PDA

View Full Version : Virgilscrony's Training Log

VirgilsCrony
03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey, my name’s Mike: I'm eighteen and just began exercising (for the past two years my life has been very sedentary), so I've decided to keep an exercise journal online to track my progress.

My training equipment consists of an Olympic bench press (its weight capacity is 750 lbs.), a 7 ft. Olympic barbell (its weight capacity is 500 lbs.), and 250 lbs. of Olympic plates. The Olympic bench press turns into a dip and squat station, and since I workout alone, I bought safety stands (http://newyorkbarbells.com/93015.html). I also have wrist straps and a dipping belt.

I’m 5’ 11’’, 165 lbs and around 10 to 12 percent body fat. I suppose that I am an ectomorph/endomorph (perhaps a 70/30 percent ratio): fat deposits a lot around my lower abdominal wall and hips. Here are two recent photographs of me:

http://fc28.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/026/9/1/Progress_Pictures_by_Ellingsworth.png

My bodybuilding goal, moreover, is 185 to 190 lbs. at 7-8 percent body fat. I do not want to be huge; I just want a healthy and muscular physique—like Nick Auger's, Christian Bale’s in “American Psycho." Everyone has his own goals and ideals of aesthetics. Perhaps when I’m older I will want to be bigger. Weightlifting—to me, of course—is a fun hobby like chess, nothing more.

My weightlifting stats at the moment (these aren’t one repetition maxes):

• Dips: 45 lbs.
• Flat Bench Press: 145 lbs.
• Incline Bench Press: 155 lbs.
• Squat: 140 lbs.
• Deadlift: 200 lbs.
• Rack Deadlift (above knees): 200 lbs.
• Military Press: 110 lbs.
• Bent Over Barbell Rows: 115 lbs.
• Barbell Curls: 80 lbs.
• Chin-ups/Pull-ups: 25 lbs.

Current supplements (cannot take a multivitamin):

Fish oil: 5 grams (pills)
Zinc: 50 mg
B-Complex 50
Vitamin E: 400 IU
Vitamin C: 1,500 mg
EAS/Whey

P.S. I dislike arguments and fighting. Treat me with respect, and I’ll return the gratitude. Thank you.

VirgilsCrony
03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Just started IA’s “A Simple Power Based Routine” again (minus leg presses because I workout at home).

Walking: 5 minutes (3 miles an hour, incline [10])

Pull-ups: 4x6 (body weight); adding 5 lbs next week.

Rack Deadlifts (above knees): 1x10 (bar), 1x5 (65 lbs), 1x5 (95 lbs), 1x3 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 1x1 (185 lbs), 2x5 (200 lbs). New PR.

Calf Raises: 1x15 (135 lbs), 3x15 (185 lbs).

Barbell Curls: 1x4 (bar), 1x8 (65 lbs), 3x8 (70 lbs). Was tough, but doable. Managed to add 5 lbs. New PR.

Walking: 5 minutes (3 miles an hour, incline [10])

After the main workout I usually feel too exhausted to do any heavy abdominal work, so I’ll have to do that on my rest days or weekends (Saturday).

Post workout meal: chicken, peppers, etc. Protein shake: 2 scoops of whey and 1 cup of orange juice.

VirgilsCrony
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Been stressed, didn't get enough food today to fuel a workout, strength was down a bit.

Today's workout:

Incline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x4 (65 lbs), 1x2 (95 lbs), 1x1 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 3x3 (145 lbs).

Flat Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x4 (65 lbs), 1x3 (95 lbs), 1x1 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 1x1 (165 lbs), 2x8 (145 lbs), 1x6 (145 lbs), 1x7 (140 lbs).

Military Press: 1x5 (bar), 1x3 (65 lbs), 1x8 (80 lbs), 1x7 (80 lbs), 1x8 (75 lbs).

Skull Crushers: 1x5 (bar), 1x9 (70 lbs), 2x10 (65 lbs).

VirgilsCrony
03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Been traveling a lot, came home Saturday, and flat benched pressed till I reached my 1 repetition max, resuming ASPBR Monday (may switch to IA's two-day-a-week routine, though, so that I can allow myself more recovery days):

Flat Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x4 (65 lbs), 2x2 (95 lbs), 1x2 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135), 1x1 (165 lbs), 1x1 (185 lbs).

VirgilsCrony
04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Been working out with a friend at a gym, so I haven't been using my home equipment as much. Fun to take a break and see what all the other gym equipment does.

We went Monday and I wanted to try some decline bench pressing since I've never had a chance to try it. Most of the workout was experimenting and jumping around to different stuff.

Standing Military Press (went for my 1 rep max): 1x5 (bar), 1x4 (65 lbs), 1x8 (80 lbs), 1x1 (90 lbs), 1x1 (95 lbs), 1x1 (105 lbs), 1x1 (115 lbs).

Felt good. Was able to get one slow, but good, rep with 115 lbs.

Decline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x4 (65 lbs), 2x2 (95 lbs), 1x1 (115 lbs), 1x6 (145 lbs), 1x1 (155 lbs), 1x1 (165 lbs), 1x1 failed (185 lbs).

Edit: worked on front squats, too. Kept the weight at 135 lbs so I could work on form. Getting better at them I think.

Did a bunch of other stuff, too. But it's not worth mentioning. Might resume ASPBR Wednesday.

Gonna grab some sushi post workout from now on. My buddy got me into it and I'm addicted to it now. Tastes amazing.

slyfox115
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Looks good in here so far V. Whats your diet like at the moment? With your current bodyfat you have the opportunity to increase your calories to put some mass on. Once you develop the proper for for the exercises, focus on getting as strong as you can on those lifts, and the mass will come with it.

VirgilsCrony
04-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Looks good in here so far V. Whats your diet like at the moment? With your current bodyfat you have the opportunity to increase your calories to put some mass on. Once you develop the proper for for the exercises, focus on getting as strong as you can on those lifts, and the mass will come with it.

Thanks for the advice, slyfox. Greatly appreciated.

Awhile ago I was registering everything in Fitday. But I stopped for a bit.

At the moment, I eat every 2-3 hours that I'm awake, about 30 grams of protein each meal--sometimes less sometimes more.

Post workout I take in a huge shake: 2 (?) tablespoons of jiffy peanut butter (or natural), 2 scoops of whey, 2 raw eggs, 1 cup of chocolate milk and a few other things: Usually comes out to 70 grams of protein, 700 calories, etc.

I'm making small but slow muscular gains (triceps are a bit bigger, shoulders, too, same with my chest), so I guess I'm getting enough, although I should really start logging everything at Fitday. Definitely need to bump my protein intake up a little bit.

Strength gains are coming along nicely too, some things slower than others, though.

Resting today, entire body is still sore from my last workout, gonna recover and resume workouts probably tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again for showing support man. Appreciate it.

VirgilsCrony
04-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Chins: 1x6 (20 lbs), 1x5 (20 lbs), 1x4 (15 lbs), 1x6 (10 lbs).

20 lbs was too much: 10 lbs should have been the weight I used this time, so depending on how I feel, next workout I'll either stay at 10 lbs or go for 15 lbs.

Deadlifts: 1x5 (135 lbs), 1x5 (155 lbs), 1x5 (190 lbs). New PR! (I've pulled 200 lbs for high rack deads, but have never pulled 190 lbs from the floor.)

Once I get to 200 lbs, I'm going to buy a belt.

Gonna do abs Saturday. That's all I could get done tonight, had to go out.

Gonna rest the weekend then hit it hard Monday.

Samsuperjew
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
nice workout man, when you get your belt, DO NOT get it from the manufacturer (inzer direct etc) buy from like apt, or another distributor, the shipping/customer service is awesome

apfroggy0408
04-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Good stuff going on here. Will be watching.

VirgilsCrony
04-07-2009, 04:28 AM
nice workout man, when you get your belt, DO NOT get it from the manufacturer (inzer direct etc) buy from like apt, or another distributor, the shipping/customer service is awesome

Thanks for the heads up, man.

Good stuff going on here. Will be watching.

Thank you.

Lower back is killing me from deadlifts (bad pain). Can barely move around. I really need to hire someone to teach me perfect form on these as I cannot seem to nail it no matter how much I read or watch about it:

Just gets so frustrating after a while. Going to stay away from deadlifts for a while and get my back checked out.

When I get better I'm going to focus on more cardio and lighter lifting until I feel comfortable around a barbell again. Dropping squats and deads until I can find a competent person to instruct me on proper form. Only have one spine, scary stuff.

:thumbsdown:

VirgilsCrony
04-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Back is feeling a tad better; however, it is still messed up. Bought a heat wrap, which seems to be helping.

This week my dermatologist increased my dosage of accutane to 40 mg a day (I'm on my fourth month).

At the moment, since I cannot take a multivitamin because of accutane, I am taking the following:

Fish oil: 5 grams (pills)
Zinc: 50 mg
B-Complex 50
Vitamin E: 400 IU
Vitamin C: 1,500 mg

Accutane drastically dampens muscle recovery time, so I'm switching to a two-a-week routine for a few weeks - perhaps months; I'll be using something similar to IA's two-a-week routine; however, I modified it around my current injury:

Monday:

Bench Press (decline or flat): 2-3 x 6-8

Incline Press: 2 x 10-12

Military Press: 2-3 x 3-8

Skull Crushers: 3 x 10

Heavy Abdominals: 3 x 12

Thursday:

Dips: 2-3 x 6-8 [added since I cannot do deadlifts or squats at the moment]

Pull-ups or Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or 4 x 6

Barbell Row 2-3 x 8

Barbell Bicep Curl 3 x 8

Heavy Abdominals: 3 x 12

Squats: 2 x 10 [Will not be able to perform for a few weeks]

Deadlifts: 1 x 10 [Will not be able to perform for a few weeks]

VirgilsCrony
04-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Had a good day today. Wanted to start my new routine lightly because of my back:

5 minute warm-up on the treadmill and 5 minutes stretches afterwards:

Dips: 1x3 (body weight), 1x2 (10 lbs), 1x2 (25 lbs), 1x2 (35 lbs), 3x6 (45 lbs).

New PR on dips! Felt weird... Just a month ago 35 felt impossible, but after taking a break from them and coming back I'm even stronger on them than I was before.

Going for 50 lbs next week.

Chin-ups: 1x6 (negatives), 1x1 (body weight), 3x6 (15 lbs).

Barbell Curl: 2x8 (65 lbs), 1x6 (55 lbs).

No bent over rows because of my back...

Overall it was a quick but awesome workout. The less volume and days I train I notice the better I get results and the bigger I get. So much for training 6 days a week. lol

Accutane is killing my body, though. shit is rough

:splat:

apfroggy0408
04-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Awesome stuff dude. I'd say you just keep watching for form and keep watching. Have you seen the articles for deadlift form?

VirgilsCrony
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Awesome stuff dude. I'd say you just keep watching for form and keep watching. Have you seen the articles for deadlift form?

Thanks brother.

Actually, I had been deadlifting fine before reading that one article which was recently posted. I read it a few times, went over it, then headed to the gym and tried some deadlifts, that's when I hurt my back.

Almost completely better, though.

Gonna start incorporating the deads and squats very lightly next week until I master form.

I'll check out some of the other articles before I attempt them again

Goal for dips is 75-100 lbs plus body weight for 3-4 sets of 10 reps. Don't really feel the need to go heavier than that for the type of physique I want, maybe that'll change though. lol Next week I def will be able to hit 50 lbs! (just gotta watch being too aggressive with weight increases on them) goals for other lifts im not too sure of at the moment...

VirgilsCrony
04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Today went okay.

Walking: 5 minutes. 5 minutes stretching.

Flat Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x3 (95 lbs), 1x2 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 1x1 (145 lbs), 2x5 (150 lbs).

Incline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x3 (95 lbs), 1x2 (115 lbs), 2x8 (125 lbs), 1x3 (135 lbs).

These have been terrible on me; don't know how to do these without hurting myself, might end up just throwing in dips to replace them, can't do dumbbells with these since I workout at home. :(

Military Press (new PR): 1x4 (bar), 1x3 (65 lbs), 3x4 (95 lbs).

Skull Crushers: 3x6-7: (need to stop these, too; hurt my elbows), 65-75 lbs.

VirgilsCrony
04-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Did a another quick mix-matched workout today, still waiting for my back to fully recover before attempting squats and deadlifts again.

Walking: 5 minutes, 3-4 miles and hour, incline 10.

Dips: 1x2 (body weight), 1x2 (10 lbs), 1x2 (20 lbs), 1x1 (35 lbs), 1x8 (45 lbs), 1x7 (35 lbs), 1x6-7 (35 lbs). and a couple sets of body weight dips

Lowered the weight cause I felt some tightness/pulling near my neck. Gonna keep the weight at 45 lbs on these next week and progress in reps only for a while.

did a few sets of pull-ups/chin-ups (body weight), and some close grip bench presses for triceps.

Back is feeling much better, should be 100% in a week.

Summer is almost here and it is absolutely gorgeous outside. Might get a sled so I can do some light conditioning work and get some sunshine.

VirgilsCrony
04-22-2009, 02:50 AM
So dejected at the moment; this girl I'd been seeing, who I'd fallen in love with, is seeing someone else and is in love with him already. I left her house three weeks ago, we had an amazing time, left with a kiss and mutual "I love you's"; however, in two weeks or so she starts seeing another kid; I know they've already had sex. Makes me fucking furious, so depressed.

We're not talking anymore either; so I sent her a huge message telling her some stuff that I needed to get off my chest - feels damn good.

Haven't been eating as much because of this crap, lost like 5 pounds (mostly water, I guess, a lot of fat, maybe a little muscle). But am making progress, nevertheless.

Tuesday, since I was feeling shitty, I just did some abs and military presses, got a new PR.

Military Press: 1x4 (bar), 2x2 (65 lbs), 3x5 (100 lbs), 1x5 (105 lbs); 105 was too much at the moment - 100 lbs felt real good. New 5 lb PR in addition to 1 extra rep on each set.

Back is better too, so deadlifts and squats resume soon.

that's pretty much all I did. Probably why I lost so much weight was because when I found out about that stuff, I went outside (like 3 am) and went for a 3 hour walk/jog/run around my area - needed to let some shit off.

kingkong
04-22-2009, 03:57 AM
So dejected at the moment; this girl I'd been seeing, who I'd fallen in love with, is seeing someone else and is in love with him already. I left her house three weeks ago, we had an amazing time, left with a kiss and mutual "I love you's"; however, in two weeks or so she starts seeing another kid; I know they've already had sex. Makes me fucking furious, so depressed.

We're not talking anymore either; so I sent her a huge message telling her some stuff that I needed to get off my chest - feels damn good.

sorry to hear about that mate, shit like that happens all the time. some people just have no respect for themselves or others. dont let it get you down to much, keep your head up, think positive, show that bitch that you can bench press more than you ever knew you could!!!

good progress mate loving it :)

VirgilsCrony
04-22-2009, 07:35 AM
sorry to hear about that mate, shit like that happens all the time. some people just have no respect for themselves or others. dont let it get you down to much, keep your head up, think positive, show that bitch that you can bench press more than you ever knew you could!!!

good progress mate loving it

haha, thanks a lot, bro. we were never really a couple, yet we acted like one: breakfasts at diners, movies, everything else... Not gonna hold a grudge on her; she can do what she wants; just the news shit on me pretty badly cause I care so much about her.

Anyway, I woke up and was bored, and I know it's a consecutive day of lifting but I wanted to do some weighted chins: warmed-up for a bit, stretched, then got a new PR:

3x6 (body weight + 20 lbs). New PR, never got 3 sets of 6 reps with 20 lbs; I've gotten 20 lbs a few times before, though.

(also did some bicep crap with the barbell and 75 lbs)

Going for 25 lbs next week on chins; gonna resume a routine this Friday

post workout meal: 3 crab legs for breakfast, lol, kinda odd, found them in my freezer.

VirgilsCrony
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Workout today went well - signed up at red point for a month to see how I like it, etc. starting something either Monday or Sunday

today's workout was just focused on getting two new PRs, which I got. the rest was just for fun.

One on incline bench press, and one on military press, flat bench blew today.

Incline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x4 (95 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 1x3 (140 lbs), 2x3 (145 lbs).

Flat Bench: forget what I did really; I think I tried 1 set to failure then just did two more sets at a lower weight.

Military Press: 1x4 (bar), 3x5 (105 lbs).

Dips: 3x10 (body weight)

and some bicep barbell curl crap/wrist curls, lol. gonna hit abs tomorrow

awesome that I got new PRs though, happy about that =]

VirgilsCrony
05-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Awesome workout today. Haven't been posting because I've been going to the gym with my bud, just goofing off, doing random stuff with him.

But today I was home alone, got two new PRs.

Warm-up: broom stick shoulder stretches, a few push-ups.

Incline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x3 (95 lbs), 1x2 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 3x3 (155 lbs). 10 lb PR!!! Felt easy, too.

Just started taking creatine monohydrate, so maybe its helping me add a few more pounds than average.

Then I did 3 sets of body weight dips to failure.

Barbell Curls: 3x8 (80 lbs), another PR.

Abs: random weighted stuff

Gonna rest for a day then hit up something else. Not sure if I even want to do a routine, whenever I just do random exercises every few days, and get plenty, plenty of muscle rest, I always get new PRs. Might go with intuition for a bit until I start having trouble. Alot funner for me, too, that way.

Just got back to working deadlifts and squats, practicing form with low weight till I get good.

VirgilsCrony
05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Been doing some walking with 50 lbs in a backpack (about 1 mile every day; 3 days so far). Love it. tough, but feels great. Gonna hit up shoulders later tonight.

Need to get a weight vest, though, eventually.

VirgilsCrony
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Just got done, did military presses, lateral raises, some front raises, new PR on military press, had more in me too. awesome day. feel like weighted walking is really helping

3 minutes incline treadmill, shoulder stretches, and broomstick dislocations.

Military Press: 1x4 (bar), 1x3 (65 lbs), 1x1 (95 lbs), 1x4 (110 lbs), 1x6 (110 lbs), 1x5 (110 lbs), 1x8 (95 lbs). 5 lb PR!! yay, lol. cool down set with 95 lbs.

then did some lateral raises and front raises and called it a night.

pretty happy considering that a few months ago just the bar was tiring.

going for 115 lbs next week.

VirgilsCrony
05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Another great day, new PR.

1 mile walk outside (50 lbs in backpack).

3 minute warm-up on treadmill and some shoulder stretches with a broomstick.

Chin-ups: 1x5 (negatives; body weight), 3x6 (25 lbs). New PR (5 lbs), finished with one set of pull-ups till failure with just body weight, only got 4, was too tired.

Finished with 2x8 reverse curls, and 2x8 barbell curl.

Going for 30 lbs next week on chins.

:top:

VirgilsCrony
05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
decent day, new PR

5 minute walk, incline treadmill; shoulder stretches with broomstick

Incline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x3 95 lbs), 1x1 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 2x3 (165 lbs), 1x4 (160 lbs). 165 was too high, got greedy, 160 should have been my weight this time, 10 lb PR then lowered it for last set. then did 1x7 (135 lbs).

next week will be 160 for 3x4.

Dips: 2x till failure - about 12-13 reps each set (body weight)

tried to do military press, but was too tired.

slight pinch in shoulder, gonna lay off upper body and focus on light, light squats and deads more for form for the next week or so. still afraid to up the weight on them. need to get a vid up.

but goddamn: im taking accutane at the moment and my back and shoulders look as though I've survived several thousand punji pit falls - oh well, fuck it. Who wants to die without any scars? sucks waking up some mornings and having to unstick your back from your sheets, leaving big bloody patches on the covers.

but, there's people out there who have it a hell of a lot worse than me.

taking my little bro to see star track in imax later tonight, can't wait.

VirgilsCrony
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Just got back from the park - hiked about 6-8 miles with my friend and little brother (25 lb backpack.)

Was gonna hit the gym, but need the rest, gonna hit it up tomorrow.

We were only going to walk for about 3 miles but ended up getting lost, lol, REALLY LOST.

Hans
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Yo bro I just got off accutane about 2 weeks ago. Its worth it, just stick it out and use that chapstick lol. Anyways i lifted while on accutane and after being off of it my lifts have gotten much better as I am more awake and feel more stronger (not just like lifting wise just in general) Good luck bro I feel ya.

decent day, new PR

5 minute walk, incline treadmill; shoulder stretches with broomstick

Incline Bench Press: 2x5 (bar), 1x3 95 lbs), 1x1 (115 lbs), 1x1 (135 lbs), 2x3 (165 lbs), 1x4 (160 lbs). 165 was too high, got greedy, 160 should have been my weight this time, 10 lb PR then lowered it for last set. then did 1x7 (135 lbs).

next week will be 160 for 3x4.

Dips: 2x till failure - about 12-13 reps each set (body weight)

tried to do military press, but was too tired.

slight pinch in shoulder, gonna lay off upper body and focus on light, light squats and deads more for form for the next week or so. still afraid to up the weight on them. need to get a vid up.

but goddamn: im taking accutane at the moment and my back and shoulders look as though I've survived several thousand punji pit falls - oh well, fuck it. Who wants to die without any scars? sucks waking up some mornings and having to unstick your back from your sheets, leaving big bloody patches on the covers.

but, there's people out there who have it a hell of a lot worse than me.

taking my little bro to see star track in imax later tonight, can't wait.