PDA

View Full Version : Critique my overhead squat form

Doenitz79
12-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Doing this lift seriously for the first time.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0Gq735Cfs

Angel of Death
12-12-2008, 05:09 AM
They look really good. Don't come off your heels: remember to use your heels to generate force. I am very surprised your back did not round at all. And you went very deep too. Great work. The only thing I could say is that maybe you need a wider grip and a wider stance but each to his own regarding that - I for one like a narrower grip than most people when I do OH Squats. So it is upto you. Good job on the depth. Very cool! :)

Richard85
12-12-2008, 05:11 AM
what purpose do the overhead squats serve? you guys trying to compete in the olympics?

Angel of Death
12-12-2008, 05:15 AM
what purpose do the overhead squats serve? you guys trying to compete in the olympics?

OH Squats aren't an olympic lift.

However, OH Squats are a very humbling exercise. I started doing OH Squats to develop more hip mobility and work on my butt wink on the regular squat. In addition to that I wanted to build a stronger core.

I think OH Squats are one of the most difficult exercises out there - whatever minor flaws you have in your regular squat or deadlift form are magnified times hundred when you do OH Squats.

Try out OH Squats Richard and you'll see what I mean. They basically hit almost each and every muscle in your body - when I did them for the first time I felt muscles in places I didn't know muscles even existed.

But, like I said: don't take my word for it. Try them out. You have very little to lose and lots to gain.

Doenitz79
12-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Actually,Andalite,I fell flat on my ass on my first set while doing it. Didnt keep everything tight,couldn't come out of the hole and ended up on my backside.

Yes,OHS is a very humbling experience and really good for the core-never felt my core so tight before while coming out of the hole.

Richard85
12-12-2008, 05:22 AM
OH Squats aren't an olympic lift.

However, OH Squats are a very humbling exercise. I started doing OH Squats to develop more hip mobility and work on my butt wink on the regular squat. In addition to that I wanted to build a stronger core.

I think OH Squats are one of the most difficult exercises out there - whatever minor flaws you have in your regular squat or deadlift form are magnified times hundred when you do OH Squats.

Try out OH Squats Richard and you'll see what I mean. They basically hit almost each and every muscle in your body - when I did them for the first time I felt muscles in places I didn't know muscles even existed.

But, like I said: don't take my word for it. Try them out. You have very little to lose and lots to gain.

I bet they are difficult... I'm sure its a pain in the ass to hold the bar above your head and squat at the same time... then again it's a probably a pain in the ass to squat while standing on a stability ball ;)

SoupDragon
12-12-2008, 05:51 AM
I tried OH squats once and my arm went completely numb and stayed that way for the next hour or so. It was scary :eek:

Sorry to ask a noobish question - whats the deal with that barbell, I have never seen one like that before.

offroad
12-12-2008, 08:49 AM
That's awsome. I hate overhead squats, they are so hard. I started with a broomstick and couldn't even get to parallel. I eventually worked up to 135 lbs, which is nothing. My biggest problem was leaning forward, I'd end up with a big arch in my back, and still my heels would want to pop up. I finally just gave up on them.

megalift
12-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry to ask a noobish question - whats the deal with that barbell, I have never seen one like that before.

It's called a log. It's used in strongman competitions.

Angel of Death
12-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I bet they are difficult... I'm sure its a pain in the ass to hold the bar above your head and squat at the same time... then again it's a probably a pain in the ass to squat while standing on a stability ball ;)

It's not the same thing at all actually. Both exercises are very different....but whatever - each to his own.