PDA

View Full Version : Box Squat Form

EricS
10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
This is only my 2nd time doing box squats so I figured I'd be better off starting on a box a little too high than too low (this one is 16 inches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiLXwB2SNg4

Any thoughts/critiques/criticisms on my form?

Siberian
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Be sure to keep your head up. It seems it may have dropped down a bit on a couple reps.

Are you purposely doing a touch-and-go type of squat? I prefer to sit back on the box, literally sit down as if you were sitting in a chair, and then explode up off it. This would depend on what you are trying to accomplish though.

Somewhat tough to tell from the angle, but your knees seem to bow inward a bit. When this happened to me, I pointed my toes outward more, as opposed to my feet being parallel. Again it may just be the angle that made it look as if this is happening to you, but it may not be.

This is entirely preference, but you may consider moving the bench in closer so that you don't have to walk quite as far with the weight on your back, especially considering you don't squat in a power rack.

dbcb314
10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
1. get the box lower if you dont have injury problems. it is no better starting on a high or low box... its all the same. A lower box will work a lot better for you results wise.

2. *true* box squats you sit on the box for a while instead of touch n go. but touch n go box squats are still fine too. most people who touch n go do it to make sure they reach depth.

3. from the angle it looks like your stance is really wide and your knees are bowing in. IF you knees really are caving in, move in your stance. As a basketball player (if i remember right that is the sport you play) I would move my stance in anyhow.

4. head up. slam your head/neck back into the bar and keep it there.

your form was actually pretty good and your doing a decent amount of weight

EricS
10-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the feedback

I will try to find something lower to squat on, but right now that is the only thing I have available... I am planning on asking for one of the real boxes from Elite FTS for Christmas however

I wasn't going touch-n-go on purpose. I'm box squatting because I'm not 100% confident on my form on Free Back Squats and I have a weak posterior chain that I want to build up. Also, I had read that they are easier to recover from than deadlifts which is a big plus for me because as a basketball player, my training also includes skill work and sprints.

Last week I had posted my video on some different forums and they told me that I was "rocking back and sitting up too much" so I tried to fix that today and that may have resulted in the touch-n-go that I was doing

Here is last week where I was "rocking back and sitting too upright"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xg36DJoehA

I'm not sure if my knees were caving in or if it was just the angle, but could me being severely pidgeon toed have any affect on this? My hips turn in causing my feet to turn in causing people to laugh when I walk lol - could this be a cause of my knees turning in when I squat?

I'll be more conscious of keeping my head up next time

dbcb314
10-12-2007, 03:59 PM
you did rock back a little too much. A little rocking is ok, but you shouldnt be getting that upright. When you start getting heavier weight onyour back that won't be very safe.

do like you did in the older video and just dont rock back so far.

Siberian
10-12-2007, 06:24 PM
1. get the box lower if you dont have injury problems. it is no better starting on a high or low box... its all the same. A lower box will work a lot better for you results wise.

2. *true* box squats you sit on the box for a while instead of touch n go. but touch n go box squats are still fine too. most people who touch n go do it to make sure they reach depth.

3. from the angle it looks like your stance is really wide and your knees are bowing in. IF you knees really are caving in, move in your stance. As a basketball player (if i remember right that is the sport you play) I would move my stance in anyhow.

4. head up. slam your head/neck back into the bar and keep it there.

your form was actually pretty good and your doing a decent amount of weight

At first I thought this post was a joke because you said almost the exact same things as I did but then I realized we posted so close together. Good to know I'm seeing some of the same things as someone who is much further along in the lifting game than I.