PDA

View Full Version : --~~teen gets LEAN~~--

neverfinished
02-28-2009, 10:22 PM
6,2 19 year old male 250 pounds looking to get to 200 pounds.

caloric intake=2500 is my goal

supplements
whey isolate

FAT LOSS CHECK(er) checked sunday mornings
Coming soon

neverfinished
02-28-2009, 10:23 PM
what isnt included on my workout chart

BIKERIDING MON-FRI 4 miles a day 5 days a week
-1 mile to school,1 mile to gym,2 miles home
BASKETBALL 2+ times a week for 2+ hours

WHAT GOESS DOWN IN THE GYM!

MONDAY-chest/back

Dumbbell bench press 4x10

Dumbbell incline bench press 4x10

deadlift 10,8,6,4

Cable closegrip pulldown 4x10

Shrugs 4x10

WEDSENDAY-abs-triceps-biceps

Dumbbell straight leg deadlift 4x10

Dumbbell side bend 4x10

Lever seated crunch 4x30
Machine crunchers 4x10

pulldowns with double rope attachment 3x10

skull crushers 3x10

Db curl 3 x 10

20Gs 3 x 10

friday-shoulders

Shoulder press-3x10

Db raise-3x10

Db lateral raise-3x10

LiftingAddict
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey neverfinished I'm glad to see you started a log and are trying to get lean! This is the first mental hurdle.

A couple things. I'm not sure how much you weigh, bf, height, training experience etc, but from your plan it looks as though your new to the game. A few suggestions: Up your calories. Doesn't look like your even scratching 1500 cals there. I cut at 3000 calories just to give an idea. But everyone is different. Secondly, look into IA's simple power based routine, b/c your routine is way to much to make progress.

Also I love your enthusiasm, make sure you don't burn out on what your doing. It looks like your going at things a little too hardcore, which oftens leads to people quitting. Since your a teen, just start eating healthy and let the weight slowly come off, its not going to happen overnight.

Again, I'm not qualified to give advice, but I have been doing this for 2 years so know a couple things from experience.

Any questions post and qualified members will help you.

Good luck!

zpapa21
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
NF as Lifting Addict has said above your calories are far too low unless you are a 100 lb girl. Also with a TCD you need to be consuming adequate amounts of protein/fat in each meal, having a few sticks of celery hardly qualifies as anything let alone a meal. Also look into a routine which is 3 days/week, go look through the routines section here (a good one to look into would be the simple power based routine) and choose something basic which involves heavy compound lifts. After that you need to evaluate your cardio, even if you are trying to get lean doing excessive amount of cardio will become counterproductive and cause muscle loss especially at your current caloric level. You need to perform cardio 4-5 times/week for 30-45 minutes/session. I would make a majority of your cardio low intensity (HR less than 130) to help with fat loss but until we get a bit more info as far as your current weight and bf% you won't really know what amount or intensity is appropriate. Provide some more info and we'll be able to help you further.

neverfinished
02-28-2009, 11:45 PM
wow my log on bodyspace.com was updated daily for over a month without a single reply im nt even finished making my log here and i got 2 replys lol looks like it was a good idea to switch over eh thanks guys and yea im tryin too add more calories atm the weight ive put on my workouts is not very strenuous for me and thats on purpose soo i can keep my calorie intake low but i do plan to keep it at about 2000

neverfinished
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Secondly, look into IA's simple power based routine, b/c your routine is way to much to make progress.

lol i took out all of my hiit cardio training due to the carb timed diet but i can tell you for sure i can maintain what i posted without being sore i added some more info btw

LiftingAddict
03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
If the weights r going up each workout then keep doing what your doing, if not, then you need to decrease volume.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 12:29 AM
If the weights r going up each workout then keep doing what your doing, if not, then you need to decrease volume.

im not trying to go up in weights only reps im staying at the assigned weights until i reach my goal of 200 but i will up the reps dramatically to give me better lookin muscles :D

LiftingAddict
03-01-2009, 12:35 AM
im not trying to go up in weights only reps im staying at the assigned weights until i reach my goal of 200 but i will up the reps dramatically to give me better lookin muscles :D

I'm not sure where to start...

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure where to start...

idk if ur ever gonna read this after what i posted lol but i luv you i just remade my workout cuz of what you said i went and read the overtraining article which made me realize i was overtraiing so now im only weightlifting 3 times a week and i can get better results and now i can play basketball everyday which will be way more fun than just runnin n treadmill or elliptical

LiftingAddict
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
NF i suggest you read the stickies, do something that proven to work effectively like IA's SPBR and stick to that.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 01:18 AM
im readin over em and they all say tons of stuff i dnt understand why cant they just stick to db and barbell work lol they drive me crazy sayin things like go ''2 inches above parallell'' who the fuck is going too know if they are 2 inches up or down lol

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Routines talking about so many inches above parallel and DE squats are Westside variations, you don't need to worry about those for now. Do the simple power routine or this one (http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=228700#post228700).

Also, 2000 calories a day for a teenager is ridiculously low. I'd eat a lot more food split into more frequent meals to support your training needs - you are still growing so you need calories for bodily development as well - the last thing a teenager should do is go on a low calorie diet.

Though I'm not sure what your goals are?

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Routines talking about so many inches above parallel and DE squats are Westside variations, you don't need to worry about those for now. Do the simple power routine or this one (http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=228700#post228700).

Also, 2000 calories a day for a teenager is ridiculously low. I'd eat a lot more food split into more frequent meals to support your training needs - you are still growing so you need calories for bodily development as well - the last thing a teenager should do is go on a low calorie diet.

Though I'm not sure what your goals are?

im going for fat loss btw 1.6 pounds more off this week w00t :D i like to lose 2-3 pounds a week and im sure that will be easily achieved when i go this week atm im having alot of trouble getting 0 carbs until dinner with my timed carb diet so any suggestions would be great i could use more breakfast options as well as a morning snack between lunch n breakfast as well as a lunch lol cuz everything im putting in those categories has carbs and i am aiming for fat loss hence ''teen gets LEAN'' lol

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
meat, eggs, fish, poultry, cheese, nuts and green vegetables - any of those items work for TCD meals.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
meat, eggs, fish, poultry, cheese, nuts and green vegetables - any of those items work for TCD meals.

i luv to put veggies in as my snacks for the day but im finding that just about impossible when im trying to keep carbs low until dinner time because all veggies are high in carbs or have like no calories

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
green vegetables don't have enough carbs to be a problem, eat away. it's things like corn and peas which can pose a problem - but these aren't vegetables anyway.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
green vegetables don't have enough carbs to be a problem, eat away. it's things like corn and peas which can pose a problem - but these aren't vegetables anyway.

im trying to keep my carbs under 10 percent of my diet until i get to dinner maybe thats a bit too extreme for the level of activity i have before dinner

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
what activities do you do?

it's likely you won't need a strict tcd, you're a teenager.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
what activities do you do?

it's likely you won't need a strict tcd, you're a teenager.

i ride 8 miles on my bike,play basketball in a 100+degree gym for 2-3 hours and lift weights mon,wed,fri

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
then I suspect all you'd need to do is eat clean for a while and you'll lose the fat. have carbs before and after your activities and just make sure they're from healthy sources.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 03:47 PM
then I suspect all you'd need to do is eat clean for a while and you'll lose the fat. have carbs before and after your activities and just make sure they're from healthy sources.

wouldnt that not be the timed carb diet at all?

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
no, that wouldn't be the strict TCD (pwo carbs only + carb days) but it's not something you, as an active teenager, need right now. you just need to eat clean. obviously if you're going to sit on your ass all day studying then you don't need to cram in a buttload of carbs at every meal, but give how active you are, you should be fine eating carbs before and after your sports/training. keep them from fruit, vegetables, wholegrain breads, ezekiel cereal etc and you should be fine.

adelman337
03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
At your age and activity level you do not have to do any hardcore diet re-adjustments. As AOI just eat clean and maybe cut carbs out at night. But eating stuff like spinach and broccoli are not going to affect much.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
no, that wouldn't be the strict TCD (pwo carbs only + carb days) but it's not something you, as an active teenager, need right now. you just need to eat clean. obviously if you're going to sit on your ass all day studying then you don't need to cram in a buttload of carbs at every meal, but give how active you are, you should be fine eating carbs before and after your sports/training. keep them from fruit, vegetables, wholegrain breads, ezekiel cereal etc and you should be fine.

hmm i see what your saying but with a timed carb diet my body would be forced to take from my fat reserves wouldnt that be more effective than taking from carbs?

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
hmm i see what your saying but with a timed carb diet my body would be forced to take from my fat reserves wouldnt that be more effective than taking from carbs?

in your case you'd burn fat even when eating higher carbs. my brother (20 years old) recently went from fat (chubby) to ripped (seriously ripped) in less than 3 weeks eating junk food every day - but he trained like 2x a day (weights/boxing). you can get away with a lot when you are young and have a roaring metabolism.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
in your case you'd burn fat even when eating higher carbs. my brother (20 years old) recently went from fat (chubby) to ripped (seriously ripped) in less than 3 weeks eating junk food every day - but he trained like 2x a day (weights/boxing). you can get away with a lot when you are young and have a roaring metabolism.

my metabolism is by no means ''roaring'' you seem too know more than me tho i wish IA was here :(

p.s i think its important to say all of my genes are from cold weather countries and body fat distributes over my entire body although that doesnt mean im not packin a keg in my core :/

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
my metabolism is by no means ''roaring'' you seem too know more than me tho i wish IA was here :(

go ask him then. but I doubt he'd give you much different advice than eat clean, be active and watch your carbs at night/periods of inactivity.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
go ask him then. but I doubt he'd give you much different advice than eat clean, be active and watch your carbs at night/periods of inactivity.

how do i ask him?

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 04:13 PM
post a question in the nutrition forum and wait for him to answer it.

AnyOldIron
03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
but, I repeat, you've been given the answers already.

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
but, I repeat, you've been given the answers already.

kk im ordering weight belt and wraps atm for deadlifts/squats and i may do powercleans i already have the form down from football so well see,i finally am finished with my diet im going to post it now for you to critique it as well as others and im happy with my workout atm but i may add to it later as i see fit or others point out flaws in it.i will not bother to go ask in nutrition forum if hes sayin same thing

neverfinished
03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AFTER 10 HOURS BETWEEN LAST NIGHT AND THIS MRNING MY DIET/WORKUOT PLAN IS COMPLETE UBER SUPER EXCITED TO GET STARTED ON IT TOMORROW:sperm::sperm::sperm::shoot5:

Helikaon
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
You just shot some semen. WOW.

neverfinished
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
You just shot some semen. WOW.

LOL they just looked funny to me

LiftingAddict
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
idk if ur ever gonna read this after what i posted lol but i luv you i just remade my workout cuz of what you said i went and read the overtraining article which made me realize i was overtraiing so now im only weightlifting 3 times a week and i can get better results and now i can play basketball everyday which will be way more fun than just runnin n treadmill or elliptical

Awesome bro! Way to realize what was wrong and correct it!

neverfinished
03-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Awesome bro! Way to realize what was wrong and correct it!

neverfinished
03-02-2009, 10:28 PM
MONDAY-chest/back

Dumbbell bench press 4x10 25,25,45,50 10 reps at 50 is pretty legit for me :)

Dumbbell incline bench press 4x10 25,25,35,40 pounds

Cable closegrip pulldown 5x10 120,120,130,130,140 lbs

Shrugs 4x10 60 pounds-guy told me not to take shoulders back so far on shrugs just a bit cuz its bad for your rotator cuffs after that i felt the burn way more and im not hurtin rotators so that was sick :D

im gettin wraps and belt so i can do deadlifts/squats

neverfinished
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
tuesday-cardio

i played about 2 and a half hours of basketball,we won 7 games in a row so that was pretty legit but it was non stop constant fresh guys desperate for a win i nicknamed one guy wirey cuz he had so much energy haha after that i spent about 20 min in the sauna i dont even knowo why i already sweated enough obviously lol then at 8 30 after some rest i went to MMA at aka to try it out it was chill once i get more fit ima do jiu-jitsu and mma prolly

zpapa21
03-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Be careful getting carried away with any high impact sport while trying to lift seriously at the same time. I am not saying that you can't play but just cut it back a bit and you'll continue to see gains in the weight room.

neverfinished
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Be careful getting carried away with any high impact sport while trying to lift seriously at the same time. I am not saying that you can't play but just cut it back a bit and you'll continue to see gains in the weight room.

im just doin it for cardio it builds bone strength and accelerates my weight loss how do you think this will slow down my gains? btw im cuttin so weight loss takes precedence over muscle gains

LiftingAddict
03-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Intense cardio dampens your CNS and slows recovery. It also means you have to eat more to compensate for the calories burned.

zpapa21
03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
What LA has said is spot on.

neverfinished
03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
first of all LA I LUV YOU SO MUCH :D i did 35's for a full set of 10 on each arm for db curls first time ever durin football which i only did for 4 months best i ever got was 35 for 14 reps cuz we lifted errday and we couldnt get gains for shit.i did 20g's with a 60lb barbell(never done before) and i repped 50 easy also on close grip bench i repped a 10 pound increase compared to before and i did 2 reps with a plate just to see if i could as well as significiant gains on tricep dips pretty much everything improved no doubt so this cns recovery stuff your talkin about is fo real even though i dont fully understand how it works least i know what to do

with that said weightloss means much more than muscle gain atm so im not going to back off the cardio at all until i hit 200 but i appreciate you guys informing me so if my progress slows i will at least know why

neverfinished
03-04-2009, 11:35 PM

Dumbbell straight leg deadlift 4x10 30 lb

Dumbbell side bend 4x10 60 lb

Lever seated crunch 4x25

Machine crunchers 4x15 125 lb

Assisted triceps dip 5 x 5 70 lbs

Barbell close grip bench press 3 x 10 95,105,125 lbs then i did 135 for 2 reps to see if i could do it i was amazed at the ease ive never done that much in meh life this new cns recvoery shit is amazing

Db curl 4 x 10 25,30,30,35(first time ever doin 35 for the full 10 on each arm!)

20Gs 3 sets 50,60,50 (never did 60 in my life or even imagined doin that and i did 50 with ease

Dedicated1
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but I think you should reconsider using the SPBR or another routine written by someone experienced.

neverfinished
03-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Don't take this the wrong way but I think you should reconsider using the SPBR or another routine written by someone experienced.

why? my workout plan hits pretty much every single muscle in the body directly and if i do miss one directly then i most likely hit it indirectly with another excercise as i only use free weights or playin basketball which is my main cardio although i enjoy swimming just dont like carrying around the wet gear and it can get boring

i pulled 1+ excercise for every muscle group from here http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

The other more general workout plans use excercises i dont like do as well as slow me down as my plan is customized for myself

p.s i learn more about the human body's muscle development everyday as well as nutrition so creating my own diet and workout plan increases my confidence in the program and its great practice as i would like to be a personal trainer on the side someday or at the very least minor in human physiology as i am completely fascinated by the human body's development however if you find that i am missing major muscle groups or doing them too often/little i would love to hear about it so i can revise my program to be even better but unless my current progam is just unfixable i have no interest in changing for reasons previously listed

AnyOldIron
03-05-2009, 02:44 AM
im gettin wraps and belt so i can do deadlifts/squats

these are not necessary to do squats and deadlifts, I've never worn 'em, lol.

neverfinished
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
these are not necessary to do squats and deadlifts, I've never worn 'em, lol.

i know but they make the whole process alot easier plus when i was in football i had a weak lowerback i never worked out and i got injurys on it alot plus when i was a video game addict one day i walked home from school which was 1 mile and when i got home the back pain was soo bad i couldnt even stand up once i bent over cuz all i did was sit ina beanbag all day playin x box or sit in a computer chair (beanbag kills ur back) so im makin sure to protect my back now also im having trouble holding the weight on deadlifts even tho i can do more i cant hold more soo yea lol

p.s my calysses get turn up on deadlifts too lol by bar

AnyOldIron
03-05-2009, 12:20 PM
and that's exactly why people get lower back injuries - they try to protect the back at all costs and never make it do any work, so it stays weak and injury prone.

but, as you wish.

neverfinished
03-06-2009, 05:57 AM
and that's exactly why people get lower back injuries - they try to protect the back at all costs and never make it do any work, so it stays weak and injury prone.

but, as you wish.

interesting view i will make sure not to become too reliant upon that back brace however if im tryin to set a new pr best believe ima be wearin that before i risk an injury but for just maintenence work i gotta agree with you now that i think of it no back brace is better for my 10,8 and maybe 6 depends how heavy i go on my 6 and 4 sets

neverfinished
03-06-2009, 06:10 AM
thursday 3/05/09-cardio day

an hour and a half of basketball was all my cardio for today as im gettin sick and im already sore so i didn wanna hinder my bodys immune defenses anymore than they already are

neverfinished
03-07-2009, 02:09 AM
friday-shoulders

Db lateral raise-3x10 15,17.5,20 could work on form my left rotator seems to be a bit injured so i had trouble with these

Shoulder press-3x10 35,40,45 lost my form at 6 reps and stopped at 9 reps so close :( i got it next time no doubt

Db raise-3x10 25,30,35

i played basketball at open gym for 2 pretty good games although i ate some cookie dough and my diet was overall a mess today i forgot my lunch n snack so i had improvise TGIF at least i got that eh

AnyOldIron
03-07-2009, 09:18 AM
why do you do laterals before shoulder press? put the compounds first.

neverfinished
03-08-2009, 04:10 AM
why do you do laterals before shoulder press? put the compounds first.

i def learned that, felt a lil weird in shoulder press will switch that now thanks brosky

neverfinished
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
saturday/sunday=bad dieting eatin smores n pancakes n burgers n fries n chocolate cake=legit weekend :) chillin haha but thats alrite i did hard work in the week so i lost 4 lbs this week

neverfinished
03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
back on the diet monday 2moro but ima lose a hour of sleep to homo daylight savings time

neverfinished
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
MONDAY-chest/back

Dumbbell bench press 4x10 30,40,50,55 can you say PR :D

Dumbbell incline bench press 4x10 30,35,40,45 PRX2 PLZ

deadlift 10,8,6,4 did 135 then stopped cuz i cant get the bar past my knees when im doin it so im bending over and f'in up my back i need to not forget my weightlifting belt i just bought to solve this exact problem

Cable closegrip pulldown 5x10 130,130 and stopped wasnt feelin it
Shrugs 4x10 wasnt feelin it so i just skipped these

neverfinished
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
tuesday-cardio

just 3 hours of basketball today was pretty chill i always panic when i get the ball so usually i just help and dont score like assist,screens,rebounds and i play some tight Defense ive heard :D but a guy wanted me to post up which i know how to do perfectly ive learned literally every post move and made some new ones lol but i freeze up when i get it so today for my last game my goal was to score some points or at least shoot.i scored our first point and our last point so its only 2 points but still i was glad i got in there and tried on offense instead of just helpin.And i plan to start bein alot more active on offense just gonna take my shots instead of passin sometimes

P.S im not lifting next week as im very close to hittin a flatline on the weights so my body needs to rest for a week or so then hopefully i can continue my gains.i will continue basketball and ridin my bike while thats goin on tho

neverfinished
03-11-2009, 11:51 PM

Dumbbell straight leg deadlift 4x10 35

Dumbbell side bend 4x10 70

Lever seated crunch 4x30 legs out diagonally crossed hurt like a bitch :D
Machine crunchers 4x15 125

pulldowns with double rope attachment 3x10 80 great burn

Barbell close grip bench press 10-115,8-115,6-125,4-125
im havin trouble gaining on this i just switched my 3x10 rep set to 10,8,6,4 but i dont really like that so ima go back although for deadlifts i think i like the 10,8,6,4 thing will help me increase strength

Db curl 3 x 10 25,30,40 PR TWO WEEKS IN A ROW :D

20Gs 3 x 10 50lb bar all 3 times was dead from thos epic curls

neverfinished
03-13-2009, 02:06 AM
todayy was my cardio day :D so i played basketball for a few hours and as my goal was last time to get more confident and take shots i achieved this time bringing in almost half of the teams points consistently so im happy with my progress in weightlifting/cardio and basketball performance right now except i would love to get my close grip bench up although i understand that bench is one of the slowest excercises to go up on

neverfinished
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
3/13-3/15 i was pretty lazy :) had some pizza n home made cookies this week i worked hard but i think i beat myself up too much over a lil bad treat here and there i was thinkin there is no way ill lose any weight this week cuz i had like 6 cookies and a few slices of pizza but thatas just a bit too nazi of me i guess cuz i lost 3.6 pounds after comin off a big 4 pound loss the week before,usually after losin that much i stay the same for a week so im pretty happy with my progress still waitin for the rest of the fat to come off the torso but i got time

p.s im off weights for the next 1-2 weeks to recover im going to be doin alot of hard cardio in the form of basketball so ill prolly do 2 weeks off weights as the basketball will slow down my muscle recovery

neverfinished
03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
no lifting for this week so my muscles can recover

unfortunately i get all of my anger and aggression out at the gym so even intense cardio doesnt satisfy me like the pain of lifting weights do.anyways i played basketball for 3 hours today and walked for about 45 min to get home so good levels of activity

neverfinished
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
still off the weights i played basketball for a hour and a half today so that was chill scored the 2nd to last game winning shot for my last game :jump: legitt neways my failures today were having a mcdonalds mcflurry and 6 chicken mcnuggets :nono: on the upside tho im goin on my 8th week with no soda and almost no fast food cept for today :(

overall my progress for this week will be hindered because i splurged and had a big dinner sunday night and i just had mcdonalds today however i only ate 1000 calories yesterday (was so full from sunday night dinner)

B.Money
03-18-2009, 12:49 AM

but, as you wish.

AOI, are you saying your against wearing a belt? Just curious on your position on this.

Sorry for the off topic!

neverfinished
03-19-2009, 02:30 AM
AOI, are you saying your against wearing a belt? Just curious on your position on this.

Sorry for the off topic!

i decided to just use the belt i respect AOI but i disagree with him on this lol

neverfinished
03-19-2009, 02:32 AM
wed-cardio day-off weights this week

3 hours basketball
1 hour hiking
1 hour biking

comments
i got a tick on my inner thigh while hiking (in pants) lol bullshit but w.e i removed it promptly with the old fire technique :D haha that was legit fo sho nd im watchin out for any symptoms i highly doubt that i got lyme disease though because i only had it in me for about 2 hours

AnyOldIron
03-19-2009, 04:01 AM
i decided to just use the belt i respect AOI but i disagree with him on this lol

what exercise do you do that merits the use of a belt? all I can see squat/pull wise is straight leg deadlifts with dumbbells, at a high rep range. :| if you need a belt for this what are you going to wear when you actually lift some weight?

B.Money my issue with belts is mostly the guys who can't squat two plates yet, but still put a belt on to try and protect their lower back. if they were squatting 500, it'd be a different matter. save the belt until you reach a more advanced level, but hell I pull 500 for a few reps and I still haven't worn a belt. lol

B.Money
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
B.Money my issue with belts is mostly the guys who can't squat two plates yet, but still put a belt on to try and protect their lower back. if they were squatting 500, it'd be a different matter. save the belt until you reach a more advanced level, but hell I pull 500 for a few reps and I still haven't worn a belt. lol

I agree, but where would you draw the line between belt and no belt? Could you do it by feel possibly? or would you make a weight limit?

Theres a pretty cool video of a guy deadlifting 700lbs for reps without a belt. :D

I always question wearing the belt. People say it can protect against "back problems" and I have heard it thrown around loosely that IA may have not gotten a hernia if he had worn his belt tighter--who knows. For me its always in question though--it has always seemed weird to me that the human body NEEDS a belt to pull heavy weight safely, just something about it...

AnyOldIron
03-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Experienced guys will know when to use it, and when not. I haven't actually felt a need for it yet.

I do firmly believe that if you start wearing a belt to squat/DL 200lbs you are MUCH more likely to get a back injury sometime. Squats and deads work the posterior core and abs bigtime, that's the point of them.

B.Money
03-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Experienced guys will know when to use it, and when not. I haven't actually felt a need for it yet.

I do firmly believe that if you start wearing a belt to squat/DL 200lbs you are MUCH more likely to get a back injury sometime. Squats and deads work the posterior core and abs bigtime, that's the point of them.

Very good--thanks for the info! I have not used a belt for a little while now due to feeling totally awkward wearing one, especially pulling--the thing drives me nuts and I feel like my groove is not where it would be naturally.

One last quick question, if you, or somebody at a similar strength level, decided to pull 1 heavy single, or maybe heavy double or triple---would you wear your belt then? Or would same rules apply?

AnyOldIron
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
One last quick question, if you, or somebody at a similar strength level, decided to pull 1 heavy single, or maybe heavy double or triple---would you wear your belt then? Or would same rules apply?

that'd be down to how the individual lifter feels.. I personally haven't felt the need yet. that is not to say I won't ever, of course. :)

neverfinished
03-20-2009, 01:49 AM
what exercise do you do that merits the use of a belt? all I can see squat/pull wise is straight leg deadlifts with dumbbells, at a high rep range. :| if you need a belt for this what are you going to wear when you actually lift some weight?

i dont squat right now because my legs are worked so much in cardio and they were so disproportionality stronger than the rest of my body i had to stop ad focus n the rest of my body.But i guarantee you i can put up 2 plates on any given day lol. The only excercises i feel the need to use the belt on are deadlifts and squats and as you said for my first sets that are pretty safe i never use a belt then your back wont support itself as you said. However once im doin 5-6 reps or lower on squats or deadlifts then its most definitley time to put on that belt in my opinion.

p.s nice to see you on my thread again AOI :D

neverfinished
03-20-2009, 01:53 AM
no real excercise today cept bike riding and some runnin around just playin around with ppl.

p.s i started on 30G of fish oil today i feel great :D

neverfinished
03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
friday

crappy diet day

excercise=9 miles bike riding(lot of uphill) and basketball for a few hours

neverfinished
03-24-2009, 12:31 AM
3/21-3/23 fell off the wagon cuz i was goin through some heavy stuff with family

back on it as of tomorrow :D unfortunately tho i couldnt make it to the weights today to do chest/back :/

neverfinished
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
wewt im in the teen section now :D lol didnt know their was a place for teen journals

neverfinished
03-25-2009, 02:52 AM
tuesday-cardio day

i played an hour of basketball+rode my bike about 5 miles

my diet today was pushin 3000 calories and its supposed to be 2000 so im still comin off my 4 days of weightloss hell where i ate alot of bad shit cuz i was goin through bad shit but im confident i will get back down to 2000 calories tomorrow because as i increase my volume/intensity of excercise back to where it was my metabolism will speed up and i wont even want the extra calories just like before :D

neverfinished
03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
WEDSENDAY-abs-triceps-biceps\

Dumbbell straight leg deadlift 4x10 35 dbs

Dumbbell side bend 4x10 70,70,80,80 dbs

Lever seated crunch 4x30 legs straight out in air

Machine crunchers 4x10 140lbs

pulldowns with double rope attachment 3x10 80,90,100

skull crushers 3x10 40,50,60

Db curl 3 x 10 25,30,35,40(failed on rep 17/20)

20Gs 3 x 10 50,60,70(crashed and burned on 70)

comments
today i realized how the high volume of my arms was killin me overall and wastin my time so i took out dips and close grip bench and put in skull crushers and pull downs so i can progress in other lifts

also my diet was around 2500 today so im not down to my 2000 yet and i dont think im going back that low because it just causes me too fall off the diet as i get fed up with starving all the time so at 2500 i am much more comftorable

neverfinished
03-27-2009, 12:57 AM
thursday-cardio

2 and a half hours basketball

30 min bike riding pretty intense

comments
SORE AS FUCK FROM YESTERDAY but my abs hit hella pr's yesterday so its guuud :P

B.Money
03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow thats some serious cardio action!

neverfinished
03-28-2009, 03:47 AM
Wow thats some serious cardio action!

haha ty on that note

friday-cardio/shoulders

shoulder press db 3x10 25,45,50(failed at rep 8 first time doin that weight tho)

side raises db 3x10 30,40,45

lateral raises 15,17.5,20 ive been stuck at these weights for a while :/

45 min bike riding

2 hours basketball

neverfinished
03-29-2009, 02:33 AM
saturday-lazy day ate a shitload at a family event it wasss soo good id guess i took in aruond 4000 calories today :/ i really need to stop messin up on the weekends but its hard to stay motivated on the weekdays if you cant mess aorund on the weekends

neverfinished
03-29-2009, 03:10 PM
sunday-weigh in day/MY FIRST DAY ON REDPOINT FITNESS
i got good news and great news
good news=209 lbs now i lost 4.2 pounds this last week even with my poor dieting so thats nice to see even tho idk where it came off i dont feel lighter
GREAT NEWS=im with redpoint fitness and i dont have to spend hours making my own diet and workout routines anymore

neverfinished
03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
moving log over to redpoint

neverfinished
07-27-2011, 04:09 AM
well i guess ill update this,I gotta cut weight again. Reading back through this log i sound like a faggot. Heres a late apology for that.

Current cond. is 260lbs at 6,2. Guess you could say i've had too many cheeseburgers over these last few years.

Plan is a push pull legs routine along with some dieting

Hopefully get to that 200 point again.

Anyways i gotta go get a gym membership again and figure out my diet plan

neverfinished
08-02-2011, 01:30 AM
got my old gym membership at 24 hour re upped and cancelled my golds membership i wasnt using. Place was ghetto as fuck with no pool/hot tub or sauna, Noo thank you :wavey:. Anyways im going to run a push pull legs routine along with some HIIT as im working as a mechanic now and really cant afford to be walkin around like i got a stick up my arse after my workouts as i gotta pull a 8 hour day right after in some steel toed boots. No diet plan yet, Just going to aim for 2500 calories intake.

Currently about 250-255 pounds at 6,2 (and a half)

Goals pretty simple, drop down to 190 and see where to go from there.

neverfinished
08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
started out at about 600 calories for breakfast
cinnamon toast crunch+milk and some yogurt
240 calories for a bottle of coke
600 calories for a quiznos chicken carbonara
sun chips for 210 more
220 calories for some apple juice
200 more for some rice/milk
400 for a burrito
total for today is 2,470

neverfinished
08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
wedsendays workout went well for a starter it was my pull day.

HIIT Cardio
3x3mph
1x6mph 146 Heart rate
2x3mph
1x7mph 174 HR
1x3mph
1x8mph 180 HR

deads 3x8 115,135,135
Form was pretty shitty. Just gotta relearn it i guess.
BB curl 3x8 55,65,75
20g's 2x20 40,40
shrugs 2x10 60,60
reverse curl 3x10 40,50,60

B.Money
08-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Damn, been awhile!

neverfinished
08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Damn, been awhile!

good to see you again man

Well not anything good to say about this weekend. Booze and party food as well as eating out made up my whole diet. Overslept so i couldnt workout this morning... :noway:

neverfinished
09-13-2011, 06:03 AM
I have been unable to do the morning workout thing and i dont see it happening any time soon as im running 11 hour days between work/college + homework and life. So i just finished a 4 hour homework session with 3 redbulls and i figured since im going to be awake anyways i might as well hit the gym. Just got a good gym session in at about 2 am. I think im gonna try to keep this late night working out thing goin, I know its not nearly as beneficial as morning workouts as far as metabolism goes and max lifts but as of now i just really dont have the motivation to do the morning work outs.

5 minutes of streching
10 minute walk 4.0 mph 1.0 incl
Db bench 10,8,10 35lbs
DB shoulder press 3x10 25lbs
DB raise 3x10 15lbs
DB flys 3x10 15lbs
tri push down 2x100 1x140
BW abs 2x20
Weighted abs 3x10 140,140,140

Nothing impressive or even good really but im just happy to be active again. I need to get some momentum going.

In other news my true weight seems to be about 248,thats first thing morning weight before any consumption and no food/drink 9pm the night before.

exmgtoo
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
started out at about 600 calories for breakfast
cinnamon toast crunch+milk and some yogurt
240 calories for a bottle of coke
600 calories for a quiznos chicken carbonara
sun chips for 210 more
220 calories for some apple juice
200 more for some rice/milk
400 for a burrito
total for today is 2,470this is terrible btw....

neverfinished
09-14-2011, 05:02 AM
this is terrible btw....

I know :(

neverfinished
09-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Little late but heres wedsendays work out
Deadlifts 3x8 95lbs,Spent about 20 minutes doing these trying to focus on form. Im a fairly tall guy (6,3) and i have a bad tendency to kind of let my back make a wave motion as i come up and i know this is begging for injury so im working hard to correct it. Then my other biggest issue is keeping my arms from hitting my knees.

BB curls 3x8 65,75,95

Reverse curls 3x10 30,40,50

Db rows 3x10 3x25 25,25,25

Crunches 2x20

Weighted abs 3x10 115,130,145

HIIT cardio
time/mph/incline
5x3.5x2.5
1x7.0x1.0
2x3.5x1.0
1x7.0x1.0
10x3.5x3.0

Working out when im ready to go to bed basically makes PR's impossible and gives pretty much no metabolic fat loss benefits not to mention HIIT seems very challenging to me after a long days work/school. Between the 2 i pull 12 hour days mon-fri. Not sure if this is the right way to go but i dont seem to have the time to do it any other time besides the morning which for the life of me i cant wake up early enough to do :sulk:.