PDA

View Full Version : Squat Technique

HIThopper
04-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Hey guys and gals please critique my form Im tryin to squat as described in Starting Strength.Is this "correct" Hip drive??? any help is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQRfsMozHk

Cheers HIThopper

shamoo
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
You seem to start well (i.e. ass back) but then you push your knees forward. I'm not saying your knees can't move but focus more on sitting back in your squat. Depth is good.

L.U.V.
05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Lookin good

Weilder
05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
look up more, your body will always follow your head. cant tell if your pushing with your heels or not.
keep up the good work.

EDIT: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459389 that is a good thread for squatting tips BTW.

weilder

dbcb314
05-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Keep your chest up. I looks like you are looking down slightly and it is causing your ass to come up first. You want to lead with your chest.

Really isn't bad at all though.

HIThopper
05-02-2007, 02:20 AM
hey guys thanks for the replys
I been working on it for a while now its slowly getting a little better.Mark Rippetoe actually writes in starting strength that I should look down and the ass should be the first thing to come up!!! lol no wonder im confused!! lol BTW that was a pretty cool article thanks for the heads up.

Well we live and we learn so ima keep at it.

Cheers HIThopper

PS I will probably post more vids soon to see if my form has changed at all.

dbcb314
05-02-2007, 08:35 AM
hey guys thanks for the replys
I been working on it for a while now its slowly getting a little better.Mark Rippetoe actually writes in starting strength that I should look down and the ass should be the first thing to come up!!! lol no wonder im confused!! lol BTW that was a pretty cool article thanks for the heads up.

Well we live and we learn so ima keep at it.

Cheers HIThopper

PS I will probably post more vids soon to see if my form has changed at all.
Does he really? That seems odd.

I have never heard someone say look down. Some say looking straight ahead, and some people say look up, but never down.

And the ass coming up first leads to a lot of people (like me) GM'ing the weight up. Maybe he has a different definition of "ass coming up" than I do.

Anyone know the reasons what he says this? Hell maybe I am wrong lol.

HIThopper
05-03-2007, 03:50 AM
DBCB I will post the email Mark sent me.I mailed him the link to my vid and he told me some things to work on.I will get his permission to post it 1st cos some peeps are a little touchy about those things!!!

Cheers HIThopper

HIThopper
05-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Ok guys heres a new vid, I think its better but there is a buttload of blokes squatting heaps more than me here so let me know what ya think!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnMmAe641VI

Here is also a great poster from marks site it gives a step by step instruction for squatting with a visual aid toboot. It gives you the basic set up of how he describes squatting, like bar and foot placement, looking down etc.

http://www.startingstrength.com/images/squatposter.jpg

Cheers HIThopper

synthetickiller
05-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Before I even attempt to say whats "wrong" with it, are you more of a quad or hamstring squatter?

This is important for an almost limitless number of ways to set up. I squat with a high bar ( I can't ever seem to get the bar to sit back far enough), so bringing my stance in helps. I looks like you're holding the bar high on your back. How wide is your stance?

As well, like other's have said, chest out, back arched, head looking forward or up (NEVER DOWN). Work on the first two, you have no head problems unlike me. Maybe being a little bit nuts is a good thing :tounge2:

As well, do you always lift barefoot? Wearing shoes will give you a very different set up stance and form due to how your feet are set. If you do lift with shoes ( I would say you should, dropping plats on your toes HURTS!), shoot another video and see if your form changes at all, or even if your set up does. Thats important to consider.

In terms of your hips, your first set looks like your hips are firing late. They catch up to everything else as the sets continue. You should try to do some posterior chain work if you can.

From my own experience, if you fail about a 1/3 of the way to a1/2 the way up, its most likely posterior chain not being strong enough and you can't throw your hips forward to help drive out of the hole. I might be wrong, this is just how it appears to me when I squat. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Ab work never hurts, add in some posterior chain work and just keep good form and monitor it. Seems like it should not be an issue with a little supplemental work.

HIThopper
05-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Hi synthetic firstly I am led to believe squatting is a Hips and hammy movement so Im a hammy squatter.

I am working on getting that bar lower, it should sit on my rear delts flexability is coming along a bit better.

I was lifting barefoot all the time as squatting nike airs feels shit, but I tried out some new shoes with a hard heel today and they felt good.Ill use em from now on.

Ok posterior chain work what is it ,I lift at home can it be done at home?? I am going to start some box squatting to perfect the hip drive do ya think that would help??

Cheers HIThopper

synthetickiller
05-14-2007, 02:53 PM
These are some exercises you can do.

I copied this from some site:

Glute hamstring raises, hyper extensions, reverse-hyper extensions, good mornings and their variations, Romanian deadlifts, stiff-leg deadlifts, single-leg squats with a deep range of motion, and lunges with weight shifted on the heel.

Get some Ideas and do some research, thats half the battle. These should push you in the right direction.

Box squatting is great for form, but don't let yourself get used to a box. Still do a ton of free squatting. Box squatting is really only for double ply powerlifters IMO.

And about squatting, it can be either hams/glutes or quads. Check out Captian Kirk squat 1003 lbs back in the 90s. He was a quad squatter. As well, check out any olympic lifter. No wide stances, EVER, and they do back squats of 600 for triples, no belt of course. Depends on what groups you want to work or if you are going for strength, which you are built for.

dbcb314
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi synthetic firstly I am led to believe squatting is a Hips and hammy movement so Im a hammy squatter.

I am working on getting that bar lower, it should sit on my rear delts flexability is coming along a bit better.

I was lifting barefoot all the time as squatting nike airs feels shit, but I tried out some new shoes with a hard heel today and they felt good.Ill use em from now on.

Ok posterior chain work what is it ,I lift at home can it be done at home?? I am going to start some box squatting to perfect the hip drive do ya think that would help??

Cheers HIThopper
how much do you squat?

For people who don't squat a bunch, the best way to get getting at squats is to simply squat.

ST: I don't agree about the box squatting thing at all.

F-Mac
05-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Box squatting is really only for double ply powerlifters IMO.

I definitely don't agree with this. Box squatting has tons of benefits for any lifter, regardless of goals.

synthetickiller
05-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I guess it depends on the context.

I'm thinking of replacing the free squat w/ box squats entirely for your main squat movement.

As for sitting back, its great. Once you get that down, you're basically set. At least in terms of squat form if you are a wider stance squatter.

The box is great for form, but also poses a lot of problems. I'll list a few to give you guys a reason why I stopped using a box.

1. It was easier for me to squat more weight off a box than free squatting. It actually caused my free squat to go down. I was able to sit and relax, then go up. While most love this and say its a great way to learn to fire your posterior chain and other muscle groups, I could never find a carry over to a real squat. You don't release tension in a real squat, so why do so on a box?

2. I didn't find the motion normal. I would always end up sitting too far back. While it "felt right", I could never duplicate it in a free squat.

3. The whole rocking problem. Sitting that far back ( and I don't mean actually rocking back and sitting up) tends to force you to rock forward a bit to get the motion going.

I worked on my "box squat form" (isn't that joke?) to where I would not rock, but I ended up with a box squat where I would sit down, not very far back, and hold the tension like in a real squat. I box squatted for about 3 years like this with a few improvements before getting turned off of it. It was great if you use a suit, but for raw work, other than form correction, it seemed like a waste to me.

I've never even used double ply, but working with pretty heavy duty single ply stuff, there wasn't much need to use a box for it.

The only benefit I could see from box squats were the speed work to help the top end. Again, this is geared towards a geared lifter, although I would even argue it has its uses for a raw lifter in terms of speed building.

If you want to get better at squatting, then squat. Don't use gimmicks and variations. You'll get good at those and not move as fast at your desired goal.

EDIT: I figured I need to explain my last statement.

If you look at what a lot of the European lifters have done, they stick to the basics, push, pull, squat. This includes the Russians and Ukrainians and they are known as some of the best lifters in the world. There are variations of lifts that help, but I disagree whole heartedly that teaching squatting on a box is a good thing over teaching a free squat. Its like teaching benching with boards, its not the same. Anyone who's box squatted can tell you that.

HIThopper
05-15-2007, 03:50 AM
how much do you squat?

For people who don't squat a bunch, the best way to get getting at squats is to simply squat.

ST: I don't agree about the box squatting thing at all.

Hi mate Im at a top set of about 210 or so for 5 reps, so no I definately dont squat a bunch. I am fairly new to REAL squats as before Marks book I used the evil smith machine to squat!!!!

Anyone out there got Starting Strength and if so does my form conform to Marks descriptions??

maverick_
05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
I guess it depends on the context.

I'm thinking of replacing the free squat w/ box squats entirely for your main squat movement.

As for sitting back, its great. Once you get that down, you're basically set. At least in terms of squat form if you are a wider stance squatter.

The box is great for form, but also poses a lot of problems. I'll list a few to give you guys a reason why I stopped using a box.

1. It was easier for me to squat more weight off a box than free squatting. It actually caused my free squat to go down. I was able to sit and relax, then go up. While most love this and say its a great way to learn to fire your posterior chain and other muscle groups, I could never find a carry over to a real squat. You don't release tension in a real squat, so why do so on a box?

2. I didn't find the motion normal. I would always end up sitting too far back. While it "felt right", I could never duplicate it in a free squat.

3. The whole rocking problem. Sitting that far back ( and I don't mean actually rocking back and sitting up) tends to force you to rock forward a bit to get the motion going.

I worked on my "box squat form" (isn't that joke?) to where I would not rock, but I ended up with a box squat where I would sit down, not very far back, and hold the tension like in a real squat. I box squatted for about 3 years like this with a few improvements before getting turned off of it. It was great if you use a suit, but for raw work, other than form correction, it seemed like a waste to me.

I've never even used double ply, but working with pretty heavy duty single ply stuff, there wasn't much need to use a box for it.

The only benefit I could see from box squats were the speed work to help the top end. Again, this is geared towards a geared lifter, although I would even argue it has its uses for a raw lifter in terms of speed building.

If you want to get better at squatting, then squat. Don't use gimmicks and variations. You'll get good at those and not move as fast at your desired goal.

EDIT: I figured I need to explain my last statement.

If you look at what a lot of the European lifters have done, they stick to the basics, push, pull, squat. This includes the Russians and Ukrainians and they are known as some of the best lifters in the world. There are variations of lifts that help, but I disagree whole heartedly that teaching squatting on a box is a good thing over teaching a free squat. Its like teaching benching with boards, its not the same. Anyone who's box squatted can tell you that.

you literally have no idea what you are talking about. where did you "learn" how to box squat? who are you to call into question the benfits of box squatting? and seriously, you are going to sit there and call box squatting a "gimmick?" thats insane.