PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift form check

Nate Dawg
11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Here is a vid from last weeks doing deads off a box. I never have a problem getting weight off the ground but when I get to my knees I slow way down. Looking for pointers on some mental cues and what I need to change in my form. I *think* I need to keep my ass down a bit longer and drive my head back harder. It also looks to me that I am not driving my hips through very hard at all, and I think a lot of the problem lies there. Seem to be pulling more "up" than "back" and not firing my hips through to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl0w-_fE8tw

Just trying to figure out why my strength above the knees suck so bad, for example my rack pull is not any stronger than my pull from the floor. Or do I just need to plain get stronger? Been doing GM's more often and can tell that has helped, and am going to start incorporating pulls against bands.

Sand Blaster
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Nate, you need to pull from the floor to get an idea of form. I think your first rep looked decent, your second rep you got loose on.

When you pull from a box, at a high percentage, your lift will take longer emphasizing the hip drive at the end. The same pull from the floor may not be a problem due to the speed carry over from the initial drive.

You want to think about driving your heels into the floor while pulling backwards, that is, the bar into you at an angle. Every inch that bar is out in front of you, you become biomechanically disadvantaged, supposing your back is your weak point.

You might set up some bands and do some pulls against the resistance. I think it will help you learn the drive right and force you to drive your hips, and recognize the speed needed to pull.

SB

F-Mac
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
your back is rounding (badly), your ass is coming up really fast at the start (this is a problem I have as well) and you have zero hip drive once you get the bar pas your knees. The lack of hip drive is why you are having trouble locking it out.

Sand Blaster
11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
His back is rounding due to his starting position, likely be inflexible.

SB

president_fad
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
and you didnt lock the first one out, your legs were bent. Do you always pull from a box?

president_fad
11-02-2008, 10:50 PM
OH and if your pull if weak from the top, u dont need to be pulling from a box that works your low end. DO some rack pulls or reverse bands as well to overload your top end.

Nate Dawg
11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
SB- you are right that is hard to judge form when Im pulling off a box, I'll get some vids this next session from the floor. I am going to start adding in pulls against bands. And yes I am very inflexible!

Fmac my ass coming up has been one of the biggest form issues I have fought with the deadlift, never can seem to get that down!

Pfad no I dont always pull from a box, rarely do actually. Yeah I know I didnt lock that first one out, as soon as my back became upright I just automatically dropped the weight to try and save energy for the second rep and didnt realize my knees werent locked. Pretty sure I could have locked it out though. Thanks for the tip on reverse bands, probably do alternating sessions of pulls against bands and then reverse band for a while and then do a pull from the floor with straight weight to try and get an idea where I am at.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will get a better vid pulling from the floor and we can diagnose from there.

Kabuki
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Agreed with SB on doing them off floor for eval purposes.

Nate I've told you before. You have to learn to drive with those hips. Ass should go forward and not up. Your trying to lift the bar up with your back.

Get your ass low enough you can arch your low back. Get behind the bar with your shoulders. Look the sky and drive back on you heels while you drive your hips forward. Back should maintain same position through the majority of the lift.

Your not weak at the top…your in poor position from initiating the lift incorrectly.

And you will never correct those technique issues training with that weight. Pick weight on the top end of what you can do correctly (roughly 60-70%) of max and work on singles with 30-45seconds rest. By your 5 single you form should start breaking down and this is when you need to hold and correct it. Do 10-15 singles total.

You can do these band resisted or assisted if you want.

HIThopper
11-04-2008, 09:31 PM
This is great info guys,I think it will help my quest to break the 400lb barrier thats been pissing me off for a while!!