View Full Version : Sumo Rack Pulls

jesus rocks
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Critique away.
I know there not very low, Im just weary of my hernia :stickpoke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fDltkqyV14

Fullout19
04-24-2008, 05:36 PM
could prolly go a little lower and try not rounding your back as much...seemed ok tho

shamoo
04-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Yea, I would say back was a little rounded, but I know from experience it's a lot harder to keep a flat back on rack pulls than off the ground.

jesus rocks
04-25-2008, 09:26 AM
actually, thats on purpose. Ive done a significant amount of reading about starting your pulls off like this and then flexing your erectors as you pull and I really feel like its made a differance...

could prolly go a little lower I couuulld, but, hernia isses. I just had surgery a couple months back and up until about a week ago I thought I had popped it again. When Im back to 100% I'll be pulling from the floor.

president_fad
04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
whatever you read is wrong, you do not start with ur back rounded.

Angel of Death
04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
whatever you read is wrong, you do not start with ur back rounded.

agreed. you do not transfer the stress onto your erectors right away. sometimes it happens when you set a huge PR that some of it does get transfered to your erectors however that is after much conditioning. doing it with a rounder back is bad.

jesus rocks
04-25-2008, 11:10 AM
whatever you read is wrong, you do not start with ur back rounded Thats what I thought at first too. Not so much rounded as relaxed. Im as strong as I've ever been on these now, by a about 75lbs. I see IA is reading, maybe he will chime in...thanks though, for your advice.

jesus rocks
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
let me also mention Im talking about doing sumo rack pulls, this way. Not deads or even conventional rack pulls. I try to inititate the lift with my hams and glutes.

Angel of Death
04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
let me also mention Im talking about doing sumo rack pulls, this way. Not deads or even conventional rack pulls. I try to inititate the lift with my hams and glutes.

either way. no one intentionally adds more stress onto the erectors.

jesus rocks
04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
either way. no one intentionally adds more stress onto the erectors.
Im sorry, I think we lost each other.lol. I don't remember saying something about intentionally adding stress to the erectors. Are you referring to my statement
then flexing your erectors as you pull
?

Angel of Death
04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Im sorry, I think we lost each other.lol. I don't remember saying something about intentionally adding stress to the erectors. Are you referring to my statement

?

yes. that statement and the fact that your back is rounded from the get-go.

jesus rocks
04-25-2008, 02:42 PM
so, whats wrong with having stress on the erectors again? matter of fact, is it even possible to deadlift, a variation of any kind, without putting stress on the erectors? Im not sure what your trying to say. I must have dame branage or something lol.

Angel of Death
04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
so, whats wrong with having stress on the erectors again? matter of fact, is it even possible to deadlift, a variation of any kind, without putting stress on the erectors? Im not sure what your trying to say. I must have dame branage or something lol.

the idea is to NOT round the back and MINIMIZE direct stress on the erectors. read my posts again, JR. if you deadlift with a rounded back you put more stress on your erectors than you would if you had an arched back. it is similar to squatting with a rounded back. does anyone approve of it? do you bench with a rounded back? no? why?

jesus rocks
04-25-2008, 03:14 PM
aaah, I see what your saying. I understand what you mean, and thats why I was like, "what the???" when I first read about this technique. I don't round my back when I bench or squat and I understand how that would be dangerous, but since keeping the first 2 or 3 inches slightly rounded and contracting my back as I move upwards I've been able to give more and more. I feel less and less strain in my groin/hernia area, Im moving more weight, and the spot on the distal portion or my lower back no longer bothers me AT ALL.

I understand that its against conventional wisdom but I'd have to say it's been working well for me.

Angel of Death
04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I understand that its against conventional wisdom but I'd have to say it's been working well for me.

well, what can i say? good luck to you then JR!

Andrew.Cook
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
To be ON TOPIC, and yes I know this is a rather old thread, but this is the first time I've read it...

The last strongman comp I went to I watched a guy my size (200- lbs) pull 700 and just barely miss 750 by pulling this way (18" starting height, but that is hardly an advantage in my experience). I talked to him about it and he just prefers rounded back DL's. Although I'll say that in watching him, there was not any rounding of the lumbar region. Not arched, but very flat and he pulled in this weird wide stance non-sumo position, which he also does on purpose. Kinda hard to explain, but it sure as hell worked for him.

adelman337
07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I have read many articles form some of the top power lifters saying you can pull more with a rounded upper back.