PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift form advice

Gusmx
10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey guys, did 310x3 today, my 1RM was 315, could you please help me with my form ? >>>Newbie here<<<

One thing that i notice and felt, when i was lowering the weight on the 2dn rep i let it go on the bottom part ( lose pressure on core ), thats making my lower back hurt right now. Hope its much better next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sVHY8_kNU

Thanks in advance for the advice.

adelman337
10-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Well your first problem is your camera abilities. :D I think you could get your butt down more, and make it more of a fluid movement. Yours kind of looked like the legs straightened first then your back.

F-Mac
10-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Looks like you are leaning forward on the positive motion. You need to get your hips a bit lower and pull back off the start. Once you get the bar past your knees then just drive your hips forward hard and that will help you lock it out.

Gusmx
10-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Well your first problem is your camera abilities. :D I think you could get your butt down more, and make it more of a fluid movement. Yours kind of looked like the legs straightened first then your back.

Lol cell phone camera, people already think im weird enough for lifting a weight off the ground... ( haha yes, commercial gym), so i dont want to get kick out of the gym...

Ill try to get my butt lower, thanks for the advice.

Gusmx
10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Looks like you are leaning forward on the positive motion. You need to get your hips a bit lower and pull back off the start. Once you get the bar past your knees then just drive your hips forward hard and that will help you lock it out.

Thanks ill try that.

Overall, how do you guys think it was?? Decent at least?:smokin: ... right now my lower back is thinking that i suck for deadlifts...its sore as...f....

Kabuki
10-22-2008, 12:51 PM
You’re standing up and locking out your legs quickly. This doesn’t move the bar up, it just raises your hips and then puts all the lift on the back. Overall your lift needs a lot of work.

Don’t straighten the legs out all that does is raise the hips, and not the weight, putting you in bad position. Keep your low back arched and in position then lift the weight by driving the hips through…not after it clears the knees, immediately upon initiating the lift and all the way through the lift. F-mac you need to focus on trying this as well. Hips from the beginning of lift to completion.

I hate giving Deadlift advice via written form. No one ever gets it.

Plus I can apply a lot more verbal abuse in person until someone gets it :)

Gusmx
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
You’re standing up and locking out your legs quickly. This doesn’t move the bar up, it just raises your hips and then puts all the lift on the back. Overall your lift needs a lot of work.

Don’t straighten the legs out all that does is raise the hips, and not the weight, putting you in bad position. Keep your low back arched and in position then lift the weight by driving the hips through…not after it clears the knees, immediately upon initiating the lift and all the way through the lift. F-mac you need to focus on trying this as well. Hips from the beginning of lift to completion.

I dont mind the verbal abuse haha, if you ever come to Mexico, ill be glad to hear it!...:rofl:

How can i learn to "drive the hips through", i dont really have an idea of how to "activate" the hips... you mean like pushing my hips forward, which will make the bar go up?:questionmark:

Kabuki
10-22-2008, 02:41 PM
you mean like pushing my hips forward, which will make the bar go up?:questionmark:

indeed. hips go forward not up.

Try to drive backwards which will keep your shoulders behind the bar as well.

JohnnyBoy
10-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Would you do this for safety reasons or to increase the weight lifted?

Kabuki
10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Would you do this for safety reasons or to increase the weight lifted?

'and' not 'or'

JohnnyBoy
10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
'and' not 'or'

I thought you might say that lol...

I know what you mean by drive through the hips from doing box squats, and I know that I DONT do it when deadlifting. I've got pretty long legs and I find it really hard to initiate them into the lift. The reason I asked the above question is that I feel I would have to compromise my weights in order to use more hip drive. I'm using accesory work to strengthen my hips but that aside, are there any form...visualisation?...tips for taller deadlifters?

Gusmx
10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I thought you might say that lol...

I know what you mean by drive through the hips from doing box squats, and I know that I DONT do it when deadlifting. I've got pretty long legs and I find it really hard to initiate them into the lift. The reason I asked the above question is that I feel I would have to compromise my weights in order to use more hip drive. I'm using accesory work to strengthen my hips but that aside, are there any form...visualisation?...tips for taller deadlifters?

I would like to know this as well, there gotta be something to "let you knoe" that hip drive is being used...

Gusmx
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
So, i´ve been trying to "activate" my hips and move them forward, i found out that if i get my glutes tight its easier to get up and to move the hips forward at the same time.... ill try to get some videos when i get to DL again.

keep the advice coming please!