PDA

View Full Version : Bench Critique

HIThopper
07-31-2008, 05:10 AM
Hey folks trying to perfect my powerlifting bench form.Basically I want to get my lats involved in lowering the weight.So hows my setup and form, bar path EVERYTHING really!!.ANY tips welcome cos my bench has been tough to get right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jKZJx3hyQ

Cheers

slyfox115
07-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Where is the bar touching when you are at the bottom of the press? I tried on the nips but had to go lower until I really found the right groove.

Joe
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM
That groove looks too low for raw. That looks like a shirted groove. as far as using your back in the bench. You get your shoulder blades together and get your lats real tight. You want to "get you lats under th bar" if that makes any sense. You want to relax the rest of your muscles and let your lats take the bar down.

zpapa21
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
I seem to be able to lower with my lats using submaximal weights but when I get to my top sets it always seems I go with what feels most natural.

Rafter
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree w/ the above. Looks like you are hitting to low.

Also, widen your feet out some. Looks like you are getting no leg drive at all.

B.Money
08-01-2008, 12:59 AM
yeah I noticed no leg drive as well.... but I dont know how to do any either so Im not nitpicking.

dbcb314
08-01-2008, 01:39 AM
yeah groove is way too low raw. Belly benching doesn't work unless you got a jacked shirt

B.Money
08-01-2008, 01:41 AM
yeah groove is way too low raw. Belly benching doesn't work unless you got a jacked shirt

where would you say roughly a better place to bench from is....nips?

XX
08-01-2008, 07:57 AM
on the first few sets i agree wit you guys, a bit to low, however towards the end, I think it looks just fine. remember, everyones mechanics are different.

how did it feel to you? comfortable, uncomfortable. strong or not?

aczech
08-01-2008, 08:05 AM
looks nothing like my bench.

I've tried that arched back crap but it just isn't comfortable.

Get to where you feel comfortable and can press the most weight.

I think the groove is too low and i think you should put your feet flat on the floor.

But, i would take XX's advice over mine, he's got a stronger bench;)

XX
08-01-2008, 08:45 AM
well, its like i said czecher, everyones mechanics are different. I cant arch for shit either and my feet are usually flat on the floor to slightly on my toes. some guys setup with their feet way further back than hopper had them.

your best line is this one, its good advice "Get to where you feel comfortable and can press the most weight."

Rafter
08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Something to think about on your feet setup... If you do plan on competing, check out the feds rules so that youll be set correctly. Some require your feet to be flat on the floor while others dont.

If you aren't going to compete, just get them set so you have the most power.

HIThopper
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Something to think about on your feet setup... If you do plan on competing, check out the feds rules so that youll be set correctly. Some require your feet to be flat on the floor while others dont.

I def do that if I compete.

HIThopper
08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Ok guys cheers I'll try hit the bar a tad higher on the chest.I think I got the lats pulling the bar down I just gotta get elbow pos. better.I used to bench flat foot but I always lost any sort of arch and my ROM was greater.It used to give me sore shoulders too.

XX I felt way stronger lowering the weight this way, pressing it just felt different!!

I got DE bench today I'll up those vids too.

Thx fellas