PDA

View Full Version : elbows flared vs tucked

shagnscoob
03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I've heard that the powerlifting style bench press involves tucking the elbows, but I've never understand the difference between tucked and flared. Can anyone show me 2 videos where I can see the difference and make sure I'm doing it right?

Thanks

Sand Blaster
03-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Elbows next to your side, tucked.

Elbows purposely away from your sides, flared.

I have some videos, but it would be easier to shoot a new one on Wed.

SB

~David~
03-19-2007, 07:16 AM
SB, how much should you tuck the elbow with bench pressing? i never used to tuck them and the ulna was on around 90degree angle from my side. I think thats why i have developed some shoulder pain on my left side.

With PL training how much should this angle be depending on different body structures.

Sand Blaster
03-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I tuck mine for the most part. Tuck is going to be relative to your grip, the narrower the grip, the less likely you can fully tuck.

I rarely bench with my elbows greater than 45 degrees from my side. Gone are the days of 90 degrees and feeling like my pecs are going to rip off of my shoulders.

I do almost all of my dumbbell work with a hammer grip, which allows one to easily tuck.

SB

~David~
03-19-2007, 01:30 PM
I tuck mine for the most part. Tuck is going to be relative to your grip, the narrower the grip, the less likely you can fully tuck.

I rarely bench with my elbows greater than 45 degrees from my side. Gone are the days of 90 degrees and feeling like my pecs are going to rip off of my shoulders.

I do almost all of my dumbbell work with a hammer grip, which allows one to easily tuck.

SB

Thanks for the advice. Ill start tugging my wings in.

Swellin
03-19-2007, 01:44 PM

SB

That's because when you get some age on you...your pecs won't feel like they are going to rip from your shoulders...they actually rip away from your shoulders.

I can stand to stay away from the doc for an other shoulder injury. That's why I keep mine tucked.

shagnscoob
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Oh wow. I was doing Bench Presses COMPLETELY flared. No wonder my left shoulder didn't feel so great afterward.

shagnscoob
03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZEgKXsAk0U

Theres a video of Troponin over at intensemuscle doing flat benches. I can tell that his elbows are tucked at a little less than 45 degrees, whereas I was trying intentionally to keep my elbows arms perpendicular.

If I'm tucking my elbows, should I also bring the bar down lower on my chest? I was bringing it down to an inch or so below my nipples but it looks like Trop takes his down a lot farther?

dbcb314
03-19-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZEgKXsAk0U

Theres a video of Troponin over at intensemuscle doing flat benches. I can tell that his elbows are tucked at a little less than 45 degrees, whereas I was trying intentionally to keep my elbows arms perpendicular.

If I'm tucking my elbows, should I also bring the bar down lower on my chest? I was bringing it down to an inch or so below my nipples but it looks like Trop takes his down a lot farther?
It looks like it is right under his nipples or at lowest top of the abs.

Swellin
03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
I would barely consider those elbows tucked, but they certainly aren't flared. He does tuck them somewhat. However, he brings the bar down right below his pecs and hits the spot that most of us hit (except powerlifters who go a bit lower because their body is cocked upward).

shagnscoob
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Well like I said his elbows are far more tucked than mine were. I've been noticing it in a lot of videos though since I posted that.

Swellin
03-19-2007, 10:59 PM
That's how we learn bud. Watching others and asking questions. This is an excellent thread btw.

iron addict
03-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Excessive flared shoulder benching is why benches have a bad rep in BB'ing as shoulder/pec wreakers. If done tucked, shouder issues are MUCH less an issue. Most BB'ers don't know any other way to bench but with a super wide flare, bar path high on the chest, and not enough control. Monkey see monkey do, and it is all in a lame attempt to make a big compond movement something it was never meant to be--a chest isolation exercise.

IA

dbcb314
03-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Excessive flared shoulder benching is why benches have a bad rep in BB'ing as shoulder/pec wreakers. If done tucked, shouder issues are MUCH less an issue. Most BB'ers don't know any other way to bench but with a super wide flare, bar path high on the chest, and not enough control. Monkey see monkey do, and it is all in a lame attempt to make a big compond movement something it was never meant to be--a chest isolation exercise.

IA
Didn't Vince Garondi start the "flair elbows, touch near neck to isolate chest" thing?

I myself just bench with a natural tuck. I don't forcefully do it, it just happens. I never benched with purposeful flaired elbows... even back in the day I was all about putting up the most weight possible and flaired elbow didn't allow that. I probably bench a the same angle as Trop.

shagnscoob
03-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Maybe I should have someone look at the way I'm benching because I never consciously did anything about it either, but i just thought the elbows and the bar were supposed to stay parallel with eachother. Tomorow I'm going to fool around with it, and see what happens.

~David~
03-20-2007, 07:22 AM
this is a good article on bench form from EliteFTS (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/progression_of_the_bench.htm)

A big thanks to Sandblaster for the wings tucked in tip. Tried it last night and had a pain free bench workout for the first time in weeks.

dbcb314
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe I should have someone look at the way I'm benching because I never consciously did anything about it either, but i just thought the elbows and the bar were supposed to stay parallel with eachother. Tomorow I'm going to fool around with it, and see what happens.
Take a vid man. Quickest way to find problems and fix them.

shagnscoob
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Alright well I didn't have time to prepare to get a vid, plus I go right afterschool and I didn't want to bring a camera to school. But sometime in the next 2 weeks I'm going to try to get a video.

It seems like tucking elbows is going to take a lot more practice than I thought, but I also need to work on my stablizers too becuase I'm still wobbly on the legit barbell (instead of the smythe).

I also noticed that it's more difficult to keep the wrists straight when you're thinking of tucking your elbows, but that doesn't seem like as serious an issue as fucked up shoulders. My left shoulder feels better than it used to, but I could still improve a lot.

Sand Blaster
03-20-2007, 11:20 PM
If you try to "pull apart" the bar between your hands, your elbows are more likely to stay tucked within reason. A miniband doubled around your wrists will teach you that quickly while benching.

SB

shagnscoob
03-20-2007, 11:23 PM
If you try to "pull apart" the bar between your hands, your elbows are more likely to stay tucked within reason. A miniband doubled around your wrists will teach you that quickly while benching.

SB

Good visualization there. I don't have access to bands yet, I'm going to try this though.

I need to start setting aside a day a week for lifting with absolute minimal weights to start getting my form down better.

Swellin
03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Awesome tip SB. I haven't benched in so long that I had completely forgotten that one.

Shagnscoob, you might need to experiment with your hand position just a bit to help with your tuck. Use light weight and don't move your hands from your normal position very much. Just a little out and a little in the next time. Just see what feels best for you when trying to tuck your elbows...as well as using the "pull apart" idea.

shagnscoob
03-28-2007, 01:22 AM
I was watching clips from Branch Warren's dvd and I think my grip was a little wide as well. I didn't try it with weights, but I tried benching with a little bit of a closer grip, pulling out, and thinking of tucking my wings in and it felt A LOT better than it used to. The real test is next week.

snottball
03-28-2007, 06:08 AM
I have always used quite a narrow grip so does that mean I will be tucking the elbows naturally? the wider the grip the less chance there is of doing this?

topgun322
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Can you do the same thing with incline bench?

Also I have the same problem, I tuck well with close grip but I have a problem when I use I do regular bench even though I move my hands each hand maybe 2 inches out .

I have always used quite a narrow grip so does that mean I will be tucking the elbows naturally? the wider the grip the less chance there is of doing this?

L.U.V.
03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
ball, basically yea

steltz02
05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
My left arm was always flared more then my right arm. Consequently my chest started to develop a little strangely, and eventually I learned to flare both arms. I thought the proper way to lift was with the big flare, primarily cause that is what everyone in the gym does. Looks like my right arm had it right the whole time, and I will try to train my left arm to do the same as my right. Damn left arm... Thanks for this thread guys, great forum.

Vivi Ornitier
05-03-2007, 04:48 AM
What position should you wrist be?
I try to get my elbows tucked as much as i can but the more i tuck the more my wrist/hands curl back when the bar gets closer to my chest.
what is the best position (pushing wise and preventing injury):
hands straight up (wrist alaigns with your arm like | )
hands bend back towards your chest
hands bend forewards towards elbows.

dbcb314
05-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Wrists always straight

fufu
05-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I keep the elbows relatively tucked in. It makes it easier to bring the bar lower which helps me use my lats more when getting it off the chest.

Big Mike
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
I have always flared my elbows. That is probably why it seems like my left shoulder never seemed to heal after my injury.

would a narrower grip make it easier to tuck? or would a wider grip?

the bar should hit my lower chest (if i had one.. lol)/ upper abs, right? or whatever feels comfortable while i'm keeping my 'bows are tucked?

should i expect the weight on the bar to increase or decrease?

idk
05-24-2007, 08:45 PM
how bout our own DBCB314, are his tucked? (sorry dcbc, i hope this is alright)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fa1tMn26dk&NR=1

dbcb314
05-24-2007, 08:52 PM
lol it alright.

God my set up is terrible in that vid... I am not tight at all....

That music pwns all too... Timberlake FTW

Big Mike
05-26-2007, 10:21 PM
i tucked my elbows for the first time today while doing DB bench press. i added 15 pounds to it! and after doing 4 sets of 10 reps, i went to see how much it improved my added to my BB press. i easily put up of previous 1 rep max... and this was after a 4x10!

shamoo
05-27-2007, 12:15 AM
how bout our own DBCB314, are his tucked? (sorry dcbc, i hope this is alright)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fa1tMn26dk&NR=1

Look tucked to me. That is how mine look when I bench (or how I think they look, I have never taken a video)