PDA

View Full Version : Captain Commando pursues the goal.

capt. commando
03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Captain Commando's Journey

Everyone, nice to meet you, im new here. Ill cut to the chase on this thread; please follow my progress and give advice!

About me:
Weight: 175
Height: 6' 2"
BF: 10%

I have been lifting for seven months but, training for two months. After i moved back to my old school with all my best friends I have been getting everything in check: training, diet, rest, and balancing everything with that. Obviously I dont think my diet and/or training is perfect, thats why im here... for help!
I read every sticky on this site before joining and I am currently following on of IA's top 10 lifting routines, a two day split.
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3001

Why? I have found I have great recovery from this frequency and anything more than that doesn't provide near the results. When I pursue a career It will be a personal trainer and I know that I must have experience if im going to help others. My point on this choice: Do what you love and get paid for it.

Training:

Monday:
Squats 2 x 5
Box squats 2 x 4
Leg presses 2 x 5 (pick 2 of the three listed as long as one is squats)
Calves (your choice of exercise) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
Decline medium grip bench 2 x 6 (pinkies on the rings)
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Upright rows or side laterals 1 x 10

Thursday:
Dead lifts (rotate variations each week) 2 x 5
reverse hypers, pull thrus or glute ham raise 1 x 10-15
Bent over rows 2 x 4
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 6
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8 (or your favorite curl here)1 x 10

PRs:
Bench Press: 205x1
Squat: 315x1
Deadlift: 335x2
Bent Barbell Row: 185x2 [going for four but over loaded]
Pull-ups: 12 using body weight

capt. commando
03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Today is my second week, day one of my current routine. My day went like this...

Bench 15x135, 12x135, 10x145

Incline Dumbell 12x45, 50

Military 15x85, 85

Tricep Pushdown 11x40,45

three sets of ab work

neverfinished
03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
damn bro,nice im almost 17 i just got back into weightlifting and your stronger than me on bench lol atm im workin on cuttin down before i bulk im also 6,2 but im 215 atm started at 232 tho :D im gettin down to 200 i got a larger structure than you obviously so 10 percent bodyy fat for me is like 200 while its 175 for you,lame but i guess im just blessed/cursed with bein big :/

capt. commando
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
damn bro,nice im almost 17 i just got back into weightlifting and your stronger than me on bench lol atm im workin on cuttin down before i bulk im also 6,2 but im 215 atm started at 232 tho :D im gettin down to 200 i got a larger structure than you obviously so 10 percent bodyy fat for me is like 200 while its 175 for you,lame but i guess im just blessed/cursed with bein big :/

nice to meet you man. keep in mind thats a personal record, right now im at 190 on a good day!:(:( I really need to figure out why my bench is the only thing stalled right now.

adelman337
03-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Some peoples bench just does not progress very fast. This is also a problem for me. Where do you typically fail in the lift?

capt. commando
03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
well its not that a certain point in the motion of the bar is weak, its just that I have little to no progress. Im considering making my chest movements limited to only one movement to ensure recovery and work from there, just to see if it works.

adelman337
03-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Do you alternate bench movements or just mainly stick to flat?

capt. commando
03-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I alternate and use dips sometimes too.

T unit
03-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Have you tried paused DB bench? really helped me out

capt. commando
03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
nope, thanks for the advice ill try it

AnyOldIron
03-14-2009, 04:16 PM
it's a lot harder to progress (in most lifts) with the rep ranges you use.

capt. commando
03-14-2009, 04:25 PM
it's a lot harder to progress (in most lifts) with the rep ranges you use.

what would you suggest? im beginning to use higher reps such as 12-15

AnyOldIron
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
for bench, a 3-8 rep range probably. start at the higher end, add weight every week and drop down a rep, then start over.

or you could use the rep ranges IA actually prescribes for that routine and not your own. :|

capt. commando
03-14-2009, 05:08 PM
the only ones i changed are the ones that i dont do well on when they are low. Military press is painful on the joint when i go lower reps, squats have never yielded results for me when i go lower reps, and bench im trying whatever I can to break the sticking point.

I dont see why people have to be like that when after all, im not posting "HEY IA CAN I SUB THIS FOR THIS AND CHANGE THIS REP RANGE" im just doing it, doing it to try it at that. Im posting this in my own thread and if that annoys you then by all means make a smart ass remark.

Thanks for the advice :D

AnyOldIron
03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
whatever dude, I'll stop 'annoying' you then. hope it works out for ya.

capt. commando
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Dont think im an ass, its just that those ranges dont work for me and i tried to be as inconspicuous as i could be about changing it. I didnt want to be another one of those teenagers who asks permission to do everything. Sorry and thanks again, i do appreciate the imput.

capt. commando
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Its been awhile since ive posted on here, ive been grounded. The teen journal section has been created so if somebody could move it, thanks.

updates and a question...

Recently lifts have been going up steadily:
bench-- 170x6 easy
box squat-- 280x6 not so easy
row-- 175x4 easy

on box squat, im alot stronger than without a box but i cant really feel the burn when i lift heavy, is this ok? i just cant really feel it and it seems too easy

president_fad
04-16-2009, 09:56 PM
the only ones i changed are the ones that i dont do well on when they are low. Military press is painful on the joint when i go lower reps, squats have never yielded results for me when i go lower reps, and bench im trying whatever I can to break the sticking point.

I dont see why people have to be like that when after all, im not posting "HEY IA CAN I SUB THIS FOR THIS AND CHANGE THIS REP RANGE" im just doing it, doing it to try it at that. Im posting this in my own thread and if that annoys you then by all means make a smart ass remark.

Thanks for the advice :D

your 15, how much "experience" can you have? I mean even if youve been lifting a year, which i doubt how can you know that "low reps" dont work for you. Ive been lifting since i was 15 and im 23, 24 in may and i learn shit every workout. Its going to be hard to put on alot of mass doing reps of 15 on everything.

capt. commando
04-16-2009, 10:10 PM
ok guys, seriously i dont want to get into an argument because then i look like a dumbass to everyone.

I never used the word "experience" other than referring to the future and getting experience. Just so you know, on a week to week journal i didnt make any gains on a 3-8 rep range for two months, this was awhile ago and now im doing 4-6 on compound movements. People are treating me like im acting like a know-it-all but if i truly was then i wouldnt depend on this forum for my routines [im on EXMGQ's right now] and other advice.

To his credit he was right, i never discredited him for the advice or my current gains, i actually said "Thanks for the advice".

Yes im 15, yes i have been lifting for a year. Why would i lie about that.... i mean... really?

Joe
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
cc, you HAVE to let go of your ego, its a must. Your ego is saying "don't listen to the guys who have 8x more experience and more training wisdom than I do, I know I'm right." Your ego needs to be fed to feel good about itself. It doesnt feel good if YOU listen to other people.

It's not going to get you anywhere far, but you will find that out soon enough.

capt. commando
04-18-2009, 03:04 PM
DUDE! This seems like one sick joke because i am listening to people, i just stated that in the last post! I respect you guys like no other and thats why i follow what you tell me to...

All i was saying in the last post is, i never claimed to have experience, i love this board and the advice, i dont want altercations.

Can we please get to the advice on training lol

capt. commando
04-18-2009, 03:04 PM
also thanks for moving the thread, and sorry

capt. commando
04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, week four back on EXMGQ's

Most recent lifts [all have improved]

Squat- 300*6
Leg press- 450*5
Flat Bench- 180*6
Decline Bench- 185*6
Dips- 15 using bodyweight
Rows- 185*4
Lat pulldowns- its weight number 13 on a cybex universal machine*6
Barbell curls- 95*10

I cant do GHRs yet but im working on them!

capt. commando
05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
my week back after a deload...

Squat- 315*6
Leg press- 470*5
Flat Bench- 185*6
Decline Bench- 190*6
Dips- 6 with +20
Rows- 185*4
Lat pulldowns- its weight number 14 on a cybex universal machine*6
Barbell curls- 95*11