PDA

View Full Version : Box Squats

HIThopper
02-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Hey guys 1st time doing box squats heavy, just wanted to get a form check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoyDxZ4oF_Y

Thanks Hoppo!

Double3
02-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Looks pretty damn good to me.

XX
02-09-2008, 01:49 PM
great lookin squats. well below parallel too

Joe
02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Looked good. I would try and keep your body tighter though, your feet came up on some of the reps

HIThopper
02-09-2008, 04:09 PM
I would try and keep your body tighter though, your feet came up on some of the reps

That was my concern too, Ill work on them, I REALLY like box squats.

Joe
02-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Me too... Not only do they improve my squat, but my deadlift too... Absolute staple in my routines

topnotch
02-09-2008, 05:41 PM
definately looked good, and below parallel...the only thing i saw was as someone stated above, is w/ the front of your feet lookin a little light...

Siberian
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
This is not so much a critique as a question for some of the experienced guys...

Is it okay to be fully locking out your knees as in the video? I have heard opinions both ways on this, and expect to get more of the same, but I would be interested in hearing....

HIThopper
02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Is it okay to be fully locking out your knees as in the video?

What do you mean? Locking out at the completion of a rep?

Siberian
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Correct. Your knees look to be completely locked out, thus transferring the tension from the muscles to the knee joint itself. I have read this can potentially be very dangerous under high loading. Like said though, I have read conflicting information on this.

shamoo
02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Correct. Your knees look to be completely locked out, thus transferring the tension from the muscles to the knee joint itself. I have read this can potentially be very dangerous under high loading. Like said though, I have read conflicting information on this.

In that case, no one should ever deadlift. But I certainly have not done speed work because I don't know if my joints can take such a forceful lockout.

sdelu
02-28-2008, 03:51 AM
nice squats! fix that toe lifting problem yet?

is that a water cooler? how much weight does that thing even hold? i'm looking for something good to box squat off of that i won't kill myself on.

btw -- might want to look in to a new pair of shorts, they're lookin kinda small there ;)

Rafter
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
You are just dropping down. You need to sit back more. Almost to the point that you are falling back onto the box.

Get rid of the cooler and build a box of some sort. Head over to your hardware store and see if they have a scrap lumber section. Most have them and you can get some good lumber for dirt cheap.

HIThopper
02-29-2008, 07:44 AM
is that a water cooler? how much weight does that thing even hold?

Ya man a cooler its pretty sturdy but I do hear it start yto creak and squek a bit when I get a bit of weight on my back!

btw -- might want to look in to a new pair of shorts, they're lookin kinda small there

You know you love the shorts!!!

aczech
02-29-2008, 08:02 AM
pm me your addy, i'll send you a new pair of shorts

canefan17
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Be sure to press out at your feet to ensure hip drive.

Your quads should not be getting worked out much in Box Squats.

Also... on your last few sets you had a tendancy to not sit all the way back. Make sure you SIT BACK in the box an then explode.

Great form though for the most part.