PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at IA's trap bar deadlift challenge

bruno
02-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I was reading IA's journal and saw he had an old trap bar deadlift challenge for max reps in 5 minutes. I guess the challenge was for 250, but I for some reason thought it was 275 so I did that. I had never done anything against the clock before so this was really cool. I would say it is the hardest set I have ever done though. Suprisingly I didn't feel these at all in my back and just had a crazy pump in my quads.

The trap bar I use has the handles raised a little so it's easier due to the slightly shorter rom, so just want to say that. Also, I normally do paused reps for deadlifts but since this was against the clock I did touch-and-go reps for as long as possible, though my the end I was taking big pauses between each rep. I lost track of time but strangely enough I failed at just about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYKkoUd5TPI&feature=channel_page

megalift
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Great job bruno!!

iron addict
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
BTW, here is info about the original challenge for those interested:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4321&highlight=deadlift+challenge

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4333&highlight=deadlift+challenge

IA

bruno
02-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks mega.

I guess I should have read the directions more carefully to know I should have done 250 rather than 275. Oh well. That was a tough challenge though.

IA, I don't how you did that several weeks in a row when you were trying to beat your numbers.

HIThopper
02-19-2009, 05:02 AM
I hope next week is a deload !!!

Well done mate.

offroad
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
That was cool. I'll have to try that. Nice job.

iron addict
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks mega.

I guess I should have read the directions more carefully to know I should have done 250 rather than 275. Oh well. That was a tough challenge though.

IA, I don't how you did that several weeks in a row when you were trying to beat your numbers.

Bruno, after the actual last one that I entered I literally could barely get out of bed for days, and felt like absolute dirt.

Wesley

Sand Blaster
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
^That was a common phenomenom....many people got sick showing how a max effort for reps on a DL can tank your system.

SB

iron addict
02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I think SB would likely smoke everyone if this were done today with all the conditioning work/heavy sled work he has been doing as of late:D

Wesley

Jas0n
02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
brutal stuff mate - totally expected from the likes of yourself!

bruno
02-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Bruno, after the actual last one that I entered I literally could barely get out of bed for days, and felt like absolute dirt.

Wesley

Did you feel sick or just really sore? I'm definitely feeling it today, and sitting in small desks for class probably didn't help.

^That was a common phenomenom....many people got sick showing how a max effort for reps on a DL can tank your system.

SB

I find that deadlifts really sap me more than other lifts. I am just thankful the challenge didn't call for using the straight bar. I like the trap bar because it is a littler easier on the lower back. During the set I acutally didn't feel my back much but I had a huge pump in my quads, grip (even with straps) and traps. Today my quads are fine but my back and traps are feeling it.

I think SB would likely smoke everyone if this were done today with all the conditioning work/heavy sled work he has been doing as of late:D

Wesley

Yea I think that would be quite the show. Conditioning is probably more important than strength with that challenge, and I'm sure it's even more important with the bigger, stronger guys.

B.Money
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Hopefully I can remember to do this once I am a little stronger/better conditioned--looks....fun.

Your a deadlift machine bruno :D

iron addict
02-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Did you feel sick or just really sore? I'm definitely feeling it today, and sitting in small desks for class probably didn't help.

Both, I felt like I was coming down with a cold/flu and just overall didn't want to get out of bed.

Wesley

Doc D
02-20-2009, 01:08 PM
There was a recent DL for time competition online... Bodyweight for max reps in 90 secs. The winner got 73!

http://www.titlebash.com/movietitle.php?id=255&rn=&flv=497895ec333db

Nate Dawg
02-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I think G-S became physically ill for at least a week. Good job bruno!

bruno
02-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Both, I felt like I was coming down with a cold/flu and just overall didn't want to get out of bed.

Wesley

Geez that does not sound fun. It sounds like that contest was a killer.

There was a recent DL for time competition online... Bodyweight for max reps in 90 secs. The winner got 73!

http://www.titlebash.com/movietitle.php?id=255&rn=&flv=497895ec333db

That is crazy stuff because the guy didn't have straps. With straps I think that bodyweight deads for 90 seconds really wouldn't be too tough and would almost straight cardio, but without straps that would be hard.

I think G-S became physically ill for at least a week. Good job bruno!

Thanks man.

Halfway
02-21-2009, 06:36 PM
that looked unpleasant. I can only imagine how much fun putting on your shoes or going to the bathroom must be in the days after that. Good stuff