PDA

View Full Version : SPBR Journal!

Pages : [1] 2

Br0kenB
03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Switching from my custom split to IronAddict's ''A Simple Power-Based Routine'' after spending a few days losing motivation and confidence in myself. I think this change in routine will not only take me to a routine that is generally proven by those who have tried it, but it should also do a better job of helping me gain strength. It will also help me have more fun with lifting, as I switch from a routine that isolates each body-part daily to a full body routine every day.

My new routine will go like this:

Saturday - Workout 1
Monday - Workout 2
Wednesday - Workout 3
The Next Saturday - Workout 4

Workout 1:
- Barbell Squat 3 x 5
- Pull-Throughs 3 x 10
- Bent Row 4 x 6
- EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3 x 8
- Barbell Calf Raises 3 x 15

Workout 2:
- Flat Bench Press 3 x 5
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
- Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3 x 10
- Hanging Leg Raises 3 x 10

Workout 3:
- Deadlift 3 x 5
- Leg Press 2 x 10
- Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6
- Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
- Calf Raises 3 x 15

Workout 4:
- Incline Bench Press 3 x 5
- Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
- Military Shoulder Press 3 x 8
- Overhead Dumbell Extension 3 x 10
- Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 10

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8050

Here is my public food journal, updated every day: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=carlbarone

I appreciate any and all feedback and criticisms.

Br0kenB
03-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Saturday, March 21st, 2009

Workout 1:
- Barbell Squat 3 x 5 (130)
- Pull-Throughs 3 x 10 (100)
- Bent Row 4 x 6 (105)
- EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3 x 8 (30) 2x8/1x6
- Barbell Calf Raises 3 x 15 (95)

All entries have the bar added in the weight already. I don't feel tired at all after this. Followed it up with 10 minutes of cardio.

Br0kenB
03-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009

Cardio:
- 60 minutes LISS Cardio

Br0kenB
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Workout 2:
- Flat Bench Press 3 x 5 (115)
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8 (35)
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8 (25)
- Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3 x 10 (35)

Post-workout Cardio:
- 20 minutes LISS 3.5 MPH Walk

AnyOldIron
03-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Workout looks good. Your diet however has a lot of processed junk in it: prepackaged chicken, cereals, protein/oat bars. If you want to gain weight at all costs and to hell with health issues or leanness then a 'seefood' diet can work but you're still barely getting in 200g of protein most days.

What are your stats and goals?

Br0kenB
03-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I want to try to stay lean, though.

I am 5'8, 175 and I'd have myself pegged around 16-18% body fat. But I was skinny-fat at 155 pounds so I figured a bulk was the way to go.

AnyOldIron
03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Eating clean would be a good start, then.

Br0kenB
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I eat as clean as I can and as frequently as I can. I'm a senior in high school so it gets very tough at times...I eat breakfast and don't have lunch until 1, so protein and oat bars are pretty quick and easy for me. Things should get easier beginning in May, but at that point I don't know if I will be cutting. Honestly, I just want to be maybe 175 pounds lean, and get rid of this spare tire of fat around my waist. But I don't know what I should bulk to to achieve that. I've already added about 20 pounds since December 1st.

AnyOldIron
03-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Your options aren't just bulking and cutting. You can always eat clean, enough calories and protein to support muscle growth and recovery, and fluctuate carbs and do cardio to burn bodyfat at the same time. It's a slower process than full-on weight gain/weight loss protocols but it works and gives you the best of both worlds. 20lbs since December sounds great but likely to have some fat gain in there, it's a very fast rate of gaining..

Br0kenB
03-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm totally open to learning new ways to do this. I used to be 220 pounds at 5'7 when I was 16, and horribly out of shape. I cut all the way down to 150 with just cardio, so I have no strength. I am mainly concerned with the fat gain, as becoming fat again is like, my worst nightmare, so I do cardio at the end of my workouts to try to combat it. Where would one find information on the methods you describe?

AnyOldIron
03-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Check the nutrition forum for a start and read as much as you can.

You will basically have to have periods of the day when you're burning fat and periods of the day when you're building muscle, you achieve this by eating low carbs and calories in the 'fat burn' periods and doing cardio, and higher carbs and calories around a workout. You can also do a 'zig zag' diet with eating over maintainance on training days and under maintaining on off days.

Also look into the timed carb diet (TCD). PLenty of info on that, I'd tell you more but I'm logging off for the night now, read up and post any questions you have

Br0kenB
03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Cool, thanks man, don't be a stranger to my journal, I really appreciate any and all help I can get :).

Br0kenB
03-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Weighed in at 172 today, which is weird. I am going to try eating 300 below maintenance on days I do not work out, putting me at around 2600 calories, and 300 above maintenance on days I do work out, putting me at 3200 calories. Still 200+ g of protein daily =]. Hopefully this helps me burn the extra fat.

AnyOldIron
03-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Go for 300g protein a day. 200g is too low.

Br0kenB
03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think I can manage to eat all of that. I don't have the best selection of pure protein sources so I gotta make-do with what I have available to me.

AnyOldIron
03-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't think I can manage to eat all of that.

This is why so many people go to the gym for years, and never look like they train.

What protein do you have available? Eggs, meat, fish, dairy, some protein powders are all good choices.

Br0kenB
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I have all of that available to me, just not in great great quantities.

I walked around playing sports for about 6 hours today. Good cardio but getting my calories in right now.

Br0kenB
03-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Workout 3:
- Deadlift 3 x 5 (220 - PR)
- Leg Press 2 x 10 (180)
- Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6 (120)
- Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 (8/6/4 with 30 / Preacher)
- Calf Raises 3 x 15 (55, Smith)

Today was meh. I feel sick and I think I have mono. But I went to the gym anyway because it may just be my sinuses. I am aching all over my body as of late so some lifts, like Leg Press, were difficult. Still PR'd on Deadlift. I think my lack of protein for the past few days is to blame. I am going to focus on protein more. But for now I will use the next two days to recover from whatever it is I have...oh, and I weigh 170 today o___o.

AnyOldIron
03-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I have all of that available to me, just not in great great quantities.

Why not? If your budget is an issue you can get in plenty protein cheaply. If your parents are buying your food then ask them for more, or get a job and buy extra yourself.

Br0kenB
03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Okay, I'll consciously try to get way more pure protein sources in my diet. It just sucks that you can't have more than 60g in a meal..

AnyOldIron
03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
It just sucks that you can't have more than 60g in a meal..

why can't you?

ktm_Wrench
03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Okay, I'll consciously try to get way more pure protein sources in my diet. It just sucks that you can't have more than 60g in a meal..

That's an excuse to limit yourself. Better to have more than not enough.

Br0kenB
03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
It's not proven? I thought 60g was the most you can digest at once? I ate 60g at 5 but I am still hungry now so can I take 60g more right now? I'm starving but I don't actually know the science behind this particular debate...

AnyOldIron
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
the body works on supply and demand. if there's a demand for protein absorption, it will happen. go squat 400 x 20 and then tell me your body won't absorb more than 60g of protein in a meal.. :|

however, when you say 'take' 60g, do you mean protein drinks? 60g of protein from meat is going to satiate you a lot longer and give you better gains than 60g of protein from powders.

Br0kenB
03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Oh I got my 60g at 5 PM from meat. I still have half of what I made left (chicken sausage) and I'm still hungry as shit so I wanna take out the rest of it right now haha.

Br0kenB
03-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I just ate 69 more g of protein. Going to have a lot more before bed. My quads are so sore, though...they have been since Tuesday night...ouch. Hopefully all this protein will help me not feel as crumby in my lower body.

Br0kenB
03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
And now my journal is in the Teen Section so naturally it'll get no more replies, haha.

Joe
03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
And now my journal is in the Teen Section so naturally it'll get no more replies, haha.

That's not true at all.

If you are interested in seeking advice or guidance kindly ask a verified member to look over your journal from time to time--they will oblige.

Br0kenB
03-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Heh, cool then. I'm glad it isn't like BB.com...it seems like when I post there it takes days for someone to post, and even then it's just like ''hey nice progress'' and that's all, when I haven't made much progress at all.

Joe
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Well, another way of getting people to look at your journal is to comment on theirs. If you show interest in them, more chances they will show interest in you.

I mean, what do you think this board is about? Do you expect people log on here, read over your journal and hold your hand through your progress? If you want some info and guidance, go out and seek it.

AnyOldIron
03-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Well, here's a comment. What you ate yesterday, from your fit day:

South Beach Diet Protein Bar
100 Calorie Pack Pretzel
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Toaster Pastries, KELLOGG, KELLOGG'S POP...
Mineo and Sapeo Chicken Sausage
ON 100% Whey Double Rich Chocolate
Milk, 2% fat
Milk, 1% fat

There is NOTHING in that diet that isn't a processed food (yes protein powder and milk are processed, and I bet you didn't use all natural peanut butter and all fruit jelly). That's not a diet for muscle growth, that's the diet of the average skinny-fat kid.

You worry about protein assimilation yet you eat junk all day! lol.

Your dietary choices should be more along the lines of:

PROTEIN: Eggs, meat* (any), fish (any), poultry* (any), protein powder ONLY before/after a workout.
CARBOHYDRATES: Fruit**, vegetables**, oatmeal, ezekiel or wholegrain (not wheat) bread, potatoes/sweet potatoes, wholegrain or basmati rice.
FATS: Nuts, all natural peanut butter or other nut butter (no sugar added), olive oil, fish oil, hummus, butter, olives, avocado, flaxmeal.

*Don't sweat the leanness of your meat or skin on your chicken. You're a teenager, you need all the nutrients you can get.
**Eat as much of these as you want, preferably a lot.

You can also add some unprocessed dairy products such as yogurt (very healthy) and cheeses. Milk is your choice - personally I think it's shit. Unless you can get your hands on raw milk, in which case have some.

Hot sauce, ketchup (low sugar), mustard, mayonnaise, lemon juice and vinegar are fine as condiments. Dress your salad/veggies with olive oil, and lemon juice or vinegar.

Learn to like herbal teas, especially green or white tea. Drink a gallon of water a day as a minimum. Diet soda is okay if you want a sugar fix, but you shouldn't regularly crave sugar if you eat enough good food.

Don't count calories right now. That's the worst thing a teenager can do. Just concentrate on eating good food, and a good amount of protein every meal. You can count protein grams if you want, but don't go micromanaging carbs and fats. Just eat. If you stay active and train hard you'll be fine.

I'd also say ditch the fitday until your eating habits improved. Trying to count calories when you currently eat junk all day is like trying to put a roof on a house which has no foundations. Concentrate on eating 5-6 meals a day, each rich in protein, fruit and vegetables and added carb/fat as you want.

Cheat a couple of times a week. If you go out with your friends don't sweat having a Big Mac (or three). But don't do this every day.

Supplement with a strong multivitamin (eg NOW Adam) and 2g fish oil with every meal. That is all. Take 2 scoops of protein after your workout with some carbs.

Once you've adopted this diet for a few months you can think about counting calories. But it most likely won't be needed. If you eat like this long enough, you'll instinctively know what to eat and when.

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I know how to eat clean. On a bulk, I just....don't. On my 15 month cut, I ate clean every single day. So I know how it goes. I lost 70 pounds by the way.

But I know I coul be doing better but usualy as long as I hit the right protein number, around 250, then I don't care what else goes in my body, especially in my current position.

I am an endo. If I don't count I will overeat, and if I overeat I will get fat. I am so scared of getting fat again that I'd sacrifice all my muscle for that. When you've been fat all your life and escape it, you just don't wanna go back.

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, another way of getting people to look at your journal is to comment on theirs. If you show interest in them, more chances they will show interest in you.

I mean, what do you think this board is about? Do you expect people log on here, read over your journal and hold your hand through your progress? If you want some info and guidance, go out and seek it.

Yeah but getting my hand held is cool, too :). It's just more valuable to me than reading something for myself and not having anyone to tell me how they do things.

AnyOldIron
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
But I know I coul be doing better but usualy as long as I hit the right protein number, around 250, then I don't care what else goes in my body, especially in my current position.

When you've been fat all your life and escape it, you just don't wanna go back.

These two statements are a contradiction. Either you're interested in staying lean or you're not. Your current diet is not 'clean' - it's full of processed foods and refined carbs.

Do as you will.

AnyOldIron
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah but getting my hand held is cool, too :)

Yet I just gave you a slew of dietary advice and you dismissed it?

Joe
03-27-2009, 03:34 PM

That's why we keep the teens confined to their own corner :D

Dobermann
03-27-2009, 03:39 PM
lol you care about getting fat yet THAT was your diet!? :D

Take AOI's advice he may be a loser but he knows what he is talking about when it comes to lifting! Eat clean and watch your body comp and strength goals sky rocket! eat shit and well watch your health and lifting goals suffer lol

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 03:58 PM

I didn't dismiss it, it's just that you're telling me things I already know.

I don't really think I have gotten fat eating like I currently have to...maybe a little bit, but I have grown a lot and my strength has shot right up. So maybe I can get by until summer when it becomes so easy to eat the correct way.

AnyOldIron
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
So maybe I can get by until summer when it becomes so easy to eat the correct way.

that's just an excuse, buddy-boy.

Samsuperjew
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
BrokenB, just wondering, how old are you?

Joe
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
br0kenb do you understand now why we have a teen section for the board?

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Nope, not at all, unless it's just an excuse to be condescending to members which you think have no knowledge of what they are undertaking.

Samsuperjew
03-27-2009, 04:09 PM
BB, just wondering (my post was on the bottom of the last page, 5 seconds before joe posted), how old are you?

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Sam, I'm xvicknumber7x from BB.com, you might know me. I'm 17.

Samsuperjew
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
oh, i was wondering if you were in college

getting proper nutrition is pretty easy in HS, if you talk to your teachers, sometimes they will allow you to eat in class, and even use the mike in the teachers lounge to nuke your food

AnyOldIron
03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Nope, not at all, unless it's just an excuse to be condescending to members which you think have no knowledge of what they are undertaking.

Dude, in one post you say you want your hand held and in this one you're saying you have the knowledge and know what you're doing.

Please make up your mind. If you want us to stop giving you advice, we will and we'll let you get on with things. I tried to help neverfinished with his log but he's another who won't listen and thinks he knows everything.

Your current diet may be getting you stronger, but a diet of McDonalds all day can also get you stronger, doesn't mean it's good for you.

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't think I know everything. That's far from the truth. But you accused me of dismissing your advice, when I stated that that was already stuff I know. Just chill, your help is appreciated, and I'm eating as well as I can be. That's all we need to take from this discussion.

Sam, it's just not plausible in my school. I go to one of those smart kid testing schools, so they keep everything really strict and adhere to every rule and guideline that the New York school board regulates.

Smack
03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Smack, let the experienced lifters help him.
-Joe

AnyOldIron
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Good luck with everything either way.

A final piece of advice though: for the record I was a fat kid as well in my teenage years, and there'll be times when you're afraid of eating too much or whatever - just remember you need to fuel yourself appropriately for your workouts, and if you keep your food clean you can eat a LOT and not get fat, even lose fat. Let go of that fear, you won't suddenly blow up, and your fear of gaining fat will hold back your gains, if you let it.

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Okay guys, I have decided I am going to clean my diet up completely, make shopping lists and the like, and make this happen. I am so sick of this fat stomach I have.

I'm not sure what I should bulk to though....

Br0kenB
03-27-2009, 10:11 PM
New Plan:
- 3200 Calories (300 above maintenance) / Days I Lift [Sat/Mon/Wed]
- 2900 Calories / Days I Do Not Lift

- Will eat nothing but: Eggs, Meat, Fish, Poultry, Whey, Fruit, Veggies, Oats, WW Bread, Nut Products, and Milk.

Hopefully getting 50% of my daily calories from protein, and I am really hoping I can shed some fat and build some muscle on this routine. It all comes down to me just hating my stomach area and all the fat there, and realizing I have not worked hard since the beginning of my bulk. I hope my body composition improves with my increased discipline. Form will be perfect, as will diet, day in and day out. I will eat once every three hours.

AnyOldIron
03-28-2009, 05:45 AM
New Plan:
- 3200 Calories (300 above maintenance) / Days I Lift [Sat/Mon/Wed]
- 2900 Calories / Days I Do Not Lift

- Will eat nothing but: Eggs, Meat, Fish, Poultry, Whey, Fruit, Veggies, Oats, WW Bread, Nut Products, and Milk.

Hopefully getting 50% of my daily calories from protein, and I am really hoping I can shed some fat and build some muscle on this routine. It all comes down to me just hating my stomach area and all the fat there, and realizing I have not worked hard since the beginning of my bulk. I hope my body composition improves with my increased discipline. Form will be perfect, as will diet, day in and day out. I will eat once every three hours.

Good, do this for 6 months and you WILL be bigger and leaner.

Br0kenB
03-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Can do, thanks for all the help!

Br0kenB
03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Workout 4:
- Flat Dumbbell Press 4x8 [40 each hand]
- Incline Barbell Press 3x5 [95] SO WEAK
- Standing Military Press 3x8 [65] EQUALLY WEAK
- Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [35]
- Hanging Leg Raise 3x10

I am so weak. Diet is on point so far! Lmao...

AnyOldIron
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Why are you doing the incline barbell press after the dbs?

Br0kenB
03-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I think it was in that order on my sheet, the way I wrote it out. If that's a problem I'll switch it around.

My BB bench of all sorts have always been really weak.

Smack
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Why are you doing the incline barbell press after the dbs?

I sometimes have to do this as well when the incline bench is in use. Is it that vital that the incline bench comes before the dumbell bench on this programme? I obviously notice my incline strength is less than if I do it first and dumbell bench strength isn't that, if any, better.

Br0kenB
03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I need more calories...eating this much protein today has me pretty full...

Need to fit in 1200 more before sleep.

Br0kenB
03-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Okay, only need about 250 more calories!

neverfinished
03-29-2009, 02:38 AM
Go for 300g protein a day. 200g is too low.

lol i take 200G of protein and im cutting

AnyOldIron
03-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I think it was in that order on my sheet, the way I wrote it out. If that's a problem I'll switch it around.

My BB bench of all sorts have always been really weak.

I sometimes have to do this as well when the incline bench is in use. Is it that vital that the incline bench comes before the dumbell bench on this programme? I obviously notice my incline strength is less than if I do it first and dumbell bench strength isn't that, if any, better.

I think you two need to read a bit more. The exercises you can lift the most weight at in good form are always those that will elicit the best strength gains, and therefore the most mass gains. You will always be able to lift more on a barbell exercise than the equivalent dumbbell exercise (incline bench vs incline dumbbells for example).

Also look at the rep ranges: 3 x 3-5 will produce much quicker strength gains than 4 x 8 (which is an assistance/hypertrophy rep range, not really a primary strength builder).

Each workout day, everything revolves around the squat, deadlift and the barbell press variations you're doing. The dumbbells, glute ham raises, pushdowns etc are all assistance movements of a secondary importance. Certainly, they contribute to mass and strength increases but NOT as much as the barbell movements.

By doing dumbbells at 4 x 8 before a press at 3 x 5 you're essentially pre-exhausting the pressing muscles, meaning you can lift less on the barbell compound exercises and therefore get a lot less growth from them. YOU WANT TO BE LIFTING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN (SAFELY) ON BARBELL COMPOUND EXERCISES.

So, Smack, in answer: yes, it's vital you do the barbell presses first. BrokenB if you're weaker on the barbell presses, that's even more of a reason to prioritise them.

The program has barbell presses first, dumbbells second, and those rep ranges for a reason. Please do not deviate from them, because if you do you're just screwing with the program. And neither of you should be doing that.

*IF* on the rare occasion you must do dumbbells first - that is, you're in a tearing hurry and the barbell benches are full - do dumbbells at 3 x 5 and at least load the muscle to a similar extent as if you'd done the barbell presses. But always do the barbells if you can. If the gym's busy do your abs first, or some stretching, or hop on the treadmill for a few minutes.

Br0kenB
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I knew 3x5 was for strength but didn't realize how important it was to go first. Won't happen again.

How was my diet from yesterday? I like to think it was perfectly clean.

AnyOldIron
03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
How was my diet from yesterday? I like to think it was perfectly clean.

It was fairly good. Prepacked chicken/turkey breast is full of additives and filler carbs so avoid it where you can. I don't like milk but if it doesn't cause you problems it's okay. But otherwise, yeah, good effort.

Br0kenB
03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't understand what chicken people eat, then. The kind I buy is wrapped in plastic and is frozen. How can you get something any more fresh than that? It had no like, marination or anything, just boneless without skin. I can take pictures? Same goes for chicken sausage I eat. Just frozen and wrapped, nothing really added to it, according to the ingredients...

Deli turkey is my shit, though. My mom doesn't cook for me and I can't really cook myself so I eat a ton of that. But I will change that if need be.

AnyOldIron
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't understand what chicken people eat, then. The kind I buy is wrapped in plastic and is frozen. How can you get something any more fresh than that? It had no like, marination or anything, just boneless without skin. I can take pictures? Same goes for chicken sausage I eat. Just frozen and wrapped, nothing really added to it, according to the ingredients...

Deli turkey is my shit, though. My mom doesn't cook for me and I can't really cook myself so I eat a ton of that. But I will change that if need be.

The prepackaged chicken/turkey breast in your fit day lists it as having 10g carbs in 8 slices.. pure chicken (like all meats) has zero carbs in it, like the 11oz chicken breast you ate. sliced 'sandwich' meat will generally have filler carbs in (potato starch, sugar) and is not the same as 'real' meat.

Samsuperjew
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
It was fairly good. Prepacked chicken/turkey breast is full of additives and filler carbs so avoid it where you can. I don't like milk but if it doesn't cause you problems it's okay. But otherwise, yeah, good effort.
life without milk?!!? :ugh:

Br0kenB
03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
The prepackaged chicken/turkey breast in your fit day lists it as having 10g carbs in 8 slices.. pure chicken (like all meats) has zero carbs in it, like the 11oz chicken breast you ate. sliced 'sandwich' meat will generally have filler carbs in (potato starch, sugar) and is not the same as 'real' meat.

I am not sure that they are the same things, though. I have never had the nutrition facts of the real thing that I eat, I am just now realizing. I just use whatever sounds the most like what I eat. I'll go after the real nutrition facts this week...

And I just love milk, man. Gotta keep it.

AnyOldIron
03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I am not sure that they are the same things, though. I have never had the nutrition facts of the real thing that I eat, I am just now realizing. I just use whatever sounds the most like what I eat. I'll go after the real nutrition facts this week...

And I just love milk, man. Gotta keep it.

Start reading the labels properly then. :D

As for the milk - well, I love plenty of foods which wouldn't be good for for me on a daily basis in that quantity but eh - as you will.

Br0kenB
03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
I center all of my milk around workouts and pre-bed, if that matters at all.

AnyOldIron
03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I center all of my milk around workouts and pre-bed, if that matters at all.

it doesn't. milk sucks whenever you drink it. :D

Smack
03-29-2009, 06:33 PM
What's wrong with milk? I think it's an effective way ensure I get all my protein and calories required. I've never had any ill effects from drinking milk, except more muscle mass and stronger lifts.

Joe
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Milk only sucks if you don't tolerate it. Otherwise, it's awesome.

Smack
03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Joe.

Br0kenB
03-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I am unaware of any running inside jokes between AoI and Joe o__o.

Br0kenB
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Sunday, March 29th, 2009

Cardio:
- 60 minute LISS walk around neighborhood.

This has become my Sunday tradition.

AnyOldIron
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Milk only sucks if you don't tolerate it. Otherwise, it's awesome.

Joe I honestly believe it sucks even if you do 'appear' to tolerate it. Just because you're not getting stomach cramps or upsets, or acne or anything else, doesn't mean it's the best thing for you.

But, as I've said in the posts - it's an individual's choice. Personally if I wanted drinkable protein and calories I'd use raw eggs, they're much more anabolic than the truckload of lactose carbs you get with milk, and are more likely to keep you lean.

Most likely teenagers can get away with lots of milk of course, since they can get away with a lot of stuff.

Joe
03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Yea, you personally don't like it, but that doesn't mean it sucks. It has nutritional value and if I'm trying to gain weight it's definitely going to be in my diet, not out of it. I personally develop an intolerance to it if I drink too much of it, but when I can tolerate it it's great.

AnyOldIron
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Fair enough.

Smack
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Not to mention it's cheaper than eggs (which is a huge factor for me).

Br0kenB
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Workout 1:

Squat 3x5 [135]
Pull-Through 3x10 [100]
Bent Rows 4x6 [110]
Preacher Curl 3x8 [30] 1x8/1x6/1x4 (This sucked because I KNOW I can do these full).
Barbell Calf Raise 3x15 [105]

Br0kenB
03-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Cardio:
- 30 minutes 3.5 MPH walk

Diet has been clean for four straight days now. Just goes to show you what you can do when you really try, I suppose. My ass is killing me today from Squats, although they were light to some. I'm on an orange binge, shit is so cash.

Br0kenB
04-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Workout 2:

Bench Press 3x5 [120]
Incline Dumbbell Press 4x8 [40] 2x8, 1x6, 1x4
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [25]
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [40] 1x10, 1x7, 1x5
Hanging Leg Raise 3x10

I have a bit of a problem. My gym will be closed Saturday. When could I do Workout 3, Friday or Sunday?

Br0kenB
04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Bump? Help! Answer my old question?

vsvs
04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
idk, workout 3 is deads if i rmb, and 2 and 4 are both chest ...so either way?

Br0kenB
04-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I can go tomorrow if need be...or Sunday. Don't matter to me.

Br0kenB
04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, I guess I am going Sunday>Monday>Wednesday>Saturday this week...

Br0kenB
04-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Do I go tomorrow, or just resume with Workout 4 on Monday?

Br0kenB
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Workout 3:

3x5 Deadlift [225] PR!
2x10 Leg Press [230]
4x6 Lat Pull-down [120]
3x8 Preacher Curl [25]
3x15 Smith Calf Raises [60]

Did good, diet was alright, not enough protein. Going to fix that in a few hours, since I spent all day visiting family and eating sparingly =[. Will resume tomorrow morning with Workout 4!

Br0kenB
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Workout 4:

Incline BB Bench Press [100] 3x5 (This was a LOT easier this time around!)
Flat DB Bench Press [45, was feeling good] 1x8, 1x5 [40] 1x8, 1x7
DB Shoulder Press [30] 3x8
Overhead DB Extension [40] 1x8, 1x5 [35] 1x8
Hanging Leg Raises 3x15

Felt so energetic, then it all left me after the Shoulder Presses. PRs on everything except the Extensions.

Br0kenB
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Cardio:

- 30 minutes 3.5 mph walk.

Br0kenB
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
AoI? Where are you? There's nobody to check my diet and workouts anymore =[.

Br0kenB
04-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Workout 1:

Squat 3x5 [140] (Had to do these on the Smith today)
Pull-Throughs 3x10 [110]
Barbell Rows 4x6 [115]
Preacher Curls 3x10 [25]
Barbell Calf Raises 3x15 [115]

Samsuperjew
04-09-2009, 01:32 AM

qft?

Br0kenB
04-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Workout 2:

Flat Barbell Bench 3x5 [125] PR!
Incline Dumbbell Bench 4x8 [35 each hand]
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [30 each hand] 1x8/7/6
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [35]
Seated Crunch 1x12 [90]
Decline Sit-Up 2x12

Br0kenB
04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Workout 3:

Deadlift 3x5 [230] PR!
Leg Press 2x10 [190]
Lat Pulldown 4x6 [105]
Preacher Curl 3x8 [25]
Barbell Calf Raise 3x15 [80]

ThomasH
04-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice job on the PR!

Br0kenB
04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks a lot, ever since I started Deadlifts at 135 pounds in January, I've been able to add a lot more weight. Next week if I can get 235 3x5 I'll have added 100 pounds in about 4.5 months!

ThomasH
04-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Nice job bro, good luck!
Are you in the offseason now?

Br0kenB
04-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah, college next year.

Br0kenB
04-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Workout 4:
- Incline Bench Press 3 x 5 [105] PR! Easy, too...
- Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8 [40]
- Military Shoulder Press 3 x 8 [30]
- Overhead Dumbell Extension 3 x 10 [35]
- Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 15

ThomasH
04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Nice workout!
Have you committed to a college yet?

Br0kenB
04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, Buffalo State college, haha. D3. How about you?

ThomasH
04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Good job!
I have three seasons left before college so ill see how things go. I live in Canada so we get alot less scouting. I would love to go down and play anywhere in the states, or anywhere in Canada.

Br0kenB
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Come to Buffalo dawg, there's a few good programs around here. UB is on the way up.

Br0kenB
04-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Squat 3x5 [135] (This was all I felt I could put up today, failed with 145...Smith)
Pull-Through 3x10 [115]
Bent-over BB Rows 4x6 [100] (Lowered weight to perfect form, easier on my bad wrists)
Hammer Curls 3x8 [30]
Smith Calf Raise [120] (This put a lot of stress on my shoulders...)

Overall I can chalk this shitty workout up to not eating enough before going. I had half of a steak taco, then walked to the gym, then home. School starts again Monday, should be a lot easier for me to get back in the swing of things in class and in the gym, meal-wise.

ThomasH
04-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Come to Buffalo dawg, there's a few good programs around here. UB is on the way up.

I'll definitely look into it.

Br0kenB
04-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Workout 2;
Flat Barbell Bench 3x5 [130] PR!
Incline Dumbbell Bench 4x8 [40 each hand] PR!
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [30 each hand]
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [40] PR!
Abs: Too lazy.

Br0kenB
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Workout 3;
3x5 Deadlift [235] PR!
2x10 Leg Press [200]
4x6 Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown [110]
3x8 Seated Hammer Curl [30]
3x15 Barbell Calf Raise [135]

Joe
04-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Good work broken... you see. lifting and getting stronger isn't that hard :)

Br0kenB
04-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah man, not getting too big though. Fat gains are there, but I'm definitely loving the strength gains. Nonetheless, I still love lifting :). Thanks for the help and checking up.

Br0kenB
04-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Workout 4;
Incline BB Bench Press 3x5 [110] Last rep, last set was a grinder, took about 30 seconds...
Flat Bench DB Press 4x8 [45] Did them all, surprised myself.
Dumbbell Seated Shoulder Press 3x8 [30] Ready to move up in weight...
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [40] See above...
Abs: Will do 3x1 minute Planks later.

ThomasH
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Nice job!

Br0kenB
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Haha, thanks, still SO weak. May 1st is my six month mark of bulking up. I'll compare my lifts in this thread at that time.

Br0kenB
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Workout 1;
Squat 3x5 [145] (Smith Machine, Rack is always tied up...these felt great though. Much better than last week!)
Pull-Through 3x10 [120] (Still the most homosexual exercise...)
Dumbbell Rows 4x6 [140] (Easier on my wrists than BB Rows, my favorite exercise!)
Hammer Curls 3x8 [35] RIGHT ARM - 1x8, 1x7, 1x8 --- LEFT ARM 1x7, 1x4, 1x5
Hack Squat Calf Raise [135] (Wanted to switch it up...)

Best workout I have had in quite some time, comes on my least favorite day of the routine. Feels good man.

Br0kenB
04-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Workout 2;
Flat Bench Press [135] 3x5 (PR! FINALLY A PLATE!)
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press [45 each] 4x8 (2x8, 1x6, 1x4)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [35 each] 3x8 (1x8, 1x5, 1x4)
Overhead Dumbbell Extension [45] 3x10 (2x10, 1x8)
Planks 3xF

Post-workout Cardio: 20 minutes mixed speed on treadmill

Krol
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Good job on the PR. Keep it up man.

Joe
04-29-2009, 09:53 PM
awesome!!!!

Br0kenB
04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks. I remember in December I was hardly putting up 75 pounds on the bench... and the cool thing was, 135 felt kind of easy today... :). So happy with my progress.

Samsuperjew
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
that is some AWESOME progress

lookin great in here recently

Br0kenB
04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Haha, you really mean that?

Br0kenB
05-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Workout 3;
Deadlift 3x5 [240] PR!
Leg Press 2x10 [210]
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 4x6 [115]
Hammer Curl 1x8 [35] DID NOT COMPLETE
Preacher Curl 2x8 [30] DID NOT COMPLETE
Hack Squat Calf Raise 3x15 [180]

ktm_Wrench
05-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Nice PR! Congratulations! Now on to 245!

widding
05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Congrats with the PR:)

Br0kenB
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks boys, my DL goes up 5 pounds every week. It's awesome! I still get scared as shit standing above the bar on the ground, though. Luckily, I have perfect form.

My initial goal was 3x5 with 250 on the Deads before my birthday (July 3rd), but it looks like I will smash that goal sometime in the next few weeks. I don't know what to set goals at that will make me work and not come too easy. Any ideas given my current progress rate?

Br0kenB
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Workout 4:
- Incline Bench Press 3 x 5 [115] - Smashed 115 this week, unlike last week. -
- Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8 [45 each hand] - Had to convince myself last week was no fluke. -
- Military Shoulder Press 3 x 8 [35 each hand] - Slowly, getting easier... 1x8/7/5 -
- Overhead Dumbell Extension 3 x 10 [45] - See above... 2x10/1x8
- Planks (Regular/Regular/Side/Side) x F

Going to deload this week. Will work through each workout on a deload, then resume at the net Workout 1 with regular load.

Have a feeling I will thoroughly enjoy the deload.

Samsuperjew
05-04-2009, 07:29 PM
nice inclines man, and GL on the deload

Br0kenB
05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks. I have never done a deload before, any thought Sam? I saw WinterWolf bitching about a deload on bb.com =/ so I'm not too motivated atm.

I can't wait until my lifts are respectable =].

Samsuperjew
05-04-2009, 09:02 PM
there is nothing more respectable than good progress :)

Br0kenB
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Hah, well thanks man. I appreciate you following along since you seem to be pretty respected in bb interwebz sites.

Br0kenB
05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
DELOAD WEEK
Workout 1;
Squat 3x5 [120] EASY
Pull-Through 3x10 [95] EASY
DB Row 4x6 [55 each] EASY
Preacher Curl 3x8 [25] MODERATE
Hack Squat Calf Raise 3x15 [90] EASY / SPEED REPS

Deload suck. This was my first deload ever, and it feels like I didn't do shit. I'm upset.

10 minutes 3.0 incline / 10 minutes 4.0 incline @ 3.0 mph post-workout.

Br0kenB
05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
DELOAD WEEK, WORKOUT 2
Workout 2:
- Flat Bench Press 3 x 5 [115] EASY
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8 [35] EASY
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8 [30] EASY
- Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3 x 10 [35] EASY

Samsuperjew
05-09-2009, 03:16 PM
deloads suck, but gj on followin through with it

Br0kenB
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks Sam. It's half over, can't wait to go heavy (for me, at least) again.

Br0kenB
05-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Workout 3;
Deadlift 3x5 [195] MODERATE?!
Leg Press 2x10 [180] EASY
Lat Pulldown 4x6 [90] FEATHERS
Preachers 3x8 [25] KINDA TOUGH
Calves 3x20 [90] EASY

Cannot wait until this deload shit is over.

Br0kenB
05-13-2009, 07:32 PM
DELOAD WEEK
Workout 4;
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [95] SO EASY
Flat Dumbbell Bench 4x8 [35] ABOVE
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [30] MODERATE
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [35] EASY
Pull Ups 3xF

LIFTING HEAVY AGAIN ON SATURDAY WHOOOOO!

In other news, I might cut carbs a little. I'm consuming above 300 every day (always 50+ grams of fiber, though), but I want to try to get a little ripped. Maybe lower them to 150, 200 tops? What do you guys think?

Samsuperjew
05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
i cant really comment on cutting, as i've never done it, but congrats on followin through on your deload, and i'm sure your excited as hell for saturday

Br0kenB
05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Can't wait to feel all the normal weight on my back again, before a set of Squats...ahhh.

ThomasH
05-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Nice stuff- do you a football training camp or anything planned?

Br0kenB
05-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Not currently, I am just working out on my own as of right now.

Br0kenB
05-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Workout 1;
Squat 3x5 [150] PR!
Pull-Throughs 3x10 [125] PR!
Dumbbell Rows 4x6 [140] ---
EZ Bar Preacher Curls 3x8 [30] PR! I figured out my problem with these, and how to advance.
Hack Squat Calf Raise 3x15 [180]

Squats went up easy but they're so dam tiring. Going for more PRs next week, can't wait to BP heavy again on Monday. Keeping carbs around 150-200 the past few days, it's easy to control.

Joe
05-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Good work broken... You're doing everything very nicely... Are you keeping up with a few cardio sessions each week

Krol
05-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I had a dream last night that I was reading the journals on here and you suddenly wanted to start adding exercises and workout days to your routine. I'm glad that's not the case. Nice squats.

Br0kenB
05-16-2009, 04:28 PM
@ Joe - I actually do a lot of cardio, or at least, it feels like it. I really enjoy going on walks and I play a lot of football/basketball with my friends a few days a week. I also do 20 minutes of low intensity incline cardio after most of my workouts. Did not do it today, though.

@ Krol - LOL! That's funny man. Although...I will admit that sometimes at the end of my workouts I do a few sets of Pull-Ups to failure. I do them because a month ago I could not do them and now I can do sets of 5. They're an ego stroke to me. If that isn't okay I will stop them...

I appreciate your guys comments. My Squats are so weak compared to some but I have doubled what I can Squat since I have started.

Br0kenB
05-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Will someone check my FitDay from Saturday, earlier today? I tried something new with my diet and want to see how it is.

DOA
05-17-2009, 10:01 PM
u are making sum good progress come look at my journal sometime i am also doing the spbr
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21262

Br0kenB
05-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks a lot man.

Real excited to get back on the Flat Bench today, going for 140 3x5 which would be a new PR. I know I can do it and feel real good about it. I love how I am excited to lift each day. I've been making a real hard effort to decrease carbs and eat extremely clean the past few days, hopefully it'll start to pay off with a leaner physique.

Br0kenB
05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Workout 2;
Flat Bench Press [140] 2x5, 1x3
Incline DB Bench Press [45/e] 2x8, 2x5
DB Shoulder Press [35/e] 2x8, 1x6
Overhead DB Ext. [45] 2x10, 1x9 (OMG SO CLOSEEEE!)

Then played football for hours. I ate more carbs today than normal but I think I burnt them all out. Now I'm getting in some quality proteinz.

Br0kenB
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Workout 3;
Deadlift 3x5 [245] PR!
Leg Press 2x10 [230] PR!
Lat Pulldown 4x6 [120] PR!
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [30] - +5 next workout, this was easy as hell.
Calf Raises [225/225/135] PR!

Saw cute girl in gym again. Wish I could get a gauge on her age... damn.

Hit good PRs though and adding weight next time out.

Krol
05-20-2009, 06:23 PM
PRs on all exercises! Excellent! :D

Br0kenB
05-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, it was good stuff. I was putting on a show in my own head for this chick, haha.

ThomasH
05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Nice job hitting PRs, keep it up!

Br0kenB
05-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to go later on to do some cardio, then Workout 4 tomorrow. But if the gym is closed Monday, should I do Workout 1 on Sunday, or Tuesday?

Br0kenB
05-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Skipped the gym to play football for a few hours.

Br0kenB
05-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Workout 4;
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [120] PR!
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 4x8 [50/e] 1x8/4/5/0
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [35/e] PR!
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [45] PR!

Felt so sore but got some good PRs. Moving up in the weights next time out.

Br0kenB
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
But if the gym is closed Monday, should I do Workout 1 on Sunday, or Tuesday?

Gyms closed tomorrow. Today or Tuesday?

ThomasH
05-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice job hitting prs again! Go with how you feel.

Br0kenB
05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks man. And I feel very good right now, not sore at all, so I guess I will go later today since it's a boring Sunday.

DOA
05-24-2009, 12:47 PM
man you are doing very good u should upload a picture of yourself everyonce and a while

crusher777777
05-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Looks like you've made some good progress. Keep up the good work.

Br0kenB
05-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Workout 1;
Squat 3x5 [155] PR! (These were so tough...)
Pull-Through 3x10 [130] PR! (Easy as fuck!)
Dumbbell Rows 4x6 (140) -- (Easier this week!)
EZ Bar Preacher Curl [35] 3x8/8/5 (Sick, moving up!)
Hack Squat Calves [270] 3x15 (Hold on last rep)

Saw two of my good buddies there and made a new one through spotting, haha. Weights were tougher to move today, but two days of rest should help for next time out. I think I am going to do a June cut (1 month) for graduation and prom, then resume my bulk in July. Thoughts?

@ xfactor - I would but I am supremely embarassed of my body and my skin.
@ crusher - Thanks man, hows the benching been lately? That's such a sick routine, I wish I had comps to prepare for.

Br0kenB
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I think I might go again today... don't know, just feel like lifting. I have plans tomorrow night (Senior class dinner) and don't want to go in after working out, so I might do Workout 2 today since I am not busy whatsoever.

Br0kenB
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Workout 2;
Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [140] 1x5/3/3 (Awful...)
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press [45/e] 1x8/8/8/5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [40/e] 1x8/5/3
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 1x10/7/5

Awful day in the gym, overall. Bad lifts, probably due to my busy weekend and lack of sleep. I've only had 1 day of recovery in the last four days. I wish the gym wasn't closed last Monday. What I'll do to fix it is go Thurs/Sat/Mon/Weds and then resume after that, I guess.

ThomasH
05-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice job, strength is coming along nicely :)!

Br0kenB
05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Workout 3 (yesterday);
Deadlift 3x5 [250] 2x5, 1x3 =[
Leg Press 2x10 2x10 [220]
Lat Pulldown 4x6 [125]
DB Preachers [30] R 3x8, L 2x8, 1x7

Br0kenB
05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Workout 4;
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [125] PR!
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 4x8 [50/e] 2x8, 2x5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [40/e] 1x8/7/5
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [50] 1x10/9/7

I have started doing stationary bike HIIT after every weight session to try to cut some fat. I'll see how it influences my lifts for a little while but so far all is good, I can handle all of it. I'm going to post my lift comparisons here in a little bit, since June 1 is my 6 month anniversary of eating and lifting seriously :).

Br0kenB
05-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Working Set increases (not maxes), December 1 to June 1.
SQUAT: 75 lbs. to 165 lbs. (+90 POUNDS!)
BENCH PRESS: 75 lbs. to 140 lbs. (+65 POUNDS!)
DEADLIFT: 85 lbs. to 250 lbs. (+165 POUNDS!)
ROWS: 80 lbs. to 140 lbs. (+60 POUNDS!)
DB EXTENSION: 30 lbs. to 50 lbs. (+20 POUNDS)

Damn, that's motivating.

Samsuperjew
05-31-2009, 04:18 PM
fuck, thats some impressive progress man!

300 lbs on your total in less than 6 months!!!

Awesome work

Br0kenB
05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks Sam! I posted my progression at bb.com too but nobody seemed to care, haha.

Krol
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Nice job man! Simple routines do work! :D

ThomasH
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice job-- doubled or tripled some of your lifts!

Smack
05-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks Sam! I posted my progression at bb.com too but nobody seemed to care, haha.

That's because the majority of people at bb.com are morons that only care about getting their question answered by some skinny teenage guru who got his vast wealth of knowledge passed down to him by the previous generation of skinny teenage gurus, ad infinitum until we go right back to Joe Weider and Arnold's Encyclopedia.

Don't worry if they don't care. The nice folks here care and you did good. You should feel good about yourself.

Br0kenB
05-31-2009, 09:11 PM
That's because the majority of people at bb.com are morons that only care about getting their question answered by some skinny teenage guru who got his vast wealth of knowledge passed down to him by the previous generation of skinny teenage gurus, ad infinitum until we go right back to Joe Weider and Arnold's Encyclopedia.

Don't worry if they don't care. The nice folks here care and you did good. You should feel good about yourself.

That's cool of you to say. Thanks a lot, never thought I'd get that type of response :).

THANKS EVERYONE! I'll do a measurement comparison tomorrow for teh lulz.

Br0kenB
06-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, today was odd. I went to back Squat and I couldn't find a pad. And then I couldn't get 160 even half of the way. I don't know what happened but it made me realize how much I fucking hate Squats. So now I am quitting back Squats forever, they're such a pain in the ass and the only part I totally hate about lifting.

So I tried Front Squats and Leg Presses to fill in for them this week. Heavy Leg Presses and light Front Squats. I'm going to use Front Squats for everything now.

Workout 1;
Leg Press 3x5 [250] PR!
Front Squat 3x5 [95] PR! (EASY!)
Pull-Throughs 3x10 [135]
Dumbbell Rows 4x6 [80/e] PR! (Bad form, no 75 pound DBs in my gym... trying to figure out a way to make a 75 pound DB)
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [35] 8/8/6 (PR!)
Hack Squat Calf Raise [360] 3x15 (Put WAYYY too much pressure on my back...)

Fucking angry.

Samsuperjew
06-01-2009, 08:58 PM
are those one of the approved subs?

and i know what your sayin about back squats... there was a time where 160 would put me into pain, even with the pad.... but i just manned up and did it... and can now hold 450+ on my back and barely feel the bar (although, i do feel the weight!)

Br0kenB
06-01-2009, 09:58 PM
It just puts so much pressure on me, it's so uncomfortable both free and on the Smith. Front feels better but I'll check the subs. I don't have a pad for it, I can't imagine it'd help. It's the weight, not the bar.

Yeah, it says I can FS to sub. Hopefully it's better for me.

Br0kenB
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Workout 2;
Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [140] Assisted on set 3, rep 5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press [45/e] 1x8/8/6/5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [40/e] 1x5 (Felt so heavy...) [35] 1x6/5
Overhead Dumbbell Extension [50] 1x10/7/5

20 minutes HIIT cardio post-workout

This was an awful workout. All downhill after my Bench Press PR. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me lately, I can't move any weights. I am going to take the next two days off, make sure I am eating at the right times, and get enough sleep. This half assed work has me so angry.

Samsuperjew
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
bad workouts happen man....... i cant really give you advice, but just wondering, when was the last time you did a full deload?

Krol
06-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Hopefully you'll be in full swing next workout.

Do you play poker?

Br0kenB
06-03-2009, 09:34 PM
bad workouts happen man....... i cant really give you advice, but just wondering, when was the last time you did a full deload?

Fully deloaded in mid May, I think? I did it very recently.

@ Krol - Yep, I play lots of Poker. A bit of a noob, though. D'you know me from 2+2?

ThomasH
06-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I hear you about the pad. After I stopped using it for a while though My back got used too the weight and my squat went up faster too.

Krol
06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Fully deloaded in mid May, I think? I did it very recently.

@ Krol - Yep, I play lots of Poker. A bit of a noob, though. D'you know me from 2+2?

Yeah, I saw your thread. I play a little myself but haven't played for a while. I'm slowly trying to get back into it.

Br0kenB
06-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Workout 3:
- Deadlift 3 x 5 [250] PR!
- Leg Press 2 x 10 [230] PR!
- Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6 [130] PR!
- Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 [35] 8/8/5
- Calf Raises 3 x 15 [180]

klarko
06-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you had a good workout :)

Br0kenB
06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I did, for the most part. My friend wanted to leave halfway through cardio, so I did, but then I went for a long walk later.

I think I'll go for another walk today... my legs are tired though, so maybe very light on the speed.

ThomasH
06-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice lifts 3 PRS :)!

Br0kenB
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Workout 4;
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [125] PR!
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 4x8 [50/e] 3x8/5 PR!
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [40/e] 8/6/4
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [50] 10/9/6 PR!

20 Min. LISS cardio

Br0kenB
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Weight has been at 176 forever, lifts increasing every week. Assuming I'm recomping nicely?

ThomasH
06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice lifting bro!

Br0kenB
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Workout 1:
Front Squat <3 3x5 [115] PR! (Easy, movin' up next week, +20? LOVE THESE!)
Pull-Through 3x10 [140] PR! (Kinda wanna switch to SLDLs)
DB Rows 4x6 [80/e] (No 75 pound DB, so will continue with 80s until form is perfect, currently lacking a little)
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [35] 8/6/5 (Kind of stalled)

Had to go quick, friends wanted to chill, still hit some decent PRs though. Looking to advance quickly in FS.

StickToYourGuns
06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Awesome job on the PR's man! I think im gonna try front squats next time instead of leg press.

Br0kenB
06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Front Squats are amazingly fun.

Br0kenB
06-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Workout 2;
Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [150] 3x3, (Hopefully is easier next week...)
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press [45/e] 4x8 PR! (Movin' up!)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [40/e] 3x8 PR! (Movin' up again!)
Overhead Dumbbell Extension [50] 3x8/9/6 (Was SO tired from PRs, haha)

20 minutes LISS cardio

Lots of PRs this time out, hopefully BB Bench gets easier, but a good workout for my morale.

Br0kenB
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Workout 3:
- Deadlift 3 x 5 [255] PR!
- Leg Press 2 x 10 [235] PR!
- Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6 [135] PR!
- Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 [35] 8/8/7 PR!

TheBrewerman
06-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Workout 3:
- Deadlift 3 x 5 [255] PR!
- Leg Press 2 x 10 [235] PR!
- Chin or lat pull-down 4 x 6 [135] PR!
- Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 [35] 8/8/7 PR!

No PR on the calf raises? Quit slacking! :D

Br0kenB
06-15-2009, 02:12 PM
LMAO! Sorry! I got new shoes and I didn't wanna fuck them up too bad with the calves. Plus my calves are my best body part anyway so meh... I'll hit them with 800 next time, just for you.

Br0kenB
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm switching my diet to TCD at maintenance calories (3000). Hoping to shed fat.

Workout 4;
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [130] PR!
Flat Dumbbell Bench 4x8 [50/e] 8/8/8/6
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8 [45/e] 4/2/3
Overhead DB Ext. [50] 7/6/7

Br0kenB
06-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I need 1000 more calories today! This diet is tough.

Br0kenB
06-19-2009, 12:29 AM
TCD is some good stuff. No carbs but always full!

Br0kenB
06-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Workout 1;
Front Squat 3x5 [125] PR!
SLDL 3X10 [95] PR!
Chest-Supported Row 4x6 [95] PR!
H ammer Curl 3x8 [35/e] 8/7/4 PR!

Trying some new lifts... cool. Carb-up tomorrow! OMNOMNOM

Br0kenB
06-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Carbed up, did not go crazy, back on it tomorrow.

Br0kenB
06-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Workout 2;
Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [150] 4/2/3 (Still heavy...) PR
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press [50/e] 8/7/4/3 PR! (Heavier, should have fully soon) PR
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [45/e] 6/3/2 (Heavy as fuck!) PR
Overhead Dumbbell Extension [50] 10/10/6 (Getting easier) PR

Br0kenB
06-22-2009, 05:21 PM
double post, mah bad.

Br0kenB
06-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Lost a pound and a half this week... cool.

Cutting, by the way.

Smack
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Workout 2;
Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [150] 4/2/3 (Still heavy...) PR
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press [50/e] 8/7/4/3 PR! (Heavier, should have fully soon) PR
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [45/e] 6/3/2 (Heavy as fuck!) PR
Overhead Dumbbell Extension [50] 10/10/6 (Getting easier) PR

It seems like on a lot of your assistance lifts you're using a weight too heavy because you aren't getting all reps. I did that as well because I forgot to dump my ego at the door, and it really fucked up my progress. IA has wrote articles on this as well.

Br0kenB
06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
It seems like on a lot of your assistance lifts you're using a weight too heavy because you aren't getting all reps. I did that as well because I forgot to dump my ego at the door, and it really fucked up my progress. IA has wrote articles on this as well.

I'm not getting them all on the first try. I've done the entire routine like:

Example:

Week 1 - 130 pound BP 3x5, all complete

Week 2 - 135 pound BP, 1x5/3/2, not complete

Week 3 - 135 pound BP, 1x5/4/4, not complete

Week 4 - 135 pound BP, 3x5, all complete

That's how I have been progressing. I use the heavier weight until I get them all up. If I fail one week I try again the next. And it is working every time because I am progressing quickly in most lifts and I get stronger every week. So I don't get what I am doing wrong?

Smack
06-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I was talking about assistance lifts. Getting 6/3/2 when you're aiming for (if you're using IA's sets and rep schemes) 8/8/8 obviously shows the weight is far too heavy. As I said, that was my mistake too, trying to lift too heavy.

Br0kenB
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
But those lifts are going up weekly too, until I hit all the reps and increase again. They don't just remain the same there.

ThomasH
06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
What weight are you hoping to be for the season?

Br0kenB
06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
What weight are you hoping to be for the season?

I can't play this season due to academic ineligibility. So for the 2010 season I'm hoping to be around 190.

Br0kenB
06-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Workout 3;
Deadlift 3x5 [260] PR!
Leg Press 2x10 [240] PR!
Lat Pulldown 4x6 [140] PR!
EZ Bar Preacher Curl [35] 8/8/5

20 minutes LISS cardio

Br0kenB
06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Epic carb up today. Feel bloated and fat but hopefully I have awesome energy in the gym tomorrow. About 400 gs.

Br0kenB
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Workout 4;
Incline Barbell Bench Press [135] 5/4/4
Dumbbell Bench [50/e] 8/8/5/5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press [45/e] 4/2 [40/e] 4
Overhead DB Ext. [50] 10/7/7

Strength lacking today.

ThomasH
06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I can't play this season due to academic ineligibility. So for the 2010 season I'm hoping to be around 190.

Ohh, can you still practice with the team and stuff?

Br0kenB
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
No, not this year.

Br0kenB
06-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Workout 1;
Front Squat 3x5 [135] PR!
SLDL 3x10 [135] PR!
Chest-Supported Row 4x6 [100] PR!
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [35] PR!

Br0kenB
07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm not posting my workout today, it was pitiful. Every time I try to cut, all of my mass and strength leaves me. I do everything by the book and my body type just drops all of my gains right from me. It is so damn irritating getting strong and bigger, but not being able to get rid of the damn stomach fat. I guess I am just going to continue recomposition, hoping my problem fixes itself. I might need a routine, this one is getting stale. I am going to do this though... looking for a three day split.

BMR - ~2900 Calories (maintenance)
Bulking Days - ~3200 calories (about 300 g/ protein, 300 g/ carbs, 70 g/ fat daily)
Cutting Days - ~ 2900 calories (about 290 g/ protein, 290 g/ carbs, 64 g/ fat daily)

Routine -

Sunday - OFF
Monday - Lifting / 20 minutes moderate intensity cardio / bulking day diet
Tuesday - No lifting / 30 - 45 minutes LISS cardio / cutting day diet
Wednesday - Lifting / 20 minutes moderate intensity cardio / bulking day diet
Thursday - No lifting / 30 - 45 minutes LISS cardio / cutting day diet
Friday - Lifting / 20 minutes moderate intensity cardio / bulking day diet
Saturday - Cardio / No cardio, depending on recovery status

Diet will be clean as always, has been clean for months. Hoping for maximum strength gains and some mass gains.
Ultimately looking for fat loss.

Should I keep with SPBR? Can someone help me?

Br0kenB
07-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Can anyone stop and tell me if that looks good?

ThomasH
07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
You have been hitting PRs most workouts, why not just stick with it?

Br0kenB
07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I still have high bf.

Br0kenB
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Switching to M-W-F days. Deadlift stalling fast.

Workout 3;
Deadlift 3x5 [270] 1/1 [265] 1/1
Leg Press 2x10 [240] PR!
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 4x6 [142.5] PR!
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [40] 8/5/4 PR!

Br0kenB
07-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Workout 4;
Incline BB Bench [115] 3x5
DB Bench [45/e] 8/8/8/5
DB Shoulder Press [40/e] 8/4/5
Overhead DB Ext. [45] 10/7/7

Strength way down since my 3 week fail cut. Bulking for good on 3300 calories. Time to get strong.

Br0kenB
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Workout 1;
Front Squat 3x5 [140] PR!
SLDL 3x10 [145] PR!
Chest-Supported Row 4x6 [100]
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [40] 8/5/5

Br0kenB
07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Workout 2;
Bench Press 3x5 [135]
Incline DB Bench Press 4x8 [40/e]
Dumbbell Shoulders Press 3x8 [35/e]
Overhead DB Ext. 3x10 [45] 10/10/9

Br0kenB
07-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Workout 3;
Deadlift 3x5 [265] PR!
Leg Press 2x10 [250] PR!
WG Lat-Pull 4x6 [150] PR!
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 [40] 8/6/5 PR!

Br0kenB
07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Workout 4;
Incline BB Bench [120] 3x5
DB Bench [45/e] 8/8/8/7
DB Shoulder Press [40/e] 8/5/5
Overhead DB Ext. [45] 10/10/9

This is my last day on this routine, as it is boring me and the gains are slowing since my fail cut. I will post how I have progressed on this routine, and I will also need help searching for another program to begin on Monday.

Grixxly
07-18-2009, 11:22 AM
What were your total increase in gains and the length of time?

Br0kenB
07-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Minimum of 35 lbs on BB Bench, DL, Squat and Incline BB... no more than 45.

TheBrewerman
07-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Any idea what you're doing next?

Br0kenB
07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
WS4SB. This week I am taking off since I have not taken a week off since January.

Br0kenB
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
DAY 1, WS4SB

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [140] +
Incline DB Bench Press 4x8 [40/e] +
Seated Cable Row 3x10 [135/130/130] +
Standing Face Pulls 3x10 [45] +
Dumbbell Side Bends (using Kettlebell) 3x12 [50] +

Felt so good to train again after my week off, weight went up easy enough, strength returning nicely since my mini fail-cut. Wednesday I destroy Legs.

Br0kenB
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah... I am quitting training legs.

TheBrewerman
07-31-2009, 12:21 AM

Elaborate...I am puzzled

Br0kenB
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
I just hate doing it. I really fucking hate training legs. My knees always hurt and my legs are fine as they are... I don't have chicken legs. I am just going to run.

Br0kenB
07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
On my own custom split now.

Power Clean 3x5 [115]
Barbell Seated Shoulder Press 4x6 [85]
Upright Barbell Row 3x8 [65]
Barbell Shrugs 3x12 [95]

Br0kenB
08-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Monday: Chest and Triceps

Flat Barbell Bench Press 3x5
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4x8
Hammer Strength Chest Machine 3x10
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10
Tricep Rope Pushdown 2x12

Wednesday: Back and Biceps

Chin-Ups 3xF
Seated Row 3x10
Dumbbell Row 3x8
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 2x6
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8

Friday: Shoulders, Traps and Abs

Power Clean 3x5
Barbell Seated Shoulder Press 4x6
Upright Barbell Row 3x8
Barbell Shrugs 3x12
Kettlebell Side Bends 3x12
Weighted Ab Machine 3x12

Made this myself based on what I have progressed from.

Smack
08-01-2009, 02:52 PM
What the?

Br0kenB
08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Made that, don't care if it sucks, I like to do every single one of those movements and it'll keep me going to the gym.

Br0kenB
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 (125)
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press 4x8 (45)
Hammer Strength Chest Machine 3x8 (60)
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 (45)
Tricep Rope Pushdown 2x12 (35)

Br0kenB
08-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Chin-Ups 3xF [8/5/4]
Seated Row 3x10 [125]
Dumbbell Row 3x8 [55]
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 2x6 [135]
EZ Bar Preacher Curl 3x8 DID NOT DO, WAS RIDICULOUSLY EXHAUSTED

Br0kenB
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Power Cleans 3x5 [120]
Standing Military Press 4x6/6/4/7 (3 forced reps) [90]
Upright Row 3x8 [65]
Smith Shrugs 3x12 [105]
Dumbbell Side Bends 3x12 [45/e]
Weighted Crunches 3x12 [15]

ThomasH
08-08-2009, 11:01 PM

Not a good idea...
I know firsthand that if you don't train legs (much) and gain a decent amount of weight you will get slower.

Br0kenB
08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Not a good idea...
I know firsthand that if you don't train legs (much) and gain a decent amount of weight you will get slower.

That's fine, I'm doing sprints and plyometrics to compensate.

On a side note, my obliques fucking KILL today, omg! Side bends.......

Br0kenB
08-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [130]
Flat Dumbbell Press 4x8 [50/e] 8/8/7/5
Hammer Strength Chest Press 3x8 [65]
Overhead Dumbbell Extension 3x10 [45] 10/9/7
Tricep Rope Pushdowns 2x12 [40]

Br0kenB
08-15-2009, 12:46 PM
From Thursday:
Chin Ups 8/6/6
Dumbbell Rows 3x8 [55]
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 2x6 [150]
Cable Row 3x10 [130]

Today:
Power Clean 3x5 [125]
Seated Military Press 4x6 [90]
Upright Row 3x8 [70]
Smith Shrugs 3x12 [115]
Kettlebell Side Bends 3x12 [50]
Weighted Decline Crunches 3x12 [20]

Today's workout kicked ass, PR'd everything.

Br0kenB
08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I am starting over tomorrow on a new routine and a clean diet. I don't know exactly how much I will eat per day, as I don't really have a goal in mind. Want to lose fat and get stronger. Guess I will test different shit out but until then, I need a 4-day routine now that I have finished SPBR. Am willing to Squat/Dead again.

Br0kenB
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Monday, 8/24:
- Barbell Bench Press (135) 3x5
- Incline Barbell Bench Press (135) 2x5, 1x4
- Seated Machine Bench Press (80) 2x8, 1x7
- Dumbbell Pullover (40) 2x10
- 35 minutes football conditioning
- 2500 calories

Tuesday, 8/25:
- Leg Extension (60) 4x8 [I used this as a light warm-up for my Squat]
- Smith Squat (150/145/145) 3x5
- Stiff-Legged Deadlift (165) 4x8
- Leg Press Calf Raises (270) 3x15 [Hold on last rep]
- 5 minutes Stationary bike
- 2500 calories

Br0kenB
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
From Friday, 8/28:
Pull Ups 3 x 7/5/4
Barbell Rows [95] 4x6
V-Bar Pulldown [105] 3x10
Cable Curls [70] 3x8

From Saturday, 8/29:
Seated Military Press [95] 4x6
Upright Row [75] 3x8/8/7
Arnold Press [25] 4x8
Overhead Dumbbell Ext. [45] 3x10
Smith Shrugs 3x12 [125]

Br0kenB
08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [140]
Incline Barbell Bench Press 3x5 [130]
Machine Bench Press 3x8 [80] 1x8 [85]
EZ Bar Pullover 2x10 [45]
20 minutes 3.5 MPH 3.5 Incline

Whichever barbell lift I do second is always fucking weaker =/. I'll switch them each week I suppose.

Br0kenB
09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Tuesday, September 1st
- Leg Extension [70] 4x8 (light warm-up)
- Smith Squat [150] 1x5/5/2.5
- SLDL [175] 3x10
- Barbell Calf Raise [135] 3x15

Br0kenB
09-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Thursday, September 3rd:
- Pull-Ups 7/5/4
- Barbell Rows 4x6 [115]
- Dumbbell Rows 3x8 [55]
- V Bar Pulldowns 3x10 [105] 10/10/7
- Cable Rows 3x10 [120]
- 20 minutes 3.5 MPH 3.8 Incline