PDA

View Full Version : 500 Box Squat

talo2tall
10-15-2008, 08:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq7NlaaTc_E

Thought I would put this up for some feedback. There is no box at my gym so I just use the lowest bench they have. It's still a few inches above parallel , but other than that how does my form look ?

Rafter
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Honestly, your form is terrible. You are not sitting back and down on the box. Your shins should be | not \ as you sit back. Also, it looks like you are getting no hip drive.

Drop alot of the weight off of there and work on your form.

Joe
10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Awesome dude, 5 bills is a good mile stone.

Your form isn't what a true box squat should be. I saw a few things.

a) You have to sit BACK, not down. Stick your butt out and sit back, never sit down... Does that make any sense? Do you see how your knees point forward? They should be perpendicular to the ground.

b) Try and spread the floor apart with your feet on the way up. That way you won't get p ushed forward on the way up and you'll use your hps.

c) Lastly, a small tip, but try and wear shoes with flat soles. Chucks are the best because they're cheap and effective but there's a lot other optionss out there. The flat soles will allow you to use your squatting muscles better instead of bringing in the quads.

talo2tall
10-15-2008, 01:57 PM
thanks for the tips ,very helpful. This is the hardest part about working out alone (no one to help me with my form) . I will drop the weight a few hundred lbs and work on what you said. Just feeling that weight on my back and knees was a big step for me but of course I want to nail the form.
I will tape a few more as I work on improving this lift.
I will try to pick up some better shoes very soon

Sand Blaster
10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
On (a), I have my clients aim for my hand that is back behind them to emphasize pushing the ass back and not down.

SB

Joe
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
On (a), I have my clients aim for my hand that is back behind them to emphasize pushing the ass back and not down.

SB

That's actually a great idea but that wouldn't work for me at the high school lol

"Hey Susie, try and aim your asshole to the palm of my hand" lol!!

What I do is if they aren't getting it i hold their waist and kind of do a two man squat and I pull them back. That works 90% of the time for fixing it.

JohnnyBoy
10-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Im having a really hard time visualising sitting back. Im trying it just now on my couch, and I cant control the negative at all when I sit back, I just kinda fall onto the seat. Is there an instructional video out there?

I'm also having trouble with spreading the floor. Should it feel like someones tied a rope round your waist and is pulling forward and up? Rather than driving through the legs, you try to throw your waist forward?

Edit: Found this video: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=63084&tid=109

To my untrained eye it looks like he falls back. I remember reading you have to lower in a controlled manner to avoid damaging your lower back.

kelsey
10-16-2008, 08:02 PM
break with the hips not the knees

mean you sit back first with the knees str8
force your glutes rearward.

adelman337
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
The wider my stance is the easier it is for me to sit back. It just feels like I am more stable.

ThatArmyKid
10-16-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipSv1Kt6x8&feature=related

could you guys break down my form please :)

xx's already pointed out i have weak quads and i rock back and forth to much but what else do you guys see he may have missed?

Rafter
10-16-2008, 10:06 PM
^ Same thing, you need to sit back. The best way for me to describe it is that you need to fall back. Your shins will look like | instead of at an angle.

The rocking could be due to not staying tight throughout the lift too. You want to stop the rocking though because as you go up in weight, the more chances of the weight rolling off your back.

Joe
10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipSv1Kt6x8&feature=related

could you guys break down my form please :)

xx's already pointed out i have weak quads and i rock back and forth to much but what else do you guys see he may have missed?

Sit back maybe a LITTLE more, but I think overall your form is decent. Better than talo's.. You need to stay tighter on the box. Arch your lower back and puff your chest out and keep that back arched hard. Like you said you "rock back" too much. Sit into the box and "roll your hips back."

Darkane
10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
If you are having trouble staying tight, try moving your hands in on the bar. Squeeze your shoulder blades and try to force the bar into your traps.

Also push your gut into your belt.

ang.1
10-16-2008, 10:56 PM
you guys emphasize sitting back alot on box squats. how much of that sitting back is carried over into normal squats? i seem to almost fall backwards when i try to sit back as much as i do when im box squatting. to compensate i end up leaning forward a whole lot to keep my balance.

and when we sit back while box squatting are the shins supposed to be perpendicular to the ground or angled towards your body?

HIThopper
10-17-2008, 09:56 PM
If a trainee is having trouble sitting back enough to get the shins vertical does this normally point to weak hams? also do you guys get the shins vertical on a close stance ME box squat with a safety bar or whatever, that is something I have trouble doing, my knees shoot forward a bit everytime.

COJE
10-18-2008, 02:02 AM
There should be a form critique section in this forum, I think lots of people would use it. As long as it was constructive criticism and the threads don't turn into a flame and bash people on their poor form.

adelman337
10-18-2008, 02:20 AM
There should be a form critique section in this forum, I think lots of people would use it. As long as it was constructive criticism and the threads don't turn into a flame and bash people on their poor form.

That is what this section is for. lol