PDA

View Full Version : Front squatting-form check

Doenitz79
05-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Relatively new to front squats,started doing them only last month and that was with the cross armed grip.Only started doing the clean grip last week.Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

110kg for a single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqa3tSfTjg

Doc D
05-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Looks good! As your wrists are at quite an acute angle, you might want to try slipping a few fingers off the bar (leaving e.g. tips of index and middle on); this might also help to keep the elbows a tad higher.

Halfway
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
yep yep looks fine. Good to see you using the clean grip, but how many fingers are you useing to hold the bar?

Andrew.Cook
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Actually, it is hard to tell, but it looks like the bar isn't sitting back against your neck. I watched it a few times, and it looks like it is sitting well out on your front delts rather than sitting back against your collarbone. For my money I'm less worried about where your elbows are, so long as the bar is sitting firm on your chest/shoulders rather than being held in your hand out in front of you. The idea with the high elbows is that forces you in a position that you simply are forced to let the bar sit on your torso rather than trying to suspend it in mid air in front of you. If you intend to start working on a jerk from this potition, you are going to want more fingers on the bar, and you might need to drop the elbows a little to get there. Otherwise you can even wear a pair of lifting straps (STRAPS, not wraps) and run the strap under the bar, then grab the tail with your hand in a neutral grip position over the bar. The strap will give you control over the bar and allow you to hold it with your hands a little further away from the bar. I believe the Gillingham brothers (first family of strength) do their front squats this way.

Doc D
05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I believe the Gillingham brothers (first family of strength) do their front squats this way.

They (= Gillinghams) are actually selling special straps for this technique now.

Rather than reproduce a thread from elsewhere, front squat fans might be interested in this link:

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/m_2720462/tm.htm

Andrew.Cook
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
They (= Gillinghams) are actually selling special straps for this technique now.

Rather than reproduce a thread from elsewhere, front squat fans might be interested in this link:

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/m_2720462/tm.htm

Yes, I saw the said "special" strap :) I saw it and thought... damn, I must have any of a dozen things in my garage that would do the exact same thing... including *gasp* my normal lifting straps... which I never use for anything else, so...

mikethedon
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Too me it seemed like you started the movement with your knees. You could try and move you glutes back first and let everything follow from there.

dbcb314
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
if it is comfortable (well as comfortable as front squats can get) and you stay upright, then the form is fine.

I personally have to have the bar close to my neck to keep it from sliding around

Andrew.Cook
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Too me it seemed like you started the movement with your knees. You could try and move you glutes back first and let everything follow from there.

I think that knee break squatting is fine in this instance. I mean, the more hip action you have, the more you are almost certain to lean forward (which is a good way to take a face plant or get your back out of whack). Ideally his butt should drop straight down between his heels. Like this: http://stronglifts.com/images/front-squat-elbows.jpg

mikethedon
05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I think that knee break squatting is fine in this instance. I mean, the more hip action you have, the more you are almost certain to lean forward (which is a good way to take a face plant or get your back out of whack). Ideally his butt should drop straight down between his heels. Like this: http://stronglifts.com/images/front-squat-elbows.jpg

There are many ways to do this, but read any article from powerlifters on squatting and movements always start with hips, squat, dead, GM, front squat!

This movement can be used to help bring up the squat, so I would train it like the squat!

And I always use my hips and never lean forward.

Also I find when using hips first and keeping tention throughout the movement instead of dropping helps take advantage of the stretch reflex

mikethedon
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
and yes I understand that Olympic lifters use this style of squatting. Just my opion take it or leave it!

Doenitz79
05-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Ya,only after watching it did I realise that it was a knee dominant squat.

BY the way,I only have 2 fingers on the bar.

Doc D
05-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Ya,only after watching it did I realise that it was a knee dominant squat.

Like Andrew said, I wouldn't panic about this. It is natural for front squats to break at the knees and for the knees to go way out in front. This is what helps to keep the torso upright, and the elevated heels on weightlifting shoes are intended precisely to facilitate this position. Keeping the knees wide in order to create a space into which to squat is also important to this end. Yes, it might be a little tougher on the knees, and it will work the quads hard - but if this isn't desired, why do front squats?

Andrew.Cook
05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
There are many ways to do this, but read any article from powerlifters on squatting and movements always start with hips, squat, dead, GM, front squat!

This movement can be used to help bring up the squat, so I would train it like the squat!

And I always use my hips and never lean forward.

Also I find when using hips first and keeping tention throughout the movement instead of dropping helps take advantage of the stretch reflex

I think there are a lot of misconceptions that you are having in this post. I'm not attacking you, but let me explain a few things.

First, it is absolutely correct that power lifters use a hip break. When we are talking absolute power potential, we are going to go in favor of putting all the strain and stress on the posterior chain. This is the idea of hip breaking. It starts you loading the PC from the get go. However, this will reduce (not eliminate) the strain on the quads. In this position you HAVE to lean forward. The bar has to stay over your heels/center of gravity, and this causes you to lean forward. Now, this isn't bad at all. Forward lean is all part of the game. This is also why a low bar position is favored as well, because it allows the bar to stay back over the heels better while you are sitting back, leaning forward.
http://www.usaplnationals.com/2003MoState/images/lewisSQ_large.jpg

Compare that position with this:
http://www.straighttothebar.com/images/posts/061004_ofs.jpg

There is some forward lean in the front squat, but the body remains in a more upright position, and this is best attained by knee breaking and sitting straight down, vice sitting back.

Also, nobody should be going into a freefall in the squat. There should always be tension, regardless of the form. Doing otherwise puts your joints and muscles at risk of injury.