a back off set of 8 with 130. Hopefully progress will quickly pick back up to speed and I'll get 200 before October.

Chin ups:

No more pussyfooting around with these going to do them properly now so no more feet touching the floor at the end of each rep. Going to shoot for 25 reps per workout in however many sets it takes from now on. I got to 13 total, pure, clean reps but couldn't be bothered any more.

Dumbbell curls.
used the 12.5s
25 x 8
25 x 8
25 x 8

Quagmire911
06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Whereabouts in Scotland are you? Only other Scot on here that I've seen...

Keep it up.

Smack
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Aberdeen(shire when not term time). You?

Smack
06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
ME bench:

CGBP:
Worked up to 70 x 4. One more rep than last time but still pretty crappy. Not that much closer than my normal grip either.

Sticking point (4" above chest):
60 x 5
60 x 5

Incline dumbbell bench press (hammer grip):
used the 22.5's
45 x 8
45 x 7
45 x 6

Worse than last time.

Quagmire911
06-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm on the outskirts of Glasgow.

Keep it up.

Smack
06-05-2009, 03:09 PM
ME Squat:

Parallel Box Squats:

Was aiming for 160 x 3. The low 100's felt really awkward on my back, but I persevered until I got to 130, realised my crappy shoes were still on and took them off, and the squats felt better and so, oddly enough, did the weight on my back. Then did 140 x 1, beltless, which is a PR for me. Was quite easy as well, but my aim was to get 160 x 3, so instead of doing what I did last time and doing 4 more to get a big, beltless PR, I racked it and did 150 x 1 with a belt. Not that hard. Then when 160 came I fucked it up. I lost concentration and thus fucked up my form, and thus fucked up the lift. Didn't sit back enough, wasn't tight enough, looked down a bit. Need to work on being able to concentrate with heavy (for me) weights on my back and then I'll be able to nail the weights as I am sure I had 160 in me for a few reps.

Romanian Deadlifts:
100 x 10

Not that hard. No chalk and grip was beginning to break on the last few reps but I got them.

Kroc Rows:
used a 30, all sets each arm
30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 10

Not that difficult, not sure why I stopped at 10 reps. Next time I'll go onto 20, and then move up a weight.

Dumbell curls:
2 sets.

I've got some new goals for the end of the summer as well. I've had to abandon my old goals since they were made in March, and the whole of April and most of May was a lay off for me, except a few bench sessions. My squats and deadlifts are behind what they were all the way back in March, sadly, and my bench hasn't improved that much. So I think it's appropriate that I set new goals.

By the end of summer and the start of uni (mid September);

Squat: 180
Bench: 100
Deadlift: 200

Might consider getting knee wraps soon, but if my torso can't support the weight I won't bother. I've heard of people who can just do 140 beltless and no wraps get 180 with a belt and wraps, so we'll see!

Krol
06-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't even notice you were doing Westside. Back in the day when I wasn't stupid and adding exercises and workout days, I made my own simple Westside workout. I gained a ton of strength from it. Hopefully you will also!

I hear you on the staying tight part. Usually the only times I screw up a lift or make it harder than necessary is when I don't stay tight.

Smack
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
RE Bench:

Flat barbell bench press:
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

This is the heaviest 60 has felt, ever. Even back in my Starting Strength days, when I did 60 3x5 it felt much lighter. Dunno what was happening because I've done 80 x 2 and 60 x 13 before, and that was before I learned powerlifting bench technique so my back was flat and my elbows were flared. Was expecting two easy sets of 10, then maybe up to 15 on last set. Really disappointed in this...

Military press:
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 5
40 x 8

First three sets easy enough, wanted to see how much I could get on last set but NTF so I stopped at 8 since it was getting very challenging, but could have possibly got 10.

JM press:
22.5 x 10
22.5 x 10
22.5 x 10
22.5 x 12

Felt much easier than it did last time. 30 seconds rest between all sets. At 12 on last set lactic acid kicked in.

Disappointed in bench tonight, and nothing anyone can say will make me feel happy.

Billsterl
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
wow 60 x 13 to 60 x 5 is a huge drop off, you just had an off day, just hit it next time, do you know what caused this?

Smack
06-09-2009, 05:23 AM
I don't like to dwell on it and my diet and rest seemed fine enough...

I honestly think it was just that my CNS wasn't warmed up enough to fire. On squat and deadlift days, this is never a problem because even warm up sets do a good job of getting the CNS ready. But when you're using a very light weight on the bench (a lift that uses only 20% of your musculature) the warm up sets don't tend to be so effective. On the military presses I felt fine and the same with the JM presses, so next time before I do some RE work I'm going to do some heavy abs first and see how that makes a difference.

Smack
06-10-2009, 05:06 PM
ME Squat

Box squats:
16" box, so slightly under parallel for me (I am tall and have long legs). Got 150 x 4. Previous best was 150 for 2x5, however this time my form was much better: no momentum and absolutely no GMing out of the hole like I did last time on the last few reps. Happy with that. Then did a back off set of 100 x 10 beltless. The last few reps were quite hard but still excellent form. I'd really like to take 100 for a widdow maker soon. If I ever finish my ME lift and think it was piss easy then I am! Also that was the first time I've ever done a squat for more than five reps.

Rack pulls from right below knee:
100 x 10

Had very little left after the box squats.

Abs:
Some hanging leg raises but they're crap in my garage since my rack chining bar is quite low so did some decline weighted sit ups as well.

Workrate
06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Nice journal Smack.

Smack
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
ME Bench:

CGBP:
Worked up to 70 x 5. A PB. Had a little bit more in the tank as well. Done 3 weeks of CGBP so next time I'll change the ME lift. Probably do decline for a bit and see if that increases my bench any.

Dorian Rows:
65 x 8
65 x 8
65 x 8

First two sets quite easy, clean reps. Last few reps on last set a bit harder. Next time it's Kroc rows and I'll continue with them for three weeks before coming back to the Dorian rows.

Incline dumbbell bench press [30]:
used the 15's
30 x 20
30 x 20

First set easy enough, 1 minute rest and after around rep 14 on second set they began to get a bit tougher. Couldn't have gotten any higher than 20 on the second set.

Thick Bar Skull crushers:
Did some using a dumbbell handle, holding onto the 2" diameter ends, realised that an extra inch on the diameter of the bar doesn't make a difference at all grip wise on an exercise like the skull crusher, did 10 easy reps full ROM, next set with full ROM was a bit overzealous with the speed and crushed my skull so stopped.

Smack
06-18-2009, 05:43 PM
RE Upper:

Incline bench [30]:
60 x 8

The plan was 60 3x8 but after the first set was just one rep short of failure. I was also using a slightly narrower grip that I feel much more comfortable using. Second set I used a normal grip, i.e. pinkies on rings, and that was much, much harder and much, much more uncomfortable. Got three reps and said to hell with this. Probably couldn't of gotten the fourth either. Set a PR tonight so I'm mildly happy about that, as previous best on incline bench was 62.5 x 5 on a lower incline, but I'm confused about how I find closer grip much, much easier than normal grip...

Rack chins:
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 6
bodyweight x 5

Had to stop at 6 reps on third set because of wrist pain of the same variety that I got with straight bar curls and normal chins. Ditto for last set. Probably do a pronated grip next time since with them I have no wrist pains.

Triceps skull crushers and standing biceps curls superset:
First set of super set was fine but had to stop on second set on biceps curls because of forearm fatigue, i.e. I could no longer hold the dumbbells.

Not a brilliant workout, and I don't normally workout on a Thursday but am doing so because I couldn't last night.

Also missed Monday's ME lower. The plan was to do rack pulls for a max set of five. Didn't feel good going into it, couldn't really warm up. Had a big boy plate each side and let me tell you, that was the heaviest 60kg I've ever felt. Didn't bother doing anything else because if such a light weight feels so heavy, I'd hate to have felt how heavy two plates each side would've been!

I'll do the rack pulls either tomorrow or Saturday.

Smack
06-20-2009, 01:01 PM
ME Lower:

Rack deadlifts 1" below knee:
This was the lift I was attempting to do on Monday, but 60kg felt like I'd imagine 600kg would feel like, which was a give away that I just wasn't meant to lift that day. So fastforward to today, one day after I'm scheduled to lift, I did it. My reasoning for doing rack deadlifts when I know my weakness is right off the floor is that I've never done rack deadlifts before, so it was mere speculation, although very educated speculation since I've never failed to lock out a deadlift if I've gotten it off the floor before.

So I was warming up and got to 160 and thought it'd be a good weight to try and get 5 reps with. I was using a belt as well. Much to my surprise, I got to 20 reps and decided to stop there since they were getting very, very hard and I had obvious underestimated myself to the extent of my weakness off the floor. Each rep was fully deloaded, i.e. no touch no go, I used mixed grip, chalk and a belt. I lifted with no shoes which helps when your shoes are crappy Nike shoes which aren't meant for lifting. Grip surprisingly held firm; it wasn't until the 5th or 6th rep I decided to chalk up. So to reiterate, 160 x 20. :)

Some light ab work:
Some higher rep sets of decline sit ups with a 10kg plate.

I didn't really want to do anything else involving the lower back after the rack pulls since I have no idea how I will recover since I've never done anything like this. If I had access to a leg press, I would've used it, but I don't so it's no biggie in the long run. I'd also like to point out that my grip isn't strong enough to do the estimated 255kg 1RM, either; in fact I don't think anything of me is strong enough to budge 255kg, from anywhere. But I'm happy with my performance on the rack pulls today.

Samsuperjew
06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice rack pulls man, what chalk do you have jw, i've noticed that different places have higher/lower quality chalk

ehopkins932
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Good work man. You could always use straps/mixed grip if you cant grip it.

And dam the 16 in box is like an 1/8 squat for me lol

Smack
06-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Nice rack pulls man, what chalk do you have jw, i've noticed that different places have higher/lower quality chalk

I dunno, my dad bought it off of Ebay and it came in a white box around the size of a shoe box. They're separated into individual bars as well. It works fine for me.

I'd imagine that it is more the different knurling on different bars that affects things more than different kinds of chalk. If you went to a new gym then they'd probably have different bars and thus different knurling.

At my uni gym we had two different barbells: some unnamed ones that were crap, and Eleiko ones that were excellent. With the Eleiko barbells the knurling was so good you didn't really feel like you needed chalk. With the crappy unnamed ones the knurling is so crappy that no amount of chalk makes you feel secure in your grip.

But hey at least in your gyms you're allowed to use chalk; many (most probably) aren't.

Good work man. You could always use straps/mixed grip if you cant grip it.

And dam the 16 in box is like an 1/8 squat for me lol

I already use mixed grip on anything over three plates.

Smack
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
ME Upper:

Pretty crappy session today. Probably still not fully recovered from Saturday. Was going to do this session last night but core and back was still too sore to really do any work with.

Decline bench press:
Worked up to 80 x 3. That was bloody hard. Really feel uncomfortable doing declines, like my body is not in such an optimal position as flat. I'll do these once more and see how they are once I'm better recovered before making a final decision. Also used a normal grip (pinkies on rings) and I seem to be stronger with a closer grip. Sticking point was right off the chest.

Inverted incline dumbbell bench press:
used the 20's
40 x 10
40 x 10
40 x 10

These aren't too good to do with my bench for various reason, but though I'd give them a try because my lower back just wasn't up to doing a rowing movement where my torso wasn't supported.

JM Press:
40 x 6
40 x 6
40 x 10

PR. Might have to review form a bit I'll see but they certain felt like JM presses.

kingkong
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
doing awesome dude, i like ur routine.

Smack
06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
DE Lower:

Box squats 16" box, slightly below parallel for me:
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2

Never done any DE before. Damn, I'm slow! Need to work on bar speed a lot, it seems.

I was pressed for time this session, but my original plan was to do some volume stuff. I tried some front squats, was warming up with 60 and after the fifth rep my wrist was getting really sore. I must not have very flexible wrists. I cannot do cross arm. I'll work on wrist flexibility so I can do some decent weight on these and get some big ass quads. Did some light (100kg) deadlifts to help with form. Not much reps or much volume, but I've recently changed my form a bit and wanted to perfect it. More pulling back, slightly closer stance.

Finished with some abs.

My original plan was to have two ME lower sessions, one ME upper and one RE upper. However, I really don't feel like doing sometimes two ME squats/deadlifts in a week any more. I was toying with the idea of experimenting with an RE lower session, but decided against it as I can do some RE, or rather submaximal stuff because I'd like to do some more sets for a bit more volume to see how it works, after DE. Plus the DE gives me a chance to review my form. I have since realised that I don't sit back far enough during box squats and my knees break first. I'll correct that, should be pretty easy since I'm not doing them to the extremes like what I used to do.

Smack
06-29-2009, 04:34 PM
RE Upper:

Was very tired tonight and didn't eat much today, so wasn't expecting too good a session tonight.

Incline bench press:
60 x 7

Worse than last time, sucks totally. Next time I want at least 10 (2 better than my previous best).

Close Grip Rack lockouts, around 6 inches above chest:

60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

Wasn't that hard weight wise. Only rested about a minute between each set. Could've done more on last set, but the pins were too high to be useful I think because that point felt above my sticking point. Next time I'll do some 4 board CGBP. I've decided to do heavy triceps on my RE day and light triceps on my ME day as well.

Rack chins:

bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8

Was very tired by this point but got three clean sets of eight bodyweight, more than last time. Might have had another set in me I don't know.

ehopkins932
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Good job on the chins. Do you find them harder or easier than regular wide-grip pull-ups?

Smack
06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I can't actually do a single regular wide grip pull up. I can do a few chin ups, my strongest grip is around two feet apart, but cannot do a pull up.

Smack
07-03-2009, 03:10 PM
ME Upper:

Pretty shitty session tonight. :(

Bench:
Failed to make a new PR. My previous was 80 x 2. I got 80 x 1, which wasn't that hard, then failed 85 and then failed 82.5. Don't know why I'm so crap at the bench... :(

Dorian Rows:
70 x 6
70 x 6
70 x 6
70 x 6

Not that hard. Will do 75 next time.

Paused at bottom dumbbell bench press:
used the 22.5's
45 x 10
45 x 7

Smack
07-06-2009, 05:14 PM
ME Lower:

Box squat (15.5" box):

Worked up to a 1RM of 167.5. Tried 170 but, as has happened before, I sorta lost concentration whilst I was just about to touch the box so lost it. Happy with my new 1RM since, although when I did 150 2x5 my estimated 1RM was 170, the box I used was higher (probably 17.5 - 18 inches high, but this was exactly parallel and has been verified as such) and my stance was wider (my stance is 36" wide now).

Deadlifts:
Did some more form work after reading Exmgq's deadlifting thread. Got to 130 x 2 but after that there was just nothing there after the box squats.

Abs to finish:

3 sets of decline situps. The 15 is easier than the 10 if held flat against chest so I now hold the plate perpendicular almost guillotining me, and this feels like it hits my abs much better.

Smack
07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
RE Upper:

Incline barbell bench press:
60 x 8

Not a PB yet, sadly, but at least I managed to equal my previous PB. Still pretty pissed off, though.

Close grip pin presses, somewhere between 4 and 6 inches off chest, paused on pins:
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6

Harder than last time's higher pin setting obviously. Might have had 8 reps in me on first set. Last set didn't have another rep. Short rest periods (1 minute 30 seconds) as well.

Lateral raises:
used the 10's
20 x 8
20 x 8

Shoulders need more work done so laterals and upright rows are going to be a regular feature from now on.

Dumbbell rows:
used a 40, each set same reps on both sides:
40 x 10
40 x 10

Pretty hard. Might have had almost 15 reps on me, and that's what I'll go to next time, but was almost out of breath. I probably need to do some damned cardio and get my conditioning back.

Smack
07-11-2009, 05:44 PM
DE Lower:

Absolutely terrible workout tonight:

Parallel box squats:
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2
80 x 2

Bar speed still very slow. Might take the weight down to 75 and see if I'm any faster.

Good mornings:

Tried to do some but my body was having none of it. My body didn't seem to want me to lean over with the barbell on my back. Every time I tried I froze and my knees seemed to come forward without me telling them to. Tried the seated version as well but again my body was having none of it. I've done 70 3x5 before, so I have no idea why tonight my body wouldn't let me perform a good morning.

Front squats:

Destroyed my wrists doing these. They're still sore now. Didn't do any noteworthy weight before my wrists said no.

Abs:

Was going to do something for them but my wrists were too sore to either hold onto a chin up bar for some leg raises or hold a plate for some decline sit ups.

Sucks.

Samsuperjew
07-12-2009, 01:26 AM
That sucks man...... for front squats though, arn't you supposed to rest the bar on your shoulders?