View Full Version : 375x5 Box Squat

dbcb314
01-21-2007, 06:08 PM
375x5

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W7e2vdFQzKE

any critiques would be great

G-S
01-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Pretty darn good from that angle. Remember to keep your shins parralell, and sit back and down on the box.

Sand Blaster
01-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Watch your feet in the video. About the second rep you are driving with your heel--and it makes you a bit unstable, you then in the next few reps start driving off the heel and outside of your foot like you are supposed to.

Good work, bad music.

SB

dbcb314
01-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Ahhh, nice eye sand blaster.

and yes bad music... i was listening ot DMX in the mp3 though... so no worries :)

Dean3228
01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Good work!

How's that feel on your knees? I don't have Sandblaster's eye or experience, but the hips look a little further forward than I try to get to (the sit down _and_ back bit).

Sand Blaster
01-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Good work!

How's that feel on your knees? I don't have Sandblaster's eye or experience, but the hips look a little further forward than I try to get to (the sit down _and_ back bit).

With angles and videos, it is hard to tell. Ideally you want to push your ass back....

SB

dbcb314
01-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Good work!

My knees never ever ever ever have hurt during box squats. And they rarely hurt during reg squats.

It is only when I used to do full squats (olympic style) did my knee hurt. My right patella tendon would burn for days. I think it had somethign to do with my acl surgery because I used to squat that deep in high school.

Dean3228
01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Cool... sounds like it. ACL? Football?

I see you got the funds to sign on with Wesley, good deal... I'm sure he'll have some hard comments on your form.

dbcb314
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Cool... sounds like it. ACL? Football?

I see you got the funds to sign on with Wesley, good deal... I'm sure he'll have some hard comments on your form.
yeah football

Joe
01-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Dean - box squats are very very easy on the knees

i agree with everyone elses advice. they looked damn good , but you were a bit unstable and I think sb hit that one on the head

Hoops
01-21-2007, 10:39 PM
What's the box made out of?

dbcb314
01-21-2007, 10:43 PM
just stacked bumper plates

shamoo
01-22-2007, 06:53 PM
My knees never ever ever ever have hurt during box squats. And they rarely hurt during reg squats.

It is only when I used to do full squats (olympic style) did my knee hurt. My right patella tendon would burn for days. I think it had somethign to do with my acl surgery because I used to squat that deep in high school.

Hey man, my knee is messed up right now. It happened after I started doing full squats (about 3-4 months after I regularly did them). How deep do you go on squats now and do you ever get pain again?

The doc said I don't have ligament damage but it was only supposed to take 2 weeks to heal its been 7 and I think its going to take at least another month. Every few days I'll do a little stretch or bodyweight squat to see how the pain is, seems the more pronounced the bend in the knee is (i.e. deeper I go, or more/harder I stretch) the more there is pain. I can deadlift no pain right now but I am not doing anything involving significant weight on my knee.

Just curious how you dealt with your injury.

dbcb314
01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey man, my knee is messed up right now. It happened after I started doing full squats (about 3-4 months after I regularly did them). How deep do you go on squats now and do you ever get pain again?

The doc said I don't have ligament damage but it was only supposed to take 2 weeks to heal its been 7 and I think its going to take at least another month. Every few days I'll do a little stretch or bodyweight squat to see how the pain is, seems the more pronounced the bend in the knee is (i.e. deeper I go, or more/harder I stretch) the more there is pain. I can deadlift no pain right now but I am not doing anything involving significant weight on my knee.

Just curious how you dealt with your injury.
Which injury are you talking about? You talking about how I dealt with ACL surgery or how I deal with the fact my patella tendon burns when I do full squats?

shamoo
01-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Which injury are you talking about? You talking about how I dealt with ACL surgery or how I deal with the fact my patella tendon burns when I do full squats?

Both, but moreso patella because that is the area I get pain in.

dbcb314
01-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Well I will keep this as short as I can...

ACL:

Time and lots of rehab haha. 7 months before I was cleared, then another 9-12 months before I quit worrying about it/it was as good as it was going to get. My ACL is perfect... I can play bball, lift weights, ect and my knee doesn't swell anymore.

Patella:

For my ACL reconstruction, they used the middle 1/3 of my patella. I think this is what causes my pain. BUT, it only pops up when I squat really really deep (ALL the way down, olympic style). When I used to do this, my patella would burn for a few days. So the solution... I just quit squatting that deep haha. No I get a couple inches under parallel and come back up.

Doc D
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Looked very solid, despite a little instability at the top. All the more so if you've had knee surgery, I'd strongly recommend knee sleeves (e.g. 7mm Rehband). Your knees will thank you in the long run!

Vivi Ornitier
01-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Just a question, when doing box squats how high is the box supposed to be ?
Doesn't it take away the tension on the legs when you sit down(don't they relax just like your sitting normaly), and isn't that harder then to get up again ?

dbcb314
01-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Just a question, when doing box squats how high is the box supposed to be ?
Doesn't it take away the tension on the legs when you sit down(don't they relax just like your sitting normaly), and isn't that harder then to get up again ?
Well, technically any height box haha. A lot of PL'ers will use really high boxes (like quarter squats) to train the lockout for squats and to get used to heavy ass poundages.

For most people though, any where below parallel.

Yes it does take tension of the legs when I sit down. You sit down on the box, keep your core tight as hell, and relax your glutes, then explode up.

And yes, it is harder to get up haha. I have maxed 455 on reg squats and could probably do 400 ish for 5 reps... so I am losing about 25-40 lbs.

Richard85
01-27-2007, 04:33 PM
so you can full squat more or less than box? btw by full I mean below parallel

dbcb314
01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
More