PDA

View Full Version : 3 new exercises, form check

David1991
12-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I just switched 3 exercises of my workout

front squat ----> box squat
SLDL ----> Good mornings
1-arm DB row ----> modified t-bar rows (Thanks to the link slyfox posted :) )

Box squat: I read Dave Tate's article on this and I think my form is good but I'm wondering about the bottom position. Are these supposed to be harder than traditional squats? I guess some of the stretch-reflex is gone when you sit down? I tried doing a very short sit and going back up and it was significantly harder than just touching the box and going back up. Which is the correct way I should be doing?

Good mornings: First set was bad but I tried again and the next 2 sets seemed good. I have a video so any critiques are welcome. sorry about the bad quality, my basement is dark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsA5akl8T9E
Cant see a lot but hopefully you can see the general motion

Modified t-bar rows: I'm basically putting the weight on the end of the bar and rowing it up with one hand over the other. As far as I've seen it's just like a normal T-bar row but I don't have the handle. It seemed to be good, but I had to support my self up tensing my legs more so than traditional BB rows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5YuPhmpC0g

Thanks for the help

Papa_Pauly
12-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Both videos are very dark (as you mentioned) but here to goes....

Good Mornings - You're using too much leg movement in this exercise and looks like a bad squat. Keep the knees slightly bent and back straight. Bend at the hips and avoid bending the legs any further. Your depth is good.

Modified T-Bar Rows - Looks good to me.

Box Squats - Although many lifters is various depths for this movement I believe the best rule is to go to parallel. Sit all the way back on the box and then start the trip back up. It's helped my regular squat alot.

Hope this helps.

David1991
12-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Both videos are very dark (as you mentioned) but here to goes....

Good Mornings - You're using too much leg movement in this exercise and looks like a bad squat. Keep the knees slightly bent and back straight. Bend at the hips and avoid bending the legs any further. Your depth is good.

Modified T-Bar Rows - Looks good to me.

Box Squats - Although many lifters is various depths for this movement I believe the best rule is to go to parallel. Sit all the way back on the box and then start the trip back up. It's helped my regular squat alot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely agree with the good mornings, you should have seen the first set lol. I'll work on keeping my legs straighter

As for the box squats, so you actually fully sit down when doing them? Like I said I notice its a lot harder when I actually sit down rather than touching and going, do you find that to be the case as well?

dbcb314
12-20-2008, 09:50 PM
You should sit on the box unless you are just using the box for depth reasons

David1991
12-20-2008, 10:37 PM
You should sit on the box unless you are just using the box for depth reasons

Ok, I may need to use less weight then unfortunately. Is the overall point to help build explosiveness at the bottom?

Do you find you use less weight for the box squats vs. traditional back squats too?

Papa_Pauly
12-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I've found box squats really help handle the heavier weights at the bottom. Currently I handle more weight using the box which also helps me feel more confident with heavier poundage.
Check YouTube for examples by the best lifters. All of them sit right back on the box and then start back up with monstrous weights!

David1991
12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I've found box squats really help handle the heavier weights at the bottom. Currently I handle more weight using the box which also helps me feel more confident with heavier poundage.
Check YouTube for examples by the best lifters. All of them sit right back on the box and then start back up with monstrous weights!

Ok I'll do that now, thanks everyone for the help. Looks like I'll have to decrease the weight for now to get form completely correct and then go up from there.

ang.1
12-21-2008, 04:34 PM
here ya go. box sqt instruction from the big guys themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_GrU4mhqc&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t156u5VuBTw&feature=channel_page

David1991
12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks I'll check those out now, I need to improve on being able to sit all the way back while staying under control. I'm not really bad at it but theres definitely room for improvement

dbcb314
12-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Ok, I may need to use less weight then unfortunately. Is the overall point to help build explosiveness at the bottom?

Do you find you use less weight for the box squats vs. traditional back squats too?

Then use less weight. Anyone* that does box squats to depth the right way is going to lose less weight than free squats, unless they have horrid form problems.

This is one reason box squats are so great... you can use less weight and still get the same effect.

The overall point is to make you stronger lol

*I am going to say almost anyone. just to save myself from being quoted and people saying "I know someone..."

David1991
12-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Then use less weight. Anyone that does box squats to depth the right way is going to lose less weight than free squats, unless they have horrid form problems.

This is one reason box squats are so great... you can use less weight and still get the same effect.

The overall point is to make you stronger lol

lol ok, I was under the misunderstanding that you could use more weight with box squats. I'll lower it by 15-20lb. or whatever is necessary to get the form right

Thanks again

iron addict
12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Have a flashlight? Or even a candle? I quit looking the after about 5 seconds of darkness.

Guess how many fingers I am holding up now. Hard to do without seeing huh?

IA

David1991
12-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Have a flashlight? Or even a candle? I quit looking the after about 5 seconds of darkness.

Guess how many fingers I am holding up now. Hard to do without seeing huh?

IA

um....4? lol :D sorry my basement is dark and I was using my phone camera because it was all I had and I was hoping seeing the general motion would be enough. The t-bar one is a little better because of the angle but it's still a little blurry. In the future I'll get some more lights (or candles :D) down there if I'm recording.