PDA

View Full Version : Good mornings-form check

Doenitz79
06-13-2008, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnlghkBpfIg

That's 6 reps of 65kg(143lb)

Just started doing GMs a few weeks ago.

When I saw the video,I was shocked because all the while I thought I was approaching close to parallel but in actual fact,I have been lowering to 45 degrees only! But then again,I feel that if I go any lower,I would round my back.

Please comment,thanks!

adelman337
06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
You could try holding the bar a bit lower on your back which will enable you to go down a bit further.

Nikk
06-13-2008, 12:55 AM
You got the bar way up on the neck where it should rest lower on your traps. Also widen out your stance for better stability, when you initiate the movement drive the ass back don't just bend at the waist.

dbag333
06-13-2008, 12:58 AM
A tip from this board is do it in the rack, set the pins at belly button hight, and bring the bar down to them. Way less knee bend, and get that ass back.

can't telly you what to do on bar height.

Weilder
06-13-2008, 01:12 AM
You should lower the weight a bit till you get proper form down. Set the pins at belly button. Place the bar on your back like you were gonna squat. Lean forward with your back ARCHED till the bar hits the pins, return to standing position. You should do these with a belt too. Work on that hamstring flexibility if you cant touch your toes.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html

Nikk
06-13-2008, 01:51 AM
till the bar hits the pins

What's the deal with this?

I can understand doing GMs in Rack for safety reasons and chain suspended GMs but bar hitting the pins is not too smart this will have you and the bar vibrating till Christmas.

Do you mean deloading each rep on the pins (where you let it sit on pins for a few seconds) and starting the movement from the low position each rep?

Confuse
06-13-2008, 09:31 AM
As far as knee bend is concerned, how much should there be in general? I notice if I keep stiff legged or close to it, I can't lower the bar parallel to the floor and my back isn't as round than if I bend my knees a bit more (to the point I feel my hamstrings pulling significantly), but again, my stance was sort of narrow.

Weilder
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
What's the deal with this?

I can understand doing GMs in Rack for safety reasons and chain suspended GMs but bar hitting the pins is not too smart this will have you and the bar vibrating till Christmas.

Do you mean deloading each rep on the pins (where you let it sit on pins for a few seconds) and starting the movement from the low position each rep?

Ya your right, bar shouldn't hit the pins, just maybe come a few inches from them for safety and depth. Hope this helps.

iron addict
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I have done 495 lb good mornings off of pins. If the bar is moving so fast at the very bottom of the movement that hitting the pins causes the bar to vibrate you either need a new bar or slow the hell out of the movement. You should be moving the weight VERY SLOWLY at the very button of the movement. And if you are so uncoordinated that one side of the bar is much lower than the other side you should not be doing GM's in th first place.

Iron Addict

slyfox115
06-13-2008, 04:36 PM
x 2......dont SLAM the bar down, good morning should always be done slow and controlled

Nikk
06-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Yep slow and controlled, although I never touched the pins when I did GMs.

Also this is very good demo on the GM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xnlO1pNHdVY

go to 6:00 minute mark

Doc D
06-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Personal preference = SSB to pins - with a pause on the pins (set to navel height). This depth gauge keeps one honest and form tight; I'm sure that there are merits to these 10 degree good mornings which proliferate in some circles of PL, but I do not like them.