PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Lift You Will Ever See...

dbcb314
12-14-2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpRChwpmaM

Coan

901 @ 220lbs

USPF rules... so same day weigh ins (so he is a true 220) and he pulled raw

2nd highest sumo pull ever. The next lightest person to pull 900+ was 268lbs.

B.Money
12-14-2008, 12:37 AM
beautiful....coan is a true inspiration, just awesome.

Joe
12-14-2008, 01:30 AM
ONE of my favorite lifts ever by far, but Kutchers 793 @ 165 beats that forumula wise... Coan was definitely a freak of nature. The scary part is I dont think he tapped into his full potential either. He couldn't figure out how to use a bench shirt and went raw there. He just trained progressive overload and while it worked for him I'm betting other methods would've worked better. Chuck told him if there were Ed Coan twins and one trained w/ him and one did what Ed was doing the one training w/ Chuck would be totaling 200 lbs more.

Rich_S
12-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Awesome lift.

Here's my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivhv5znPg0

Hatfield squatting 1014 at 255 lbs and 45 years old. Narrow stance, in a singlet and t shirt, with old school belt and wraps.

Hoops
12-26-2008, 10:28 PM
ONE of my favorite lifts ever by far, but Kutchers 793 @ 165 beats that forumula wise... Coan was definitely a freak of nature. The scary part is I dont think he tapped into his full potential either. He couldn't figure out how to use a bench shirt and went raw there. He just trained progressive overload and while it worked for him I'm betting other methods would've worked better. Chuck told him if there were Ed Coan twins and one trained w/ him and one did what Ed was doing the one training w/ Chuck would be totaling 200 lbs more.

How does not using a shirt mean he didn't reach his potential? He just reached his raw potential...

JohnnyBoy
12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Skar was blatantly referring to Coans basic potential for strength.

Its funny how you took it as a shot at RAW lifting though...

kelsey
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
DUDE THANKS FOR THAT VID!!!!

I have been looking for that one for a long time!

I almost bought the video for 30 $ from rickey dale crain.

the speed on that lift is phenomonal

Joe
01-12-2009, 12:56 AM
How does not using a shirt mean he didn't reach his potential? He just reached his raw potential...

Well you see Hoops. He competed in a federation where his opponents wear a bench shirt. Coan couldnt figure out how to use one. So he probably left 100 lbs off his total seeing as IPF meets that Coan competed in weren't done raw. So while his squat, Dls, and totals are legendary, he could've hit even larger #s had he been able to use one. Don't even try and play devil's advocate here, there is no argument.

Doc D
01-12-2009, 05:21 AM
He just trained progressive overload and while it worked for him I'm betting other methods would've worked better. Chuck told him if there were Ed Coan twins and one trained w/ him and one did what Ed was doing the one training w/ Chuck would be totaling 200 lbs more.

Well, if Chuck said it, then it must be true. Poor Ed - if only he had known the truth!

I am aware of and respect your convictions, but as bizarre as it sounds, there are many ways to achieve the same goals, and not all of them are equally effective for each individual. I know how I learn most effectively, but I also know from teaching over the years that my method is not optimal for everybody. The same applies, I suspect, to training methodology.

Joe
01-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Well, if Chuck said it, then it must be true. Poor Ed - if only he had known the truth!

I am aware of and respect your convictions, but as bizarre as it sounds, there are many ways to achieve the same goals, and not all of them are equally effective for each individual. I know how I learn most effectively, but I also know from teaching over the years that my method is not optimal for everybody. The same applies, I suspect, to training methodology.

But there's a LOT of methods better than progrssive overload. Who ar Ed's training partners and why don't you know about them? Do the strongest gyms out there use progressive overload still?

Doc D
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
But there's a LOT of methods better than progrssive overload. Who ar Ed's training partners and why don't you know about them? Do the strongest gyms out there use progressive overload still?

The point that I made is categorically *not* that Ed's method is best for everybody - or, mutatis mutandis (as you would have it), that Westside and derivatives are the best for everybody. The reality is that people are individuals and that they prosper through different methods in many aspects of their lives. Fans of bodybuilding will be aware that champions have been produced by a variety of different approaches, with low vs. high volume being perhaps the most obvious example. Proponents of each camp will argue that the other method is not optimal, but each side has produced champions - often ones who have adopted their approach precisely because the other method did not work for them. Anybody who argues that Dorian would have been better if he trained like Arnold, or vice versa, is ignoring that fact that both tried different approaches and did not fare well on them. Who is to say that the same would not have applied in the case of Ed Coan?

Just because you and I may be convinced of the merits of a given approach does not mean that it will work for other people. If I allowed such thinking to condition my professional activity, I would be be an appalling pedagogue.

As for 'strongest gyms': this rather disingenuous question opens a completely different can of worms (lax judging, multi-ply lifting, disparity between national perceptions of excellence and reality of international competition, etc.) which I should not wish to distract from the issue at stake.

Joe
01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I didnt say anything about Westside. I'm well aware differemtn methods work for everybody.

Answer my question, out of the strongest teams,clubs or gyms who still uses Ed Coan's methods of training and why not? Don't deflect by saying "they're multiply" gyms.

Just because Ed put up some of the best #s PL-ing has ever and maybe will ever see doesn't mean he used the best methods for him.

iron addict
01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Hard to argue that Ed wasn't the best powerlifter of all time. I think he could have done even better if he trained conjugate, but that is speculation at best. I do know if he were using today's equipment those numbers would be scary.

IA

Doc D
01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm well aware differemtn methods work for everybody. [...] Just because Ed put up some of the best #s PL-ing has ever and maybe will ever see doesn't mean he used the best methods for him.

Not does it mean that he did not: one cannot be certain. Or, rather, I cannot be certain: you and Chuck, however, apparently are certain, since you pity Ed for not having seen the light in terms of effective training method (my apologies for beliving that Chuck has used Westside (and derivative) methods - apparently a misapprehension on my part). This - if I might be so bold - contradicts the first part of the comment cited above.

Doc D
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
In a separate response: I am not well enough informed to say which the strongest gyms are, nor whether all members use specific methods. My first step would be to look at the IPF weight class champions for the last 5 years and proceed from there to identify similarities of approach. Given that the majority of these lifters are East European, and that their methods are not publicised in the same way as those of lifters in the west, it would be difficult to ascertain (unless one assumes that, by reason of geographical proximity (very relatively!), they all follow Sheiko!)

While this might rile you, since I take performance in the IPF as the principal reliable indicator (remember what I said about cans of worms?), this is the benchmark that I would use in evaluating the question. Of the few US lifters who have fared well in the IPF (I'm thinking Siders, Hooper, etc.) - given that their methods are probably easier to access - are there overwhelming similarities in approach?

Joe
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Hard to argue that Ed wasn't the best powerlifter of all time. I think he could have done even better if he trained conjugate, but that is speculation at best. I do know if he were using today's equipment those numbers would be scary.

IA

I thought the same thing if he used today's equipment. When he did give today's equipment a go he was too far from his prime. He probably would have set records that weren't beaten today.

Not does it mean that he did not: one cannot be certain. Or, rather, I cannot be certain: you and Chuck, however, apparently are certain, since you pity Ed for not having seen the light in terms of effective training method (my apologies for beliving that Chuck has used Westside (and derivative) methods - apparently a misapprehension on my part). This - if I might be so bold - contradicts the first part of the comment cited above.

Well, you can take that up with Chuck as far as Westside goes. I'm saying if he used other methods he probably would've gotten even stronger. Ed is one of the few who PO worked well for.

Would Babe Ruth be a better baseball player had he trained like the guys today? IMO, Babe probably wouldn't of made a profesional team today.

iron addict
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
BTW, we have a great example on this forum of someone that does poorly on conjugate. One of the strongest board members (also a moderator) here is Halfway. We have guy here that is brute strong. He can match Krocs insane dumbbell rows and can dip 250 + bodyweight x 3 amongst other absolutely stunning lifts. He tried training conjugate and states it doesn't work for crap for him. He says he trains real basic and just keeps running the same lift for long periods of time (kinda like Ed) and this is what works for him. So.....the answer is.....well there is no answer but many things work for different people.

IA

Sand Blaster
01-12-2009, 12:03 PM
One of my old training partners did not do well on WSB. He tried it for about 18 months, and while the rest of us got stronger, he didn't in the same way. He trained a lot like Kazmaier did, a lot of volume and a lot of weight. He went off WSB and added 25lbs. to his bench in four weeks.

SB

Doc D
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
So.....the answer is.....well there is no answer but many things work for different people.

Sic dixit magister, sic credidit discipulus... quod erat demonstrandum!

Halfway is a great example (although one might argue that he is not training for PL comp, but for more general purposes). I've also noted with interest Jim Wendler's progress on his 5-3-1 approach (although he of course has his own vested interests in promoting this), which is the same lifts, cycle after cycle, with increasing weight.

I will not sully this discussion of greats and notables with my own meaningless experiences.

Joe
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
For the record, my argument doesn't have a lot to do with Westside methods but mostly the fact that I believe Ed would've gotten stronger doing something better than progressive overload. My point was Chuck and Lou thought had Ed just trained at Westside his total would've been higher. I thought so too but I'm not saying that he definitely would of either.

My training partner has done PO for 20 years and was way too stubborn to try anything diffreent. His best lifts were 455 raw bench, 515 raw squat IPF style, 600 with wraps and a belt, and 625 deadlift @ 45 years old @ BW 183 lbs. Damn good lifts if you ask me. However he started tearing muscles left and right and he finally started incorporating other methods in his workout and he started to hit PRs again without injury which is another reason I don't like PO-- I think it puts people at risk for injury. My point was there that I have examples where someone has used different methods other than the ones that have made them super human strength and it's worked also.

Doc D
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought so too but I'm not saying that he definitely would of either.

This is a much more reasonably stated and argued point, with which I thoroughly concur. Chapeau!

president_fad
01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
gimme a few years and youl be posting vids of me and saying that.

And i also agree that kutchers 793@165 is just as impressive if not more than coans. And i also think that kutcher was very close to 165 on the day of the meet. He had done meets at 181 and was way under the max KG to do 181 at that meet.

gear or not, on dl it dont do a whole lot and 793 is just plain sick.

sparkymark7
01-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Kutchers and Coans DL's are both crazy. Whilst we're on the subject:

http://www.ironscene.com/videos/1687_andrey_belyaev_375kg_deadlift_at_90

825lbs at 198. Mental.

As for training methods I don't do well on Westside style training. The max effort work screws with me mentally if I'm doing it too regularly and burns me out. I need higher volume and lower intensity (68% average of 1 rep max) for longer periods of training. My volume has gradually been increasing over the past couple of years as has my totals. I also need to do the same exercises I'm going to be tested on, so squat, bench deadlift. Nothing fancy added to them.

Who knows about Ed.

letemlaf
01-30-2009, 03:09 AM
thats quiet impressive to say the least

OralTribulations
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
For the record, my argument doesn't have a lot to do with Westside methods but mostly the fact that I believe Ed would've gotten stronger doing something better than progressive overload. My point was Chuck and Lou thought had Ed just trained at Westside his total would've been higher. I thought so too but I'm not saying that he definitely would of either.

My training partner has done PO for 20 years and was way too stubborn to try anything diffreent. His best lifts were 455 raw bench, 515 raw squat IPF style, 600 with wraps and a belt, and 625 deadlift @ 45 years old @ BW 183 lbs. Damn good lifts if you ask me. However he started tearing muscles left and right and he finally started incorporating other methods in his workout and he started to hit PRs again without injury which is another reason I don't like PO-- I think it puts people at risk for injury. My point was there that I have examples where someone has used different methods other than the ones that have made them super human strength and it's worked also.

don't agree with you at all.

Joe
03-15-2009, 02:52 AM
don't agree with you at all.

That's fine. Through experience I know that progressive overload may work for some. It might even be the best for some (though I've never met anyone who could claim that).The strongest, baddest mofo's on the planet right now do NOT follow a traditional PO routine. It's outdated, by many years. Most use some form of progressive overload but the days of calculating how much you're going to lift in a certain amount of time are for the most part over.

The two strongest gyms on the planet right now are Westside Barbell and Big Iron Gym. The Ukranians and the Russians have some great lifters as well. None follow the traditional gradual progressive overload system. That should tell you something right there.