Height-hopefully still 6'2"

Long term goals
200 pounds. Bench- 275 Squat- 350 Deadlift-405

Lets do this

Starting on MON
:rock:

Richard85
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
wow... you seem pumped up and you haven't entered the gym... I'm sure you'll do well bud

ktm_Wrench
12-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Nutrition

Breakfast

mmmm

3 eggs
2 pieces wheat toast
1 cup Oatmeal
Water--the secret ingredient

Snack time

Peanut butter and banana sandwich
mom's packed bag of peanuts/raisans. Will add almonds soon.

Lunch

Brown Rice
Chicken
Some sourdough bread
oh and some water
Maybe a vegetable too, that i will most likely fling at friends

After School/Pre w/o
Protein Shake ON
Turkey Sandwich with the works
Green Magnitude baby

Dinner
This is the mother's deal
Usually consists of a carbohydrate like rice, and a meat like chicken. And a vegetable

Pre Bed
Ultra Peptide 2.0 Strawberry of course
Fishoil
Vitamin
Zinc
Glucosamine

And to top it all off, cottage cheese.

And water

And, I have no idea how much im eating, but it looks good to me. And it's way more then I have been eating.

dbcb314
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
You have no portions listed, but your protein looks too low from a glance.

Lunch meat doesn't give you a lot of protein. Neither does peanut butter. 3 eggs like like... 20g or something close to that.

If you want to get big, eat like you want to get big. protein and lots of it.. 1.5g per bodyweight at least.

ktm_Wrench
12-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Ok man thanks. Im going to add a meat product and some more egg whites to my morning breakfast, hopefully some nice lean ham. Il add a protein bar(22g) to lunch as well.

ktm_Wrench
12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
12/01/08

Stretch Routine
Rowing on erg machine for 3 min at a 2:20 min 500m pace (ex rower)

Squat

45x5
95x5
135x5
185x3x5

Felt AWESOME! My knees didn't click and my form felt great. I attribute this to my new Adidas Sambas, a flat shoe after wearing stupid running shoes squatting. I really focused on "sitting" down and my hip drive.

Pull-throughs

3x10 on some ridiculous numbered weight, like "10" or something

honestly, this felt pretty damn awkward. I kept falling backwards. I had no clue how to warm up on this exercise.

Bent Over rows

45x6
65x6
75x6
95x4x6

Felt good. I did NOT do Pendlay stlye rows. Is this okay? My body was more at a 45 degree angle.

Barbel Curls

50x3x8

Warmup for these or no?

Calf Raises

30x2x9
45x3x12

OUCH :). I did these seated, on this nifty thing. yay or nay?

Overall the workout went well. Squats felt great. Honestly, i feel this works me harder then bill stars, because the work sets are a constant weight. I havent felt that burn in my legs since rippetoes.

Day 1 finished!

Billsterl
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
just warm up for squats, and maybe 1 or 2 warm-up sets for your second exercise, but your barbell curls and stuff is unecessary for warm-up, especially after your rows

how come you're squatting 30 lbs lighter than your 5 rm max? and i thought simple power routine had 2 squat work sets,

and doing calf raises with your calf stretched out as musch as possible works the calf more completely(ex, donkey calf raises), i think the seated calf raise only works mostly the outer head of the calf

ktm_Wrench
12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I believe he has it as 2-3 work sets. I squatted at 185 because of the three worksets. I came off of a 5x5, so i only would do 215x5 once. I am going to lower the workset to 2, and up my squat weight to 215 and see how it goes. For my calves, I realized I could use the smith machine and do standing raises. So only warm up on my first two exercises? Also, the pullthroughs seem very easy, but awkward. I already had it on one of the higher weights. Is that normal.

Thanks!

ktm_Wrench
12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
12/3

Stretch
Row 3 min at 2:10

Bench Press
45x8
95x8
155x3x5

Staying at this weight next week. My shoulder didn't act up and my wrist surprisingly felt good. I have some black mamba 12" coming my way. However, I have been thinking about switching to dumbells, considering I have NEVER dumbell benched, and kinda hit a plateua on my last 5x5 (165x5)

Incline Dumbell
20x8
27.5x8
30x4x8

Easy, moving weight up next time. For some reason it felt easier at 30 than 20.

Seated Militay (WTF)

45x8
80x5
65x10

Then I go, This feel awkward as hell, Im gonna finish my sets standing.

Standing

65x2x10

WOW, I seriously have zero muscular endurance from all of my strength training. I usually can press 95x5 easily when standing, but today 65x5 still felt light, but i just couldn't push it up. Really f'in weird

Skull Crush

1x10 at 60---too heavy
2x10 at 50

gotta work on form. felt good tho

ab

3x15 with 10lb weight

The workout felt good, but my arms were killed halfway through and I could NOT military press. I am thinking that i want to do dumbell bench, incline barbel bench, and dumbell shoulder press. I think this would give me some experience on different lifts.

ktm_Wrench
12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Stretch
Row

Deadlift

95x5
115x5
185x3x5

Are there words to describe the amazing-ness of this lift?

Leg Press

70x10
6 plates total x2x10

Not sure about form on these. Knees felt a little odd. I wish I could get more ROM but I didn't feel like lifting my heel would be smart.

Lat Pull Down

Ok, the machine at this gym is ridiculous. It NUMBERS the weights. There is no conversion chart. It is completely random, it sucks. I am not going to lie i forgot the number I did.

i think #8 4x6

Felt alright. I want to build my back and shoulders for pull-ups though.

Curl

60x3x8

Wrist hurt a bit. Will stick with weight.

Calves

Didn't do them due to lack of time. Tonight was my city's annual xmas tree lighting, so i didn't want to miss it.

Should I do calves tommorow?

Yeah. I liked this workout. Especially the deadlifts. It was nice to get a more direct quadricep workout with the leg press. I feel much fuller from the higher rep range already. Though I know it is just blood flow my confidence is up and im ready to rock and roll

Goodnight fellas.

ktm_Wrench
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Incline Bench

45x8
65x8
95x5
125x3x5

Difficult, interestingly. I expected much more, but i have ever done this lift before. The weight feels light, but I was having difficult pushing it up towards the end of all three sets. I really need a spot.

Flat dumbbell Bench

27.5x8
35x8
40x2x8
50x2x8

I feel VERY confident with this lift. First time doing it and it feels easy and good. Mid set i decided to step it up a notch. I'm glad i did because Im going for 55x4x8 next week.

Military seated dumbbell
35x3x8

Hard. Keeping weight.

Tri-pushdown. I know the location of the pin but do not remember the weight. Keeping weight next time

Abs

3x10 w/25lber. Looked awkward. My abs are weak.

I cannot wait to squat and deadlift.

Question: For seated dumbbel, do you sit at a bench that supports your head and back, or one that only supports your upper back? I tried both, but it felt better on the shorter one.

Feeling good. Ready for wedneday. Im gonna hit it hard.

Oh, and my APT Wrist Straps came, which will hopefully salvage my bench due to wrist issues. My left shoulder still hurts from the motion though. :(

B.Money
12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
nice work man, for me all I have is the short one, or I can set an incline bench at the highest incline that somewhat resembles supporting your head and everything.

I much prefer the short one--but if its being used then I made do.

B.Money
12-09-2008, 12:09 AM
with the curls--I noticed if I used a BB it ALWAYS hurts my wrists. I cannot do a curl bar or straight, only dumbells. I just switched that up recently.

And if you miss something like calves--its no big deal dude, if your serious than your here for the long run and 1 exercise will never be noticed.

If your having probs with bench by all means try out db. Lots of guys screw up their shoulders/pecs on bench--"doggcrapp" always has his trainees use db's I believe.

IMO, and what I have read on here, is that if you know how to bench correctly your problems will be minimized. IE: pinching shoulder blades, tucking elbows, low groove, arch in back, etc.

Edit: Also looking back on your log I am not sure if you have revised your diet or not yet--but definitely make sure your getting in that 1.5g per pound of body weight. So that means:

248 grams protein on OFF/RESTING days

and try to shoot for 330 grams on workout days (this includes a PWO shake) what I do is eat exactly the same as my off days, and a 60-90g protein shake will drop me right in the "2g per LB" for the workout day.

also since your not fat like me you can eat a decent amount of carbs throughout the day, and always get PWO carbs. In my experience I gain muscle (and for me, a little fat..unfortunately) much more quickly when im not "counting carbs" (low carbs)

ktm_Wrench
12-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the advise. I think i am going to give bench a shot next week again to see how my wrists acts with the new wraps. I just recently saw a very detailed instructional video on this site actually and yes it mentioned the things you said. Bring in blades; tuck elbows etc. Today the dumbbells felt great, and i think i can progress very well with them, so if bb bench doesn't go well next week i will switch to that. Diet wise I have definitely upped my protein intake. In fact I just boiled 14 of those foster farms chicken breasts :). It's very difficult to eat enough when Im stuck at school, but i am hoping to get into a rhythm. Christmas break im going to be anal, just to see how it is. Now I gotta hit the sack to get my 8 hours of muscle sleep.

B.Money
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
haha, yeah eating right seems to be the hardest part for me too with school. Cant wait to be off.

anyway keep up the good work man!

ktm_Wrench
12-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Stretch

Squat
45x5
95x5
135x5
210x2x5

Felt good. Tough, but good. I think im going up next week, depending on how i feel.

Pullthroughs

Heavy 3x10
I dislike this exercise, really do. It hurts my elbows, actually. Any alternative suggestions other than GHRs?

Bent Row
120x3
115x6 Bad form
105x2x6

Pretty much all over the place. I need to work on this.

Barbel Curl

60x3x8

Destroyed, pretty much.

Calf Raises

3x10 with 35 lb plates on smith. I didn't go too heavy because I didn't know what to expect.

For kicks i tried 120 lbs excluding the bar, and it felt AWESOME. Definitely going heavy next time.

QUESTIONS

Pullthroughs: My elbows hate these. I find this exercise to be incredibly awkward as well. Any alternatives?

Bent Row: Parallel to floor pendlay style or not?

Weigh in with shoes and full stomach: 174!!!! :) I definitely feel fuller, however I feel i am carrying a lot of fat in my legs/hips. Anything I could take/try that could remedy this? Could estrogen be the culprit? My dad carries zero fat on his legs and hips, mostly his torso, so it is worrisome.

Thanks guys, Im going to destroy lives Friday.

B.Money
12-11-2008, 01:49 AM
I think your stuck with GHR or pullthrougs pretty much. I would say SLDL but IA has mentioned the impact it has on the nervious system would cause a lot of guys to overtrain.

I like the pullthroughs actually haha. Sure they look funny, but how does it hurt your elbows? Are you doing them like shown in IA's "this is how to do a pull through" thread?

For bent rows honestly I would say do them however you feel most natural for now. Only problem is, for me, when the weight gets heavy they turn to shrugs.

I would not worry about the fat right away--but I am not an expert on this by any means. You can make a thread, but I feel you will get many people saying everybody stores fat differently and not to worry about it.

Helikaon
12-11-2008, 11:47 PM
The determination and energy you've shown is excellent, I'm enjoying it. We are of a similar size, and I'm just about to start training, so it's good to read your logs. Keep up the good work!

ktm_Wrench
12-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Glad to have you along for the ride! I have a long road ahead of me.

FINALS next week.

SHIT.

Senior year and im worrying about finals? Not cool. I am trying to get accepted into UC Berkeley/UCLA and my chances are good, so i want to maximize these chances. Therefore the stress is ON. I WILL NOT let it affect my training, for this will adversely affect (effect?) my studies. I feel so much better on training days it is crazy. CRAZY.

My heart rate/adrenaline is up just thinking about tomorrow!

:uzi: tomorrows weights

gonna kill it

ktm_Wrench
12-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Questions:

What do you guys think of low cable rows as an alternative, not necessarily a replacement, for bb rows?

I cannot do a 4x6 of pull ups. Should I continue to do Lat Pull downs until I have the strength? Or should I do cheat pull ups? Lower the rep scheme?

Thanks!

ktm_Wrench
12-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Stretch

No Warm up

Bench
45x5
95x5
115x5
155x3x5

Better than least week, but it is still a push. I got all the reps out, however. Three or four of the reps were 2 inchs or so above my chest. I feel like its innate to prevent myself from getting crushed. If I have a spot ill jump it up 5 lbs next week.

Incline DB Bench
35x5
45x3x8

Tough, but good. Guys my shoulder is REALLY starting to hurt. I had to push through it to get through my incline sets.

Shoulder Press
30x8

Ouch, calling it a day to prevent further injury to my left shoulder.

Skullcrush

50x3x10

Good. Moving it up. Really trying to isolate the tricep.

Decline Abs

3x10 w/10lbs

Honestly, workout was disappointing. I expected a stronger bench and did NOT want my shoulder to act up and it did. I think it is because I went so heavy on the incline dumbell.

Question:

What do you guys suggest I do to prevent my shoulder from getting worse. Lay off vertical pressing movements? These movements are when it acts up. It is fine when my shoulder is not rotated.

Thanks

Gotta go eat some pasta, drink some protein and go to a dance party with calves that are sore as hell.:thumbsdown:

Dedicated1
12-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Personally when something starts to hurt I call the work out quits and take at least a couple of days rest preferably a week, not worth injuring yourself.

Google shoulder rotation exercises there are many that should help strengthen you rotator cuff and deltoids.

Helikaon
12-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Listen to him, all I've read so far of any experienced lifter is that as soon as something starts to hurt they stop their workout right then and their and take some time off the weights, it isn't worth pushing through the reps only to injure yourself greatly and lose weeks and weeks of training.

ktm_Wrench
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Guys no training for me today. I am letting my shoulder and wrist rest for a week. I figure it is the right thing to do and it works out because i have finals this week. I may do some low-mid intensity cardio throughout the week.

ktm_Wrench
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Wow. So i was planning on doing some GPP heavy rowing cardio training this week while I let my shoulder get better. But as I was on my way to school my back COMPLETELY spasmed out, and my lower back has been aching since then. I am PISSED. I feel like a slug and it sucks. This week has been bad. Diet has gone down the drain and im aching all over (shoulder, elbow, lower back). Not to mention a Heavy load of finals. Next week im jumping right back on the horse if i feel better.

Finals have gone fairly well, so i guess that is a positive.

I got accepted to Cal Poly as a biomedical engineer also, so that's cool.

Here is my cardio plan

The days following my leg work i will incorporate heavy resistance rowing with resistance elliptical. I will do this on Mondays as well. (If i have no leg work that day)

Helikaon
12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
That sucks man :( rest up.

Congrats for the other stuff however!

B.Money
12-18-2008, 09:16 PM
rest up and get back into it when your better! nice work with cal poly!

ktm_Wrench
12-23-2008, 03:32 AM
12/22

5 min low intensity on treadmill

10 min HIIT training 1min on 1min off. (lvl13)

2 min of row climb at 40 lbs minus bw

3x10 abs

3x10 calves w/ 205

--Felt lethargic from not working out. I had to go out and do something.

12/23

bike 5min low intensity

Squat

45x6
95x6
115x5
205x2x5

Felt good. Wow a week off makes you WEAK!

Pullthroughs

Pussied out on these, basically. I did one set and felt NOTHING beneficial. I am thinking I got my form wrong. I dont like this exercise.

Rows

65x5
75x5
105x2x6
95x2x6

Lost a bit of strength on these. I know I can do 100 lbs perfect form.

BB curls

3x8 at 60

uh oh. Little sharp pain in the middle of left wrist. :( . I wore my wraps too. I am done with BB curls now and moving to dumbbells next time.

Calf Raises

3x15 with "205" (smith)

Felt good. Wrist is making me worry. Should I trade in my 12" wraps for 24"? We'll see how it acts on wedneday's pressing movements.

NOTE- Doing Heavy Row or Elliptical GPP training after leg days (so tommorow)

Also incorporating HIIT on elliptical on the weekends. SAT or SUN depending on leg schedule.

I am currently researching Shoulder Rehab work and will be incorporating various techniques on my off/hiit/gpp training days

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLAS

B.Money
12-23-2008, 03:42 PM
haha yeah if I take a week off I feel a little "off"

Regardless keep it up man!

by the way, the pullthroughs have to be HEAVY to start feeling them. I do them as heavy as my footing allows (without slipping back). I go all the way down, head almost to my knees with a rounded back, then explode up.

ktm_Wrench
12-23-2008, 03:46 PM
That's what I figured. As I go heavy, however my elbows give me pain. Are you using the ripe? Also, is there a ghetto way to perform glute ham raises?

B.Money
12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
whats the ripe?

Theres many ways guys have figured out how to do GHR's.

-if you have a partner, have them hold your ankles while on the ground
-backwards on lat pulldown machine, stuffing the back of your feet under the bad your quads usually would go under, benefit to this is you can use a rope attached to the cable to help you get up (since these are hard as hell) if the seat is not wide enough, drag over a bench.
-heard of guys using smith machine with heavy weight, bar low enough to go over the back of your ankles (as if someone was holding it for you in my first example).

there are probably more too--these are just the ones I have heard of when people dont have a GHR machine.

ktm_Wrench
12-26-2008, 11:26 PM
12/26

Bike for 5 min

No stretching as I have been informed static is a no no pre w/o.

**Dynamic Stretches? I NEED IDEAS!!!!**

DL

45x8
95x5
115x5
125x5
185x3x5

Man I had to push it though these. Damn heavy. I will increase though. I have been too damn timid with this lift.

Leg Press

6 45's 2x10

How far down do I bring these? I bring it too close to chest and my heal lifts.

Lat Pull down

2x8
3x8
5x6
4x3x6

4~ The "weight" setting

Dumbell Curl

27.5x8

Feeling the sting in my left wrist

25x8

Screw these for now. They are not doing anything for me and they are just irritating my wrist.

Calf Raise

45 and 35
3x15

Workout was good. My new shuffle sounds GREAT in the gym. :)

ktm_Wrench
12-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Confession:

My Diet. Has been HORRIBLE. Tomorrow I am going to get back on it. I think I am going to try out the TCD, but we'll see as fat is NOT something I really need to lose at <170 lbs.

Post in my thread guys....... :(

Do i need to start posting some scandalous pics?

B.Money
12-28-2008, 03:06 AM
ktm, at your weight I would recommend a 1/2 TCD. I would still get in at least 1.5g protein per BW a day, but only eat carbs for your first 1-3 meals and cut them out your last few meals of the day. Still take in PWO carbs.

In my limited experience gaining strength and size is MUCH better with this approach. If you start gaining fat simply cut a carb meal out and replace with a protein/fat meal. (40% min fat in CALORIES, roughly half the grams of fat per protein meal)

I will probably soon switch back to this since I was gaining much faster. I am on a TCD right now with carb loads once a week with high carbs and have been gaining better by eating a shit ton of carbs on my carb up days, and eating small amounts of carbs throughout my "low carb" days. If I lower the carbs to much my gains slow to a crawl.

But like I said, I think at our age simply cutting the carbs later in the day, and including cardio should be enough to keep fat at bay while gaining masss.

Helikaon
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Google is your friend, and mine!

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/dynamic.htm

Dynamic stretches :)

ktm_Wrench
12-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys!

12/28

Bike for 3 min

HIIT on elliptical at level 15. 1 min on 1 off for 12 min.

I was pissed because 2 ellipticals broke while i was using them, so my 12 min is an estimate.

I did some basic static stretches upstairs

Tried out that dynamic shoulder stretch IA loves so much.

ktm_Wrench
12-30-2008, 02:05 AM
12/29

So I went snowboarding today. Man was that fun.

But i didn't miss! Pretty proud of myself haha.

Incline DB

25x8
27x5x8
40x5
50x3x5

Not bad, not bad. Felt easy. Just my damn shoulder feels "off". Doesn't hurt, just a slight dull pain. I think this came from doing shoulder rehab work too--i think that fuckd my shoulder up a little more.

DB Bench

5x8 ---Don't know why i did this lol
27.5x8
55x4x8

Felt decent. Definetly was able to push it up. Strength wise i should move up to 60s. Joint wise, I am not sure. DAMN JOINTS. Shoulder felt a little odd still, but not enough to quit.

Tri pushdowns

50x3x10

Felt GREAT. I dig this exercise. Isolation at its best.

Military

I am NOT going to mess with my shoulders, so i am cutting out every overhead press from the program for a while. It is not worth the possible setback.

Abs

Short and sweet w/o today. Had no time really. But now i know i am going for 55 on incline and 60 on bench next time!

ktm_Wrench
12-31-2008, 04:36 PM
I am pissed off. I go down to the gym at 1:00, thinking that 2:00 is when they close--because it usually is. Christmas Eve they close at 2:00, so idk what the fuck this place is doing. So i miss my leg workout. I was going for 220 (pr) today on squats, but NO. 5 lb setback next week i guess. Damn.

I had an awesome breakfast too. 5 eggs, 3 pieces of turkey bacon and toast. I guess it's okay. In the whole scheme of things its wont matter.

ktm_Wrench
01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
1/02

Flat dumbbell

30x8
35x8
60x3x5 (PR)

Incline Dumbbell

50x3x8 (PR) i think

Felt Good

Skull Crushers

60x3x10

HARD. Staying with this weight for sure.

Abs 3x10 with 10lbs

Kept it short and sweet. Didn't think too much--just lifted heavy. I am going for a pr on both incline and dumbbell next week. I chose not to wear wrist wraps today, and voila no wrist pain. Interesting. Shoulder pain was almost nonexistant, however it did feel "tight" after words. Feels good now. My shoulders do feel a little "poppy" when it gets heavy--i dont know if it's formor what.

*I have not been incorporating any shoulder work just to save them.

Also, i am looking to do some shoulder rehab work. I tried IA'a method of using the pole in front of you then keeping arm straight and rotate back. This irritated my shoulder pretty bad.

ktm_Wrench
01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Row for 12 min 1 min ON (1:50/500m) 1 min off (2:50/500m)

Monday
Squat 2-3 x 5 (2 if I'm trying to break through a stall)
pullthroughs 3 x 10 with band
Chest Supported row 4 x 6
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8 (If my wrists feel ok. Probably will do it more "hammer" style.
Calf Raises 3 x 15 on smith

Wednesday
DB Bench Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8 (When shoulder permits)
Skull Crushers 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10

Friday
Deadlift 2-3 x 5
Leg press 2 x 10 with cybex
lat pull-down 4 x 6 (Will move to pullups when strong enough)
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday
Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10 Monday

The routine. Just to keep you guys updated on what's going on. IT does not look like I will hit my goal weight or strength but I am ok with that. Injuries did not help, and it just makes me want to push harder and eat better.

1/05/08

Row for 4 min

Deadlift
45x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
190x3x5 (PR)

Worried about form. Will get video and belt ASAP.

Crazy leg press machine

6 plates 3x10

legs definitely enjoyed this. Shoulder's not so much as they hold some of the weight.

Lat Pull Down

4x6 at level "4". "5" feels still too heavy

Reverse lat pull down

3x8.

Felt weird. I will experiment with more bicep work that doesn't hurt my wrists. This isn't the one.

Seated Calf

3x15 with 70 lbs.

OUCH. But a good ouch. I am going to switch between this and standing.

ktm_Wrench
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
bike 4 min

Squat

45x7
95x5
135x5
145x5
210x2x5

Felt heavy. Hurt my wrists a bit, and left rotator cuff.

Chest Supported Row

4x6 80lbs

Hamstring Curl

3x10 at I forgot. Im going to do GHR's when my sister gets home to hold my ankles.

Reverse Grip pulldown

3x8 at "5"

Calf Raise on Smith

3x15 225 lbs. A little on the heavy side.

My Birthday's tomorrow! 18 years old. Kinda weird actually. Im going skiing on Monday too!

B.Money
01-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Woo Hoo KTM's legal tomorow!

ktm_Wrench
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Yup 18 today. What should I buy first? Cigarettes, porn, lottery tickets or butane gas and a lighter? Should i just save the money and go to a strip club?

Today I'm doing some GPP Row stuff at the gym.

Tonight, 14 oz prime rib and sweet potatoes baby! I know you are jealous!

zpapa21
01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Happy B-Day KTM. Keep it up.

B.Money
01-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Yup 18 today. What should I buy first? Cigarettes, porn, lottery tickets or butane gas and a lighter? Should i just save the money and go to a strip club?

Another steak! mmmmm!

happy b-day man!

ktm_Wrench
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I am in the process of researching/purchasing a new multivitamin. People have so many opinions on what the best it to take..it is really giving me a headache. I am also going to buy a weight belt--most likely a single prong one from ATP.

So far I have been leaning towards NOW Adam's Superior pack for men with added MAgnesium, but i am really not sure. Beverly, Animal, and Ornage Triad look good but are damn expensive. Anybody want to decide for me? :)

B.Money
01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I am in the process of researching/purchasing a new multivitamin. People have so many opinions on what the best it to take..it is really giving me a headache. I am also going to buy a weight belt--most likely a single prong one from ATP.

So far I have been leaning towards NOW Adam's Superior pack for men with added MAgnesium, but i am really not sure. Beverly, Animal, and Ornage Triad look good but are damn expensive. Anybody want to decide for me? :)

I wont decide for you but I will give you the best choice by a long shot. USANA essentials.

Its expensive--but it actually is absorbed! Don't be fooled by the lower dosages, again because its being ABSORBED!

ktm_Wrench
01-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Hit a pr on flat db today

70x3x5 woot woot. Felt heavy as SHIT, but I got them all up. Hopefully I will have a spot next time and go for 75x5. MAN im getting strong with these dumb bells.

Again, for now no shoulder specific movements. As of tommorow I will begin shoulder rehab work for two weeks, then return to shoulder work depending on how it feels.

As for a vitamin, that USANA is damn expensive. I researched it up and I am extremely skeptical of it. Supposedly that Nutritional Supplement guide was written as a bias for USANA. But who knows. I think im going to go with NOW Adam for a month and see how I feel. I am also going to buy waxy maize, magnesium, and a powerlifting belt. I was going to buy Inzers 4" single prong but it was $20 shipping! I X'd out QUICK.

B.Money
01-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Nice PR man! Unfortunately it seems things always feel heavier and heavier...

yeah the usana is expensive, I actually have been taking that multi for awhile now long before that thread was created. BUT now you have me thinking! :D

You never can be sure about this stuff man, I will admit. Its impossible to really know what the best products really are unless you have a lab at home and can test it one way or another.

Who knows, in a few years they may come out with studys showing multis are bad and should never be taken. All we have got is "I heard this" or "so and so recommends this" but in reality...those guys really dont have a clue, and the guys that MAY have a clue, may just be pulling your leg to sell you something.

edit: in case your curious, I based my opinions on a couple of different things. I continually read how important it is to get natural extracts, instead of synthetic extracts, from a couple different sources they can range from not being absorbed, to toxic. Synthetic versions are MUCH, MUCH cheaper..but are "technically" the same product on the label, and can resale for a cheaper price because of this.

Another thing I noticed was how through they were on the USANA website and how they continually tweak their product biased on "their findings". Not sure how important this is, but I liked the fact that when they changed something, they informed about how they screwed up in the past and how they changed it, and by how much, and the reason why. It just was interesting to see some pride in the product I guess.

Lastly I researched a list of "Pharmaceutical Grade Nutritional Products"--I posted it up in a thread a little while ago on here but forgot what the list was called. But supposedly there are only some "certified" manufacturers. Dont ask me certified from whom or for what reason other than "pharmaceutical grade" because I dont remember haha, but usana was in there, I believe NOW was in there, and a whole list of other brands that I guess "earned" their right (or payed for, who knows) to be there.

ktm_Wrench
01-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow sorry no updates for a while. I did not workout today--I am feelinga cold coming on and i am doing what IA told me. Don't work through a cold. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and make up my lost leg day. Also, I played indoor soccer on sunday and today i am SO sore. NOT good when i have legs on monday. I think i may switch to a Tue, Thur, Sat. But we'll see.

Bmoney, yeah nobody really knows. Despite all the shit I know goes on in this world I still try to have some trust in people. I don't want to live my life in doubt and uncertainty. Guess you gotta have hope. Damn im preachy after all these movies i watched today. :)

ktm_Wrench
01-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Squat

PR!

220 3x3. Felt light as a feather.

Think im going for two plates next time! :)

Problem- My left shoulder hurts immediatly after I unrack The "throb" pain eventually subsides. It is making me nervous.

Chest supported row

90x4x6 Easy. Movin on up next time. Oh and PR for this exercise!

Reverse Grip Pulldowns (for bicep work)

My wrists started hurting! ARGH! This is why I chose this over bb curl. Damn.

Pullthoughs 3x12 w/red and green band. Love these with bands.

Calf raises on smih

225x3x15

B.Money
01-21-2009, 02:15 AM
nice PR's, I had the same thing with BB curls, switched to DB's and have not looked back since.

ktm_Wrench
01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Bike 5min

Flat db bench

75x3x5. PR! (+10 total lbs)

Uh oh shoulder is slightly acting up. I am going to stay away from incline/shoulder press

Skull crush 60x7

ow elbow.

Tri extensions 3x12

Ab work

3x10 machine
3x10 leg lifts

I am going to deload next week after my deadlift pr. Deadlift doesn't seem to affect my shoulder at all, so im going for it. 215 deadlift hopfully.

Sand Blaster
01-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Good job on the PRs.

SB

ktm_Wrench
01-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks SB, I appreciate it.

So my teacher is a genetic FREAK. I was getting help after school and I passed by the weight room. This 280 lb teacher , who is at school from 6:00-8:00 everyday and lives off the same food as my 100 lb Physics teacher puts pp 405 lbs on bench! It didn't even look like he struggled! I thinked he easily could have put up 3 or 4 more reps, seriously. Crazy. God damn Samoans. If only he ate right and trained right.

Helikaon
01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Haha yeah its not often I see a 'small' Samoan.

B.Money
01-23-2009, 02:04 AM
lol damn, yeah samoan dudes are huge, went to hawaii and saw the biggest guy I probably have ever seen haha.

ktm_Wrench
01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Deadlift

205x3x5 !!!PR+10 lbs!!!!

Leg Press

325x3x10 PR +20 lbs

Lat Pull Down

4x6 level 5

Reverse Grip Row

3x8

Seated Calf

90x3x15

Ab work

The workout took like an hour and a half because a friend was there, but, PRs regardless!

ktm_Wrench
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
For my deload next week i am thinking about cutting the sets in half roughly , and having my work set be 80% of my maximum. So for dumbbell bench press, for example, my 3x5 at 75lbs would be a 2x5 at 60lbs. I am going to focus more on bodyweight exercises, like dips, pushups, sit-ups, chinups. Hiit cardio will be implemented 3 days next week. My diet will stay the same---try to hit around 300g portein, 200g carb and 100g fat.

ktm_Wrench
01-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Made an awesome discovery tonight--ground BEEF. Cooked a pound of it with salt, pepper, garlic salt, worchesuer sauce, wine, and a slice of cheese. Tasted AMAZING. I need to find a way to make it taste good with a lower sodium level, however.

ktm_Wrench
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
A diet I can EASILY follow.

Meal#1

3 eggs, 3 egg whites
1 cup milk, 2 scoops casein, .5 cup oatmeal

Meal#2

Natural Valley Bar
Apples
Protein Bar low carb 20+ grams
(Help me with a protein source here peoples. This is my hardest meal.

Meal#3

6 oz chicken, 1 cup brown rice and brocolli
OR Nevada City Sandwich from Raleys. Consists of whole wheat bread, 4 oz chicken, 2 strips bacon, lettuce, tomato and ranch.

Meal #4

2 cans of tuna with big tablespoon of mayo

Meal #5 (pwo)

1 cup milk
2 scoops whey
1 scoop Waxy Maize

Meal #6

6 oz chicken, beef, or fish
1 cup brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread
Handful of Veggies

Meal #7
Cottage Cheese and pineapple chunks

Now this meal plan would be super realistic and incredibly easy to follow. When I have the time I will load it onto fitday and check its macros. In the meantime, applaud, scoff, and/or advise. :)

ktm_Wrench
01-28-2009, 11:23 PM
1-28-09

10 min Row at 2:20 5m split average
12 min Elliptical at 10 setting

3x20 knee raises

Some quick shoulder stretches.

Cardio was boring as hell today w/o headphones, but it felt good. No joint pain really at all, but I know it's there hiding. I have been eating fairly well. I am not sure whether to keep supplementing with creatine while i am not lifting heavy.

ktm_Wrench
01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Bike 3min
Elliptical 3min

Leg Extension 3x10

Squat

45x2x10

Wow, i think it is squats that are F-ing my shoulders up...

Leg Press

140x3x10

Chest Supported Row

20x10
25x8
45x6
90x4
115x1
140x1

Seated Calf

70x3x15

Pullthroughs

2x10

40 reps of Dante's shoulder saver
3x10 band pull aparts
3x10 band shoulder presses

ktm_Wrench
02-01-2009, 02:24 AM
10/31

Last deload day

DC Shoulder stretch 50 reps----OUCH. Should i do this even though it hurts slightly?

Elliptical 4 min

Light Flat DB Bench 50% fullout

Light Incline DB Bench 50%

Shoulder 3x8 machine

Tri Extensions w/rope light 3x10

Weighted decline abs 3x10

Oblique raises 2x10 w/25lbs

Messed with this unilateral hammer strength chest press 95x3x8

Incline Treadmill for 10 min

So basically, ya it was just a shit show. I can't wait to get back into my normal routine. I am still going to lay off the shoulder-specific workouts for a good 2 weeks before I start back light. Tomorrow I have another indoor soccer game and I hope I can keep my shoulder in good shape.

ktm_Wrench
02-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Today's food.

307 protein, 177 carb, 107 fat
43%/24%/33% ration (not sure how that worked out...)

2897 Cals

Fairly happy with today's eating. I would like to get more carbs, a bit less fat, and maybe 20 grams more protein. Tell me what you think.

ktm_Wrench
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Just had a 2 day trip up to the snow. It was a TON of fun, but I am SORE as hell. My neck hurts, my ribs hurt, and my GOOD shoulder got fucked. I crashed hard--I was going fairly fast and did not see a 6 foot drop and basically landed right on my ribs and right shoulder. Man I kept telling myself to take it easy too.

On top of that, it was a TERRIBLE weekend of eating. With 30+ people sharing a cabin is was bad carb city. I probably had 50 grams of protein all god damn weekend. Didn't take multi's, protein, fishoil, or creatine. Basically, I feel like shit. I also only got 5 hours of sleep each night, and NOW I have to go to a soccer game. wow.

:(

ktm_Wrench
02-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Bike 5 min

Medicine Ball Throws

Some band pull aparts

Bench Press (yes flat bb)

I just wanted to see where I am with these.

I got to 155x5 and it felt heavy :(

I switched to dumbbells and went 60x2x5

Incline Dumbell Bench

45x4x8

These felt decent. My shoulder just pops and cracks and doesn't feel smooth.

I just didn't feel all that great and my shoulder acted up slightly.

Seated Shoulder

27.5x3x8

These actually felt good. Zero shoulder pain. It is pretty girly weight though haha.

Tri Pushdowns

Level 13 3x10 felt STRONG

Abs

3x10 decline w/25 lbs
3x8 knee ups

zpapa21
02-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Way to enjoy yourself this weekend anyhow KTM. Its important to get out and enjoy time outside the gym, sorry to hear about the shoulder. Rest up and you'll come back better for it.

ktm_Wrench
02-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Way to enjoy yourself this weekend anyhow KTM. Its important to get out and enjoy time outside the gym, sorry to hear about the shoulder. Rest up and you'll come back better for it.

Yup it was a whole lot of fun. I worked out today with no pain, so that was nice! I believe my form on DB bench press is putting too much stress on my deltoids, causing them to feel more than sore, almost bruised to the touch.

Today, 2/12/09

Row 5 min

Band Pull Aparts 3x15

Deadlift

45x12
65x10
95x8
135x5
185x3
213.5x3x5 (1.75lb clamp rings) (PR!)

Felt solid. I NEEEEED to get a belt and get a video up for everyone to critique.

Leg Press

2 45's x10
4 45's x10
6 45's+ 2 10's x3x10

Felt fine. Knees a little "iffy"

Lat Pull Down

Level 5

4x6

I seriously can't get it up to the unknown weight of level six. I think I may switch to actual pull ups or those reverse pull up things Bruno does.

BB Curl w/ EZ Bar

+30lbs x 3x8

First and last set felt fine. Second set gave me that sharp wrist pain. :(

Seated Calf
3x15

Later

ktm_Wrench
02-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Just made my first purchase at trueprotein.com

3 lbs whey protein isolate ultrafiltrated

4lbs Miscellar Casein

2 lbs Creatine mono

All for 106 bux.

I am excited to try this company out. I originally had 4 lbs of Team Skip but I decided against it because it was about 10 bux more. I'll use my whey only after working out and the casein throughout the day.

ktm_Wrench
02-14-2009, 06:48 PM
row 4min

pull aparts

shoulder warm ups

incline db

27.5x12
30x10
35x8
40x5
50x3
55x1
60x3x5 (pr i think)

No pain= happy

Flat db
55x2x8
50x2x8

Tri Pushdown
13x10
12x2x10

Abs
3x10 + 20lb

Nothing hurt. The shoulders were fatigued after flat db, so i opted against the shoulder press to prevent an injury recurrence.

How do you guys dumbbell press? Is the dumbell always perpendicular to your body? Do you being it parallel as you get closer to your body? What is the best way to limit shoulder stress?

zpapa21
02-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Just made my first purchase at trueprotein.com

3 lbs whey protein isolate ultrafiltrated

4lbs Miscellar Casein

2 lbs Creatine mono

All for 106 bux.

I am excited to try this company out. I originally had 4 lbs of Team Skip but I decided against it because it was about 10 bux more. I'll use my whey only after working out and the casein throughout the day.

What flavors did you go with? Congrats on the deadlift PR!

ktm_Wrench
02-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks! I am LOVING deadlifts. It is my favorite lift for sure.

Strawberry Cream and the Double Dutch Chocolate. I kind of wanted to try to orange creamsicle but i played it safe.

ktm_Wrench
02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Sorry for the poor consistency in my logs, i have been very busy with school.

Yesterday I completed 70x3x5 flat bench EASILY, and i know I can move it up next week. I have been timid with incline db, but i am up to 50x4x8. I don't want to awaken the shoulder injury. Shoulder work is a no for me at the moment, but my shoulder has been feeling better, so soon they may be incorporated.

I received my true protein order and am pleased with their quick service even through the holiday. The taste is far inferior to the Xtreme Formulations casein mix i was drinking before, but is alight. The taste is VERY, well, light. I can barely taste the chocolate in the double dutch. The strawberry cream Miscellar Casein doesn't taste too bad, but it is definitely not a joy to drink.

Also, I ordered a belt finally! I went with a med APT 4" Single hole (the blue one). I am excited and it should come tomorrow just in time for deadlifts.

EDIT--Also, I have discorverd a new form of GPP in my OWN HOUSE!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d69/clutch_09/summer_skiers_edge.jpg

It is a very well made machine and is fun to use as well. It's called a Skier's Edge Machine. My Dad bought it a few years back for like $800 and it hasn't been used. Sweet. It has just been laying at the foot of the parents bed. Must have thought it was furniture or something..

Helikaon
02-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Lol, i've seen them. Pitty you snowboard :D (snowboarders rule btw). Keep up the good work and don't fuck your shoulder. Think its time I gave in and ordered a belt from the U.S. Bye bye money!

ktm_Wrench
02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
2/20/09

Row 5 min LI

Band Pull Aparts, Arm circles.

10x hyperextension

DL

45x12
65x10
115x6
155x5
165x3
195x1

5,4 (PR!)

Well, I felt exhausted after the 4th rep on the 2nd sets and called it quits. My belt hasn't come yet so I don't want to screw it up before I even get to try it on. :)
Anyways, most weight I have ever put on the bar for DL!

Lat Pull Down

2x10
5x4x6

Last set added a 2.5 plate. ___WOW did NOT even know they had these little plate things. DAMN I could have been progressing so much better!

Leg Press

6 45's 2 10's. 3x10

Leg press is stupid, but front squats hurt my shoulder/elbow too much nowadays.

Alternating dumbbell

30x3x8 or 30x3x16

Seated Calf Raise
45 and 35 3x15

Felt wonderful.

All in all a GREAT workout. Some pain in the back from DL, but that is expected with a new PR. Any day with a PR for me is great.

It took my about 1.5 hours with those DL warm up sets. Am I doing too much?

ktm_Wrench
02-20-2009, 09:58 PM
My mom works at a church and the preist always gives her free stuff. So today my mom comes home and gives me a surprise. The guy gave her USANA Miomega Optimizer, USANA Antioxidant, and USANA Chelated mineral to give me! Wow, the GREATEST DAY EVER! Seriusly like 70 dollars worth of great products!

YEAAAAAHHHH!

plus he gave me 5 bux to nations!

ktm_Wrench
02-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Bike 5 min

Band Pull Aparts

Squat

45x12
65x10
95x7
125x5
145x5
185x3
205x1
220x2x5

Didn't do the last set due to a shoulder pain. Beside that, it fel AWESOME with the belt. I felt so stable! I'm going to be hitting pr's soon.

pullthroughs

3x10 double red and short red

chest supprted row
110x4x6 (pr)

db curl

30x3x8

Hard, lol.

Abs 3x10 with 30lbs (pr) hella easy, im going to up the weight 10 lbs next week.

ktm_Wrench
02-27-2009, 02:19 AM
5 min treadmil walk at 3 speed

30 min 67% incline. Avg heart rate at 130.

This was my first of MANY LI cardio gpp days. For my job i the summer I need to be physically fit so i need to start this up, plus from what i have read it can do wonders for recovery.

Today was a bad day of eating. I spilled my protein shake all over the carpet before school, and I regrettably punched the wall after doing so. My knuckles bled slightly but luckily i didn't break my hand. That was so stupid.

vitaminx225
02-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Workouts look good ktm, good work.

ktm_Wrench
02-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Workouts look good ktm, good work.

Thanks, I appreciate you stopping by!

Andrew_S
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Good looking log! Stay healthy and keep resting those joints when they need it like you've been doing. Long haul! :)

ktm_Wrench
02-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Thanks Andrew!

Bike 5min

Band Pull Aparts, arm circles.

Flat DB Bench

70x3x5

It actually felt kind of heavy, which I am not so pleased about. Hopefully I can add a few more reps next time!

Incline DB

50x4x8

Man my shoulder doesn't hurt from this, but they feel weird. Like the bones rub or something, like small dislocations. not sure what is up.

Seated Shoulder Press

27.3x5
30x5
35x5

Still getting a feel for my shoulder. Seated shoulder doesn't seem to stress my past injury, so PRs should be on their way SOON.

Tri pushdown

13x3x10

Going for "14" next week. What happens when i max this out? (two more plates to go)

Seated Calf

80x3x15

I have been noticing a powerlifter at my gym lately. Today he benched 335x3x5, and I have seen him squat 550 for reps and dead lift around the same. He seems like a pretty cool guy--I think im going to start talking with him about training/ form. He is the ONLY person I have seen in my gym who squats, deadlifts and benches consistently.

Helikaon
02-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Lucky you, learn from him what you can. Seems like my gyms a bit of a dud when it comes to big lifters.

ktm_Wrench
03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Ya, i just need to get the balls to talk to him! I saw him there today. I can tell he uses some methods that IA and SB probably wouldn't agree with, haha. His warm ups are minimal for the amount of weight he is pushing/pulling. Today he was wearing spendex deadlifiting.

So, today, 3/1/09

Treadmill

5 minute warm up at 3 speed.

15 min LI 67% incline 3 speed

Band Pull Aparts, 3x15 double red

LOTS of stretching

Band Pull Aparts 3x15 double red

Internal and External rotations

light Frontal/lateral deltoid work with cable.

**Tommorow I am going to try and pull 220 DL x5. If it goes well I will try and go for 3 sets, if not I'll drop the wieght 5 lbs.

B.Money
03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Sounds exactly like the guy I have at my gym. Strong dude, but trains a little different. There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat. Who knows, maybe you could bring something up that he could learn from.

I dont have the balls to speak to that dude either.

ktm_Wrench
03-02-2009, 01:07 AM
I think a LOT of strong dudes have pretty simple mentalities. Lift heavy ass weight, eat, and try to lift more weight or more reps next time.

Sand Blaster
03-02-2009, 10:32 AM
^That's because it works.

SB

B.Money
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Who would have thought lifting heavy and eating dead animals would make you strong?? :D

Sometimes things are as simple as it seems!

ktm_Wrench
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Had an AMAZING day at the gym today! Probably my favorite training day so far!

3/02/09

Bike 5 min

Some internal rotations

DEADLIFT!

45x12
95x10
115x8
155x5
185x3
205x1
220x3x5! (PR!!!!!)

Completely ALL reps, smoothly. I felt sooo mcuh stronger off the floor. This was my first time using my belt with deadlifts. I am going up on weight FOR SURE next week!

Leg Press
355x3x10 (PR)

Lat Pull Down

5 setting w/3 small plates 4x6 (PR +2 plates)

BB Curl

wrist acted up. staying away.

Abs

40lbsx3x10 (PR!)

EASY! Going to add 10 lbs

Feeling stronger than ever!

ktm_Wrench
03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Bike 5 min
Band Pull Aparts

Incline DB
55x3x5

Flat DB
55x4x8

Shoulder
35x3x8 (PR)

Tricep Pushdown
14x3x10 (PR)

Abs
45x3x10

Good stuff today!

ktm_Wrench
03-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Treadmill walk 5 min

band pull aparts
arm circles

Squat
45x12
95x10
115x8
155x5
185x3
205x1
225x2x5 (pr)

My legs feel so much stronger but once again my shoulder gave me trouble. It sucks. I try a wide grip but i feel sooo unstable. Not sure what to do about this guys.

Pullthroughs

double red+red 3x10, elbow popped, ouch.

Chest supported rows

90x4x6. WEAK! I felt sooo weak on these today.

Barbell Curls

wrist hurt

Calfs

225x3x15

I really think I need a deload guys.

B.Money
03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
are you doing low bar or high bar for squats?

and how did you end up popping your arm on pullthroughs??? thats strange

ktm_Wrench
03-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, my elbow didn't really "pop", that was a poor choice of words. My elbow just suddenly hurt, and i immediately stopped. I think it is just the weird angle of my elbow when I reach in between my legs holding onto the band handles. I am doing low bar squats. It is my other shoulder that hurt today (right one). Embarrassingly i think I screwed it up arm wrestling my dad...i couldn't bitch out. (I beat him, though. :))

LiftingAddict
03-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Well, my elbow didn't really "pop", that was a poor choice of words. My elbow just suddenly hurt, and i immediately stopped. I think it is just the weird angle of my elbow when I reach in between my legs holding onto the band handles. I am doing low bar squats. It is my other shoulder that hurt today (right one). Embarrassingly i think I screwed it up arm wrestling my dad...i couldn't bitch out. (I beat him, though. :))

The pain is worth the glory! I remember the first time beating my old man, it felt great and he felt emasculated :D

ktm_Wrench
03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Maxed out on deadlifts today.

I got 245x1. Not bad eh?

Well, my stomach started hurting immediately after lifting. I think I may have given myself a hernia. My stomach ache JUST went away, so I am HOPING it is from all the sprouted wheat bread i had today. Anyways, I am SO happy with my 245 deadlift. I am definetly stronger! Not much bigger, but getting stronger.

ktm_Wrench
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
My stomach pain is nothing like it was. There is just a very dull pain that I have to try to actually feel. I am not too worried, however I do plan on taking next week off and go back the monday or wednesday following. If It still is giving me trouble, I will go see a doc and get his opinion. I am betting I either slightly tore something in my lower abdominal region or I have a VERY small hernia (1-2cm at most). I am going to keep squat and deads fairly light when I return to be safe.

Oh, there is some good news. I got into UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz!

B.Money
03-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Glad to hear your felling better, damn nice job which are you going to pick?

ktm_Wrench
03-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I am leaning towards Davis. It is close to home and I got into the Civil Engineering program. The campus is nice and the school is fairly prestigious. I also got into Cal Poly for engineering, so it is going to be a tough decision. Davis has an AWESOME gym..it is called the ARC, and they have a great top of the line meal plan at the cafeteria. That may factor into the decision a bit. :)

B.Money
03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Damn your lucky! It sounds like my friend may have a nice gym too and I am here stuck with a 24hr fitness! Best of luck man!

ktm_Wrench
03-21-2009, 01:09 AM
While doing my daily lifting "research" I came across a powerlifting gym in my area that is a very respectable place supposedly. It is called Diablo Barbell, and it looks fucking awesome...
It is literally 10 min away from my house. I am not sure if my parents would go for it as I'd have to cross a bridge (toll) every time, but still I never realized I had this so close. I think I should take advantage of it.

I am getting fed up with injuries. I know it comes with the sport, but whenever it seems I start progressing real well I get hurt then get weaker and the cycle continues. I hope I can find what works for me and can figure out how to keep progressing w/o getting hurt.

Check out that Diablo Barbell online.

ktm_Wrench
03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
I decided to give it a go today at the gym and see how I hold up. I am definitely weaker, which I am not too happy about.

Bike 5 min
Foam Roller, upper back low back, torso, side legs
Shoulder Stretch
Hamstring stretch

I kind of followed the 5/3/1 warm up protocol. I then walked into the weight room, saw my boss, and turned aroound. :). I rowed for 4 min, which was good because it warmed up my back and abs.

Kroc Rows

30x12
40x10
55x20
55x20
55x10

Lat Pull down
Level 4; 4x8

Set of abs on machine
3x10

Hammer Curls

20lbx3x8

I just read the 5/3/1. I absolutely loved its simplicity. I learned to quit being such and ocd homo and go to the gym and lift heavy weights. Make sure to get the big stuff done with and whatever after that is up to you. I am motivated to try NEW stuff, like Kroc rows, and just test might body in different ways. I am going to try to get out of that single minded rippetoe mentality.

I want to start the 5/3/1 as soon as possible. I am taking it SUPER easy right now just to be careful with my abdomen, but so far so good.

If I could get this moved to the teen section it would be greatly appreciated.

vitaminx225
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
rest up and get better. Be smart and dont over do it.

B.Money
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I keep hearing about this 5/3/1 deal, but have not read anything up on it yet, maybe its time.

Just don't mess yourself up man! You should be back at it soon if you dont make it any worse.

ktm_Wrench
03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
So, kind of had a bad day guys. I was trying to find out my 1RM using Jim Wendlers protocol. I took 80% of my guess max and repped it out. 135lbs. I underestimated my strength and ended up getting 14 reps. On the 2 last reps a fairly sharp pain came back directly above my belly button. I am pretty pissed off and am going to go see a doc ASAP.

ktm_Wrench
04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Went to the docs and I do not show any symptoms of a hernia. All I have is a slight abdominal muscle strain which should heal fairly quick. I went to the gym yesterday for a quick leg and back workout, and no abdominal issues. Though I did not squat and deadlift. I am ready to get started on the 5/3/1.

ktm_Wrench
04-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Monday

20 min incline treadmill walk

Ghetto Glue Ham Raise---2x10. This was awesome because I used the half stability ball for my knees and stuck my ankles underneath this wooden pole they have for bands. I used a band to assist me up and down. It slightly hurt my achilles tendon even when I threw a bar pad around the pole. Im going to do GHR's every day until they are easy. (Wendler's advice)

I also did circuit 1 of Diesal Crew's Shoulder rehab 7 day protocol.

This is a 7 day shoulder rehab protocol that can be implemented to maintain and restore shoulder health, function and stability.

Weekly Protocol
Day 1: Circuit 1
Day 2: Circuit 2
Day 3: Circuit 3
Day 4: REST
Day 5: Circuit 4
Day 6: Circuit 5
Day 7: REST

Each exercise in the circuit is completed for 12-15 reps and each circuit is done 1-3 times (runs).

Circuit 1:
DB Retractions
DB Protractions
Posterior Capsule Stretch

Circuit 2:
DB Cuban Rotations
Band External Rotations
Band Pull Aparts
Band Dislocates
Band Presses

Circuit 3:
Pull-up Retraction
Barbell Overhead Shrugs
Push-up Plus
Posterior Capsule Stretch

Circuit 4:
Incline DB Retraction
Prone "Y's"
Prone Internal Rotations

Circuit 5:
EQI Push-ups
Prone "T's"
Plate Halos

Extra Exercises that can be substituted in the circuits:
DB Internal / External Rotations
EZ Curl Cuban Rotations
EZ Curl Cuban Presses
Band Abduction / External Rotations

ktm_Wrench
04-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Here is what my 5/3/1 schedule will look like.

Wednesday- Assistance only

Dumbbell Bench or Incline 3x8
Lat Pull Down 4x6
Tri Extensions 3x12

Thursday- Boring But Big

531 Deadlift
Hanging Leg Raise 5x15
GHR As much as I can :)

Saturday- Boring But Big

531 Bench
Kroc Row 5x10

Sunday- Boring But Big

531 Squat
Leg Curl 5x10
GHR As much as I can

Off days I will do the shoulder rehabilitation protocol and walk on treadmill incline and run on incline after squat day.

Warm ups- 5/3/1 style with Diesal Crew's 2 minute shoulder warm-up

My maxes will be VERY low-balled to ensure long term progression. I see it as a smart way to ease back into training.

No MP due to shoulder issues.

B.Money
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
are you training at diablo BB?

I have see that place before online, looks sweet!

ktm_Wrench
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
I wish I was Bmoney. Sadly there is a bridge separating us, and 5 $ toll is just too much. It sucks because without the bridge I am <10min away from it.

B.Money
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
damn! yeah that would add up FAST, thats too bad man that place looks badass!!

ktm_Wrench
04-09-2009, 09:39 PM
First day of the 5/3/1

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Row 3 min
Hammy Stretch
Shoulder/Chest stretch
Foam Roller, quads upper/lower back

Deadlift

80x5
100x5
120x3

130x5
150x5
170x9 (had at least 2 more in me)

80x5x10

Jeeez. I felt AWESOME today. It was not too taxing, however it felt great. I was sweating bullets by the end.

Hanging KNEE raises
3x10

I was DONE. My hammys, quads, back, and abs are DEAD. That's what you get for taking 3 weeks off injured. :)

ktm_Wrench
04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
So I can barely move today. My glutes/hamstring/upper back are DEAD. I thought I pulled a hamstring last night, but I am just sore as hell. I think it is because of doing GHR's a couple days ago in addition to the 5x10 DLs. I have never lifted a barbell off the floor so many times in one day----though I know it is light. I am enjoying the change of pace so far. I have eaten terribly today, and I feel like shit for it----so I am going to make a big old steak for dinner.

Samsuperjew
04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
lol, have fun with your steak, it better not be any more cooked than medium rare though :p

VirgilsCrony
04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
So I can barely move today. My glutes/hamstring/upper back are DEAD. I thought I pulled a hamstring last night, but I am just sore as hell. I think it is because of doing GHR's a couple days ago in addition to the 5x10 DLs. I have never lifted a barbell off the floor so many times in one day----though I know it is light. I am enjoying the change of pace so far. I have eaten terribly today, and I feel like shit for it----so I am going to make a big old steak for dinner.

I love that pain, though, haha

thanks for dropping by my other thread and all, man.

good luck on achieving your goals

ktm_Wrench
04-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks Sam and Virgil.

Sam, it is tough because I cook in the oven. There is about a 30 sec window where it is over cooked or undercooked. It is either that, at 500 degrees, or wait 30 min at 350.

apfroggy0408
04-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Good lifting man

ktm_Wrench
04-11-2009, 11:52 PM
5/3/1

Cycle 1 Wave 1- Bench Press Day

Mill 4min 3.4 speed
Hammy Stretch
Chest stretch
quad stretch
random shoulder warm ups---some cuban rotations, internal/external rotations, band pull aparts

Bench

65x5
80x5
95x3

100x5
120x5
135x7

70x5x10

I wish I got more on the 135 set, but I didnt want to aggravate my right frontal deltoid more than it already is. At this point it is bearable and I want to keep it that way. I hit my reps/sets and that is what matters. I am giving myself room to progress that is for sure. Other than the SLIGHT shoulder aggravation throughout the entire warmup/worksets, it was VERY easy. My shoulder feels 100% right now, so that is a good sign.

Kroc Rows

27.5x10
35x10
40x5x10

I DIG this exercise. It felt great on my back and forearms and I have a feeling it is going to do wonders for my grip strength which previously has been a problem when DL repping above about 220.

slyfox115
04-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Good to hear the shoulder is feeling better. Another thing you can try for grip strength on deads is simply unracking a bar with heavy weight and holding it for time.

ktm_Wrench
04-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for stopping by Sly! My shoulders are weird...one week it will be my left the next week it will be my right. I honestly think it is partly mental...like I am focusing too hard on trying to feel the pain. Who knows...the rehab will continue regardless. Thanks for the grip idea...I will try that out next Wednesday.

ThomasH
04-12-2009, 12:52 AM
GL with the shoulder rehab

ktm_Wrench
04-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Had to miss leg day today. I was pretty pissed but honestly it doesn't even matter one bit. I'll update tomorrow.

ktm_Wrench
04-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Assistance Day (no upwards push due to outer shoulder issue)

Wednesday, April 15th 2009

Mill 4 min 3.4
Hammy/chest stretch
Foam Rolling--OWWWWWW Side/Front quads
Shoulder Dislocations---15

Flat Dumbbell
45x4x8 +4 reps on last set

Lat Pull Down
"5" +2 plates 4x6

Shrugs
95x20
95x10

Tri Pushdown
"12"x3x12

Hammer Grip Dumbbell
30x3x8

Could have gone heavier on db bench but it is just assistance day---not worth the chance of shoulder aggravation.

ktm_Wrench
04-17-2009, 09:41 PM
The past couple of Days I have been in the San Luis Obispo areas checking out the school, and the craziest thing happened. While in Morrow Bay we tried to find a place to eat and decided on a small restaurant. Little do we know Mr. Jack Lallane is a frequenter of the place. Long story short, my family was introduced to him and his wife by the manager of the restaurant. What unbelievable people....both of them are truly inspiring. The both had so much energy it was unbelievable, I can't believe he is in his mid-ninetys! So, after squeezing my bicep, flirting with my mom and joking with my Dad, he tells me "Anything is possible." My Dad tells him I lift weights, and Jack tells me "Do Chins. Lots of them. Strap weight on too." He then says says, "God Bless, whoever she is". :) It was an AWESOME experience, and an amazing restaurant. The hostess randomly belted out opera during dinner (we sat in jacks and elains table). I can't believe it happened, it was surreal, haha!

Just thought I'd shair it with you. If you want to know the restaurant (which was incredible itself) hit me up with a pm and I'll give it to you.

B.Money
04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow, sounds like a hell of a dinner! :D

Samsuperjew
04-17-2009, 10:01 PM
lol, thats fuckin awesome

ktm_Wrench
04-19-2009, 02:45 AM
5/3/1 Bench Day April 18th 2009

Shoulder Warm ups

Bench
45x12
65x5
85x5
100x3

110x3
125x3
140x6

85x5x10

Slight rotator cuff annoyance throughout the benching, but nothing disabling. Shoulder rehab needs to continue.

Kroc Rows

50x2x10

Gym closes, then go home and pile on the weights on my dumbell handle.

45x2x10

Day felt good other than rotater cuff issue. I love kroc rows. They hit my forearms and back really well.

apfroggy0408
04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Seems you had a good lunch eh? Good lifts

B.Money
04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Nice work, keep that shoulder healty!

ps: what exactly is a kroc row? I have seen the video, are you just referring to high rep rows?

ktm_Wrench
04-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Sure was.

5/3/1 Squat Day, Sunday April 19th 2009 Cycle 1 wave B

Mill 5 min
Hammy Stretch
Foam Rolled Side, hammy, quad of leg
Shoulder stretches---dislocates, pull aparts, external rotations

Squat
45x10
80x5
100x5
120x3

140x3
160x3
180x7

90x5x10

at this point i am EXHAUSTED. No shoulder issue! Slight elbow flare but nothing much.

Some seated leg curls
5x10 on "4"

Great day at the gym. PRs on the way.

ktm_Wrench
04-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Nice work, keep that shoulder healty!

ps: what exactly is a kroc row? I have seen the video, are you just referring to high rep rows?

Simply a dumbbell row. I call them kroc rows because it sounds cool. I am going to start high rep rows once I stall on my weight increases.

ktm_Wrench
04-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Bike 4min

Foam Roller
Shoulder stuff

Flat DB Bench
45x4x10 +2 reps each set

Lat Pull Down

"5" 4x6 3 plates +1 plate

Shrugs
95x25 +5 reps

DB Hammer curl

30x3x8

ktm_Wrench
04-24-2009, 03:01 AM
5/3/1 Cycle 1 Wave C Deadlift Day

150x5
170x3
190x7 ~+8lb PR using wendlers 1RM calculator

100x5x10

Ab machine

Tri Extensions 11x3x12

DONE.

slyfox115
04-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Nice PR bud.

ktm_Wrench
04-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks Sly, I hope to break the 250 max DL soon.

My abs are disgustingly sore today.

I have been building a toothpick bridge for quite some time now. I just tested it in class and it held 132 lbs at 48 grams! I am very pleased! I had no idea how to build a bridge either...guess things worked out! The structure didn't even break, just a shitty glue joint. :(

B.Money
04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
^NO WAY! did you take a pic of the bridge? That is pretty awesome.

ktm_Wrench
04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
I do have pictures Bmoney. I will upload them when I can!

president_fad
04-24-2009, 08:58 PM
what are your goals?

Samsuperjew
04-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Gj on db bench pr man

ktm_Wrench
04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
what are your goals?

At this point I am tying to gain strength---which I hope will translate to nice, appreciable physique. I have trained for strength since the beginning of my training career, about 1 year. However, the strength gains I have made are minimal, which I attribute to trying to increase weight too quickly and injuring myself--2 steps forward 1.6 steps back.:) The gains have been slow. I am hoping the 5/3/1 will allow me to gain on a more consistent basis while keeping injuries minimal. At 6'2" and 170lbs skinny fat im seeking a more masculine, thick look while increasing athleticism along the way. 200lbs lean at 6'2" is about as big as I want to be.

The diet is another hurdle for me. I have kept it clean, but I don't believe I have been eating enough on a consistent basis. And this NEEDS to change.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

ktm_Wrench
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Very satisfying day today!

Bench

65x5
80x5
95x3

120x5
135x3
150x5---175 pound max

90x5x10

DB Row

50x5x10 EASY

Great day in the gym. No pains. Annoying pop in shoulder as I go down on bench.

B.Money
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Some shoulder popping may not be a big deal, I would just take note and see if it gets worse or if any pain comes along with it. My shoulders crackle and pop like crazy sometimes, especially if I sleep on my side or something, then I do some arm circles and most usually goes away.

ktm_Wrench
04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Prom night last night. Had a BLAST. Senior cut day tomorrow! I missed squat day today...I'll just make it up tomorrow.

B.Money
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Sweet man! I remember those days! :D

ktm_Wrench
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
5/3/1 Cycle 1 Wave C

Squat

Bike 5 min

Foam Roller
Hammy Stretch
Shoulder Stretch
Shoulder Warm-ups, dislocates, cuban rotations, extrnal rotations

80x5
100x5
120x3

150x5
170x3
190x7 +10lbs LT

95x5x10 +5lbs LT

Leg Curl

"5" 5x10

No pain, which is always a plus!

I am ready for a deload, and I feel like I deserve it. I have accomplished a LOT in these last 3 weeks and I feel like I wont be slowing down ANY time soon. I'll post up my maxes from Wave C after I calculate them.

ktm_Wrench
04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
New Calculated Maxes (WeightsxRepsx.0333+weight)

Squat- 234
Bench-175
Deadlift-234

I am not sure if I should increase in weight for bench considering I didn't increase all that much by wendler's formula. I did hit all my alloted numbers pretty easily so I am unsure.

ktm_Wrench
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d69/clutch_09/uc-davis.jpg

I am officially going to University of California: Davis, class of 2013 as a Civil Engineering Major!

ktm_Wrench
04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Got a bunch of supplements in today, Now Adam, green tea, zma and casein.
Gave me a free Animal Pump, which i thought would be fun to try out on assistance day. It blew ass.

Didn't do my normal 5 min mill today, still felt fine though

DB bench

45x4x12---EASY AS HELL. +4 reps

Lat Pull down

"5" +2 plates 4x8 +2 reps

Shrugs

95x20
95x15

DB curls
25x9
27.5x9
30x2x8

Tri Extensions

"12" by 3x15 +3 reps

Press together DB push

30x2x10. Didn't feel much. Weird on my shoulders, so i quit.

The animal pump was retarded. I feel so much better using Controlled Labs Glycergrow---that stuff makes you feel like your muscles are tearing out of your skin....the Animal Pump was nothing special.

Good day! EXCITED for tomorrow!

ktm_Wrench
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
check this out!!!!!

What I have at my fingertips 12 hours a day for the next four years! It is always changing too! They take home recipes also! sweeeeet!

http://dining.ucdavis.edu/menus.html

president_fad
04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Its time to get big with that menu! boooooom!

ktm_Wrench
04-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Seriously though! What is great is that they pay attention to the nutritional value of the foods. Now I need to think about how I am going to take home a couple extra meals! :)

president_fad
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Seriously though! What is great is that they pay attention to the nutritional value of the foods. Now I need to think about how I am going to take home a couple extra meals! :)

bring baggies and stuff meat n shit in them and then put um in your backpack then into hte fridge!

B.Money
04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
check this out!!!!!

What I have at my fingertips 12 hours a day for the next four years! It is always changing too! They take home recipes also! sweeeeet!

http://dining.ucdavis.edu/menus.html

NICE! that looks good!

ktm_Wrench
05-05-2009, 11:47 PM
I haven't updated much because it has been deload week. I did some hiit cardio last night..."9" incline did about 15, 20-25 second sprints with about 50 second rests in between at 7,8, and 9 speeds. Nothing too structured, but I was dead at the end. I think if I hit it hard on the mill like this more often ill be in DAMN good shape very soon. It would be even better to just find a hill to sprint....but...well I dont have an excuse, really haha. So, assistance day tommorow!

ktm_Wrench
05-07-2009, 01:22 AM
mill 4 min
foam rolled
shoulder wu

DB bench
50x4x8
35x4x10

Lat Pull Down
"5" +4 plates 4x6 +1 plate

Smith Shrugs

105x2x15

Tri pushdowns
"9" 2x30

Hammer DB
25x30

ktm_Wrench
05-08-2009, 12:17 AM
mill 4min
foam rolled
shoulder wu

Deads
45x10
85x5
105x5 (felt heavy? Whats up with this?)
125x3
135x5
160x5
180x10 (240lb 1 RM)

Though I hit a decent PR, I am not happy with this workout. I felt very week off the floor, and incredibly tired in general. I am not sure what happened, but I think it was due to poor diet and an exhausting past couple of days with AP testing and such. MY form was definitely off today. I am going to try to get a form video up next week.

105x5x10

This was tiring....I felt like I was going to pass out from fatigue. It didn't even feel heavy,I just felt like sleeping!

Ab machine
3x10

Im not sure what happened today. Do you guys think my assistance day could have messed me up or what?

B.Money
05-08-2009, 12:39 AM
unhappy with a PR?!? Looks good to me man.

How you liking 5/3/1?

Nelson
05-08-2009, 12:44 AM
seems like everyone caught the 5/3/1 bug. good work KTM keep it up!!

ktm_Wrench
05-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Monster, when I read the 5/3/1 I seriously could not believe how much sense it made! This is the longest I have EVER been on a program without truly stalling.

Bmoney, I know but I feel like half of those reps were so goddamn sloppy they weren't even worth counting! I have a feeling I wasn't built for deadlifts....I have incredibly long legs for my height. If I bring my legs into my chest my knees go higher than my shoulders. I am gonna keep on pulling though!

B.Money
05-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Maybe try sumo or something see if you find your nitch! You will get it eventually!

Maybe I should read into the whole 5/3/1 thing some time....

ktm_Wrench
05-08-2009, 02:00 AM
I may give sumo a try one of these days!

ktm_Wrench
05-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Yesterday

Cycle 2 Wave A

Bench
140x9 (pr) 180#

105x5x10 (pr) hard as hell. Thought it was gonna be easy...

kroc rows

45x10
50x4x15 (pr)

ktm_Wrench
05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Yesterday

Cycle 2 Wave A

Bench
140x9 (pr) 180#

kroc rows

45x10
50x4x15 (pr)

Shit man I was looking through some old journals from about a year ago, and I was benching 150x3x5 in August of last year. Man I don't know what i did wrong. Sure I could have eaten better but damn thats lame. Whatever though Im gonna keep on goin!

B.Money
05-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I came across the same exact thing a little while ago, its a good wake up call. Sometimes you never even realize it, I know I didn't.

Make sure you keep your log book, and you beat it, every time. Thats all there is to it man, you just gotta just beat your strongest every time. I know how injuries get in the way and all that--it just plain sucks.

ktm_Wrench
05-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Cycle 2 Wave 1

100 jump ropes
Shoulder Stretches; Pull-Aparts, internal rotations, dislocations, cuban rotations x10
Forgot to foam roll...and forgot to stretch, ooops

Squats
85x5
105x5
125x3

135x5
160x5
180x11????!!!! :) 246 lb 1RM. 1Rep over expected!

110x5x10, +5lbs and it was incredibly easy

No pain worth noting...

AWESOME day at the gym. Im almost at a "250lb" squat already....

Helikaon
05-12-2009, 02:44 AM
I'm definately going to be doing 5/3/1 later this year. So simple, so easy, and it looks like it works for plenty of people! Keep up the good work ktm.

ktm_Wrench
05-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I would encourage you to do so. I am on week 6 off the 5/3/1 and am showing no signs of slowing down. I bet I will be able to go through two more cycles before having to reset.

Samsuperjew
05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
nice squatting man! congrats on getting (near) 250!

ktm_Wrench
05-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks Sam! 225x10 would give me a ~"300" squat, and that is my goal by summers end! BTW, here is the equation for my 1 RM approximation.

(WeightxRepsx.0333)+weight

KGM
05-12-2009, 07:08 PM
180x11 on squats on your 5 day! way to go bro. I got 11 reps on my 5 day today in deads and was very happy about it.

225x10 by summers end is a nice goal bro. sure you will hit it.

Billsterl
05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Shit man I was looking through some old journals from about a year ago, and I was benching 150x3x5 in August of last year. Man I don't know what i did wrong. Sure I could have eaten better but damn thats lame. Whatever though Im gonna keep on goin!

that is still improvement

lol when i look back in my log book, i look for a pr that can be broken easily, even if i have to cheat for it, like today i did 215 x2, i looked for the 205 x2 pr that that i set like two months ago that i can beat the easiest, so i feel i did something this workout

Br0kenB
05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
that is still improvement

lol when i look back in my log book, i look for a pr that can be broken easily, even if i have to cheat for it, like today i did 215 x2, i looked for the 205 x2 pr that that i set like two months ago that i can beat the easiest, so i feel i did something this workout

Glad I'm not the only one, haha.

ktm_Wrench
05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Cycle 2 Wave B

Deadlifts

150x3
170x3
190x9 (250Lbs)

110x5x10 (+5 lbs)

I am VERY worried about my dead lift form. I took a video on my blackberry and am currently trying to upload it, but it is giving me problems. I feel like I am not keeping my ass down well enough. I believe it is being caused by the wierd leverages I have to create w/my wierd body proportions. Looking at the video my knees do protrude well in front of my shoulders.

B.Money
05-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Good idea with the video man, its one of the best things I did was get a video camera!

ktm_Wrench
05-15-2009, 11:21 PM
This is fuckin pissing me off man....it shouldn't be THAT hard to upload a video onto the computer. DAMN. I am gonna keep on trying, hopefully I will have it up. If not, I will face the stares of "wtf" and bring in my dads big ass video camcorder.

B.Money
05-15-2009, 11:47 PM
haha, c'mon man get 'er done!

ktm_Wrench
05-16-2009, 01:37 AM
DONE! I feel accomplished! The video quality sucks, but I think this will do! Better than nothing I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8iA0BtZ0rc

Please fast-forward to 2:20. I have NO idea how to cut/edit blackberry videos...

Critique away. LOL, this is going to be embarrassing.

KGM
05-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I have two things for you to think about.
Is the bar too far in front of you?
are you pulling up or back?

no expert here just a couple things to think about.

B.Money
05-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Doesn't look so bad like you made it out to be, I was expecting something terrible haha.

Try posting this up in the lifting video section if you haven't already, maybe get some good critiques, and keep posting them, you should/could get more critiques as time goes on.

ktm_Wrench
05-17-2009, 02:51 AM
5/3/1 Cycle 2 Wave B

Bench

65x5
85x5
105x3
115x3
130x3
145x8 (PR) (184lbs)

115x10
105x10
105x8
105x10
105x8

Weird boring but big set....but whatever. Started too heavy, then I got all fucked up.

KROC rows

45x10
60x5x15 (huge PR)

KGM
05-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Yesterday
Cycle 2 Wave A

Bench
140x9 (pr) 180#

Looking at last week I would say you got damn greedy putting on 115 for assistance. Not pickin on you, just sayin. Just wondering are you feeling assistance at 50% is too light? I am loving it personally. It gives a good pump and it is in my assistance that I really focus on form.

way to keep gettting them PRs. Little consistant moves ahead are what will give us great progress. Keep ROCKING :wiggle:

B.Money
05-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Nice job with the PR's man! Always good to have huge PR's

ktm_Wrench
05-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Looking at last week I would say you got damn greedy putting on 115 for assistance. Not pickin on you, just sayin. Just wondering are you feeling assistance at 50% is too light? I am loving it personally. It gives a good pump and it is in my assistance that I really focus on form.

way to keep gettting them PRs. Little consistant moves ahead are what will give us great progress. Keep ROCKING :wiggle:

haha I know! I should have stayed with 105! It's all good though, I am just dying to get my workload up! :)

Thanks Bmoney! Better watch out my rows are creeping up to yours! lol, ;)

ktm_Wrench
05-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Hrmmmm, I thought Wendler wanted progression w/the Boring But Big sets as well. Oops! I am going to back it down to 50% of my training max. Though It is going to be extremely easy...my bench would be about 85lbs i think.....haha.

KGM
05-17-2009, 02:48 PM
I know the feeling. I had recently asked Jim this
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=95231&tid=

and if you look at my log I have snuck a couple extra pounds on a few of my assistance lifts.

it's all good!

ruga buga
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Way to go man, you consistently keep hitting those PR's and you will soon have some numbers that you will be very happy with...

The vid ain't great quality but your form doesn't look as horrible as you made it out to be. My take is that you don't look very stable at the bottom of the lift(pull from floor) and maybe if you settled yourself more, you could pull better, but everyone pulls differently and each to their own hey!

ktm_Wrench
05-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Cycle 2 Wave B

Squat

45x10
85x5
105x5
125x3
150x3
170x3
190x10 (BIG PR! 253lbs!)

105x5x10--Easy as hell

Some single-legged hammer strength hamstring curl. 4x12

Awesome day. Man, I guess I am getting stronger. Cool.

While squatting my pants atrted tearing RIGHT when this hot chick was watching me. She didn't hear anything but I was freaked out. Luckily, it was just my boxers that tore,lol. That would have sucked so bad.

ktm_Wrench
05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Sure was.

5/3/1 Squat Day, Sunday April 19th 2009 Cycle 1 wave B

Mill 5 min
Hammy Stretch
Foam Rolled Side, hammy, quad of leg
Shoulder stretches---dislocates, pull aparts, external rotations

Squat
45x10
80x5
100x5
120x3

140x3
160x3
180x7 (222lbs)

90x5x10

at this point i am EXHAUSTED. No shoulder issue! Slight elbow flare but nothing much.

Some seated leg curls
5x10 on "4"

Great day at the gym. PRs on the way.

Man I was weak! ;)

Hopefully I can say that about myself a month from now!

Right now my "total" is at 185+253+250=688lbs! 100lbs below my end of summer goal...:)

KGM
05-18-2009, 08:54 AM
WAS is the word bro. looks like you put on 31 lbs to your squat in a month. good F'in show!!

"Total" eh.... I had not even thought of that as a goal. I need to get my combined in order and see what to shoot at.

Samsuperjew
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
its always fun getting stronger, NICE SQUATS BRAH!

Krol
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Man I was weak! ;)

Hopefully I can say that about myself a month from now!

Haha. :D Keep getting those PRs.

neverfinished
05-19-2009, 03:13 AM
amazing progress from the beginnin of ur journal keep up the great work

ktm_Wrench
05-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys. My knees are VERY sore today when walking....i'd say that is not a good sign. It does not hurt too bad, bad there is definetly a dull pain. This week is crazy as I have awards night tonight, powderpuff tommorow, disneyland on thursday-friday. Soooo I think I am going to skip assistance wednesday and replace it with deadlifts. This knee pain better subside. Hopefully I can get a better video tommorrow on my DL.

KGM
05-19-2009, 08:13 PM
....While squatting my pants atrted tearing RIGHT when this hot chick was watching me. She didn't hear anything but I was freaked out. Luckily, it was just my boxers that tore,lol. That would have sucked so bad.

:rofl::rofl:I missed this little story the last time in here.

sorry to hear about your knees but your plan of skipping assistance and doing deads sounds pretty solid.:top: Hope the knees get better.

ktm_Wrench
05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Change of plans...I decided to make this week my deload. My knees are still sore and I KNOW my saturday workout will be terrible after being in disneyland not eating.

Samsuperjew
05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
GL with the deload, they suck

B.Money
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
haha I love deloads, I hit the gym, cut the volume down to nothing, leave the gym in like 15 min, and set PRs when I get back into it, whats not to like?? :D

ktm_Wrench
05-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey guys. I finished my deload and came down with a flu. Now I am feeling better and am ready to hit the weights. I have been eating like a 5 year old girl, so i plan on being weak as shit. I extremly pissed off about it but, hey, what can you do?

Oh and I tried the ganjaaa yesterday with some buddies. All I can say is that is not for me. Smoked way too much and paranoia took over.

Samsuperjew
05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
GL at gettin back to lifting... just make sure you keep a positive attitude... that goes a long way....

i would go into detail about the second part.... but i'm not sure if drug talk is tolerated over here

KGM
05-30-2009, 08:14 PM
flu, deload, ganja.... sounds like you are bogged down in the land of the Vag.

What can you do?
get better, get straight and kick ass bro!!

ktm_Wrench
05-31-2009, 02:10 PM
I agree KGM. I really fucked up these past 2 weeks. I am ready to leave and stay out of the land of the vag for quite some time.

B.Money
05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Haha its no problem, just make up for it in the next string of workouts!

Br0kenB
05-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Good luck coming back to it man. And I'm the same with weed, shit isn't for me. Hit it hard this week!

ktm_Wrench
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I decided to just reset cycle 2.

Cycle 2 Wave A :(

Deadlifts
45x10
85x5
105x5
125x3
135x5
160x5
180x7 :(

Good Mornings

45x10
65x10
95x3x10

Kroc Rows
50x2x20

Whoa! I guess my little stray from the path/sickness really FUCKED me over. Whatever, I will be back soon.

B.Money
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
no problem man, just a small bump in the road, nothing to cry about :)

ktm_Wrench
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I am just angry at myself and my damn immune system! :)

I am pumped to give this summer my fullest attention to diet and all that good stuff!

KGM
06-02-2009, 08:19 AM
no problem man, just a small bump in the road, nothing to cry about :)

totally agree. just try and keep mentally positive and I am sure you will be able to get moving again.

slyfox115
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Good stuff in here man....looks like you are primed for some gains this summer.

ktm_Wrench
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks Sly! I am hoping/expecting these three months to be full of linear progression and no injuries/sicknesses. I am going to try and take advantage of the fairly stress free life I will have until I go off to college.

That's another thing about this website that I love. When my life does change and im off in college and at a different gym, I'll still have this site and you guys to come back to. Haha gettin all nostalgic with all this end of the year stuff i guess.

Billsterl
06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
ha dunt worry man, u'll be hitting pr's the very next workout, we teens recover fast

ktm_Wrench
06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Cycle 2 wave A

Squats
85x5
105x5
125x3

135x5
160x5
180x11????!!!! 246 lb 1RM

So...I hit the same PR I did about 3 weeks ago. I guess I have held strength in my legs pretty well then. :).

B.Money
06-10-2009, 05:23 PM
good goin ktm!

Smack
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Good job.

ktm_Wrench
06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Cycle 2 Wave B

Deadlifts

pulled 190x8

Goin in for bench right now.