PDA

View Full Version : Raw Bench...Tuck Elbows...You Sure?

Pale Rider
11-11-2007, 02:34 PM
It's videos like this:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/6436

that have me questioning whether or not I should be tucking elbows or not. I'll never have a bench shirt on, are you guys sure I need to be tucking the elbows, because my body is telling me otherwise. Shoulder blades together, of course. But it just seems like most of these guys doing these huge raw benches are not tucking their elbow. Some of you guys who are much wiser than myself, tell me why I'm wrong.:listen:

F-Mac
11-11-2007, 03:01 PM
looked semi-tucked to me. Probably not as much as most would prefer but you can't argue with his results......lol.

You need to find the "sweet spot" for yourself. For some it will be more tucked than others.

shamoo
11-11-2007, 03:02 PM
He only weighs 205???

How tall is he?

dbcb314
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
ok here is my view on the whole thing.

All this shirted shit, westside articles, elitefts, ect has brainwashed everyone to lift just like people in gear.

so when someone tells people to tuck their elbows, they automatically think they need to tuck them as hard as people in a shirt do. Which just isn't true at all.

This is a problem with people who say "tuck your elbows" bc they aren't being exactly clear. I have done it and realized what I was meaning by that statement isn't what the person who is hearing it gets out of the statement.

bascially... raw lifters need to tuck... to an extent. basically it means don't flair your elbows out BB'ing style. they need to be at around 45* like the dude in the video.

this is just my opinion... maybe some others think different. There is no reason to tuck your elbows like people in a shirt do. raw benching does involve the chest and there is simply no way around it.

Pale Rider
11-11-2007, 06:21 PM
So just basically let the elbows go where they want to naturally go, but just don't purposely flare them out? That's what I always did before I started making a conscious effort to tuck them.

Halfway
11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
what db said

I'm far from 500 paused but if I did shirted shennanigans and tried to rotate my elbows in and belly bench then I doubt I'd be able to put up anything like what I can.. it's not a good groove for a raw bench

shamoo
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
what db said

I'm far from 500 paused but if I did shirted shennanigans and tried to rotate my elbows in and belly bench then I doubt I'd be able to put up anything like what I can.. it's not a good groove for a raw bench

I can attest to that. I tried doing that for my regular bench and wasted a month lol

dbcb314
11-11-2007, 08:32 PM
So just basically let the elbows go where they want to naturally go, but just don't purposely flare them out? That's what I always did before I started making a conscious effort to tuck them.
i conciously tuck a little bit, if not it hurts my shoulders a lot

can you get a vid?

Pale Rider
11-11-2007, 08:56 PM
can you get a vid?

Of myself? Sure. It'll be sometime into next week though because I'll have to get my wife to video it & our schedules are conflicting right now. I'll post it here & PM you in case youe miss it. Thanks

Hoops
11-11-2007, 11:27 PM
They are tucked, but you can't tuck them like a shirted lifter does with a grip that wide, at least that's the way it looked to me. The only time you really would keep them by your body would be a close grip set, or at least that's how I've done it.

Joe
11-12-2007, 12:16 AM
I tuck pretty hard. Not as much as a shirted bencher but no way in hell would my shoulders last if i did a bb style bench

newuser1986
11-12-2007, 07:32 AM
I tuck pretty hard. Not as much as a shirted bencher but no way in hell would my shoulders last if i did a bb style bench
same here. i was benching 355 for 3 reps 2 years ago, but after messing up my right upper back and shoulders i was having problems getting past 200. i was always hovering around 205 and whenever i would go heavier my shoulder would get fucked up. after i started consciously tucking my elbows i have been slowly and steadily moving up with little to no shoulder problems. im up to about 280 now so it shouldnt be too long hopefully

Sand Blaster
11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:kchy9sCBijsJ:www.basrat.org/docs/carly_green_bench_press_journal_2007.pdf+biacromia l+width&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

That study recommends less that 1.5 times your biacromial width to save your shoulders and pectorals from strain and injury. And it recommends an elbow tuck with 45 degree or less if I remember correctly.

SB

XX
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I ahve a bit of a tuck, but nothing absurd, I agree with the guys above me, find what your comfortable with and whats the strongest position for you. heres an example of how i do it

http://www.apexlogik.net/Weights/Vids/xx-440-bench.WMV

F-Mac
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Nice benchin XX, but that looked pretty tucked to me!..........:D

dbcb314
11-12-2007, 05:40 PM
damn that looks really tucked XX... maybe its just the angle

and why does the vid stop before the deadlift !!!

Joe
11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Thats exactly how I tuck, the way XX benches. i feel no pain in the shoulders ever, and I feel like i get a lot of power out of it.

oh and great lift XX :D very impressive im gonna catch your ass

XX
11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
i guess it is more tucked now that I watch it again, lol

Skar, in a way I hope ya do catch me and a way I hope ya dont, im sure you understand :D

the dead is another vid

aznhakgui
11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
i jsut tried tucking my elbows like xx and i felt so much stronger!

badlood909
12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Not that it has to do anything with tucking, but isn't the guy in the video benching with a fairly wide grip?

topnotch
12-16-2007, 11:24 PM
That's a pretty normal grip to me...fingers on the rings...

topnotch
12-16-2007, 11:29 PM
sorry i didnt know if you meant the original video or XX's video...the original one did seem a little wide, i think b/c the guy looks like he's probably a fairly short guy...but it does work for him

EctoMaximus
02-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Benching without a shirt: The extreme tuck will cause shoulder problems and the extreme flared will do the same. However each person is different so the elbow position will vary according to the individual.

Also realize that some people even with the most perfect form have joint complications.

Mudge
02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I tuck, I have since ~265, I was hurting my shoulders pretty consistently without that. I end up benching well below the nipples because of it, works great - for me.

Forefinger on the ring is 'max legal wide' in competition, I am tall and am now reduced to almost always pinky on the ring - a power close-grip. I will occasionally use a max legal wide which might buy me 5 pounds, doing it regularly though seemed to eat my left shoulder, and it doesn't buy me much.