PDA

View Full Version : another deadlift form thread...

wheykrayz
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I've been working on deadlift form for some time. When IA and I speak, he encourages me to view the top lifters form. The problem is, a lot of the videos I've seen aren't very good, imo. I've seen some very impressive pulls, but I see their hips raise early just as I do or their back will round.

I'm not saying these guys don't know what they are doing, but for me to get a good visual to perfect my form, I need a good example. I think I finally found one.

This guy's name is Ed Coan. I'm sure you powerlifting guys know him, but this is my first time seeing his lifts. This is the first time I've seen a lift that actually gives me a good visual of leg drive.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_UMfQ7HA08Y

b_ambuehl
07-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Check out the deadlift form videos here:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=182421&postcount=6

F-Mac
07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Coan is one of the all time greats of powerlifting for sure.

Andrew.Cook
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I think that one of the things you are seeing is that when someone is engaged in a total effort lift, form regularly suffers a bit. We all wish we looked as pretty squatting 600lbs as we did squatting 100lbs, but that is rarely the case. I don't think it means these guys are fools, or they don't know what good form is, but in all honesty if you are looking at competition footage you are likely to see a little slop in there. Those guys are going for broke and while pushing weight is at the front of their minds, all the little form checks are probably out to lunch.

Doc D
07-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Totally agree with Andrew. Competition DL is a very different beast from sub-maximal training efforts. For folks who are lifting primarily for general development, the best form to emulate is probably akin to that used by weightlifters in the first phase of the clean: shoulders back, strong arch, etc. This works the desired muscles very hard, and is relatively forgiving on the back. Pulling a true max DL, however, usually involves some degree of thoracic rounding, and sometimes even rounding of the lower back (Lamar Gant is the obvious example of somebody whose form is just about as far from textbook as you can get - yet he was also quite probably the greatest DLer of all time!)

Horses for courses.